Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Do you need the poe++? Mikrotik has a 24 port poe+ switch with four 10gb sfp+ ports for the same price as that cheaper unifi. And with four 10gb ports you can actually get a few things connected before needing to add another switch. https://mikrotik.com/product/crs328_24p_4s_rm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Is there anything that's positioned between Unifi and Meraki for single-pane-of-glass network infrastructure and management? I'm disappointed with the direction Ubiquiti seems to be going with Unifi and I'm considering switching platforms, but Meraki has the Cisco tax and is way too pricey for even a complex home/lab setup.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Several thread posters have mentioned TP-Link Omada, which looks to be very much like ubiquity

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Several thread posters have mentioned TP-Link Omada, which looks to be very much like ubiquity

Their product line seems rather sparse at the moment, but it's worth keeping an eye on to see how it matures. Thanks!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

What is the general consensus on the Wifi6 Orbi products? We are looking to update from really old Unifi stuff and I really think I want just a decent plug and play mesh setup.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I’m personally a fan of eero’s mesh system. I went to them after previously running unifi and netgear because I wanted something that “just worked”. As long as you don’t need PPPoE the 6 or Pro 6 line are great. (They have been owned by Amazon for some time now but there appears to be no privacy impact so far.)

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

Is there anything that's positioned between Unifi and Meraki for single-pane-of-glass network infrastructure and management? I'm disappointed with the direction Ubiquiti seems to be going with Unifi and I'm considering switching platforms, but Meraki has the Cisco tax and is way too pricey for even a complex home/lab setup.

While we're on the subject, what exactly happened with Ubiquiti? I got one of their EdgeRouter X's and a wireless AP a couple years ago when that was one of the top recommendations. Now I'm browsing Amazon for their products and none of them seem to be on sale at all, or whatever products are available are starting at like $200 and up. What sort of direction are they going in, exactly?

Side note - those have been absolutely rock-solid since I set them up. I haven't had to change any configs in years.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What's the skinny on 2.5Gbit for the home? I'm most likely switching ISPs, as the current one has exhausted my patience. One offering is 2500/2500 but I have zero equipment that supports that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

KKKLIP ART posted:

What is the general consensus on the Wifi6 Orbi products? We are looking to update from really old Unifi stuff and I really think I want just a decent plug and play mesh setup.

I like it. Had Orbi in the past, bought the new stuff and it works well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

bolind posted:

What's the skinny on 2.5Gbit for the home? I'm most likely switching ISPs, as the current one has exhausted my patience. One offering is 2500/2500 but I have zero equipment that supports that.

Here's my hot take on this. It's unnecessary and a waste of money. I had fiber Gigabit at my old house, and like 3 websites/services that I used could actually max out my connection. It was great for downloading Xbox One or PS4 games, and hitting the newsgroup servers, but other than that, not many providers can actually get a solid gigabit to you. How often are you downloading something large enough that you realistically need the extra capacity for?

The small regional fiber ISP I have at my current home wants 150 a month for gigabit, and so I went with the 500mbit service for half that price and told myself if it was a huge deal I'd just upgrade. In 3 years I've never once needed more bandwidth, and I have a ton of devices in the house. 500 mbit is plenty for me, and that includes multiple 4K streams, a couple kids online gaming, a plex server, and everything else going on in my house. Xbox games take a little longer to download, but nothing that I've really noticed or been like, drat I really need to spend an extra 70 bucks a month to save this 5 minutes on this 40GB download.

Personally I think 400mbit is the cutoff. I spent a few months in an apartment that could only get cable internet while my house was being built and had 400mbit down/20 up cable internet and once again I didn't even notice. The upload sucked coming from symmetrical gigabit, but I felt 400mbit was a good amount of download speed. 200mbit I would have noticed, but 400mbit was plenty of capacity for day to day stuff. Yeah the large files like xbox games took a little longer, but it wasn't a huge deal.

It's your money, and if you want to have the fastest service on the block go ahead, but you won't notice a difference in your day to day internet experience. The problem is the internet is a series of bottlenecks. Your offramp can be 2500mbit, but doesn't do any good if you're headed to slower and more congested upstream links.

I'll be honest though, if my ISP only charged another 20 bucks to go from 500 to gig, I'd totally do it just to have it. I'm not going to pay 70 more though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You managed to get a gigabit off of the PSN? How many goat sacrifices did that require? I've got a gigabit and it took like 18 hours to download Horizon.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Azhais posted:

You managed to get a gigabit off of the PSN? How many goat sacrifices did that require? I've got a gigabit and it took like 18 hours to download Horizon.

I usually average 450ish off PSN but I've hit 850+ a couple times. It really adds to the convenience of digital copies that's for sure.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

bolind posted:

To put this in perspective:

- 4K streams off Netflix/Hulu/HBO/etc are generally <45mbps, and it’s not consistent since they’ll buffer
- Zoom/Teams calls use <10mbps most of the time
- steam/Blizzard/Xbox/etc can usually max out your speed unless your ISP has trash negotiated peering

All that is to say unless you are running a Cam Model shop, you are probably fine at gigabit or less. The more important piece is a well performing router and low latency. Those will be a lot more impactful to your experience on day to day.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

KKKLIP ART posted:

Had my Orbi setup for 3 months now. It’s rock solid.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Wondering if anyone can help me figure out why I can't forward ports on my Edgerouter X. I'm pretty dumb about networking but I thought I at least knew how to do that.

I'm trying to get Wireguard (running on Unraid) to work on my iphone. I got it working very easily like a year ago, but turned it off cuz I wasn't using it. I haven't changed much (anything? ... maybe I added a switch, also NextDNS) but now it refuses to handshake with iOS Wireguard (ios 15). I am rescanning the WG QR code into the iphone app every time I gently caress with the server settings. I've tried it by manually entering my current IP and also with my normal DuckDNS setup (which seems to update the IP fine) but neither one fixes it. Also tried giving the WG peer 8.8.8.8 and also 192.168.1.1 for DNS. No dice.

My setup: ER-X connects to fiber internet on eth0, a switch with Unraid plugged in is on eth1 and a Ubiquiti AP is on eth4 with PoE. The only weird thing I can think of is that the ER-X is running NextDNS, set up by the auto script.

I use the GUI in the ER-X to set 51820 (default WG port) to my Unraid internal IP (doublechecked) on UDP. I've tried setting the LAN to switch0 but I don't think that is right for my setup. Anyway neither eth1 nor switch0 work.

When I use Shields Up I get "stealth" or with yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ I get "closed" for port 51820. (I've tried all this with at least one other random port, too.)

I even tried un-checking the auto-firewall option and manually setting up this rule in Firewall Policies:

But it doesn't make any difference. I don't see any bytes/packets when I tick "show rules stats" in the ER-X or in the Wireguard section on Unraid. Ever. No handshakes shown in Unraid. In the iOS Wireguard app, I just see an endless amount of "Handshake did not complete after 5 seconds" entries.

el_caballo fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 4, 2021

smax
Nov 9, 2009

el_caballo posted:

Wondering if anyone can help me figure out why I can't forward ports on my Edgerouter X. I'm pretty dumb about networking but I thought I at least knew how to do that.

I'm trying to get Wireguard (running on Unraid) to work on my iphone. I got it working very easily like a year ago, but turned it off cuz I wasn't using it. I haven't changed much (anything? ... maybe I added a switch, also NextDNS) but now it refuses to handshake with iOS Wireguard (ios 15). I am rescanning the WG QR code into the iphone app every time I gently caress with the server settings. I've tried it by manually entering my current IP and also with my normal DuckDNS setup (which seems to update the IP fine) but neither one fixes it. Also tried giving the WG peer 8.8.8.8 and also 192.168.1.1 for DNS. No dice.

My setup: ER-X connects to fiber internet on eth0, a switch with Unraid plugged in is on eth1 and a Ubiquiti AP is on eth4 with PoE. The only weird thing I can think of is that the ER-X is running NextDNS, set up by the auto script.

I use the GUI in the ER-X to set 51820 (default WG port) to my Unraid internal IP (doublechecked) on UDP. I've tried setting the WAN to switch0 but I don't think that is right for my setup. Anyway neither eth1 nor switch0 work.

When I use Shields Up I get "stealth" or with yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ I get "closed" for port 51820. (I've tried all this with at least one other random port, too.)

I even tried un-checking the auto-firewall option and manually setting up this rule in Firewall Policies:

But it doesn't make any difference. I don't see any bytes/packets when I tick "show rules stats" in the ER-X or in the Wireguard section on Unraid. Ever. No handshakes shown in Unraid. In the iOS Wireguard app, I just see an endless amount of "Handshake did not complete after 5 seconds" entries.

Do you have a single internal LAN? If so, your LAN interface is misconfigured, it should be switch0.

Edit: EFF. Missed that sentence in your post. Reading comprehension -1

Edit 2: Re-read it again, you said you tried WAN as switch0. Wan should be eth0, LAN should be switch0.

smax fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 4, 2021

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Yeah I believe I had it set up for switch0 LAN back before I needed to upgrade to a switch. That may have also been the last time Wireguard was working but I can't remember.

I just reset my network settings on my phone just in case that was it, and it didn't seem to do anything. Although it did fix my hotspot not working.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I re-edited my post above, just missed you.

WAN should be eth0, LAN should be switch0. Not sure if it was a typo in your post or if you’d set WAN to switch0.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001

smax posted:

Edit 2: Re-read it again, you said you tried WAN as switch0. Wan should be eth0, LAN should be switch0.

Yeah that was a typo. I do know switch0 it needs to be on the LAN.

Edit: LAN was set to eth1 since the last time I reset the ER-X for some reason, probably because NextDNS was acting up and I decided to nuke it and start over. I only changed LAN to switch0 because I read that other people were fixing port forwarding problems with that and I knew I had it on switch0 in the past.

But yeah as far as I know now that I'm relying on a separate external switch, LAN should be eth1, but like I said, I'm not good at network poo poo.

I had a Deluge docker working fine with port forwarding in the past, just with the basic settings and auto-firewall but haven't needed it for like a year. No idea what changed since then.

el_caballo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 4, 2021

smax
Nov 9, 2009

When I get home I’ll take a look at the port forwarding/ firewall rules on my parents’ Edgerouter. I know I’ve set it up on their router for some services.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Thanks, appreciate it. I've watched all the youtubes on forwarding on ER-X and I seem to have everything set up fine. There was even one that walked through setting up a firewall policy afterwards manually, instead of auto-firewall, and that's what I used.

Shields Up still can't get anything but "stealth" on 51820 no matter what I try.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

el_caballo posted:

But yeah as far as I know now that I'm relying on a separate external switch, LAN should be eth1, but like I said, I'm not good at network poo poo.

The one thing I’m sure of without looking at my known good config is that LAN should be switch0, not eth1. The only case it’d be eth1 is if you removed it from the switch and that port had its own IP range set to it.

Edit: keep getting eth0/1 swapped. My brain is gone.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001

smax posted:

The one thing I’m sure of without looking at my known good config is that LAN should be switch0, not eth1. The only case it’d be eth1 is if you removed it from the switch and that port had its own IP range set to it.

Edit: keep getting eth0/1 swapped. My brain is gone.

So I changed LAN interface to switch0 and this time I rebooted the whole thing. Still no WG handshake and no open port on Shields Up.

I'm not sure if there's another location where LAN needs to be set.

Here's my ER-X dashboard, it seems like all my poo poo changed to switch0.

This jogged my memory that my fiber internet required me setting up PPPoE poo poo. I just followed some guide online like a monkey, so I didn't really think about it. I wonder if the WAN needs to be set to eth0.201?

EDIT2: GODDAMN FUCKIN rear end poo poo. That was it. It actually needed to be PPPoE. I completely forgot about this PPPoE poo poo because I never understood it in the first place. And I never would have remembered if I hadn't changed LAN to switch0 and actually stopped to look at the dash.

OK, now I'm gonna undo all the weird testing poo poo I did and get duckdns back up.

EDIT3: That was it. All thanks to smax who forced me to grapple with my own idiocy and also to me who defeated the idiot. Who do you think you are? I am!

el_caballo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 5, 2021

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Haha, just loaded up the thread and as soon as I saw the PPPOE interface I knew that was it. Glad you got it sorted!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

KKKLIP ART posted:

I've set up several Netgear Orbi meshes for friends / relatives and they're a snap to install, so long as you have an iOS/Android phone to help set them up.

On one setup they bought a base station and two repeaters, but it worked so well they ended up needing only one repeater for a two story house, the repeater was at the top of the stairs and the base was at the other end.

Be advised that the smartphone app will require you to create a NetGear account before you can use it to admin anything. The app will also report if anyone tries to intrude onto your WiFi, kinda neat..

If you are on Optimum, it's highly recommended you take advantage of their "Bring Your Own Router" feature; a call to their Tech Support line and they throw a switch somewhere and wah-lahh, you can hook up the Orbi.. what's nice about that is that even their combo routers have Ethernet ports set up for just this purpose..

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is it normal for Steam downloads to show a speed which exceeds your ISP rated speed by a significant amount? I'm used to it being somewhat slower than my rated speed, but last night it shot up to like 150mbps faster than my rated speed and averaged about 100mbps faster. Speedtests usually show me hovering around 50mbps higher than my rated speed now, but this was significantly higher.

I assume this might be favorable routing on a peer connection? It was nice to see but weird and not in line with my usual experience. It did make short work of a 4GB download.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

Here's my hot take on this. It's unnecessary and a waste of money. I had fiber Gigabit at my old house, and like 3 websites/services that I used could actually max out my connection. It was great for downloading Xbox One or PS4 games, and hitting the newsgroup servers, but other than that, not many providers can actually get a solid gigabit to you. How often are you downloading something large enough that you realistically need the extra capacity for?

The small regional fiber ISP I have at my current home wants 150 a month for gigabit, and so I went with the 500mbit service for half that price and told myself if it was a huge deal I'd just upgrade. In 3 years I've never once needed more bandwidth, and I have a ton of devices in the house. 500 mbit is plenty for me, and that includes multiple 4K streams, a couple kids online gaming, a plex server, and everything else going on in my house. Xbox games take a little longer to download, but nothing that I've really noticed or been like, drat I really need to spend an extra 70 bucks a month to save this 5 minutes on this 40GB download.

Personally I think 400mbit is the cutoff. I spent a few months in an apartment that could only get cable internet while my house was being built and had 400mbit down/20 up cable internet and once again I didn't even notice. The upload sucked coming from symmetrical gigabit, but I felt 400mbit was a good amount of download speed. 200mbit I would have noticed, but 400mbit was plenty of capacity for day to day stuff. Yeah the large files like xbox games took a little longer, but it wasn't a huge deal.

It's your money, and if you want to have the fastest service on the block go ahead, but you won't notice a difference in your day to day internet experience. The problem is the internet is a series of bottlenecks. Your offramp can be 2500mbit, but doesn't do any good if you're headed to slower and more congested upstream links.

I'll be honest though, if my ISP only charged another 20 bucks to go from 500 to gig, I'd totally do it just to have it. I'm not going to pay 70 more though.

rufius posted:

To put this in perspective:

- 4K streams off Netflix/Hulu/HBO/etc are generally <45mbps, and it’s not consistent since they’ll buffer
- Zoom/Teams calls use <10mbps most of the time
- steam/Blizzard/Xbox/etc can usually max out your speed unless your ISP has trash negotiated peering

All that is to say unless you are running a Cam Model shop, you are probably fine at gigabit or less. The more important piece is a well performing router and low latency. Those will be a lot more impactful to your experience on day to day.

Thanks for the inputs. I should've probably explained a bit:

• Work pays, so money ain't no thang (within reason)
  • Connection has to support a toddler streaming Peppa Pig and two adults who WFH
  • What I VPN into is limited to 200 mbit :laffo:
  • Once you have FTTH here, offerings are not bad. I pay the equivalent of USD31/month for symmetrical gigabit (too bad there are many outages as the ISP does not prioritise stability.
  • The 2500/2500 runs like 95 bucks a month.
  • You can actually subtract 20% from these prices as my company can deduct the VAT.

That being said, what you are all saying is very true, we very rarely utilize even the full gigabit we have now, and, yes, then your macOS update arrives in 7 minutes instead of 4. Big whoop.

I'll look into getting a more stable connection, and not focusing so much on the speed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FWIW I was doing fine on 200mbps down with two people doing simultaneous WFH Zoom calls, but I upgraded and do find 400mbps to be better and more stable and only costs me about $10 more a month, if that. And the faster download speeds are nice - it would be a little grating to give that up now.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is it normal for Steam downloads to show a speed which exceeds your ISP rated speed by a significant amount? I'm used to it being somewhat slower than my rated speed, but last night it shot up to like 150mbps faster than my rated speed and averaged about 100mbps faster. Speedtests usually show me hovering around 50mbps higher than my rated speed now, but this was significantly higher.

I assume this might be favorable routing on a peer connection? It was nice to see but weird and not in line with my usual experience. It did make short work of a 4GB download.

I've read that some ISPs host data heavy things like the (partial?) Steam library on their own premises, so you're probably right.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Icept posted:

I've read that some ISPs host data heavy things like the (partial?) Steam library on their own premises, so you're probably right.

Netflix used to have a program where they did just that.. They would provide hardware to large ISPs to put on their own network that effectively acted like a cache for Netflix subscribers on the ISP's network.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Caveat: never worked at an ISP so treat what follows as conjecture. This is just what a network engineer friend explained to my dumb programmer brain.

Generally, speed caps as I understand them are not “hard”. It’s more of a Quality of Service thing where when the backbone in your area is loaded, you get at most your allotment. But if there’s low utilization, you might see your connection go above your paid allotment.

I haven’t seen this myself in years because I’m on gigabit and my router is rated at gigabit. So I generally see it top out around 940mbps.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

Replying to myself just to maintain a thread. Still awaiting the Lite 6s and will update with test results once I have them.

Update, received and replaced the Google Wifis with a pair of Unifi AP AC Lite 6s.

My hope was to stick both of these into the free 5ghz channels not being used by my neighbors all on Google Wifi themselves. Unfortunately I'm stuck using at least one of the "standard" 5ghz 80mhz channel sets since some of my devices (ROKU!) refuse to find or connect to the free and clear DFS channels.

So I've got one up in the DFS area and the other on the clear-est set of channels in the standard range I could find. This house is a box, so both APs are basically on top of each other, 1 floor apart.

Overall I'm seeing 5-15% better performance at peak from my devices, about what you would expect from a little less crowding in the spectrum. I also now have theoretically double the wireless bandwidth since more my devices are basically split between sets of channels instead of sharing one block, but I don't know how often that improvement will be noticeable.

Overall, I don't think I gained much in terms of actual usability and don't think I would recommend the switch to someone who wasn't having any real issues with their Google Wifis. I'll probably end up keeping them setup though, as I do like the admin console visibility and I do get a small performance bump from the whole setup.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

stevewm posted:

Netflix used to have a program where they did just that.. They would provide hardware to large ISPs to put on their own network that effectively acted like a cache for Netflix subscribers on the ISP's network.

They still run openconnect. It hasn't went anywhere that I'm aware of.

I managed the development of the similar type of platform for Twitch but it got canned early on in the fact that since our content is live, not VOD, it provided little to no benefit to fan out video content at the edge unless it was a massively popular single stream, and the numbers just didn't add up vs. traditional interconnection.

But, for a VOD type content library where there's static data it makes a ton of sense.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

el_caballo posted:

EDIT2: GODDAMN FUCKIN rear end poo poo. That was it. It actually needed to be PPPoE. I completely forgot about this PPPoE poo poo because I never understood it in the first place. And I never would have remembered if I hadn't changed LAN to switch0 and actually stopped to look at the dash.

OK, now I'm gonna undo all the weird testing poo poo I did and get duckdns back up.

EDIT3: That was it. All thanks to smax who forced me to grapple with my own idiocy and also to me who defeated the idiot. Who do you think you are? I am!

CenturyLink?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

FunOne posted:

The Home Networking Megathread - Overall, I don't think I gained much in terms of actual usability

Story of all my home networking adventures.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

KS posted:

Story of all my home networking adventures.

Clearly, its time to look at moving to 2.5/4/10g at the core switch.

You know, for reasons.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

el_caballo posted:

:words:

Re: The Home Networking Megathread: EDIT2: GODDAMN FUCKIN rear end poo poo.

Edit: copy pasta

rufius fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 5, 2021

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've been running Unifi for years now and have been generally happy with it. Older EdgerouterX in the basement splits out to 3 wired AP's and 1 AP in my yard shed on mesh. Currently running 3 VLANs, one extra for work and one for IoT.

1) One of my TV's has line of sight with the shed 100 feet away, and keeps switching from the AP 10 feet away to the shed AP on mesh and suddenly streaming tanks before it gives up and switches back. Without getting a Unifi Security Gateway is there anyway to establish some sort of static route to prevent that? TV specific VLAN?

2) I've been on the starlink waiting list for a while now and it looks like I should get it by the end of the year. Do I run a line from my roof all the way to the existing EdgerouterX in the basement to utilize the two WAN setup with load balancing, and then back to the existing cable to the second floor? Or can I put one router in the attic and leave the one in the basement and use two WAN that way and let them talk over the network to load balance?

3) The house was built with Cat5 + phone lines from the basement to the 4 bedrooms. I've been milking a 1000' spool of Cat6 for my projects, as they're all kept in the basement local to a rack in the corner where all that was ran originally. When I do pull a few new cables next month I was seriously considering pulling 6 strands of OM4 to my attic crawlspace and another 6 strands out to my shed. I have a cleaver and have access to a terminating kit I can get from work. Am I being dumb and over-satisfying my future proofing urge if I do that?

4) Should I just upgrade the edgerouterX? I've been wanting to get local 10Gb between my storage and my workstation.

e; I live in the woods and the link to the shed is to support an eventual barn workshop.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 6, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

1) I don't think you'd need to go all the way to VLAN, but perhaps just a SSID that you don't broadcast on the shed AP?

2) Unless you have a VLAN-capable switch somewhere between where Starlink will be and your ERX, you'll need to run a dedicated line from Starlink to the ERX. If you do have a VLAN-capable switch, you could put the Starlink interface on its own VLAN and then enable tagging on the interface between the switch and the ERX, so that it treats one tag as LAN and the other tag as WAN2. Of course if your switch and ERX are in the same place, no reason to bother with this.

3) If you want to? It's overkill by any definition, for sure.

4) If you're only concerned about 10G local traffic, it's probably cheaper to get a switch with the needed 10G ports between your local devices instead of replacing the ERX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

DizzyBum posted:

While we're on the subject, what exactly happened with Ubiquiti? I got one of their EdgeRouter X's and a wireless AP a couple years ago when that was one of the top recommendations. Now I'm browsing Amazon for their products and none of them seem to be on sale at all, or whatever products are available are starting at like $200 and up. What sort of direction are they going in, exactly?

Side note - those have been absolutely rock-solid since I set them up. I haven't had to change any configs in years.

They're going in the "we want to cash in on our name recognition" direction. They stopped giving any fucks about QA and instead started focusing on making GBS threads out as many new products as possible at higher prices. These days, it's not uncommon for firmware to go from alpha to beta to "stable" in the span of a few hours while it's severely broken. I don't know whether they've totally hosed the EdgeRouter series yet like they have the Unifi series, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm currently in the process of replacing all my Unifi crap. I've settled on Ruckus for APs (I got some used R710s at a really good price and threw on their free Unleashed firmware), but I'm still going back and forth on what to do for my switches.

Edit:

stevewm posted:

CDNs are pretty common these days for companies that need to serve the same large files to people across the country/globe. If you've ever heard of Akamai, Edgecast, or Limelight, that's what those are for. Netflix just happens to run their own.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 6, 2021