Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Truga posted:

please don't spraypaint your pets

He means a skunk. Dogs can't leave them alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

TheMightyBoops posted:

I think it got brought up earlier, but why are they making dubs of all these old series and OVAs, they’re doing a dub for Gun Buster as well, I think it’s cool I can watch them while doing something else if I have a dub, but is there an audience that specifically needs a dub that’s worth the cost of making it?
oh my god i’m getting so mad at the mere suggestion of dubbing gunbuster

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

This thread is still sleeping on the new Baki, which is full of some extremely metaphorical anti-Americanism.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
i'm usually very tolerant of 'weird' art styles but i cant stand to look at baki

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i'm usually very tolerant of 'weird' art styles but i cant stand to look at baki

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'm gonna watch baki all in one go and grow into a huge muscular couch shaped monstrosity.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

TenementFunster posted:

oh my god i’m getting so mad at the mere suggestion of dubbing gunbuster
Big sister!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pitch posted:

Big sister!

Ok, now I am mad too.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pitch posted:

Big sister!
gently caress that’s EXACTLY what was pissing me off

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This thread is still sleeping on the new Baki, which is full of some extremely metaphorical anti-Americanism.

That last shot from the final fight is drat good. Baki seems made for anime pacing too cause eps go down smoother than most shounens

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
oh my god if they do an english version of Fly High, i’m gonna do the biggest non-actionable parody that minecraft has ever seen, for legal purposes

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like getting mad at the idea of a dub makes you the bad kind of anime fan

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

TheMightyBoops posted:

I think it got brought up earlier, but why are they making dubs of all these old series and OVAs, they’re doing a dub for Gun Buster as well, I think it’s cool I can watch them while doing something else if I have a dub, but is there an audience that specifically needs a dub that’s worth the cost of making it?

I bet it's because having a dub makes the shows much more attractive to Netflix.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KomradeX posted:

I feel like getting mad at the idea of a dub makes you the bad kind of anime fan
i guess if “the bad kind of anime fan” means “enjoying one of the best vocal performances ever in the medium” versus “just sitting through whatever a kickstarter project puts out so i don’t have to read.”

Noriko Hidaka absolutely rips. it wouldn’t be half the show if it wasn’t for her slaughtering every line and [inarticulate screaming]. Norio Wakamoto chewing the scenery and Rei Sakuma as Kazumi are also fantastic

tl;dr subs not dubs, The Lost Otaku will never die

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

tl;dr subs not dubs, The Lost Otaku will never die

It's not 2003 anymore we can move past this

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KomradeX posted:

It's not 2003 anymore we can move past this
move past what? Gunbuster’s vocal performance is one of the best in the medium, and virtually every dub is an awful kluge. why would you want to watch a classic any other way?

you’re sounding kinda like a Language Anarchist, ngl

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
before anyone asks, the only good dub is Angel Cop

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

move past what? Gunbuster’s vocal performance is one of the best in the medium, and virtually every dub is an awful kluge. why would you want to watch a classic any other way?

you’re sounding kinda like a Language Anarchist, ngl

We can disagree civilly, no need to compare me to something as childish as an anarchist

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
subs suck, dubs suck, just learn the language already, how hard can it be

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Amanda Win Lee et al NGE dub is good.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KomradeX posted:

We can disagree civilly, no need to compare me to something as childish as an anarchist
i hate to do this to you, but Noriko Hidaka is Rosa Luxemburg and Tiffany Grant is Emma Goldman.

Southpaugh posted:

Amanda Win Lee et al NGE dub is good.
she’s very good as Rally in Gunsmith Cats, but I’d never choose anyone over Megumi Hayashibara (pbuh).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i ended up really liking it, its pretty idiosyncratic but the guy can draw some great impact and motion which is all im really after

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Big O has a better dub than sub.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TenementFunster posted:

Megumi Hayashibara

best voice in the universe

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i'll say it again: Netflix is cowards for not casting my girl Maaya Sakamoto to do the english voice of Mari, too. it worked wonderfully for Mari Iijima and it would have worked in eva too!

Truga posted:

best voice in the universe
(lost) universe

e: poo poo that reminds me i got her book in last month and i haven't started it yet!!

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 01:02 on Oct 6, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I'm a dubs or subs moderate, the real enemy is people who release manga-likes read left to right

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I wish they’d put the original dub of Eva on Netflix because I’m sick of having to dig out a :filez: ‘d copy every time I want to watch it.

Like I said though I prefer a dub because I can do other stuff and watch stuff passively.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

TheMightyBoops posted:

Like I said though I prefer a dub because I can do other stuff and watch stuff passively.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY2xBNWrBZ4

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
biggest problem with dubs is that there's a limited number of dub voice actors compared to the original actors so you end up hearing christopher sabat and johnny yong bosch in everything

otherwise who gives a poo poo imo

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
New season of Scissor 7 just dropped alongside Baki, and it is also cool and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X8VwQqjTtQ

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't have a particular bias against dubs beyond most American productions sounding like caca poopoo, but TenementFunster is going hard in an almost pre-9/11 way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Casey Finnigan posted:

biggest problem with dubs is that there's a limited number of dub voice actors compared to the original actors so you end up hearing christopher sabat and johnny yong bosch in everything
This is a side effect of the fact that being a dub voice actor in America pays like poo poo and is a less prestigious acting job than local community theater, so the industry rests on a handful of people who have been punching a timeclock doing this for 20 years and a pool of essentially enthusiastic amateurs with a high churn rate.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Casey Finnigan posted:

otherwise who gives a poo poo imo
and, you know, vic mignogna

also i give a poo poo because i'm an Anime Enthusiast!

the Gundam Wing dub isn't bad, based largely on the strength of Campbell Lane's narration. General Septum is at least distinct!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’m not entirely opposed to dubbing per se but the specific context of the English dub industry usually makes them bad, and almost always inferior to subs. Sure maybe dubs would be good if they had more than five actors, serviceable dialogue, and actual directing, but they don’t. So there’s like a dozen dubs I actually like tops.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I generally prefer subbed anime but dubbed games. I dunno where that puts me on the weeb wars scale.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
cormartie's dub is amazing but i seen enough anime where even regular japanese VAs sound like theyre phoning it in at times

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Ibblebibble posted:

I generally prefer subbed anime but dubbed games. I dunno where that puts me on the weeb wars scale.

Anime gulag, report with toast in your mouth at 0900

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

galagazombie posted:

I’m not entirely opposed to dubbing per se but the specific context of the English dub industry usually makes them bad, and almost always inferior to subs. Sure maybe dubs would be good if they had more than five actors, serviceable dialogue, and actual directing, but they don’t. So there’s like a dozen dubs I actually like tops.

Disney couldn't even do a good dub for their own anime anthology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Pitch posted:

This is a side effect of the fact that being a dub voice actor in America pays like poo poo and is a less prestigious acting job than local community theater, so the industry rests on a handful of people who have been punching a timeclock doing this for 20 years and a pool of essentially enthusiastic amateurs with a high churn rate.

Those are definitely true on the JP side as well. Extremely strong up-or-out pressure and limited agency in one's own fortunes due to a fixed pay scale based entirely on days worked x years of seniority, which is also one of the notable pressures (though not the primary one) producing the stereotypical "every-anime-is-about-teens" situation. An entire industry of for-profit training into minimum-wage-or-worse jobs (this also applies to most other trades that come together to make anime) offered on the logic that, while still extremely demeaning, at least it's not as demeaning for a downwardly-mobile failchild or failure-to-move-upward once-promising burnout as flipping burgers, even if it's not the good industrial or industry-adjacent professional jobs that are never coming back.

Works better in Japan for three reasons:
- Scale at least bridges some people to clock-punching; more and more roles will be unwilling to consider you when they could get a fresh actor for pennies, but you'll at least be able to ride the gravy train as long as you want if you're lucky enough to land a long term recurring role, and will never face the security wage trap of "sure we'll keep you and you won't have to swap careers, as long as you keep working for entry level pay".
- Industry center is Tokyo, where there are a lot more enthusiastic amateurs to choose from, a lot more job options for enthusiastic amateurs who want to try but also want an escape plan, and much more significant crossflow to (for the unlucky or-outs) and from (providing a more-practiced-than-could-be-expected 'amateur' pool) adjacent industries like pop music, musical theater, or announcer/MC than there are in central Texas.
- Dubbing best practices and style conventions having been developed and normalized over a solid century of regularly adapting prestige media, rather than 30 years or so of being so much as "what's mostly a non-chain video rental shop can afford to give a couple people 20 hours a week to do this for its side business".

US side has gotten far, far better recently, riding heavily on being able to share a work (or worker, depending on your perspective) pool with games that are now big money and want to do their recording in a more happening area. It will still, though, for the purposes of things like Gunbuster, fall prey to the eternal problem of all drama--"sure, you saw it, but did you see so-and-so starring in so-and-so's production?"--that we have records of dating back to the ancient Greeks; even an unquestionably better dub is still a fundamentally different work in particular aspects.