Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
This may have been asked before, but what happens if you pull out Ash Twin's core and then take a vacation trip to the Stranger? Seeing as it escapes the Supernova and all. I recall there might have been an ending about floating around in the cold reaches of space if you got out of the supernova blast in the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zodack posted:

This may have been asked before, but what happens if you pull out Ash Twin's core and then take a vacation trip to the Stranger? Seeing as it escapes the Supernova and all. I recall there might have been an ending about floating around in the cold reaches of space if you got out of the supernova blast in the base game.

You get a special game over

There's another one if you pull the Ash Twin core then enter the simulation by dying

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

What happens if you enter the simulation by dying and then a stranger catches you and blows out your lantern?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

What happens if you enter the simulation by dying and then a stranger catches you and blows out your lantern?

With the ATP active it just boots you to the next loop

I assume with the ATP disabled it gives the "You Are Dead" ending

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

haveblue posted:

If you did to enter the simulation while the core is removed, it quickly fades out and gives you the bad end message before you get a chance to do anything. I’m not sure you even have time to stand in the fire. I don’t think it bothers to check if you entered at one of the fires that gets doused when the dam breaks.

I don’t think there’s a new ending if you free the stranger, rush to unplug the ATP, and then return to die to enter the simulation. It would be nice though to have a version where you have a buddy to spend the time until entropy gets the ship.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Can someone point me gently in the right direction? I found a slide reel which pointed to the endless canyon's lodge and the tree mural secret passage. I KNOW I have seen a tree mural somewhere else, but I can't for the life of me find it again I'm just getting frustrated with this part, since also it ain't recorded in the log.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mortons stork posted:

Can someone point me gently in the right direction? I found a slide reel which pointed to the endless canyon's lodge and the tree mural secret passage. I KNOW I have seen a tree mural somewhere else, but I can't for the life of me find it again I'm just getting frustrated with this part, since also it ain't recorded in the log.

The tree mural is on the bottom floor of the lodge, right near the entrance. Only issue is you'll need to go far to the left side of the lodge via the hand warps in order to reach the thing that lights up the bridge so you can descend.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

The tree mural is on the bottom floor of the lodge, right near the entrance. Only issue is you'll need to go far to the left side of the lodge via the hand warps in order to reach the thing that lights up the bridge so you can descend.

Wait, isn't that where an alien comes out of when you snuff out the light? is there something in its room? Or is the reel pointing at how to find the elevator to the forbidden archive? 'Cause I kinda accidentally worked my way to it waaaay earlier by experimenting with laying down the lantern and seeing all the bridges in green digital strings vision at one point, just working my way backwards from what I could see/reach

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mortons stork posted:

Wait, isn't that where an alien comes out of when you snuff out the light? is there something in its room? Or is the reel pointing at how to find the elevator to the forbidden archive? 'Cause I kinda accidentally worked my way to it waaaay earlier by experimenting with laying down the lantern and seeing all the bridges in green digital strings vision at one point, just working my way backwards from what I could see/reach

The reels all tell you how to get to the archives, yes. There's one for each location.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Late game spoilers

ok I was REALLY loving this DLC but I'm getting increasingly frustrated by the stealth sections at the end. I've found all the 3 clues telling me how to turn the lights off at the three locations, I understand where to go in each one to find what I assume to be the 5 symbol codes to unlock the coffin in the dream, but I have no idea how to actually proceed through these areas.

With my artifact concealed i literally can't see anything, if i have it on I get spotted and cannot seem to get away. The owls sometimes literally just appear right in front of me, so presumably I'm missing some mechanic or clue that would help. But I've scoured all the areas, my ship log seems complete other than the 3 codes i need to find, so I'm at a loss. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be a huge help, I'm trying to do this legit but I'm stonewalled a bit here.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mortons stork posted:

Yes, you seem to have done it out of sequence but that's what the slide is supposed to be a clue for.

HampHamp posted:

Late game spoilers

ok I was REALLY loving this DLC but I'm getting increasingly frustrated by the stealth sections at the end. I've found all the 3 clues telling me how to turn the lights off at the three locations, I understand where to go in each one to find what I assume to be the 5 symbol codes to unlock the coffin in the dream, but I have no idea how to actually proceed through these areas.

With my artifact concealed i literally can't see anything, if i have it on I get spotted and cannot seem to get away. The owls sometimes literally just appear right in front of me, so presumably I'm missing some mechanic or clue that would help. But I've scoured all the areas, my ship log seems complete other than the 3 codes i need to find, so I'm at a loss. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be a huge help, I'm trying to do this legit but I'm stonewalled a bit here.

The dark woodland area can be solved without having to sneak by anyone, just observation and consideration of everything in both worlds. The others you will have to sneak through.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 5, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

HampHamp posted:

Late game spoilers

One zone is a puzzle. Two you just need to get good.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

The reels all tell you how to get to the archives, yes. There's one for each location.

Thanks a lot! Looks like I know where I'm going next session!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HampHamp posted:

Late game spoilers

You're not missing anything, those parts just suck. Turn on the option to lessen frights which will help a bit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would highly suggest turning on the reduced frights option. It makes that stuff a lot less frustrating.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah n-thing putting on reduced frights. It doesn't really remove anything scary, just makes things less annoying to deal with.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Replying to answers above:

I don't actually mind stealth stuff but this seems so arbitrary that I'm sure I must be doing something wrong. Like I either walk around in pitch darkness and hope for the best, or use my light a little bit and just stumble into an invisible monster.

I'm intrigued by the fact that the woodland area is doable without stealth, ill try and do some more digging there.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Also, note that you can't see the ones looking for you until after they have found you, unlike the ones walking to the choir hall. Think about why that may be.

More if necessary : think about the options on your lamp

More if necessary: you can't see where they are unless they look right at you because they are using the focus mode on their lamps. You can do the same and bait them away from where they are.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Thanks for the help, I've made a little progress now. I'd be curious to see the intended path for this section, it seems very unintuitive unless I missed a clue or something. Late game spoilers

so after wandering around the forest a bit I followed a guy with a light and he led me through a cave to the big house. I was locked in with a bunch of owls, wasn't sure what to do so I dashed for the fire but got caught.

Shortly after this I was woken up by the dam breaking, which made me think the hut being flooded would extinguish all the owl lanterns as well as my own. Mad dash to cinder Isles fire, raft trip to forest, and luckily I had opened the door at the start of the forest area to get back in. Stumbled around the pitch black forest trying to find that cave entrance again, through the fire, and learned about the loading screen glitch. This is the kind of thing I love about this game, did not see that coming and thought it was a cool reveal.

But did I take the intended path to this point? There seems to be no direction, all the areas become super hard to navigate when the lights are out, and it was only because of this thread that I spent more time in the forest.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

HampHamp posted:

Thanks for the help, I've made a little progress now. I'd be curious to see the intended path for this section, it seems very unintuitive unless I missed a clue or something. Late game spoilers

so after wandering around the forest a bit I followed a guy with a light and he led me through a cave to the big house. I was locked in with a bunch of owls, wasn't sure what to do so I dashed for the fire but got caught.

Shortly after this I was woken up by the dam breaking, which made me think the hut being flooded would extinguish all the owl lanterns as well as my own. Mad dash to cinder Isles fire, raft trip to forest, and luckily I had opened the door at the start of the forest area to get back in. Stumbled around the pitch black forest trying to find that cave entrance again, through the fire, and learned about the loading screen glitch. This is the kind of thing I love about this game, did not see that coming and thought it was a cool reveal.

But did I take the intended path to this point? There seems to be no direction, all the areas become super hard to navigate when the lights are out, and it was only because of this thread that I spent more time in the forest.

You did this section the intended way, yes. There's no hint about the exact solution to that area, you have to work it out yourself.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You did this section the intended way, yes. There's no hint about the exact solution to that area, you have to work it out yourself.

Sorry for asking so many questions, just one more!

So I seem to have checked out everything possible using the loading glitch, I was able to blow out one of the 3 locks. But that seems to be all I can do here, so I actually have to do the other 2 stealth segments without any clues that will make them easier? Feel like I'm back to square one, I was convinced that there would be a workaround to the other two segments.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

HampHamp posted:

So I seem to have checked out everything possible using the loading glitch, I was able to blow out one of the 3 locks. But that seems to be all I can do here, so I actually have to do the other 2 stealth segments without any clues that will make them easier? Feel like I'm back to square one, I was convinced that there would be a workaround to the other two segments.

welcome to the big design flaw with the dlc that everybody hates

you can kind of work around the endless canyon one with similar raft goofing but nothing as clean as the woods

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Swilo posted:

welcome to the big design flaw with the dlc that everybody hates

I mean it's so bad that I'm having trouble accepting that this is the intended way, thats why I keep asking so many questions.

like... I'm at the well section. I blow out the candles so I can progress. I make my way down the lift to the lower level. But... what then? Do I keep my artifact off and find the way in pitch darkness? I've tried keeping it in focus mode and luring enemies away that way, but I never know where they are in the first place. I always end up just running directly into an enemy and starting over. It's just... mind boggling how aggravating it is.

HampHamp fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 5, 2021

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i'd recommend figuring out how to access behind the firepit in the singing house first since the glitch you learn from that one is very helpful in puzzling out stuff

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

HampHamp posted:

You'll eventually have to engage with the stealth mechanic to get past at least three owls that I can think of off the top of my head. There are things you learn about the DLC that either help make the sections easier or bypass them entirely but you don't learn them until you're already past those sections so they're more for convenience when you're going back and checking for more clues.

As for strategy, the owls have relatively bad AI and can't really keep track of you when your lantern is out. The downside is you can't see a drat thing either, so it's best to look where you want to go, turn your lantern off, and run forward to that point even though you can't see where you're going. Shine the light in their face for a few seconds when you're still at a distance and walk backwards to lead them away from wherever you're trying to go. The owls you have to avoid are all patrolling areas where it's relatively trivial to lead them to one side so they're out of the way and then you can go dark and slip past. Just make sure you don't walk into the water.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

There’s a good sequence skip for Endless Canyon to get past the part everyone hates. Hints, in order from a simple nudge to an obvious push: The boat dock for the tower can only be accessed through the back of the tower, which means that the only way to get to the boat dock is to first light and then cross the inner bridge. With both of those in mind, this means that if you can get to the tower via the boat dock, you’re already across the bridge.

Full explanation: The entire stealth section can be skipped by setting yourself up a back door via the boat dock into the back of the tower, letting you avoid having to light the bridge after turning out the lights. First, enter the dream world from the third fire, go through the normal sequence to light the inner bridge, then head out the back to the boat dock. Send the elevator down, but don’t get in it yourself. Next, put out the lights by heading back over the bridge and following the instructions you got from the earlier reel. Leave the simulation and proceed to one of the other two fires. Reenter the simulation, light a boat dock, and head back to the Endless Canyon. Take the elevator up and head back into the hall. Take the stairs down, then walk forward until you reach the doorway where the mural once was. Do not dawdle, and do not turn around, as there will be a Stranger behind you.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Endless Canyon thing I learned last night and confirmed myself today, to my great amazement:
you can jump THROUGH one of the paintings in the room above where you wake up in the canyon to fast-track RIGHT to the extinguish spot that you would otherwise reach by crossing the invisible bridge from near the outdoor stage.

also there's a ramp up to the invisible bridge from the extinguishing spot that I never knew existed. I always jumped down the ledge in front of the tree and never considered to check behind the tree.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Nth Doctor posted:

Endless Canyon thing I learned last night and confirmed myself today, to my great amazement:
you can jump THROUGH one of the paintings in the room above where you wake up in the canyon to fast-track RIGHT to the extinguish spot that you would otherwise reach by crossing the invisible bridge from near the outdoor stage.

also there's a ramp up to the invisible bridge from the extinguishing spot that I never knew existed. I always jumped down the ledge in front of the tree and never considered to check behind the tree.

I did this backwards from you but I think you did it the unintended way :D I found the thing to extinguish some other way (maybe it was revealed in a clue, I don't remember) and then as I was leaving I went through what you described. Which was great cause every failure I could just go backwards to reextinguish.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

HampHamp posted:

I mean it's so bad that I'm having trouble accepting that this is the intended way, thats why I keep asking so many questions.

like... I'm at the well section. I blow out the candles so I can progress. I make my way down the lift to the lower level. But... what then? Do I keep my artifact off and find the way in pitch darkness? I've tried keeping it in focus mode and luring enemies away that way, but I never know where they are in the first place. I always end up just running directly into an enemy and starting over. It's just... mind boggling how aggravating it is.

The only reliable thing I've really sussed for that place is that the railing either side of the stairs down line up perfectly with the far wall you want to get to. So what I do is conceal and press up to it, wait for the way to clear (thankfully you can see the hunter's horns silhouetted against the back light) then just jump and run forward two levels then go straight to the back wall. Also the railings stop you being instantly grabbed if one of them spots you, giving some extra conceal and jump time. It's still pretty ropey as far as OW puzzles go, but that setup makes me think it's the intended solution.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

blastron posted:

There’s a good sequence skip for Endless Canyon to get past the part everyone hates. Hints, in order from a simple nudge to an obvious push: The boat dock for the tower can only be accessed through the back of the tower, which means that the only way to get to the boat dock is to first light and then cross the inner bridge. With both of those in mind, this means that if you can get to the tower via the boat dock, you’re already across the bridge.

Full explanation: The entire stealth section can be skipped by setting yourself up a back door via the boat dock into the back of the tower, letting you avoid having to light the bridge after turning out the lights. First, enter the dream world from the third fire, go through the normal sequence to light the inner bridge, then head out the back to the boat dock. Send the elevator down, but don’t get in it yourself. Next, put out the lights by heading back over the bridge and following the instructions you got from the earlier reel. Leave the simulation and proceed to one of the other two fires. Reenter the simulation, light a boat dock, and head back to the Endless Canyon. Take the elevator up and head back into the hall. Take the stairs down, then walk forward until you reach the doorway where the mural once was. Do not dawdle, and do not turn around, as there will be a Stranger behind you.

I know you're real proud of this and all, but uh use one of the tricks you've learned and check out the elevator area.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I know you're real proud of this and all, but uh use one of the tricks you've learned and check out the elevator area.

I believe you only learn that trick from the archive at the bottom of the endless canyon, which his approach will let you reach more easily without knowing the trick in advance. I think it’s a good tip.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

I'm such a dumbass...

I decided that the most logical thing to do at the green fires were to burn myself to death in order to "ascend" to what I believed at that time was the spirit plane.
So every time I needed to visit that place I just kept on killing myself and it took me several hours of gameplay to finally figure out that the proper way was to doze off.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

finished the DLC and shoutout to the prisoner for basically singlehandedly ensuring that a new universe gets to be born

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I got real mad about this once I learned about the glitch world and started exploring around the canyon. However, since it requires knowing about the trick at the end of the sequence, and since most people will only learn about that trick from beating it, I’d rather not tell people about the glitch and let them learn about it themselves.

game design speculation: I wonder why the easy glitched shortcut routes exist. Were they specifically put in for players that figured out the tricks by accident, or are they the remnants of a cut feature? I can imagine an early version of the final run where the locks on the Prisoner’s tomb are controlled from the vaults themselves (they all have clear balconies that directly face the tomb) where knowing the glitched way in is the only way to get through all of them in time.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

blastron posted:

Yeah I got real mad about this once I learned about the glitch world and started exploring around the canyon. However, since it requires knowing about the trick at the end of the sequence, and since most people will only learn about that trick from beating it, I’d rather not tell people about the glitch and let them learn about it themselves.

game design speculation: I wonder why the easy glitched shortcut routes exist. Were they specifically put in for players that figured out the tricks by accident, or are they the remnants of a cut feature? I can imagine an early version of the final run where the locks on the Prisoner’s tomb are controlled from the vaults themselves (they all have clear balconies that directly face the tomb) where knowing the glitched way in is the only way to get through all of them in time.

I think it's just a way to let people get back to the end sections quickly in case they want to watch the slideshows again (in case they feel like they missed something). A lot of Outer Wilds' design involves sneaky back doors where the intent is that you can easily find them after getting in the hard way, so if you want to go back you don't have to do the hard way again.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Highly enjoyed this DLC, lots of very entertaining puzzles with great solutions and great reveals, some really great details. A few puzzles where I got stuck for an unreasonable amount of time before taking enough steps back to figure out what was actually going on, but I got them all without hints eventually. A really sinister, conspiratorial tone through most of the story, leading to what I felt was a fairly underwhelming ending. We meet another good-hearted, well-meaning alien, and bringing them to the Eye with us has no significant effect on the final outcome.

beep by grandpa posted:

I was gonna joke that who could be afraid of our lil ol hearthian but omg how freakin adorably cute is our little guy when you see him growing up during the "catch up" segment in the ending :3: I always thought our little shawl/scarf thing makes us look way more badass than we have any right to be.

While playing the DLC it occurred to me for the first time that we've never seen the player character with the suit off - there's no way to take a selfie that I could ever figure out. You could launch the scout suitless from the ship's cockpit, but the cockpit window is one-way! I also realised that we never found out how their pointy ears fit into those helmets. So it was nice to have both of those resolved, even if the answers were exactly what you'd expect.

Thoom posted:

Got halfway into Dark Bramble with the Ash Twin Core before realizing I didn't actually have a good way to locate the Vessel. Oops.

Mark the location on your ship's computer and you will be able to find it directly every time. (The computer knows a lot more than it's letting on.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would always go to the nomai gravesite and fire the scout :/

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I just practiced the run a bunch of times until I had the direction from the anglerfish nest to the Vessel memorized. IIRC, it’s Right and Up from the fist cluster of eggs you find if you just let yourself drift forward hands off the stick

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

blastron posted:

Hell, you don't even need a back door if you don't mind some RNG. You can drop from the starting level of the building to the top of the stairs to the bottom floor and survive, you just have to get above the stairs, drop down and aim for the top of the stairs. It's just ends up being a coinflip on if you survive the fall or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
While I definitely feel the stealth section frustration in places, I feel like there's a lot to love here. One thing I love is just how much of this you can figure out with some exploration - just like with the base game there is so much stuff that is there and ready to go with a little knowledge, but the slide reels, aside from arguably the one about the first secret picture aren't actually necessary, you can basically figure out all the rest and t it yourself with a bit of experimentation and observation. I think I actually solved roughly half the puzzles before getting their associated hints, which was a wonderful feeling.

Also when you get caught and they rear up and then... gently blow out your candle its adorable.

Those stealth sections though, woof. I like the concept, but stumbling around in the dark world is borderline unpleasant prior to running into people that want to grab you.

Wish I could just go and blow out all these fuckers lights like they can do to mine and I can do to candles!

Anyway, no hints, still got more to beat, but I really am enjoying it so far.

I'm also glad I started over because when I need a break I can just go re explore some other planets and remember how great that stuff was.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 6, 2021