Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
In the middle of the season, the main guy is waxing on about the fairness and purity of the game (among other things, the busted organ harvesters), yet those gang types being a pain in the rear end, but not being dealt with to "uphold fairness" and letting everything come to head in that one night sure doesn't sit well with me. Probably a/the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

At some point the locks handcuffing the old man to the tug of war rope disappear. He was going to abandon ship if his team actually lost

That's interesting, but I'm not sure his arm isn't just covering it in that shot. He obviously cheated by knowing the game and having a strategy, so it's not a fair game either way, I'm just not sure about the he was never at risk aspect.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
In the final episode, I totally expected that 456 would run out and help the freezing man himself, which would have been a nice "gently caress you" to the old man and his horrible bet. Sad that it didn't happen.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ymgve posted:

In the final episode, I totally expected that 456 would run out and help the freezing man himself, which would have been a nice "gently caress you" to the old man and his horrible bet. Sad that it didn't happen.

I was so pissed that that's not what happened.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
No squids. Disappointed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They're saving the squids for season 2, what a rip-off.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Here's a 101 reasons why this popular show is really bad.....

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mirello posted:

lemme go against the grain and say I thought the show was dogshit. good couple of first eps, but the plot is poo poo and the games are unfair + luck so not really fun either. the ending is one of the worst I've seen as well. My wife and I predicted literally every twist. the sin of the games basically just being luck kills the entire shows concept for me. they were always extremely unclear about the rules, what was allowed/not allowed. pretty shocked how popular this is but I'm sure it'll fade away soon.

lmao it's not a real gameshow you know

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
This show so horrible for some many reasons:
  • Why are the games so unfair? These rich assholes are giving these desperate people no chance succeed.

• Why is Ali seems like he's obsessed with pleasing everyone and integrating into Korean society? He's too naive.

• I don't understand the significance of the old man joining the games for the thrill if he was never in any real danger. I mean these games aren't fun for the contestants, participating in them is a nightmare. Yet the old man thinks the games are fun and that he's winning due to his own merit despite organizing and cheating in them.

• Why did Gi-hun become a little bitch and become so depressed for a year after the game? He won. What was there to be depressed about?

• Why did these people even participate in these games if they knew they had such a high likelihood of dying? It makes zero sense and the show gives no explanation for this.

Seriously, I just don't get this show at all.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 5, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Khanstant posted:

lmao it's not a real gameshow you know

It's a only real realistic "gameshow" if the host ends up banging the contestants on the side.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

• Why are the games so unfair? These rich assholes are giving these desperate people no chance succeed.

• Why is Ali seems like he's obsessed with pleasing everyone and integrating into Korean society? He's too naive.

• I don't understand the significance of the old man joining the games for the thrill if he was never in any real danger. I mean these games aren't fun for the contestants, participating in them is a nightmare. Yet the old man thinks the games are fun and that he's winning due to his own merit despite organizing and cheating in them.

• Why did Gi-hun become a little bitch and become so depressed for a year after the game? He won. What was there to be depressed about?

• Why did these people even participate in these games if they knew they had such a high likelihood of dying? It makes zero sense and the show gives no explanation for this.

:lol: nice

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

At some point the locks handcuffing the old man to the tug of war rope disappear. He was going to abandon ship if his team actually lost

His shackles would be out of frame in the 2nd screenshot.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

This guys gets it!

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

:discourse:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Honestly, i think the show is like a 7/10 as is. If they cleaned up some of those sideplots that we've already critiqued, it'd probably be a solid 9/10 for me, 9.5 with a better ending.

As for its popularity, I think it's likely a lot of viewer's 1st Asian death game show/movie, plus with the class themes and COVID, the show has caught lightning in a bottle, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's barely remembered in 3 years. The kids game theme makes it a lot easier for a viewer to imagine how they'd play those same games and compete against 455 people.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Other than The Sopranos or The Office, who talks about pretty much any show three years later? I'm exaggerating a little, but I think the glut of new content makes it hard for most new stuff to stand out in the first place, let alone to make a big enough impact that people will be talking about it years later. Even if it just ends up being a flash in the pan, having a massive hit with international appeal isn't too shabby.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I can only enjoy media if it remains popular for three years,

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Other than The Sopranos or The Office, who talks about pretty much any show three years later? I'm exaggerating a little, but I think the glut of new content makes it hard for most new stuff to stand out in the first place, let alone to make a big enough impact that people will be talking about it years later. Even if it just ends up being a flash in the pan, having a massive hit with international appeal isn't too shabby.

It's probably a blessing is disguise since at least most shows can avoid references like "Must love the Office! / Must love Game Of Thrones!" showing up in dating apps.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

etalian posted:

It's probably a blessing is disguise since at least most shows can avoid references like "Must love the Office! / Must love Game Of Thrones!" showing up in dating apps.

At least Game of Thrones doesn't have to worry about that anymore. FWIW I think there's a really good chance this show gets run into the ground too, but the first season was mostly awesome imo.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

During the fifth game, I'm surprised they didn't try balancing/climbing on the red poles that the glass was on. I mean they didn't say you weren't allowed to do that.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sinteres posted:

King of the hill and the wire?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Sinteres posted:

That bugged me a lot too. I tried to justify it a little bit based on him just being so fundamentally opposed to killing someone he knew and liked that any offered solution that got him out of that, no matter how implausible, is just what he winded up grasping for, but I think he was really just presented as massively intellectually disabled, which was a bummer.

I read somewhere that the subtitles don't really catch a lot of flavor of the dialogue, and Ali goes so far to call Sang-woo "brother" in Korean, so I'm guessing that as a combo of Ali's personality, naivete, and the memories of the aid he received from Sang-woo in the past he didn't want to kill him if he didn't have to. Sang-woo was smarter, colder, and more devious; if he's known to the other players as a planner and a thinker, of course Ali's going to trust him when he says he has something up his sleeve. He just doesn't figure his "brother" is going to kill him as a part of his scheme.

also he's a textbook metaphor for the exploited immigrant class in SK as others have said, etc etc

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Other than The Sopranos or The Office, who talks about pretty much any show three years later?

Dexter

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The fact is that Squid Game is not just arguably the first successful foreign language and non-Western show to become popular, but that it is one of the most popular foreign language/non-Western shows to become one of the biggest TV shows of the year.

It's reaching Stranger Things levels of popularity.

It is also likely a watershed moment of foreign media's popularity for American audiences. It's the first series to be more or less as big in the United States as it is in its home country, in a genre that has tried such a thing over and over again. People will always point to it in the future of "what's was the first major foreign show to truly be mainstream to American audiences and opened the flood gates".

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Queering Wheel posted:

During the fifth game, I'm surprised they didn't try balancing/climbing on the red poles that the glass was on. I mean they didn't say you weren't allowed to do that.

In the manga/anime Kaiji (a direct inspiration) the beams were the only thing they walked on, making it much scarier

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

ElectricSheep posted:

I read somewhere that the subtitles don't really catch a lot of flavor of the dialogue

That's the English closed captions apparently, which Netflix defaults to. The normal subtitles are fine.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah watching the Kaiji version of the bridge game took some of the oomph out of this one for me. Ah well.

Oh yeah I'm not harping too much on the show's lasting appeal, I've read quite a few reactions on the internet along the lines of "why is this so popular?" Ultimately it doesn't matter very much, it's a good show.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I was looking up the Kaiji version to show my boss cause he's into death games now and found this trailer for a Playstation VR experience lol

Spoilers for Kaiji
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jctWLThMFDo

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
No thanks. I'm afraid enough of heights that episode was legitimately a bit hard to watch lol

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Just finished this a day ago and think it's a solid series but the middle parts definitely bog it down. I hated the tropic characters like the badass street girl, the yakuza tough guy, the succubus. Like others pointed out the ending sucked and I felt the interior business machine of The Game was shown way too early. Like pretty much everything nowadays it could be cut down in half and be much stronger. This may be too CSPAMy but I feel like media in general that presents these type of issues in such a ridiculous setting that it loses its message on the people that need to hear it the most.

There was a lot of good though in this though. I thought the protagonist and his enemy where really fleshed out and provide interesting analysis of how the pressure of society on both ends pushes you into doing immoral acts. The cinematography, set design, and music/sound effects are all awesome. I guess I just felt like in the end this series was trying to what Snowpiercer did expect much longer? I don't know it was fun but not amazing god Parasite definitely was much deeper.

Rollos fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 6, 2021

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
God loving drat it Gi-Hun, go give your daughter her present and a hug and then come back to fight the squidmen

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

The fact is that Squid Game is not just arguably the first successful foreign language and non-Western show to become popular, but that it is one of the most popular foreign language/non-Western shows to become one of the biggest TV shows of the year.

It's reaching Stranger Things levels of popularity.

It is also likely a watershed moment of foreign media's popularity for American audiences. It's the first series to be more or less as big in the United States as it is in its home country, in a genre that has tried such a thing over and over again. People will always point to it in the future of "what's was the first major foreign show to truly be mainstream to American audiences and opened the flood gates".

I know you said non-western, and I never watched it, but money heist seemed to be one of the first big foreign hits on Netflix.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Based on that interview the creator did recently, I think it's pretty obvious where Season 2 goes. (And lets be honest, this show was enough of a hit that Netflix will renew)

Gi-hun is traumatized as poo poo and is goona invest that huge pile of cash into some guillotines I reckon, and I expect we'll see some sort of team-up with the cop surviving that comic book death. The creator mentioned wanting to basically explore how much the authorities (particularly SK police) just kinda drag their feet, and I imagine we'll get some vigilante stuff from that.

I'd just like to see a bunch of rich assholes get theirs basically.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole series was actually just a ad campaign for Korean fried chicken.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Hipster Occultist posted:

Based on that interview the creator did recently, I think it's pretty obvious where Season 2 goes. (And lets be honest, this show was enough of a hit that Netflix will renew)

Gi-hun is traumatized as poo poo and is goona invest that huge pile of cash into some guillotines I reckon, and I expect we'll see some sort of team-up with the cop surviving that comic book death. The creator mentioned wanting to basically explore how much the authorities (particularly SK police) just kinda drag their feet, and I imagine we'll get some vigilante stuff from that.

I'd just like to see a bunch of rich assholes get theirs basically.

Doesn’t really make sense though because Gi-Hun has what, $40M USD and the squid Corp has billions of dollars backing it up.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Doesn’t really make sense though because Gi-Hun has what, $40M USD and the squid Corp has billions of dollars backing it up.

How that does not make sense? I mean, the Rebellion wasn't richer than the Empire.

All I'm saying is that 40 million bucks is probably enough to fund a few skilled go-getters like the Cop, for example. The only way forward for this show is some sort of vengeance angle I think.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hipster Occultist posted:

How that does not make sense? I mean, the Rebellion wasn't richer than the Empire.

Funded by literal aristocrats and fielding prototype futuretech fighters. :colbert:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ghostinmyshell posted:

I was looking up the Kaiji version to show my boss cause he's into death games now and found this trailer for a Playstation VR experience lol

Spoilers for Kaiji
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jctWLThMFDo

I played this in a VR arcade in Tokyo and it's fun. It's interesting and knowing the show/manga is a plus as it follows the story.

And yeah you really do feel like you are a hundreds of feet in the air. Especially in the arcade where they blow fans on you.

Annabel Pee posted:

I know you said non-western, and I never watched it, but money heist seemed to be one of the first big foreign hits on Netflix.

Money Heist is absolutely a hit. But it isn't one of the biggest shows of the year big. To continue my terrible video game analogies, Money Heist is Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Squid Game is Monster Hunter World.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
It was kinda hosed up of Gi-Hun to wait an entire year to get that kid out of the orphanage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Best post in the thread so far