Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Mostly it's just annoying that all they achieved was pulling stunts and getting their own protesters arrested. It seems less like a political organization and more like a viral marketing agency that uses human lives as fuel.

I think that it is perhaps worth pointing out that the current stated Tory environmental policy is to ban petrol cars and completely decarbonise the grid within a little over a decade. I don’t think that is a policy that the Tory party would adopt of their own free will, so presumably _something_ is making them do so. it is not particularly obvious that XR is not that thing.

Obviously what they absolutely are not is a spontaneous grass roots organization representing the immediate self interest of their members. They are a top-down creation of someone who came up with a plan and got others to go along with it. Which is inherently indistinguishable from ‘an op’. The interesting fact is not who the guy is, but what their argument is, and why people agree with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
. nm

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 5, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

radmonger posted:

I think that it is perhaps worth pointing out that the current stated Tory environmental policy is to ban petrol cars and completely decarbonise the grid within a little over a decade. I don’t think that is a policy that the Tory party would adopt of their own free will, so presumably _something_ is making them do so. it is not particularly obvious that XR is not that thing.

I would suggest that this is just the tide of where the money is going worldwide, it would require more effort to stop than to just let it happen. Plus I don't think that people have particularly strong feelings one way or another about green energy in the UK, there are weirdos that hate wind farms sure but they hate looking at them more than the concept. Feelgood happy clappy eco friendliness is so mainstream nowadays that it is used to sell literally everything. Which is why XR annoys me, because all they do is big stunt protests that get people arrested but I don't think they are doing anything to accelerate actual change. It's just happy clappy poo poo that also puts people in prison.

Besides, trotting out bollocks about how everything will be great and completely failing to deliver is an extremely tory policy.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 5, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s the same posters though, so unless there’s soul transference at work there’s something more to it.

It is normal and in fact common to use humour in bad or even intolerable situations? Like, depressed people are often very funny. Look at all good comedians, for example.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

IB and XR are so ops. Like i'm 99% sure which means nothing but you know. The only thing i'm not sure about is whether the people involved are in on it or if they're being manipulated, like all the stochastic terrorists that the FBI created so it could then arrest them.

About a month or so ago Cressidia Dick said something like 'the leaders of XR need to get their members under control' which, to me at least, seemed like a very telling statement

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I would suggest that this is just the tide of where the money is going worldwide, it would require more effort to stop than to just let it happen. Plus I don't think that people have particularly strong feelings one way or another about green energy in the UK, there are weirdos that hate wind farms sure but they hate looking at them more than the concept. Feelgood happy clappy eco friendliness is so mainstream nowadays that it is used to sell literally everything. Which is why XR annoys me, because all they do is big stunt protests that get people arrested but I don't think they are doing anything to accelerate actual change. It's just happy clappy poo poo that also puts people in prison.

Besides, trotting out bollocks about how everything will be great and completely failing to deliver is an extremely tory policy.

Frankly - they are out there, doing something. Can you quibble about effectiveness? yes. Is it likely undercover police and domestic security is keeping a big eye on them? also yes. But they are trying something. And the UK is unusual in the commitment of the Tory party to a green agenda - as half-hearted as it is, it is far further than much of the US has gone, both centrist Democrat and Republican. It's more than Australia's conservatives commit to, or other anglosphere conservatives parties have done. If it's following the money, than the money in the UK has decided that moving in the green direction faster than the rest of the world. We talk plenty about the Overton Window here - and it's shifted pretty far to the left on enviromental policy over the past 10 years, whether XR was part of that shift or a symptom of it will never be fully answered.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably suggest that the virtual nonexistence of UK heavy industry is probably a greater motivating factor. Australia is a massive exporter of coal, so obviously they are not going to like green policy because so much of their economy is tied up in opposing it. The US is similar, also their right wing have consciously cultivated opposition to green policy as a cultural signifier, along with guns and jesus and all the other dreadful poo poo they churn out.

I don't think the right in the UK has ever really been pro-industry because historically a lot of the industrial base of the country has been tied up with the left. The right in the UK trends between maximum neolib and the whole one nation tory crap, both of which are entirely compatible with a consumer focused green agenda. Public transport bad but electric cars good, coal mining bad but wind farms we can hand out contracts for to our mates, good.

I don't think they are particularly ecologically minded, they just see it as a valid marketing strategy, which it has been across a lot of the world for some time. And the UK doesn't have a particularly strong anti-green constituency because the right has never really bothered to cultivate it and it also wiped out most of the economic basis for one decades ago.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 5, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Margaret Thatcher was ahead of her time on green issues" is a thing that has been said unironically by Tories in the past few years. Uncarbonically and unbrickally too.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

radmonger posted:

I don't understand any loving thing about this sorry

Currently the Tories say that yeah we have an environmental policy sure why not, and it's basically, get rid of all the bad things you know, bring on the good things, timeline is like I dunno decade? Ish? Ok that's sorted then, now let's hit the fox hunting club.

Where exactly is any of the required action to even try to accomplish any of this? (Or, hell, anything at all, since this is after all the Tories?)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

"Margaret Thatcher was ahead of her time on green issues" is a thing that has been said unironically by Tories in the past few years. Uncarbonically and unbrickally too.

Yeah, and while I don't at all buy the idea that they're trying to sell that that was her motivation, I find it hard to argue against the idea that a significant effect of what she did was to strongly undermine any economic basis for anti-green policy in the UK.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

A real difference between XR and IB is the scale of the demand - XR wanted a climate emergency declared, a national plan to solve the emergency and a citizens assembly (selected by sortition lol) to oversee the plan. It was a utopian list where an emergency was declared and then nothing happened, backed by an awful theory of power and a crap strategy. IB however have a much more direct demand which is also the whole program - get every home insulated. If the XR/IB strategy has any legs at all then IB will succeed because the direct action is sufficient to force the required change, otherwise IB and XR will fail in their mission.

They'll then split off into either ecoterrorism or apathy, which will be good.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

“Hitler and Stalin were ahead of the game on the overpopulation crisis”

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Frankly - (XR and IB) are out there, doing something. Can you quibble about effectiveness? yes. Is it likely undercover police and domestic security is keeping a big eye on them? also yes. But they are trying something.

The issue I have with them is that there are environmental activists who would be protesting and taking action whether Extinction Rebellion existed or not who are being encouraged by Extinction Rebellion's leadership to graffiti something and then turn themselves into the police to be arrested.

XR looks like an organisation made to take good people who want to make a difference in the world, and control them. There's no way it hasn't been infiltrated. And on the extreme off-chance that it hasn't, its tactics still suck. The police are not your friend and being arrested is not desirable.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I just bought some haribo snakes and the fuckers are like half the width what the gently caress is this

I demand a government inquiry

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

I just bought some haribo snakes and the fuckers are like half the width what the gently caress is this

I demand a government inquiry

EU regulations stipulate a minimum snake girth, sorry that's all hosed now

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
im goign to make my own haribo snakes, massive ones

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

im goign to make my own haribo snakes, massive ones

Why does this sound like a euphemism for having a poo poo?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

a subconscious memory of my posting in general

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

I don't buy into the idea that XR is totally an op, though they are definitely infested with cops at this point. I would not be surprised if IB was the brainchild of state assets since blocking roads seems very dumb and is in fact a tactic XR moved away from due to it being not very effective.

I think some people on the left get mad at XR in part because they've managed to radicalise to some degree a bunch of people who the left have failed to win over

We get mad at xr for squandering literally millions of pounds on ineffective bullshit while we try and do good stuff with tens of pounds.

E: Owl is, as usual, entirely on the money here. Big daft self-fellating bullshit

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 5, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

can't even have a good night out with tens of pounds

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Tbf my coke budget was considerably higher than my activism budget when I was in London

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
FFS

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/sajid-javid-health-nhs-family-b1932886.html

quote:

Sajid Javid says health and social care ‘begins at home’ and people should turn to family before NHS
‘Government shouldn’t own all risks and responsibilities in life,’ says health secretary

Sajid Javid has said health and social care “begins at home” and people should rely on their families in the first instance rather than on the state.

The health secretary’s comments came during his speech at the Conservative Party conference in Manchester on Tuesday.

Mr Javid said: “The state was needed in this pandemic more than any time in peacetime. But government shouldn’t own all risks and responsibilities in life. We as citizens have to take some responsibility for our health too.

“We shouldn’t always go first to the state. What kind of society would that be?

“Health – and social care – begins at home. Family first, then community, then the state.

“If you do need support, we live in a compassionate, developed country that can afford to help with that. There are few higher callings than to care for another person.”

The remarks come after the government announced the introduction of a new health and social care tax in September, which will begin as a 1.25 per cent rise in national insurance from April next year.

The controversial plans were met with much criticism from leaders in social care, warning the promised extra £12bn a year would not be enough to address the current crisis.

During his speech, Mr Javid recalled his work volunteering in a care home.

He also warned that NHS waiting list times are set to “get worse before they get better”, promising “the biggest catch-up fund in the history of the NHS”, with a focus on prioritised elective recovery, check-ups, scans and surgeries.

The minister reiterated that when he began his role in June he was told the NHS waiting list could reach 13 million.

Mr Javid said: “My priorities are simple: Covid, recovery, reform. Covid: getting us, and keeping us, out of the pandemic. Recovery: tackling the huge backlog of appointments it has caused. And reform of our health and social care systems for the long term.

“No reform is easy, otherwise it would’ve been done already. But if we get it right, no, when we get it right, we won’t build back the way things were.

“We’ll build a future where our health and social care systems are integrated more seamlessly together, where British life sciences lead the world on new treatments, where we have not only the best surgeons, but robots performing life-saving surgeries.”

Deepening health disparities were also touched upon by the health secretary, who said the gap in healthy life expectancy between Blackpool and Richmond-upon-Thames is almost 20 years. “It’s time to level up on health,” he said.

Mr Sunak dismissed VAT for being too regressive, citing instead the “historic link” between National Insurance and healthcare, the former set up originally to pay for the NHS.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

just going to let my dad do my mums cholecystectomy on the kitchen table while i try to x-ray my foot with the fire alarm radioactive bits

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Ahahahha they're going to do it, they're going to hit Starmer from the left on increasing the national living wage (just a recommendation not bound by law)

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1445502088461488147

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Doccykins posted:

Ahahahha they're going to do it, they're going to hit Starmer from the left on increasing the national living wage (just a recommendation not bound by law)

The real government in waiting.

Which is also the current government.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

“If you do need support, we live in a compassionate, developed country that can afford to help with that. There are few higher callings than to care for another person.”

"We won't pay for it, but we could."

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

People shouldn’t be too hard on XR. They were basically naive, otherwise largely un-ideological, and were unaware of how protesting really works.

But they’re learning:

https://twitter.com/xrebellionuk/status/1444205382981804032

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'd be mad, but while Labour burns and crashes, to throughly crush it the tories might accidentally do some good flanking from the left.

Yeah it'll be a pale imitation of an actual left wing gov but honestly I'm half a mind that it'll be better than the shite new Labour 2.0 "free wet eggs and a signed postcard of Mandleson printed on the back of an ASBO" would do.

gently caress, is this how people end up voting for the tories? Just complete lifelong disillusionment due to "the bins"

Is Keith our Bins? gently caress. He is isn't he.

I'm going to just draw a cock on my ballot.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

I'm going to just draw a cock on my ballot.

Stop voting for the Tories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given the main thing that I got from new labour was student debt and the tories keep giving me wage increases, the choice is becoming increasingly one sided.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

People shouldn’t be too hard on XR. They were basically naive, otherwise largely un-ideological, and were unaware of how protesting really works.

But they’re learning:

https://twitter.com/xrebellionuk/status/1444205382981804032

it would be a lot easier to support these kind of things if they didn't talk poo poo.

"Farnborough caters to the 1%. Private flyers cause half of aviation’s global emissions."

The claim is actually that 1% of the world's population account for half of aviation's global emissions. Not private flyers using places like loving Farnborough airport.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Stop voting for the Tories.

I think these days it might just give all three major parties one vote.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mebh posted:

I think these days it might just give all three major parties one vote.

There's 3 major parties now?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

You've never heard of the SNP?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

not really interested in some amateurish off shoot tartan plaid cymru

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

The conservatives, uuuuuh... Boris' dad... And everyone else?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Full-time carer for my mother and the Carer's Allowance they pay me is £3.5k a year.

So, in short, gently caress off Sajid, and keep loving off until you cannot gently caress off anymore.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is a nice bit of schad that some of you might have missed

https://twitter.com/PaisleySteelman/status/1445356953035853827

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its a shame cos she was so good in look whose talking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

it would be a lot easier to support these kind of things if they didn't talk poo poo.

"Farnborough caters to the 1%. Private flyers cause half of aviation’s global emissions."

The claim is actually that 1% of the world's population account for half of aviation's global emissions. Not private flyers using places like loving Farnborough airport.

What?

The 1% refers to the super rich. The people who have private jets. That make up half of aviation emissions.