Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Old pointy flies proud over Deadlands, 82DK did good over there.

Last night a few of us did a casual tank operation with a light tank dewitt some random player just handed to me a few hours earlier and did good, we then switched to a mortar tank and did even better from what I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

God I love being a delivery truck driver.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sachant posted:

God I love being a delivery truck driver.

I'm planning on writing up a gdoc on containers, crates, storage depots, seaports, and flatbeds, in the hope that the process of writing it will finally make me understand it. I spent a miserable half-hour (at least) yesterday trying to load crates into a container and the container into a freighter.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We've got Silverhands being put together and light tanks/scout tanks in crates at Lockheed.

The GOON Defensive Tank Force Dragoon Mobile Bicycle Light Armoured Support Task Force is here.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The most important item in fulfilling Tank TOEs is the maintenance bicycle.

Leika
Jul 15, 2021

So this looks kind of fun. Is there a way to be casual about this game or is EO style involvement necessary to get anywhere?

Also, though I'm afraid I know the answer, this is not playable on any mobile device, right? PC only?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
it's absolutely possible to be casual and just follow the flock in whatever hotspot you enter, or just truck resources around and dump them in public depots for others to make use of, but you're unlikely to see any direct correlation between your actions and meaningful developments in the war like subregions being taken or successfully defended.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!
From my experience it's next to impossible to make a difference in a battle as a solo player, but you can make big contributions by driving trucks of supplies solo. Once you get 3-4 people together however you can start contributing in meaningful ways by working as a team, though this only really starts once tanks and artillery is unlocked. Last night we were 4 people manning a single artillery gun, two on the gun, one moving shells by truck and a spotter. We managed to halt a tank offensive on our line simply by harassing them with the artillery gun and we became the primary target of a group of partisans who eventually destroyed our gun.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Demiurge4 posted:

From my experience it's next to impossible to make a difference in a battle as a solo player, but you can make big contributions by driving trucks of supplies solo. Once you get 3-4 people together however you can start contributing in meaningful ways by working as a team, though this only really starts once tanks and artillery is unlocked. Last night we were 4 people manning a single artillery gun, two on the gun, one moving shells by truck and a spotter. We managed to halt a tank offensive on our line simply by harassing them with the artillery gun and we became the primary target of a group of partisans who eventually destroyed our gun.

just wait for solo moments to happen. Last night we took down a enemy BB with mortar tank and some 120mm arty.
I also stopped enemy partisan attempts by driving their supply truck into river which most likely allowed more logi to survive, for couple of hours at least.
Bmat deliveries to a artied bb can also save the day.

that being said this war in particular has been incredibly passive, most likely due to imbalances in building and buffed ISG range.
https://foxholestats.com/images/history/videos/WC83.mp4
however this is all coming to end with tanks being on field and SC being teched, Im guessing that collies will tech SC first.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We play this as a group that does many things, you will contribute even if you only spend an hour smacking scrap or trucking things to their warehouses.

You certainly can have solo moments or small victories now, things will happen.

I can't guarantee they will be good things though half the time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I haven't fired a shot in anger, and I've been playing a week. FWIW, if you're in the Discord chat with goons, you can be running supplies and still feel like (and be told that) you're making a significant difference to the operation, especially if you're running them to the front line. Basically, having a social network (TM) to play the game with makes all the difference. I've found goons infinitely tolerant of clumsiness and confusion with the game's interface.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Dark Off posted:

just wait for solo moments to happen. Last night we took down a enemy BB with mortar tank and some 120mm arty.
I also stopped enemy partisan attempts by driving their supply truck into river which most likely allowed more logi to survive, for couple of hours at least.
Bmat deliveries to a artied bb can also save the day.

Yeah this. There are plenty of solo moments. Delivery of critical supplies at a critical moment, or being one of a small crew repairing a BB that's being shelled, or even just being the one putting up frontline watchtowers and taking down those of the enemy.

But that also said, yeah, it's easy to play this game casually, especially if you play with goons. We have a pretty extensive logistical infrastructure going, which means all the tools, equipment and supplies are there for you to jump in for half an hour and do something useful.

Things you can do in about half an hour: mine some scrap, throw in some factory/MPF orders, fetch MPF orders to the seaport, ship materiel down to the frontline depots, run a "last mile" delivery to a frontline base.

(Maybe more like 40 minutes for the freighter run.)

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've found goons infinitely tolerant of clumsiness and confusion with the game's interface.

Lol yep. I don't think there's a single person who hasn't had moments of clumsiness and confusion with the game's interface. Things definitely go more smoothly as you learn, but facepalm moments are expected.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Demiurge4 posted:

From my experience it's next to impossible to make a difference in a battle as a solo player, but you can make big contributions by driving trucks of supplies solo.

I dunno, I held a flank solo last night that allowed tanks to move up and kill a BB and secure a front.

This game has a very "small actions lead to large effects" sometimes. You can pull off solo moments that do have larger knock-on effects.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
join colonials and you won't have to worry about losing 7k tmats bc of rogue wardens lads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNnHBhKXME

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I was just reading about that poo poo on reddit. How much of a big baby do you have to be? Apparently he didn't like what we were teching?

Let me guess, he wanted snipers

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That whole thing is weird, sniper rifles are hella situational and not very good/expensive to make?

Also, I introduce some logistics goons to frontline infantry combat, sapping, healing and tanking!

And since their mass produced tanks are on us, a reminder PSA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RARlssM_UXQ

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Wardens! Road gently caress squad is happening again, this saturday during late euro/early american TZ. Details in the discord!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I usually play solo, since there are few / no goons when I'm on, don't feel bad about playing solo. If you've got a mic setup you can always show up to a front and find some people to gently caress poo poo up with

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yes, friday and saturday we'll be 'relaxing' this week by using some of our tanks in reserve now and we'll be poking the front. If our sector is still lame, we might even travel to another front.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lol by Friday there will almost certainly be storm cannons on both sides, and all bets are off.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol by Friday there will almost certainly be storm cannons on both sides, and all bets are off.

Well there will be storm cannons on one side anyway. There will be smoking craters on the other and fall-back positions trying to build new ones to hold off the advances moving up across the entire front line as it all gets deleted.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hah, by friday.

I got news for you.

Explosions.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Bought game, spent 20 hours doing logistics and frankly keeping bases up and stockpiled is great fun and a very good way to learn the map for the region you're based in.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My first time actually playing tonight (2nd time ever logging in) and I spawned at Lockheed to find an [ANT] Tank company that instantly recruited me to be a gunner because they were short people.

Tanked twice and ran to the front with a pistol another 4. One time I picked up some anti-tank weapon and got one shot off before I got got.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Two Warden generals are strolling through The Blemish. One turns to the other and says, "so, who won the Storm Cannon race?"

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

100 hours in now, in 14 days. Game still rules.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Does anyone have an autopsy of what happened with the storm cannons stuff? An hour head start on that stuff and I was certain colonials would be obliterating our front lines but hoooo boy did it not turn out that way. We actually raided Saltcaps last night and destroyed one manually when I thought for sure it was going to be a poo poo-flinging artillery fight on steroids.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

bird food bathtub posted:

Does anyone have an autopsy of what happened with the storm cannons stuff? An hour head start on that stuff and I was certain colonials would be obliterating our front lines but hoooo boy did it not turn out that way. We actually raided Saltcaps last night and destroyed one manually when I thought for sure it was going to be a poo poo-flinging artillery fight on steroids.

From what I was able to gather: Collies teched 300mm first. It took them about an hour to fire their first SC, as they had to produce the ammo and truck it to the cannons. These first few shots were horribly ineffective, as they appear to have shot places that didn't have storm cannons. About 20 minutes after that, We tech'd 300mm. Around this time, their first effective SCs came online on the west side of the map, and we lost a few SCs. About 30 minutes later, collies east side cannons started firing, but by this point we had clans ready in their SC bunkers with thousands of bmats ready to start hammering. The SCs survived the salvos. About 10-20 minutes after that, the first SC ammo for the warden side got off the trucks and started to be loaded. This is where the timeline gets a little hazy, as lots of stuff happened in very rapid succession. Warden qrf and partisan forces started really killing collie spotters, and lots of SC trading happened. It appears over that hour or two, Wardens generally came out ahead in the SC trades, but both sides lost a lot of storm cannons. Warden's losses were mostly concentrated in the west, and Collies in the east.

Once US Primetime hit, the SCs were on recharge, and the fronts started pushing with tanks. Wardens broke through handily in the east where the collies lost their SCs. On the west, it appears that since we traded at a slight disadvantage, the fronts havent moved but at least the defenses held.

All in all, it was a big brawl, the doom and gloom was extremely unfounded, and the fight continues.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Rumor mill stuff that I've heard says Colonials are not as efficient or well versed at aiming SCs compared to some Warden groups who put up guns every war.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

MREBoy posted:

Rumor mill stuff that I've heard says Colonials are not as efficient or well versed at aiming SCs compared to some Warden groups who put up guns every war.

Yeah, from what I gathered, Wardens shots were either ranging or on a SC for the first 4-5 hours of them up. Some collie guns fired for the hell of it. When it came to down to it, Wardens made their limited shots count, and that's what lead to a lead in the SC trades.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
efficiency is for the birds.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Goons did some good work killing spotters in the loggerhead region and basically ruined any attempts at firing in the region. Loggerhead got rocked but most of the bunket bases withstood and have repaired so braided devastation it's pretty good

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We've bashed and shot our way to the centre of Now Mans Land Swamp Hell, the Baths will soon be under siege.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Had a fun time tonight keeping up with the raiding tanks and then getting executed by the collies after surviving the ambush by hiding in the logi truck. Not the most glorious death ever, but beats yet another day of getting chucked by artillery at the foot of some bridge stalemate.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Bridge battles are a blight on the game and I don't know why anyone partakes in them outside of fighting defensively to prevent an advance.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Bridge battles are a blight on the game and I don't know why anyone partakes in them outside of fighting defensively to prevent an advance.

Truth. the other day i was part of a mobile tank battle with some goons and a ton of tanks on both sides on a plain and it was some of the most fun I've had in the game

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Some maps are stupidly choke pointy over rivers the developers need to turn into streams or provide us some bridge crossing technology, like the incredibly advanced concept on a pontoon!

I wonder if the new Colonial areas are easier to fight in and more open?

Will we ever find out?

Also, I made some videos for those curious about some of the real world stuff that might have inspired the art team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB2M11E0Mqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ipC9soA5A

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

lets gooooooo

pokchu fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 11, 2021

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

bridge battles own in one regard, tho; you are usually being thwarted by people, not AI defenses.

the ai defenses are a fair bit behind the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I do like that I usually die to players and not AI.

I do wish that there were more “stealth” ways to defeat AI. I snuck across enemy lines the other day and while it was pretty fun sneaking my way through back lines and messing with logistics, I wish I was able to do a little more. Especially with regards to evading or sneaking past unmanned bases with AI.

I get that’s hard to balance, though. You don’t want one rando sneaking around wrecking everything.