Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Terro liquid baits are gold. You've just gotta set them out, let the and trail flow and do not disturb them. It will be gross, and there will be a billion ants for a day or two, but once the bait starts killing them in the nest they dwindle out and stop.

You can also try diatomaceous earth around entry points if you want to go with a natural remedy that's perfectly pet safe assuming you're not throwing it around into breathable air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

TheJunkyardGod posted:

I recently moved into a new house and we've been battling an ant problem that we just can't defeat. The ants have migrated into my daughters room with her 3 birds, 2 budgies and a cockatiel. I know birds are sensitive to chemicals but is it possible to spray a non-aerosol pesticide in the room or should be relocate them for the day to another room while we spray that area?

So, I hate ants. Every place I've lived for the last 15 years has either had an endemic population of fire ants, or seen the little harmless black ones replaced by aggressively invasive bitey versions, both of which eventually decide to invade my home and start chomping on every organic thing they can find. Food, people, pets, toothpaste, everything is fair game to them. Breakfast time? Nope, ants in the cereal boxes and all over the produce. Feed the bird? Nope, Zupreem cheaped out on the bag resealer, and the ants just walked right through it. Why do I feel a prickling sensation in my feet? Oh, because the ants decided my freshly shampooed carpet is the perfect source of moisture today. I don't just find them irritating; at this point in my life, I'm fully xenocidal. So, here's the Suntan Boy method for driving back the onslaught/turning your home into a chemical hellscape:

- Buy an assload of poison bait traps. They usually contain a mix of peanut butter and poison that's harmless to larger vertebrates, so go ham. Put them at every potential point of entry, whether the little bastards have discovered it yet or not. Drop several directly on lines of them, maybe with a little smear of something enticing on the ramp to coax them inside. Lay down barrier spray to herd them toward the traps.

- If you have a yard, let them know they're not welcome there. Grab your hose, attach a sprayer with concentrated poison, and turn every inch of your domain into a toxic marsh. Maybe do it a few times to make sure it penetrates deep, because those fuckers don't deserve respite, no matter which way they dig. The rest of the bugs that also reside there will attempt to communicate the monstrousness of your actions by collectively dying on your porch overnight; maybe keep a broom handy.

- Get a bunch of spray meant for indoors. The all-natural rosemary/mint stuff is effective for exactly as long as it stays wet, and diatomaceous earth is only good until they've built a pile of corpses over it, so buy something with hard-to-pronounce chemical compounds prominently listed as active ingredients. Stick the end of the little nozzle into every crack and crevice they've ever come from, and completely saturate whatever is on the other side. If it's been a few hours, start going after the stragglers that haven't dragged poisoned peanut butter back to the colony yet. Wear safety squints, the ants win if you accidentally blind yourself in the process.

- Hope you got a big jug of the barrier spray, because we're about to get real busy. Every corner, ever gap, every crevice of your entire home gets an unbroken line of barrier spray. I'm talking all the way around every doorjamb and window, every pipe coming through your walls, every vent, every nail hole you never got around to patching, the inside and outside edges of every cabinet, and every place where floor meets wall. If that means you have to saturate some carpet to make sure, good. The persistent little assholes will find every spot you half-assed, so be thorough.

And yeah, while you're turning your place into Ant Chernobyl, you're going to want to move the birds someplace with good fresh air ventilation. The fumes aren't great. Mookie got to cheer me on from the safety of the garage, with fans moving outside air past him and into the house.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 5, 2021

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Quote still isn't edit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

yoshesque posted:

So this happened. What should I do? She’s plucked almost all of her chest. :(

Green check conure, has a boyfriend. They’ve been shagging like mad for what feels like months but this is the first time she’s laid.

Can you give us some more details about her living situation? Her daily schedule of when she wakes to when she is covered up, he diet, is the molting, toys in the cage, is this her first time plucking, etc etc.

LonsomeSon posted:

I was about to suggest this very thing, ants like to come into our kitchen after Oregon’s dry season starts and Terro in each set of cabinets is enough to make them start looking elsewhere after a bit. We’ve had parakeets for years now, and while they’re not particularly close to where the Terro goes just having it present hasn’t harmed them like some chemicals can.

There’s also an ant killer my mom used to make out of Borax, but I searched up the bicarb ant killer mentioned above and it seems easier to clean up residues of so I’m seconding that as well.

We moved to Oregon about four years ago. Those little tiny dot ants are infuriating. They are pretty benign, but get into God damned everything.

Terro is good for dealing with "Invasion Points" where they suddenly come streaming in to swarm something. But it didn't deal with the daily stragglers that would inevitably crawl on me a few times a day. I'm loving terrified of insects, but these were so small they were more irritating. But being crawled on in bed gets old.

Terro powder around the house followed by liquid bait everywhere really helped. But if I'm being honest, the only thing that seemed to eradicate them was hiring a pest control service. Year, I'm not thrilled with paying $90 every three months plus a contract. But since they started up, I haven't seen a single ant. I think they are so tiny, it's helpless to get into every nook and cranny they crawl through without professional equipment.

Serra, who has since had a nail trim, says a Henlo.

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus
Thank you everyone for the Ant tips!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ants are terrible. They are the only bugs that I get squeamish about. Good luck.

Bliss.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

By mass, there are more ants than any other form of life on Earth!

I love ants like I love all animals but feel no remorse killing them when needed.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ants work hard at a thankless task and the world would be a much dirtier place without them cleaning up.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Re: bugchat, anyone have experience with stinkbugs? No matter how many I kill they keep getting into my bedroom

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

BigDave posted:

Re: bugchat, anyone have experience with stinkbugs? No matter how many I kill they keep getting into my bedroom

there are some invasive stink bugs that seem endless. just squish and move on.

Captain Log posted:

Terro for ants is supposed to be nontoxic to pets. We used it in our condo and had good success with it. Not perfect, but it did a good job until we eventually got a pest control person.

LonsomeSon posted:

I was about to suggest this very thing, ants like to come into our kitchen after Oregon’s dry season starts and Terro in each set of cabinets is enough to make them start looking elsewhere after a bit. We’ve had parakeets for years now, and while they’re not particularly close to where the Terro goes just having it present hasn’t harmed them like some chemicals can.

There’s also an ant killer my mom used to make out of Borax, but I searched up the bicarb ant killer mentioned above and it seems easier to clean up residues of so I’m seconding that as well.

terro is generally borax! we also like and use it fwiw.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Stink bugs always got in through the window unit ACs, or the screen of the bathroom vent fan. Double checking how well windows and vents are sealed stopped them from getting in.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mediaphage posted:

there are some invasive stink bugs that seem endless. just squish and move on.

yup, those are the ones, brown marmorated stink bug

hot water mixed with dish soap kills on contact, but drat I'd love to somehow keep from sunning on the side of my house

well, another couple of weeks and the cold will kill them off

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/ofesN9F.mp4
With sound!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Birds that I have a hard time believing are real: toucans

I mean, look at that ridiculous thing

(I love them)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Sometimes I really wish I had two enormous and very precisely mated shovels growing out of my face myself

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Magpies have been sneaking a peek at my work from home roster - they turned up and started singing for me the minute my lunch break started :tinfoil:

Edit: to clarify, my schedule varies and my break is not the same time each day

GotLag fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 6, 2021

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Can you give us some more details about her living situation? Her daily schedule of when she wakes to when she is covered up, he diet, is the molting, toys in the cage, is this her first time plucking, etc etc.

The conures go to bed (separate bedroom which is dark as dark can be, covered) at around 8.00pm and get woken up at around 7am. They get chop every day (corn, broccoli, apples are staples, fresh berries and chia/hemp seeds to keep things interesting), and have unrestricted access to Zupreem fruit blend pellets. They'll occasionally get some wild bird seed mix as a treat.

There are a few toys in their cage, but she tends to not really engage with them all that much. Definitely nothing dark that could be a nest. We recently shuffled the perches/toys in their cage as well.

All the birds are beginning to molt now. This is the first time I've seen her plucking, but the conures predate my current relationship (we have two conures and a galah). She's always been a bit weird; despite being hand-raised the most she will tolerate is stepping up. Anything else is a 'gently caress off' bite. She was purchased as a young bird to be a companion to our other conure, and they bonded pretty much immediately which I think would be why she's not as hand tame. I think she's about 5 years old.

I've had a look at advice for dealing with hormonal birds, and the one thing we haven't done is separate the two, because she gets REALLY stressed out when she's not with her bf. Even if she can see him she'll get stressed.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Honestly, seeing the egg was just really bizarre and neither of us knew what to do with it. We were naively hoping she'd never lay lol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

yoshesque posted:

The conures go to bed (separate bedroom which is dark as dark can be, covered) at around 8.00pm and get woken up at around 7am. They get chop every day (corn, broccoli, apples are staples, fresh berries and chia/hemp seeds to keep things interesting), and have unrestricted access to Zupreem fruit blend pellets. They'll occasionally get some wild bird seed mix as a treat.

There are a few toys in their cage, but she tends to not really engage with them all that much. Definitely nothing dark that could be a nest. We recently shuffled the perches/toys in their cage as well.

All the birds are beginning to molt now. This is the first time I've seen her plucking, but the conures predate my current relationship (we have two conures and a galah). She's always been a bit weird; despite being hand-raised the most she will tolerate is stepping up. Anything else is a 'gently caress off' bite. She was purchased as a young bird to be a companion to our other conure, and they bonded pretty much immediately which I think would be why she's not as hand tame. I think she's about 5 years old.

I've had a look at advice for dealing with hormonal birds, and the one thing we haven't done is separate the two, because she gets REALLY stressed out when she's not with her bf. Even if she can see him she'll get stressed.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Honestly, seeing the egg was just really bizarre and neither of us knew what to do with it. We were naively hoping she'd never lay lol

Yeah, I sure don't see any red flags in what you're doing for your bird. But suddenly plucking warrants a lot of attention.

On the plucking, I'd heartily recommend seeing a vet. Problems like that are best handled quick.

On the egg laying, sometimes lady birds are going to get super horny. Has it only been the one? Because if it's just one, I wouldn't worry too much. If it's fertile, you can freeze it then give it back. If you remove the egg, bird logic goes, "Welp, I guess I need to make fifteen more!" It's best to leave the egg in there and let them lose interest when they don't successfully make a tiny alien that craves vomit.

BigDave posted:

yup, those are the ones, brown marmorated stink bug

hot water mixed with dish soap kills on contact, but drat I'd love to somehow keep from sunning on the side of my house

well, another couple of weeks and the cold will kill them off

Christ, my grandfather's place got those so bad. The only good thing is they are incredibly stupid, even by insect standards. They seem to have zero self preservation instincts.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
https://i.imgur.com/ksA4DWT.mp4

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Suntan Boy posted:

So, I hate ants. Every place I've lived for the last 15 years has either had an endemic population of fire ants, or seen the little harmless black ones replaced by aggressively invasive bitey versions, both of which eventually decide to invade my home and start chomping on every organic thing they can find. Food, people, pets, toothpaste, everything is fair game to them. Breakfast time? Nope, ants in the cereal boxes and all over the produce. Feed the bird? Nope, Zupreem cheaped out on the bag resealer, and the ants just walked right through it. Why do I feel a prickling sensation in my feet? Oh, because the ants decided my freshly shampooed carpet is the perfect source of moisture today. I don't just find them irritating; at this point in my life, I'm fully xenocidal. So, here's the Suntan Boy method for driving back the onslaught/turning your home into a chemical hellscape:

- Buy an assload of poison bait traps. They usually contain a mix of peanut butter and poison that's harmless to larger vertebrates, so go ham. Put them at every potential point of entry, whether the little bastards have discovered it yet or not. Drop several directly on lines of them, maybe with a little smear of something enticing on the ramp to coax them inside. Lay down barrier spray to herd them toward the traps.

- If you have a yard, let them know they're not welcome there. Grab your hose, attach a sprayer with concentrated poison, and turn every inch of your domain into a toxic marsh. Maybe do it a few times to make sure it penetrates deep, because those fuckers don't deserve respite, no matter which way they dig. The rest of the bugs that also reside there will attempt to communicate the monstrousness of your actions by collectively dying on your porch overnight; maybe keep a broom handy.

- Get a bunch of spray meant for indoors. The all-natural rosemary/mint stuff is effective for exactly as long as it stays wet, and diatomaceous earth is only good until they've built a pile of corpses over it, so buy something with hard-to-pronounce chemical compounds prominently listed as active ingredients. Stick the end of the little nozzle into every crack and crevice they've ever come from, and completely saturate whatever is on the other side. If it's been a few hours, start going after the stragglers that haven't dragged poisoned peanut butter back to the colony yet. Wear safety squints, the ants win if you accidentally blind yourself in the process.

- Hope you got a big jug of the barrier spray, because we're about to get real busy. Every corner, ever gap, every crevice of your entire home gets an unbroken line of barrier spray. I'm talking all the way around every doorjamb and window, every pipe coming through your walls, every vent, every nail hole you never got around to patching, the inside and outside edges of every cabinet, and every place where floor meets wall. If that means you have to saturate some carpet to make sure, good. The persistent little assholes will find every spot you half-assed, so be thorough.

And yeah, while you're turning your place into Ant Chernobyl, you're going to want to move the birds someplace with good fresh air ventilation. The fumes aren't great. Mookie got to cheer me on from the safety of the garage, with fans moving outside air past him and into the house.

I have an old quart of diazinon; a total of a teaspoon sprinkled around the foundation was equivalent to Apocalypse

then I learned about the actual insect apocalypse and started planting insect-friendly plants

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Ah, the Tsar Bomba to my tactical nukes. For the true wasteland experience.

Seriously though, unless you're running an agricultural enterprise, find a way to dispose of that poo poo. I'm just trying to keep ants away (and the odd scorpion, I guess); that stuff kills everything, up to and including people.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I was constantly surprised by the degree to which ants were an issue when I lived on a boat.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra is very, very round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8D-lE-WYqM

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
She's so cute!

Plus the chattering from Blue and Yellow had Pesto darting around trying to find the budgies.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

OMG SOUND!!!
https://i.imgur.com/ZLGCAZ8.mp4

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I can’t believe you would deny this bird a second pop-tart box, like some kind of cleanliness monster

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Lovebirds are absolutely nuts and I love them for it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ6XiGQ6qMU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Road trip!

This is his second trip in the new travel cage and he's acclimated to it wonderfully. Happily sitting and chewing cardboard during the drive, no perceptible anxiety.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If I had less self control, I would have brought this very special Borb Fren home yesterday.

What a Unit. :derptiel:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Captain Log posted:

If I had less self control, I would have brought this very special Borb Fren home yesterday.

omg this bird

wish I could pet that fluffy gentleman

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Log posted:

What a Unit. :derptiel:

OMG he is our long-lost buddy Puff Puff's identical twin! Other budgies adored Puff Puff - in the pet shop where we got him, there was a literal queue of other booges lined up to preen his glorious chops :3:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm pretty sure that in budgie terms, that bird is an Adonis.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
They also had another batch of Serra Brethren.

But guess what? There was a juvenile parakeet living with them!

The store has a strict policy about no breed mixing when it comes to cages, barring exceptional circumstances. Apparently, this parakeet was raised with the Baby Serras and got along with them like a hatch mate. I watched them for a while and they ate and nestled together the whole time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
hello? has anyone seen girl

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SuperKlaus posted:

Road trip!

This is his second trip in the new travel cage and he's acclimated to it wonderfully. Happily sitting and chewing cardboard during the drive, no perceptible anxiety.

I love Sinbad :lmao: I've come to love my Charlemagne very much since he came to live with me and Amadeus, and through your pictures I've learned Senegals now prompt the same delight that's prompted by pictures of GCCs. Look at that happy boy :allears:

Also, Robo, that photo of Sera is perfect.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The girls' chick left the nest today! I walked over to their street to say hello this afternoon and saw Pikelet huddled up by a tree while the girls foraged nearby and kept watch:

Pikelet then went and hid in a garden bed nearby while the girls were away for a short time, but its hiding spot was not very good so I kept watch:

Stumpy!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/SlCYL8U.mp4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I randomly came across something on Amazon that actually has a real parrot in the pictures. Each one, the Amazon is doing something different.

But the picture, with the mask and blurred out face, cracks me up. I feel like they are a super villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Log posted:

I randomly came across something on Amazon that actually has a real parrot in the pictures. Each one, the Amazon is doing something different.

But the picture, with the mask and blurred out face, cracks me up. I feel like they are a super villain.

I'm taking that image as those WANTED posters where the only image they have of the criminal is a group photo and they blur out the faces of everyone except the suspect.

What am I saying is that Amazon has some skeletons, possibly real ones, in the food cup.