Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Testro posted:

Ohhh. In which case, I will keep hoping for a new one - but in a different colour scheme instead!

Oh well, saves me some money. I shall hope for a Big Boy or Allegheny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Digital War posted:

That Emerald Night picture is just a MoC, it's from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6cJ2WsUX1w&t=311s
Thanks much. Edited my post to make it clear that's a fake, then.

Design stream tonight! Continuing work on the Kingdom Hearts clock tower. May even finish the thing! 7PM CST / 30 minutes away.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
https://twitter.com/Penkid11/status/1444005124842655754

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

the real lego drought has been ongoing for years since they stopped doing castle as a theme :colbert:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Oh drat, I thought something was weird when the big Tumbler had a pre-order. It's sold out now online. I wonder how many the stores will get, and what their stock in general will look like going ahead.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I got my Fender Stratocaster today, which means I was able to fix it by turning it into the correct guitar

lovely quality bonus pic:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you have a part list for what you needed to change it to the correct guitar?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Cojawfee posted:

Do you have a part list for what you needed to change it to the correct guitar?
Yeah I do, it's on the Rebrickable page for this guy. I can post it as a Bricklink-wishlist-able file when I get around to it tomorrow, too.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah I do, it's on the Rebrickable page for this guy. I can post it as a Bricklink-wishlist-able file when I get around to it tomorrow, too.
quoting myself to post the XML file. Just upload directly to Bricklink to populate a wishlist.

Most of those are common bricks, plates, slopes, tiles, etc but I'll highlight a couple:

- the 1 x 1 brick with studs on all sides in tan is very uncommon, but you don't urgently need it. You can use the light bluish gray one that comes with the set if you don't mind a small bit of gray showing on the side of the headstock.
- The 1 x 1 - 1 x 2 inverted bracket in red is extremely uncommon, only coming in this set and one 2021 Speed Champions set so far. The dark bluish gray one can be any color.
- The box wrench can be either mold variation, doesn't matter.
- The dark orange 1 x 3 tile is extremely uncommon. It represents the brass saddles and can be any number of other colors if you prefer, such as yellow or dark tan (or gray if you favor steel saddles).

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
My daughter is enamored with the 3 in 1 Ferris Wheel every time we go to the store. Today I decided to get it for her for Christmas and am very excited to build it with her.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

good on you. the kid recently put together the big trolls set, my participation consisted of finding a few pieces, snapping together a few things, correcting one inverted part placement and putting the stickers on. it's never been so nice to be needed so little

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Rad Valtar posted:

My daughter is enamored with the 3 in 1 Ferris Wheel every time we go to the store. Today I decided to get it for her for Christmas and am very excited to build it with her.
Hell, I am enamored with the 3 in 1 Ferris Wheel every time I go to the store.

I recently built some of the smaller 3 in 1 sets with my 4.5 year old and I think the Ferris Wheel is going to be a bit too mechanically challenging, but I'll probably still get one for the future.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I only recently got into Lego and am trying to understand the release cycle. The implication of scarcity is very effective on me, at this point I'm likely to try to snag some sets sooner out of fear that they'll be 2x or 3x once they get retired.

For people who have been in the game longer: with a set like the Daily Bugle which came out in June, are they likely to keep making it for the next year or two, or should I try to get it sooner rather than later?

Is the logic the same for different kinds of sets? Licensed ones, expensive ones, gimmicky ones, whatever?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sivart13 posted:

I only recently got into Lego and am trying to understand the release cycle. The implication of scarcity is very effective on me, at this point I'm likely to try to snag some sets sooner out of fear that they'll be 2x or 3x once they get retired.

For people who have been in the game longer: with a set like the Daily Bugle which came out in June, are they likely to keep making it for the next year or two, or should I try to get it sooner rather than later?

Is the logic the same for different kinds of sets? Licensed ones, expensive ones, gimmicky ones, whatever?

How long sets are in production varies but it’s always at least a year, usually 2+. The Bugle will definitely not retire anytime soon.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sivart13 posted:

Always get something you want sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is, it is rare, but sets have gone out of print VERY fast before. Last year, the hidden side castle, was only available for a couple months. And in limited quantity. It was gone before a lot of people knew it was even around.

They usually last at least a year. But sometimes they are in and out of stock constantly. Don't wait.

E: presistent themes like City, Friends or Ninjago aren't around very long. They put out new lines every few months and sets rarely last more than a year as they are quickly replaced by newer ones.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 2, 2021

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Sivart13 posted:

Hell, I am enamored with the 3 in 1 Ferris Wheel every time I go to the store.

I recently built some of the smaller 3 in 1 sets with my 4.5 year old and I think the Ferris Wheel is going to be a bit too mechanically challenging, but I'll probably still get one for the future.

My daughter is almost six and has some issues still with the tiny pieces but I started her on medium sized sets around that age. The hardest part is when you want to step in and help and they tell you back off old man. I also got her the 3 in 1 set with a semi truck that transports two race cars that I can't remember the name of. I love having another reason to buy Legos.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Picked up the Corner Garage as a birthday treat for myself yesterday, and I saw the new Pick-up Truck all built in store. It’s really big! Same scale as the new VW camper it was stood next to. I really like it though, and it’s definitely going to be a certainty in the future for me.

Next stop is Barracuda Bay before it vanishes forever at the end of the year.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Just put together the ISS while listening to the Interstellar soundtrack either side of seeing Dune slightly drunk and high. Good time A+ can recommend.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

RatHat posted:

The Bugle will definitely not retire anytime soon.
well it's a moot point now because as soon as I told my wife my intention to get a $300 lego set she went out to the mall and got it

So I maybe missed the opportunity to get double VIP points for it, but on the other hand now I have a great big Spider-Man thing in my house

It's got so many little lego people in it, look at all these lego people!!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Picked up the Corner Garage as a birthday treat for myself yesterday, and I saw the new Pick-up Truck all built in store. It’s really big! Same scale as the new VW camper it was stood next to. I really like it though, and it’s definitely going to be a certainty in the future for me.

Yeah before we went all-in on modulars I was trying to convince myself we didn't need the corner garage because it's just a bunch of red brick and a gas station. But like every other modular we caved and drat is it satisfying lifting and lowering that garage door.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Sivart13 posted:

well it's a moot point now because as soon as I told my wife my intention to get a $300 lego set she went out to the mall and got it

So I maybe missed the opportunity to get double VIP points for it, but on the other hand now I have a great big Spider-Man thing in my house

It's got so many little lego people in it, look at all these lego people!!

I'm building this right now and it's great but i think this might be the first time I've thought "this Lego set is too big".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

davebo posted:

Yeah before we went all-in on modulars I was trying to convince myself we didn't need the corner garage because it's just a bunch of red brick and a gas station. But like every other modular we caved and drat is it satisfying lifting and lowering that garage door.

Corner Garage is one of the better modulars for kids (or at least my kid) because it's got more moving parts, more animals, and a vehicle.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
My son's 10th bday was the other day and I got him the Land Rover Defender and he is probably halfway through construction and loving it. Says it's better than the Lamborghini Sian he built last year. The gearbox is impressive. I finally managed to start on my very belated bday present to myself: the 3-in-1 Castle. I got two, because they're $75 at Costco and I want to build one, but not both, of the alt builds. Very excited.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.
Zavvi has the Ecto 1 for $169.99 / 15% off with code GHOST.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I picked up the ? Block and it owns, but the LEGO store also gave me this as a bonus:

Do any goons want it for free? I'll have it mailed out tomorrow or the day after. Really don't care to keep it.

Also, my LEGO Mario and Luigi figs don't work with the ? Block... when I try to activate them in Peach's Castle they just show the Bluetooth logo and I assume it means they need a firmware update via the phone app but upon connecting either figure there's no update for them. :smith:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Maybe it's... bricked?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

sigher posted:

So I picked up the ? Block and it owns, but the LEGO store also gave me this as a bonus:

Do any goons want it for free? I'll have it mailed out tomorrow or the day after. Really don't care to keep it.

Also, my LEGO Mario and Luigi figs don't work with the ? Block... when I try to activate them in Peach's Castle they just show the Bluetooth logo and I assume it means they need a firmware update via the phone app but upon connecting either figure there's no update for them. :smith:

I would like this if it's still available.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

sigher posted:

So I picked up the ? Block and it owns

I also bought it and I'm waiting for it to get here. First Nintendo set I was instantly smitten with.

In the meantime, still need to finish the UCS Millennium Falcon build

Finally started it this year after buying the set three years ago as a "congrats for finishing a marathon and training for it" reward. Biggest reason I waited so long was I wanted to wait till we bought our house and till I had something to house it properly.

My wife helped out in that department by gifting me this on our anniversary,

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Girlfriend's birthday is coming up soon, and she mentioned some new Lego flower set the other day, saying how cool it looked. She specifically mentioned it was a Venus fly trap. I'm not seeing anything like that, but I guess the Bird of Paradise set could look like a Venus if you just saw a thumbnail image somewhere. She's not a Lego fan, so I'm sure she just got a quick glance somewhere. Can anyone think of recent set she might be thinking of otherwise?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
No it'll be the Bird of Paradise, the only Lego sets in the botanical collection are that, a bonsai tree, and a flower bouquet.

Edit: here's where I learn that Lego made a mini venus fly trap in City set 60160, although there's zero chance that's what she saw.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Found an album of Brick Con 2021 in Seattle

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Neat builds, thanks for sharing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Slugworth posted:

Girlfriend's birthday is coming up soon, and she mentioned some new Lego flower set the other day, saying how cool it looked. She specifically mentioned it was a Venus fly trap. I'm not seeing anything like that, but I guess the Bird of Paradise set could look like a Venus if you just saw a thumbnail image somewhere. She's not a Lego fan, so I'm sure she just got a quick glance somewhere. Can anyone think of recent set she might be thinking of otherwise?

My brother just got that and it looks really nice on his desk in his office.

I just ordered the bonsai tree with an additional $20 in parts to cover other seasons, so here goes nothing!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cloks posted:

I would like this if it's still available.

PM me the address and it's yours, I got so busy with poo poo I forgot I posted the offer in the thread.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

:hellyeah:

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Micro builds keep popping up on my Instagram feed so I thought I'd give it a go. Trying to get some creativity flowing.

Just a fort in the woods
http://imgur.com/gallery/tByxcR9

River along the sand/desert. Still working on this
http://imgur.com/gallery/UnWVlOp

Roman aqueduct. I think this looks pretty good to be honest.
http://imgur.com/gallery/ho1oM6J

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

My brother just got that and it looks really nice on his desk in his office.

I just ordered the bonsai tree with an additional $20 in parts to cover other seasons, so here goes nothing!

Do you have a link to the info on the other two seasons? I got the bonsai tree for my birthday and think that would look cool.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Maigius posted:

Do you have a link to the info on the other two seasons? I got the bonsai tree for my birthday and think that would look cool.

There aren't an official set of other seasons, I just used the pick a brick and replacement part section to get yellow/brown tree branches in both sizes, some lighter green ones for a "spring flush", and a bunch of red/orange/yellow leaf/flower pieces to break up the color.

Something akin to this for autumn, and winter will have more bare brown branches with some smaller green pieces as leaf buds. Also thinking about using some transparent pieces to simulate rain drops on the leaves, we'll see how that turns out. I'm heavily basing all this on the various japanese maples I grow in my yard.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Charming! I wonder how many of the pieces I would need are already in my Tree House alternate leaves bag...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Turtles
Jul 2, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

There aren't an official set of other seasons, I just used the pick a brick and replacement part section to get yellow/brown tree branches in both sizes, some lighter green ones for a "spring flush", and a bunch of red/orange/yellow leaf/flower pieces to break up the color.

Something akin to this for autumn, and winter will have more bare brown branches with some smaller green pieces as leaf buds. Also thinking about using some transparent pieces to simulate rain drops on the leaves, we'll see how that turns out. I'm heavily basing all this on the various japanese maples I grow in my yard.

I've got parts showing up Friday to do something extremely similar to your build. Looks great so I'm excited to test out my design.