Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

nordichammer posted:

My issue with Castles of Burgundy are basically that shipping is tacked on and that it could easily be explained except the 20 different tech tokens that throw players for a loop. The dice and tile placement are nice.

This is why you add in the 8th Expansion – Trade Routes, which actually gives you a reason to ship things, besides "eh, got nothing better to spend my die on this turn".

There's also some really nice player aids on BGG that explain what the brown and yellow tiles do and make the game so much smoother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Spirit Island is fun and good

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've always had a really fun time with Castles of Burgundy: it does a great job of mixing dice chucking with worker placement, in a way where you never really feel like you got completely screwed by your rolls. There's always something to do, and the modifier chips can save a really bad roll.

I get people not liking the aesthetic and production values though, they're pretty abysmal.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Frida Call Me posted:

One of my favorites is to use Irresistible Call to drag a bunch of invaders into a single space, then nuking that space with, say, a maxed out Wildfire innate (destroy all invaders in a space).

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

SettingSun posted:

One of my favorites is to use Irresistible Call to drag a bunch of invaders into a single space, then nuking that space with, say, a maxed out Wildfire innate (destroy all invaders in a space).

Had my buddy playing river so they were just stuffing explorers into that mountain all game with pushes and gathers. The co-op potential and scaling difficulty keeps this game very fresh.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I haven't managed it yet, but someday I want to use Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares to phantom dunk a quarter of the island into the ocean

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
My problem with Castles of Burgundy is that they never should have translated the name from "Die Burgen von Burgund".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Poopy Palpy posted:

My problem with Castles of Burgundy is that they never should have translated the name from "Die Burgen von Burgund".

Oh my wife and I call it "The Burgers of Burgers", no question.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Poopy Palpy posted:

Definitely the biggest problem with the game, agreed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Frida Call Me posted:

funniest thing about this picture is the way the app stacks the explorers :psyduck:

Context
Sep 11, 2006
Spirit Island is easily one of my favorite games, easily top 5, maybe top 3. It's the kind of game I feel like I could play forever - and my group has never touched half of the adversaries or any of the special scenarios. The only wrinkle is, we only ever win with a Terror Level 3 victory (destroy all cities). Is this normal? Are there any adversaries that would force us to go for a Level 2 or full-fear victory?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

choice of spirit can influence how you win as much as scenario/adversary. fear heavy ones can run the deck with huge fear dumps, aggressive ones can win in level 2, etc.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

silvergoose posted:

I'm still perfectly okay playing CoB, but I'm also perfectly okay playing all sorts of random euros.

I’m very happy to try any random game once, subsequent plays vary. However I have not been able to conquer my habit of pointing out all the bad game design bits to people with their brand new all-in pledge kickstarters once discussion about the game starts.

I did get a timer recently, I’m hoping that giving myself a time handicap will give some games more spice for me.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Spirit Island is far and away my favorite and most played game. I could probably play it forever and still find fresh challenges in it.

And yeah, which spirits are in play and who your adversary is will greatly determine the viability of some victories. I default to fear victories quite a bit actually because sometimes it's just hard to keep the invaders down, but beating them down keeps generating fear so I know most of the time I can beat the clock at least that way.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

funniest thing about this picture is the way the app stacks the explorers :psyduck:

You can place them however you like on the TTS mod, it just gets a little crowded when you have 20 things on a single tiny piece of terrain. I enjoyed stacking them all up by hand, then dragging the stack by the bottom one into the ocean and watching them slowly drown into the surface of the board!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Context posted:

Spirit Island is easily one of my favorite games, easily top 5, maybe top 3. It's the kind of game I feel like I could play forever - and my group has never touched half of the adversaries or any of the special scenarios. The only wrinkle is, we only ever win with a Terror Level 3 victory (destroy all cities). Is this normal? Are there any adversaries that would force us to go for a Level 2 or full-fear victory?

I think Terror Level 3 is overall the "default" ending experience, as it's pretty common to hit Terror Level 3 at the height of your power, at which point it's super easy to pinpoint what cities you need to take down in order to win. I've definitely gotten some cheeky Level 2 victories though, usually when we're playing a bunch of early game spirits and can get control of the game board lightning quick.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Context posted:

small games with wildfire in them I've seen terror level 1 vics. rare but it happens. As stated above, fear spirit heavy games will more frequently win by running the deck.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Frida Call Me posted:

You can place them however you like on the TTS mod, it just gets a little crowded when you have 20 things on a single tiny piece of terrain. I enjoyed stacking them all up by hand, then dragging the stack by the bottom one into the ocean and watching them slowly drown into the surface of the board!

says a lot about the visual style of the official app that I confused TTS and it :v:

Context
Sep 11, 2006
Based on the responses above, I think it's likely because we always play with 4-5 and a random collection of spirits, so our spirit specializations are pretty evenly distributed. Cool, sounds like that's a new way to think about the game even in setup!

Context
Sep 11, 2006
Edit: double post somehow

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I really do love randomizing spirits and then seeing what sort of combos we can start to form. Like, if someone is playing Ocean, then suddenly push powers become incredibly valuable but someone will have to watch the interior. But if you're playing higher difficulties of Russia then Ocean almost becomes a liability you have to plan around. So much fun.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Arzaac posted:

I've always had a really fun time with Castles of Burgundy: it does a great job of mixing dice chucking with worker placement, in a way where you never really feel like you got completely screwed by your rolls. There's always something to do, and the modifier chips can save a really bad roll.

I get people not liking the aesthetic and production values though, they're pretty abysmal.
yeah this is pretty much where i land on it. it’s my favourite euro for 2 players probably.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Is Dice Throne the one where it's just Sagrada but you're making a character sheet and then nothing happens?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

El Fideo posted:

Is Dice Throne the one where it's just Sagrada but you're making a character sheet and then nothing happens?
No. It's asymmetric Battle Yahtzee, with rpg-style elements and cards to influence gameplay and dice. And with stunningly good production values.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

El Fideo posted:

Roll Player.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Ah got it. Still not for me I think. Just kinda burnt out on Disney.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

El Fideo posted:

As already mentioned it’s Roll Player and YES! I read all the hype and when I played it I was confused as to what the fuss was about.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

dwarf74 posted:

No. It's asymmetric Battle Yahtzee, with rpg-style elements and cards to influence gameplay and dice. And with stunningly good production values.

I have no real chance of playing Dice Throne regularly but I still want both of the battle chests.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

The funny thing is I really like Sagrada as a casual, multiplayer abstract. Roll Player just seemed to add more decisions without adding more interestingness.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I like Roll Player a bit more. Yeah, ultimately they're the same game, but I like having more stuff, even if it is the same stuff, and the bigger dice feel a lot nicer to use. Sagrada didn't hold my attention as much, I played a few times and was done with it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

While on CoB chat, Solar Sphere on KS is almost in its final 24 hours and is basically CoB But Space.
It does some fun stuff with how the dice operate as well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/drandagames/solar-sphere-harness-the-power-of-the-stars

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

While on CoB chat, Solar Sphere on KS is almost in its final 24 hours and is basically CoB But Space.
It does some fun stuff with how the dice operate as well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/drandagames/solar-sphere-harness-the-power-of-the-stars

Me from a few years ago might have backed this but today I just see a visually cluttered generic sci-fi looking game that would maybe get a single play if I'm lucky before joining the ranks of its brothers on the Shelves of Shame. Or maybe I'm just depressed, who knows.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I felt the same way about Sagrada. Played two or three times then it went on the sell pile, didn't hold my attention. Some games, you play and quickly feel like you've seen all there is to see.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's more likely your collection has gotten 'well rounded' and you've got very little room in it for games that really don't catch your eye.

Which is why I wanted CoB in mine, but I wouldn't be racing out to get anything else similar (aka Solar Sphere)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

silvergoose posted:

Oh my wife and I call it "The Burgers of Burgers", no question.

When my wife says she wants to play Castles I always need to doublecheck whether she means Burgundy of Mad King Ludwig.

e: another point in favour of Castles of Burgundy is that the game is entirely text-free and came with manuals in three languages so you can basically buy it wherever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kickstarter games are quickly approaching the mobile game level of forgettable generic sameness. Even the big name stuff, maybe especially the big name stuff.

We need more weird stuff.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

grate deceiver posted:

I like Roll Player a bit more. Yeah, ultimately they're the same game, but I like having more stuff, even if it is the same stuff, and the bigger dice feel a lot nicer to use. Sagrada didn't hold my attention as much, I played a few times and was done with it.

Yeah, the dice in Sagrada are small, but they're pretty! The different window layouts, objective cards and tools make each game a *little* different, which is why I prefer it to Azul. It's a fun lunchtime game.

I picked up Roll Player based on the strength of Cartographers and hearing that Roll Player Adventures was coming soon. I think we've played it twice. It may just come down to the theme: building a stained glass window or a tile fresco seems more satisfying than building a D&D character sheet. Different strokes for different folks.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I really really like Beast
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/327718895/beast-4

Please check it out if you like Fury of Dracula. Gameplay looks dope and the aesthetic is 10/10

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

YES! weird stuff is very much my jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'll use this opportunity to repost this list on BGG: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/277582/not-anything-else-curmudgeons-collection

(List of games that are not quite like anything else)