Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Waves makes you pay for plugin updates after one year. I don't know how long the plan lasts, but, yeah, that's what that is.

For the record, I have a bunch of amp sims, but GTR isn't the best. It has a dual amp setup which is nice, but none of the amps feel natural to me. Electrum and, of course, BIAS blow it out of the water.

SwankyAmp is a great free amp sim. I use it over the paid stuff when I need something quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

OutOfPrint posted:

I think this is going to be the one for me.

Famous last words

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

OutOfPrint posted:

Waves makes you pay for plugin updates after one year. I don't know how long the plan lasts, but, yeah, that's what that is.

Yeah, I get the mechanics of it. You also need to be on the update plan to use it on a second computer (which will be useful to me). I just can't find anything that tells me what the cost of the plan for a given plugin will be. I assume it is based on the list price of the plugin, which is 3-5x the "real" (perpetual sale) price. $5/year? Whatever. $50/year? Never mind.

Good to know about GTR, I'm not super itching to buy anything right this minute. I was playing around with Velvet + Guitar Rig 6 (the free version) and while it did liven up the sound a bit, it was still kind of underwhelming.

I've also discovered the Purgatory Creek EPs which a) sound great b) are super cheap and c) would make me feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of buying Kontakt :shepspends:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Amp sim pals, I have recently got into the Musician subscription bundle from Plugin Alliance and it has tons of Brainworx amp sims, which I've found are really good. Not as quick to set up as Neural (in terms of how good it sounds to start, how long it takes to dial a patch in, Neural is good at that!), definitely way more feature limited than Amplitube 5 or other comprehensive kits since the Brainworx stuff is more self-contained and you put together chains as discrete plugins to an extent. They don't appear to have stereo or multi-IR support, but they do have good IRs recorded with some high quality recording chains as one would expect. Once you get them dialed in, though, there is pretty much a complete lack of aliasing and quantization artifacts and they sound (and, with low enough latency, feel) very convincingly amp-like. I like them, a lot.

I feel like they start a bit darker than I'd expect, but with any amp sim you should be prepared to dig in and configure patches for your setup. The bundles Plugin Alliance does give you access to different groups of their plugins and refunds the cost after a year (or, up front if you buy a year's access in advance) as store credit so you can kind of rent-to-own your favorites that you can pick up discounted during sales, which seems reasonably common these days for subscription models. I dig it.

I reckon I may change to the Mega bundle after this month, since I have trialed some of their mixing and mastering tools and I quite like some of those also (would still want to stick with a bundle that includes the Musician stuff too, so that's just the Mega from here - LION is interesting, Knifonium is unique and lovable, and these amp sim products are things I do not want to lose access to). I own BX Masterdesk and I think it's really handy, it got me great results on a recent track, but there are... approximately a shitload more and among them are some pretty interesting plugins.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 25, 2021

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Plugin Alliances' plugins are both incredibly good and hilariously overpriced. Luckily, they run sales almost daily and subscribers to their newsletter get pretty regular $20 off coupons, so you can get some really expensive stuff affordably. The Vertigo VSM-3 and bx_masterdesk were on the mix buses of every song on my last album, Console_N, their Neve console emulation, was on most of the songs, and Knifonium is a wild synth that gives me weird sounds I can't get from anything else.

Those guys go crazy with their bx line. The Console_N isn't just an emulation of their in house console, but they modeled each of its 72 channels to get the infinitesimally small differences between them.

For a while, they had their Ampeg SVT-VR Classic bass amp sim free, which I used on this song for a really nice driven bass sound. It's my go to not-free bass amp sim.

Incidentally, the reason I'm harping on free vs paid plugins is that I'm working on a little video series on how to make decent enough for release sounding songs as cheaply as possible with the gear I have. It won't be ready for a while yet, but it's a fun challenge.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i really loving hate waves as a business but yeah i’ve gotta give it to electric 88

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I just got Spitfire Originals Intimate Strings and I really like it.
All their non-Kontakt stuff is so insanely light, it's voodoo.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Soundforge Pro and some other random stuff is on Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/software/sound-forge-pro-hit-record-production-software

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

What are you missing out on by being 2 behind the latest version (13 vs. 15)?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OutOfPrint posted:

Vital doesn't come with presets

https://forum.vital.audio/t/august-2021-free-patch-sharing-thread/7564

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Qylvaran posted:

What are you missing out on by being 2 behind the latest version (13 vs. 15)?

Stability, maybe? Pretty sure SoundForge's last substantial feature update was in 2003 or something.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Arturia has 50% off individual instruments. Should I get the Juno or the Prophet or the DX7?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Togu Audio Line Juno emulation is excellent and cheaper still. Dexed does a great dx7 for free, though the user interface isn't quite as inviting as arturia's.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Cherry Audio DCO-106 Juno emulation is $25 on Plugin Boutique as part of CA's big summer sale.

Their thing is to model the original hardware as closely as possible, then update them to add features not found on the hardware, like making the Korg MS-20 polyphonic, changing the weird terminology on its patch panel, adding a three section sequencer, and a bunch of effects because, gently caress it, they can so why not, on their PS-20.

Goddamn I love the PS-20. It's so delightfully trashy.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

prom candy posted:

Arturia has 50% off individual instruments. Should I get the Juno or the Prophet or the DX7?

Get the Easel.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
gently caress bought the wrong one someone get Pauly Shore out of my loving house

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just put down a bowl of nugs and grindage, he’ll settle down.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OutOfPrint posted:

gently caress bought the wrong one someone get Pauly Shore out of my loving house

:golfclap:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

OutOfPrint posted:

The Cherry Audio DCO-106 Juno emulation is $25 on Plugin Boutique as part of CA's big summer sale.

Their thing is to model the original hardware as closely as possible, then update them to add features not found on the hardware, like making the Korg MS-20 polyphonic, changing the weird terminology on its patch panel, adding a three section sequencer, and a bunch of effects because, gently caress it, they can so why not, on their PS-20.

Goddamn I love the PS-20. It's so delightfully trashy.

I like their Arp 2600 and Memory Moog emulations. They aren't the ultimate of authenticity to the original hardware (I think they kind of build these internally based on Voltage Modular), but they are good tools and fun to work with IMO as a break from soft supersynths. Cool attention to workflow and aesthetic also.

Y'all I am freaking out right now about Airwindows VSTs. No GUIs, free and open source but supported on Patreon, some truly great tools in the kit. Worth getting past the no GUI quirk, seriously. No meters on anything what with no GUI so get your favorite metering out and maybe even use your ears, some, I guess. :D

Try Tape2, Air2, Srsly2, ButterComp2 and the Consoles. Might take a bit of playing with the settings to get a handle on what they're doing and how, but once you do, wow. I'm loving Console7Cascade even on its own without the corresponding Bus plugin. The idea is you can use console channels on individual tracks and the bus on a bus that those channels feed into, and it does a bunch of stuff that helps to glue the tracks - haven't even had time to try that yet, I just put Console7 Channel and Cascade up against some quality console emulations and they sounded great. Very competitive.

There are shitloads of plugins, I haven't tried most yet, but at the price of free I recommend checking these out for sure. I will probably support his Patreon at some level, personally, I like these that much.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 7, 2021

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
^^^ Holy poo poo that dude does PowerPC builds :staredog:

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
my brain really likes that there’s no internal gui

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah like i’d take the lack of gui over a bad one any day of the week. and vst developers love bad guis

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Agreed posted:

I like their Arp 2600 and Memory Moog emulations. They aren't the ultimate of authenticity to the original hardware (I think they kind of build these internally based on Voltage Modular), but they are good tools and fun to work with IMO as a break from soft supersynths. Cool attention to workflow and aesthetic also.

Y'all I am freaking out right now about Airwindows VSTs. No GUIs, free and open source but supported on Patreon, some truly great tools in the kit. Worth getting past the no GUI quirk, seriously. No meters on anything what with no GUI so get your favorite metering out and maybe even use your ears, some, I guess. :D

Try Tape2, Srsly2, and the Consoles. I'm loving Console7Cascade even on its own without the corresponding Bus plugin. The idea is you can use console channels on individual tracks and the bus on a bus that those channels feed into, and it does a bunch of stuff that helps to glue the tracks - haven't even had time to try that yet, I just put Console7 Channel and Cascade up against some quality console emulations and they sounded great. Very competitive.

There are shitloads of plugins, I haven't tried most yet, but at the price of free I recommend checking these out for sure. I will probably support his Patreon at some level, personally, I like these that much.

Wow, thanks. Way back when I was first discovering DAWs and VSTs using Modplug, Psycle and Energy XT (and a sequencer that came with BeOS called XRS), I felt like audio software and VST design was one of the greatest artforms we have going on and likely more beautiful and inspirational than any music likely to be created with any of them -- not to diminish any of the music. But the steady flow of new VSTs has affirmed this feeling.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

BassDrive used at about 35%-45% wet into Console7Cascade is giving me great results right now tracking some stuff I wanted low end enhancement and harmonics on. So flexible, it is in no way just doing low frequency stuff (has four bands from low to presence) and used like this makes a versatile pre-treatment before hitting the console plugin, which from there is just one slider to taste. I understand it can do significantly more when used with the Bus plugin and care is taken with gain staging, but like this I already super dig it.

I agree, coders are doing a great and musical thing petit choux and this fella really impresses me, in the quality of his work of course but as much publishing it how he does. Usually great stuff is less of a free for all, awesome. There are a lot of really impressive independent developers now, albeit few this generous.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 7, 2021

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
AirWondows stuff is great, but I really wish he had an easier to navigate site so I could read descriptions of what each does without sorting through blog posts. I've been delving into them for a video series I hope I have time to make soon.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

OutOfPrint posted:

I've been delving into them for a video series I hope I have time to make soon.

Would watch!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's a third party site indexing his plugins and descriptions, but I forgot what it's called.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's a third party site indexing his plugins and descriptions, but I forgot what it's called.

I reckon this is it, Airwindows Cheat Sheet

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Awesome! Thanks, that's just what I needed.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Sure thing man! I am still in the phase of first encountering tons of new things in this and just kind of being super impressed with one after another in series. I think I will be using BassDrive -> Channel9 -> Console7 (not cascade, because Channel9 adds more harmonics as part of its operation so I needed to dial them back some afterward). I am going to try out the Console7Bus / Channel interaction in this track I am working on, see how I like it. I have high expectations after trying these out so far. That cheat sheet definitely helps finding the tool you might want for a situation amongst all of it.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Got an email from Arturia about an "exclusive" "flash sale" for V Collection 8 (I got the starter version with my Keylab 88 mkII). Is $250 an amazing deal I should jump on, or can I expect similar deals around, say, Black Friday?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's a good deal*, but they do have Black Friday sales. Not sure if it'll match the current sale price.

* but I got V-Collection years ago for $200, but I think the full price back then was $400

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Does someone want to start a new thread and put this stuff in the OP?

Or try to find Muckswirler to get them to update the OP?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you already have an Arturia product (even something that you got as a freebie from some promotion), the Black Friday upgrade to full V Collection deal will likely be better than $250. Probably $150-$200 (iirc it was 200 the year I pulled the trigger).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so I saw that Vapor Keys 2 was on sale for $19.00, and I want it, but I don't have Kontakt. I'm assuming that I can't use Kontakt Player for this, and would have to shell out literally hundreds of dollars for just Kontakt?

Edit: nevermind, found my answer. :smith:

the Website posted:

KONTAKT 6.2+ FORMAT (Full Version Required) – Free Kontakt Player is NOT supported

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Splinter posted:

If you already have an Arturia product (even something that you got as a freebie from some promotion), the Black Friday upgrade to full V Collection deal will likely be better than $250. Probably $150-$200 (iirc it was 200 the year I pulled the trigger).

They just released the SQ80, so that plus V Collection 8 is only $269. SQ80V by itself it $69.

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/sq80-v/overview

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The author of emergence just updated this unique and cool sounding tool with LFOs and more - it's a granular delay (so it can do some weird, fun stuff) with 4 lines and cool internal modulation, which costs nothing to download and is patreon supported if you choose to. I love it. It has good textual feedback at the bottom about what each control does, too. Great range of sounds, and it seems to be more musical than other granular delays I've used. Check it out, pals, I liked it enough to subscribe.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 17, 2021

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

The author of emergence just updated this unique and cool sounding tool with LFOs and more - it's a granular delay (so it can do some weird, fun stuff) with 4 lines and cool internal modulation, which costs nothing to download and is patreon supported if you choose to. I love it. It has good textual feedback at the bottom about what each control does, too. Great range of sounds, and it seems to be more musical than other granular delays I've used. Check it out, pals, I liked it enough to subscribe.

Oh man, this is really cool! It seems to be taller than my laptop's screen though so the bottom row of controls is inaccessible.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

That sucks, there's some important stuff down there! Can you see the feedback on mouseover still? The developer has posted some great plans for the future, including per-granule HP/LP/BP filtering and other stuff. He's also mentioned not feeling able to implement a freely scalable GUI, but give some different size options - maybe 75% or whatever will help in the future at least. edit: I brought up that issue Trig and daniel_ says, "[about] the laptop screen problem. I think this one should not be hard to fix in the next update." So hopefully that will be resolved soon.

Another thing I am liking lately: not just Brainworx but Nembrini amp sims. Well, ok, actually two of them in particular really have my ear: the new Suhr Pete Thorn amp sim put out through Plugin Alliance & the Nembrini Extasy amp. It happened like that, I tried the Suhr and was really happy with the sound (by the way, if you want it for $29.99 use the code " PT100-2999" at checkout, from Pete Thorn's youtube channel), and had to check out what he was doing separately. Igor Nembrini is the second Plugin Alliance affiliated coder that does badass solo work from, the other being Raymond Dratwa who makes killer plugins under the Fuse Audio Labs imprint on his own (he's also coded extensively for Black Rooster in the past, think that's over now though).

But I digress. After loving that amp, figured I'd give the Nembrini Extasy a try before the intro sale ran out (though, it seems he does seasonal sales that get you about the same price across his product range if you're not in a hurry). Tried it, liked it a lot. Apparently some folks like the Mercurial "Euphoria" model for this purpose but I really dig how the Nembrini Extasy sounds personally. Conditioning a signal for and mixing these is a little different than my favorites but the tones are on point, responsiveness feels great, and they don't have a crazy CPU hit which I appreciate as an older comp user. This Haswell at 4.3GHz is still putting in "decent" single thread performance all things considered, but with only four cores, these newer 8-16C computers are truly eating its lunch for multithreaded at this point and I do appreciate it when software isn't trying to use like my whole processor to do the thing.

Meanwhile! IK Multimedia has been adding a bunch of stuff to Amplitube 5 this year. I've enjoyed their improvements to pitch tracking speed and accuracy, the new filters they've introduced this year have been fun, and now they've made it so that delay and reverb have spillover rather than just cutting out immediately mid-repeats/reverb. I have wanted that for awhile, great to have it.

They have some new, pricier pedal & effects models in the CS in the form of their X-Gear pedals' algorithms within Amplitube 5 now. As an AT5 Max user I can confirm, they are not in AT5 Max and must be either purchased separately to use in Amplitube, or they're just included if you own the X-Gear pedal hardware that they're derived from, and you can edit presets on your comp and load them back to the pedal and all that. I tested the dirt pedals in AT5 against the dirt pedals in X-Drive and I gotta say, they're nice DSP for sure. I've been considering one of the physical X-Gear time based effects pedals and this is a perk from that direction to get them in the software.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

What are y'all favourite free/cheap amp sims/bundles? I'm trialling bias fx right now but I'm not super impressed to be honest. Everything sounds scratchy. So far my best sound has been running some free dirt pedal plugins straight into cabinet irs lol. I don't really want to spend more than fifty bucks or something. Looking for medium to high gain, mid heavy tones

Secondary question, is there a certain input level amp sims expect? I usually just set up my input so it doesn't clip when I bash the poo poo out of the strings?