Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Trying something out a bit different from my usual slathered with inks and grime, thinking about it as a halfway house between cell shaded and grimdark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Briny Sea Pup
Mar 28, 2010
Thoughts on this set?

Looking for some basics as I start painting my dominion box set. I currently have the GW paint set for Stormcast/Kruleboyz.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

lenoon posted:

Trying something out a bit different from my usual slathered with inks and grime, thinking about it as a halfway house between cell shaded and grimdark.

That looks super cool. Hazards and checkers looks great! What model is that? What a chunky boy.

Briny Sea Pup posted:

Thoughts on this set?

Looking for some basics as I start painting my dominion box set. I currently have the GW paint set for Stormcast/Kruleboyz.

I’d recommend against it for two reasons. 1) of all the paint-makers army painter is the one I hear the least good things about. Not that they don’t work or anything, but people just generally don’t think they’re as good as citadel/vallejo. I don’t know if 2) generally I recommend again sets of paints. It’s a small set, so it’s not too bad, but it’s more economical to think about what colours you want to use and get those individually. This last thing part is less important as it’s a small set you’re looking at so won’t be too bad. The one set I would recommend is the beginner citadel ones, where you get a figure and the paints to paint them. They’re really inexpensive and you get a not awful brush too.

If you’re just starting out, Id generally recommend looking online at some tutorials for the models you want to paint (or just the back of the box), and pick up those colours to begin with. You can always get more experimental and branch out once you’ve painted a couple of models. Outside of that, you’ll probably want a couple of paints from the ‘Vallejo Metal Colour’ line though (don’t confuse it with the metallic colours), like the VMC steel and VMC silver at least. Also nuln oil and agrax earthshade you’ll likely want no matter what.

E: tbh, assuming it’s cheap, it’s probably not a bad set. I just think there are better options for starting out.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Briny Sea Pup posted:

Thoughts on this set?

I would say you're better off getting paints piecemeal. I bought an AP paint set about a year ago and of the 30 or so paints it came with I only use the flesh tones and quickshades (and even then I rarely use them). The paint quality is not that great, they need a tremendous amount of mixing to get to a workable point (hence why they include mixing beads).

You'll probably spend more, but you'll end up with paints you'll actually use rather than a couple paints you'll use and a bunch that will go in a bin.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yeah, I'd say if you're buying a paint set, only do it for something like the Vallejo sets where it's only like 8 paints all for a specific theme (Naval ships, Napoleonic troops, etc). Buying a set bigger than that is probably wasted money.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Are there a tier list for synthetic brushes the same way there are for natural hair ones? I'm looking for some nice middle tier ones, not crazy expensive, but not junk either.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Golden taklon, and not the absolute cheapest crap you can buy. Any synthetic brush will eventually have the tip gently caress up, at which point you've made yourself a perfectly lovely drybrush, scenery effect applicator, etc.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah, I'd say if you're buying a paint set, only do it for something like the Vallejo sets where it's only like 8 paints all for a specific theme (Naval ships, Napoleonic troops, etc). Buying a set bigger than that is probably wasted money.

Some of the small, specific sets are cool but I still only find myself using a handful of things from each. Like in the malefic flesh set from Vallejo, the forest skin and deep forest skin are really really good khaki and dark green colors, respectively. But I don't really use any of the other colors that much unless I'm painting faces. Which I guess yeah that's the purpose of the set, but I would rather just get the khaki and green color separately.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Some of the small, specific sets are cool but I still only find myself using a handful of things from each. Like in the malefic flesh set from Vallejo, the forest skin and deep forest skin are really really good khaki and dark green colors, respectively. But I don't really use any of the other colors that much unless I'm painting faces. Which I guess yeah that's the purpose of the set, but I would rather just get the khaki and green color separately.

Yeah, I meant the sets that are just like for camo patterns or uniforms. I have one of the skin sets and I don't use all of them, but that's more because i haven't bothered figuring out how to use them in a way that doesn't look like Trump's spray tan. But the sets for naval ships and British desert camo? Those all see some good use.

I just suggest getting sets if you have a use for all or most of the paints, and smaller sets are easier for that.

For khaki, I'm not home so I dunno the numbers, but i base with a VMC that's just called khaki, I think? And highlight with... I think it's Iraqi Sand? I'll check when I get home.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Iraqi Sand is my favorite medium-fair skin tone highlight.

But I do admit that the leather/wood set from Vallejo is really good and I use all those paints when doing fur. So that's one set I highly recommend. And I got a blue set from Scale75 I use a lot of colors from so there's also that. On that Ork I just posted the jacket is some of those.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
In Canada you are really only getting 8 for the price of 7 and at there is going to be at least one dud in the box. With mixing you could probably make due with the primary colour set but at that point you aren't a beginner or intermediate painter. Especially if you are trying to paint an army, colour matching would be a bitch.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
If you're just getting started I'd reccomend one of the Vallejo starter sets. Something like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Game-Color-Intro-Set-16/dp/B000PHCTRK

It's got your core primary colors, some browns, greys, black and white. You can mix these colors to get just about anything you need for one-offs. Then supplement with any army specific colors you might want to use regularly.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I swear by Vallejo Beige Red as foundation for caucasian or most east asian skin tones. Wash with GW’s flesh wash or similar. Then I mix beige red with a lighter skin tone.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Finished up these purply boys :toot:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Revelation 2-13 posted:

That looks super cool. Hazards and checkers looks great! What model is that? What a chunky boy.

OG space hulk terminator! First GW models I ever came across and I’ve always wanted an army full of them. Couple of eBay rescues later and I have twenty of the buggers. Quite a few are in such a state that they’re going to have sculpting work done to give them double lightning claws. Another project that started simply and turned into a massive hassle!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Finished up these purply boys :toot:

Those look nice. That isn't Contrast Pink, right?

I miss my Stormcast, they were so fun to paint.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

If you're just getting started I'd reccomend one of the Vallejo starter sets. Something like this one:

It's got your core primary colors, some browns, greys, black and white. You can mix these colors to get just about anything you need for one-offs. Then supplement with any army specific colors you might want to use regularly.

Seconding these, I quite like mine

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Sab669 posted:

Those look nice. That isn't Contrast Pink, right?

I miss my Stormcast, they were so fun to paint.

Nope, Screamer Pink - one of my favorite GW colors.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Looks quite close to their Volupus Pink but the coats looked too even to be Contrast :v:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Nope, Screamer Pink - one of my favorite GW colors.

:respek:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

Thirding this set or the Model Colour equivalent set of 16 (I went with the Model Colour and while I liked the colours very much, the metalics are meh).

Also, as a starting painter, I absolutely love Vallejo paints. Their consistency is easy to work with, the dropper bottles are great, and they're very flexible in thinning. I had Citadel paints that I don't even really use anymore since getting the Vallejo set (with the exception of their metal paints)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Game Colour and Model Colour sets are both good starter sets. Game Colour has more saturated colours, model colour are more pastel and desaturated, depending on what you're interested in.

Also the greens in the Game Colours aren't amazing, to me.

Vallejo really is the gold standard for cost, paint quality, and bottle design. There are other brands that do some things better, and certain paints that are probably better than the Vallejo equivalent, but generally you can't go wrong.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoPjDBF-afI&t=738s

Vince just released a relevant video about getting started in painting.
Surprise! he's basically saying the same things we've been saying...buy a Vallejo core set, don't spend money on expensive stuff to get started, get a good light etc.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dreylad posted:

Game Colour and Model Colour sets are both good starter sets. Game Colour has more saturated colours, model colour are more pastel and desaturated, depending on what you're interested in.

Also the greens in the Game Colours aren't amazing, to me.

Vallejo really is the gold standard for cost, paint quality, and bottle design. There are other brands that do some things better, and certain paints that are probably better than the Vallejo equivalent, but generally you can't go wrong.

Scurvy Green and Livery Green are really good, those are the only two worth mentioning. Livery green is bright as poo poo so it works for highlights but god help you if you want to paint that on a whole surface.
The other ones are just OK. I tried a bunch of green colors from various brands for my orks and all of the medium greens have poor coverage. I also tried to add some liquitex green ink to green paint, but the ink pigment separated out and I thought it would be a good idea to add a hematite bead to help mix it. Uhh that was a bad idea as it cracked the glass bottle and started leaking. Luckily I caught it quickly before it made a huge mess.

There's a couple model color paints that are pretty bright but they're not like the super obnoxious, saturated colors that you can get from the game color line. Ice Yellow and Sky Blue are pretty good off whites for highlights.

But yeah, Vallejo is amazing. I'm such a fanboy for everything they make.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm pretty pleased with how my hobby area is currently shaping up.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

god I wish that were me

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Same. Before I got out I had a 6' desk dedicated to hobby space, with two full cabinets, multiple lamps, paint racks, a "holding area" for projects, the works. It was great.

Now that I've moved and am trying and failing to get back in, I'm making do with a ~3.5 - 4 foot folding table trying to cram all of that onto it. Not super successful.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Wrr posted:

god I wish that were me

:same:
Mine's all in boxes now because my room had to be renovated due to water damage from the adjacent kitchen. And I don't have space for any hobby stuff where I'm at now. :cry:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I have two of these tables. One is for the computer and active work space, the second was a general hobby/junk table that I dedicated to this stuff. They're just IKEA solid wood table tops with some of their cheap legs screwed into the bottom. Super affordable compared to most desks and they're incredibly practical. Love 'em. Lamps are also both cheap ones from IKEA.

The paint racks and brush holder in the background are laser cut wood from someone on Etsy.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think I want to get some sort of unit of multiple small drawers to set atop my hobby desk. Anyone have something like this to recommend?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I really want to rearrange my room so that my painting desk is against a wall and change out all my paint racks into wall mounted ones. My current desk is too narrow so I need a new one anyways, but it's especially exacerbated by all the poo poo I need easy access to while painting.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

WIP on this Necromunda death maiden

and this phelynx

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 5, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Verisimilidude posted:

and this phelynx

that is a good dog

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Code 30 dispatch (xpost)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo the one marine getting punked. :discourse:

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

lenoon posted:

I love scratches on the gun and shoulder pads! The rest is really cool too, of course, but those reminded me to tidy up the chipping on my current project.

I'm working on some marine bikes. They're far along enough for some wip pictures.

I started on these about 15 years ago (just basecoated blue for UM), came across them recently while trying to organize all my unpainted stuff. I just spent 90 mins painting Novamarines symbols, counting time spent waiting for my hands to stop shaking. I'm happy how they turned out, except for the sergeants bottom spike. I'll fix that tomorrow. Pretty happy I don't have to paint any more of them though, ever. It would have been so much easier if I hadn't glued the shoulder pads on. :)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Finished the Phelynx and Deathmaiden from the Necromunda Wyld Runners boxed set.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Hey all, long time - no post.

I had a lawn gnome I bought as a joke gift to myself earlier this summer so of course it fell over at some point and shattered. I had been itching to finally paint something again so I thought hey, why not some terrain.

My question is, should I have the ground/rubble be gray or brown? I think most of the gnome himself will be weathered pastel-like colors so either could work?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

Finished the Phelynx and Deathmaiden from the Necromunda Wyld Runners boxed set.

Love the veil effect on the Deathmaiden. I'm gearing up to tackle a similar effect on an elf model once I finish these dang horses, still trying to decide how i'm going to tackle it (probably base coats and contrast glazes I think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Are modeling questions permitted as well as painting ones? Don't see a better thread.

Verisimilidude posted:

I have no idea how you turn out kickass models this quickly. Fantastic as usual.