Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’ve watched the series probably six or seven times over the years, including a recent rewatch with my spouse leading up to the release, and I have absolutely no desire to ever watch this movie again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sopranos is hilarious what ! Who doesn’t think the show is funny? I get the movie not being funny but the show had so many funny parts

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DetoxP posted:

The writing was terribly sloppy and the references were ham-fisted and entirely unnatural, man.

The scene that just kept digging its heels in was when
1. Baby Christopher cries near Tony.
Good, subtle, kind of a funny call-back/forward.
2. The mother states that Christopher is always crying around Tony
Okay, a little on the nose but said in passing.
3. Tony complains that Christopher is always crying around him.
Surely, THIS hammers it in, right? And then, of course:
4. An old lady decides to take the time to offer her belief that they say babies might know something... something from the other side...

Just... unbelievably ham-fisted stuff.

Having Christopher give VO from beyond the grave roves that old lady right

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Alan Taylor's recent filmography includes Terminator Genisys and one of the particularly mocked season 7 episodes of Game of Thrones. :whitewater: I think if I'd known that I'd have had lower expectations.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Sopranos. . .Prequel stories.. . .

How Johnny Sack got addicted to Nicotine

Whatever happened there...Whatever happened THERE? We'll tell you what happened THERE.

Alternative future where Big Pussy goes into witness protection and has fantasies about being an FBI agent

Meadow and Carmela do their yearly tea party but it's 2021 and they are talking poo poo about Tony for an hour

Give me money David Chase!!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's time for the story to be told, the story of Harpo Soprano

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The story of Tony Soprano and Tony Egg

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DetoxP posted:

The writing was terribly sloppy and the references were ham-fisted and entirely unnatural, man.

Just... unbelievably ham-fisted stuff.

Even the best works have moments that are just incredibly hanfisted. Better Call Saul is easily the best, and most thematically interesting of the TV dramas, but goddamn did I cringe in Marco when Marco started screaming about standpiping not being enough.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Meadow and Carmela do their yearly tea party but it's 2021 and they are talking poo poo about Tony for an hour

Give me money David Chase!!!

Tony is dead, but he had a massive coronary at Holstein's.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

[

Gaius Marius posted:

It's time for the story to be told, the story of Harpo Soprano

Sacre bleu! Mi mama was in my moozadell and my heart all along

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Proval was gonna be Tony. God, what a disaster averted…

If Proval is Tony it's not a disaster, just a very different energy. I think Tony is able to be more intimidating by looming, but never underestimate Manson lamps.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good Matt Zoller Seitz article https://www.vulture.com/2021/10/decoding-many-saints-of-newarks-parallels-with-the-sopranos.html

night slime
May 14, 2014

Matt Zerella posted:

Another thing to remember about Butchie is in that phone conversation with Phil where they're on Mulberry St and Phil is out on Long Island hiding away is Phil made a pretty obvious veiled threat that he's unhappy with Butchie's handling of everything and that "when this is over we are gonna have some words". Butchie is acting out of self preservation by brokering a peace deal with Tony at that point. "This poo poo's gone too far" or something like that is code for "Phil is gonna kill me or make my life a living hell and I don't want that".

I don't disagree with most of your post, but Butchie says "I hope so" when Phil says that about sitting down. I dunno if it was really a veiled threat, but I guess enough stuff is ambiguous in the show.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

lol, I don't think Christopher's the only unreliable narrator in this article:

"(In real life, Van Zandt suffered scalp damage in a car accident and lost his ability to grow a full head of hair.)"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Dawgstar posted:

If Proval is Tony it's not a disaster, just a very different energy. I think Tony is able to be more intimidating by looming, but never underestimate Manson lamps.

That's the thing I feel like Proval is too scary 24/7 to be believable playing Mario Kart with his son. But then again I only saw him play Richie, who's supposed to be perpetually creepy, so maybe he has a soft side as an actor that he would have shown if he played Tony.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I liked the book but Seitz is going to hurt himself reaching like that.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That's the thing I feel like Proval is too scary 24/7 to be believable playing Mario Kart with his son. But then again I only saw him play Richie, who's supposed to be perpetually creepy, so maybe he has a soft side as an actor that he would have shown if he played Tony.

Isn't this why the passed on Proval to begin with?

I should really continue with the Talking Sopranos podcast, maybe that gets confirmed/debunked in the Proval interview.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

night slime posted:

I don't disagree with most of your post, but Butchie says "I hope so" when Phil says that about sitting down. I dunno if it was really a veiled threat, but I guess enough stuff is ambiguous in the show.

The whole scene with Phil calling Butchie is a big metaphor: He's cold and lost, thinking he's somewhere he's been before, but it's Chinatown(Famous Little Italy that once covered over 40 square blocks . . .)

Phil has left him in the wind to a world he no longer recognizes, and he turns back. But you can't kill Butchie, cuz one eye's lookin this way, the other one's look that way, and he's like, whattaya want from me?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Peter Daou Zen posted:

The whole scene with Phil calling Butchie is a big metaphor: He's cold and lost, thinking he's somewhere he's been before, but it's Chinatown(Famous Little Italy that once covered over 40 square blocks . . .)

Phil has left him in the wind to a world he no longer recognizes, and he turns back. But you can't kill Butchie, cuz one eye's lookin this way, the other one's look that way, and he's like, whattaya want from me?

This also tracks with how the gangsters themselves perceive themselves vs. the reality. And the way media has shaped them. Some of Leotardo's scenes are shot specifically to evoke that kind of godfather feeling. And his plan is basically Micheal Corleone's. Strike quickly to eliminate all threats at once, and take over the rest. And then reality sets in two of the hits go awry they end up in a costly gang war. And Phil fucks off leaving them in the cold.

It's not a coincidence that the episode is called made in America. Both the circumstances of their birth, and the general gangster epic media milieu have created these characters. And with Chinatown overtaking little Italy we see how the lifestyle, and the genre have been overtaken.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

This was the biggest thing. All Butchie's talk about being a real man and how being a tough guy was so important etc all fell by the wayside when suddenly he's one of the two top guys left holding the bag while Phil is in hiding (and being belligerent or dismissive of Butchie when he DOES talk to him), the easy win they expected hasn't come, they know Tony is still out there and now they have no idea where, and their entire "army" aren't able to make money because they can't do their collections, have to watch their backs etc. Suddenly the war isn't fun or exciting or an opportunity, it's a giant liability and all anybody is concerned about is going back to the much easier (if still stressful) life of exploiting vulnerable people, and getting rid of Phil is the easiest way to do that.

The Mob are parasites whose only interest is in making the most money for the least effort possible, all the romantic bullshit (like Meadow's horrific justifications to Finn) about being soldiers and swearing oaths and having honor is set-dressing for the most important thing, money. Tony revealed this himself when he got all haughty with Melfi about his ancestors not wanting to be exploited by robber barons... then admitting,"And maybe we wanted a taste!" The problem they had with being exploited wasn't that they were being exploited, it's that THEY weren't the ones doing the exploiting.

Just quoting this because its a V Good writeup of what was actually happening behind the scenes.

One thing Chase is TOO murky about is the passage of time, a good example is Tony being in the hospital. It "feels" like it's temporary and just a few weeks, but really he was there 6 months.

So who knows how long the war between New York and New Jersey was going on, and toll it was taking "behind the scenes." A lot of things happened behind the scenes in the Sopranos, and we only have tiny tidbits of information to piece together something whole.

Gaius Marius posted:

This also tracks with how the gangsters themselves perceive themselves vs. the reality. And the way media has shaped them. Some of Leotardo's scenes are shot specifically to evoke that kind of godfather feeling. And his plan is basically Micheal Corleone's. Strike quickly to eliminate all threats at once, and take over the rest. And then reality sets in two of the hits go awry they end up in a costly gang war. And Phil fucks off leaving them in the cold.

It's not a coincidence that the episode is called made in America. Both the circumstances of their birth, and the general gangster epic media milieu have created these characters. And with Chinatown overtaking little Italy we see how the lifestyle, and the genre have been overtaken.

Patsy trying to shakedown a corporate giant, lamenting what happened to the Little Guy(That we just so happen to rip off constantly but va fa Napoli, fuckin' STARBUCKS!)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I liked the book but Seitz is going to hurt himself reaching like that.

I’m in a strange position of agreeing with every point in the article but also agreeing with almost every criticism of the film I’ve seen. It’s a very strange beast for me.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
It wasn't perfect by any means, but I enjoyed it. Surprised a lot of you didn't like it. Most everyone wishes this had been at least a mini-series rather than a movie, which to me says you want more and did in fact like it.

It kind of was the opposite of how the show began. Rather than a tv pilot filmed with lots of extra scenes to turn it into a movie in case the show didn't get picked up, this time they took a mini-series and chopped it into a 2 hour movie, because Chase didn't want to do another season of TV. Sil and Paulie were a bit over the top, but they kind of had to be with such condensed screen time.

I really liked the call-foreword of Tony waiting for Uncle Dickie at Holsten's. The bell on the door evoked a Pavlovian response of the same dread and tension within me calling back to the show's finale. Tony standing in the doorway, peering out waiting on someone who is already dead, when we know that death an ambiguous ending is coming for Tony through that same door some 25-30 years later.

Edit: I wasn't sure on some of the performances at first, but by the middle of the movie I thought Teenage Janice loving nailed it. As did Uncle June, Livia, Tony.

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 6, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That logic doesn’t make much sense wanting something to be fleshed out is a o pretty common complaint against stuff people don’t like

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That it was made wrong on purpose because david chase wasn't interested in doing it correctly isn't really much of a defense

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I thought they were going to have Tony be the one that killed or helped set up killing Dickey.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I did like it. I just would've liked it a lot more if it was well paced and more fleshed out.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I'm not saying those aren't valid criticisms or defending Chase for making it wrong on purpose. I agree that this would have been better in a longer form, fleshing it out more. But I liked it despite it's flaws, it was still an extra 2 hours of new Sopranos.

My point was that a lot of Goons in here are saying they didn't like it and that it was bad... but that they still want more, like an extra 3-8 episodes more. It's ok to admit you liked something and to also criticize it's flaws. When I don't like a 2 hour movie I don't wish I had 4-8 more hours of it I could watch of it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I didn't like it and I don't want more. I would have been just fine with never getting another minute of new Sopranos, especially if this is all they're capable of at this point.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s still a good movie, watch it and make ur own mind up

I guess. It just doesn't look that good, the reviews here and elsewhere give me a lot of pause and the specific criticisms of it seem exactly like the kind of things that would annoy me and that I'd dislike (overacting, being hit over the head, gratuitous fan service, a bloated plot). Meh. I might wander into it one day if I'm bored but I have so much unwatched poo poo in my various queue(s) and little free time so I just don't feel any sense of urgency.

Peter Daou Zen posted:

You should still watch it. I mean then you can join the rest of us on slagging on it!

It’s not garbage fire bad, it’s just , mediocre.

See that's even worse to me somehow. If it was a complete train wreck, I'd probably be more entertained than if it was just average. I like a lot of really bad movies.

Also, wtf is it with Chase and twin characters? I think I've maybe met 3 or 4 identical twins in my entire loving life and, counting this movie, that's 4 in the Sopranos continuity alone by my count. Does he just like the actor(s) that much that he writes all this other poo poo for them? I know he wrote Patsy in because he liked the performer but what's the point of 2 Ray Liottas?

Seems forced.

Fake edit: Also, casting Joey Diaz is brilliant. When I first ran across him I thought he was Vincent Pastore and that he'd decided to get into stand up and start a podcast. I was watching youtube on my phone and it was hard to tell the difference.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess my opinion is the amount of bad judgment shown in this project makes me very skeptical of any hypothetical alternative or future attempts to expand it. The point of all this ultimately seemed to be soothing david chase's enormous TV inferiority complex, I wish him luck with that

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 6, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m just baffled someone can’t see how something being undercooked can be bad while something that isn’t can be good

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The interesting thing is in interviews David Chase said he really wanted to make a movie - something that has the rhythm, beats and arc of a film, not a tv series. And yet, for the most part, it felt like an extended tv episode. Maybe its the hangover of the series. I dunno.

The abrupt flip from 1967 to the early 1970s didn't really feel right, that felt a bit artificial and clearly a holdout from when they initially wanted to do a film purely about the riots and then wanted to fit Tony's progression in as well.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

th3t00t posted:

I'm not saying those aren't valid criticisms or defending Chase for making it wrong on purpose. I agree that this would have been better in a longer form, fleshing it out more. But I liked it despite it's flaws, it was still an extra 2 hours of new Sopranos.

My point was that a lot of Goons in here are saying they didn't like it and that it was bad... but that they still want more, like an extra 3-8 episodes more. It's ok to admit you liked something and to also criticize it's flaws. When I don't like a 2 hour movie I don't wish I had 4-8 more hours of it I could watch of it.

It's not so much "the food was terrible, and such small portions!", rather "the food was dehydrated and compressed into a single bitesize block & also the sound mixing was bad."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wasn't expecting it to be exactly like the show, but I think I mentioned that within the first five minutes of the movie you get three things the show never did outside of the pilot: Narration, score, and cinematic filming. Also, they basically confirm that it's a spiritual world while in the series it was left ambiguous as most of the stuff could be explained.

indiscriminately posted:

also the sound mixing was bad."

I'm pretty sure I missed some of the narration because the music swelled a few times just as Imperioli spoke up. How the gently caress did nobody notice that? It's almost up there with the scene transition from "Cold Cuts"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, wtf is it with Chase and twin characters? I think I've maybe met 3 or 4 identical twins in my entire loving life and, counting this movie, that's 4 in the Sopranos continuity alone by my count. Does he just like the actor(s) that much that he writes all this other poo poo for them? I know he wrote Patsy in because he liked the performer but what's the point of 2 Ray Liottas?

I read somewhere that the actor playing Sal dropped out so they got Liotta to pull double duty. Not 100% sure on the source though. Honestly Liotta is so good in both roles and he’s a highlight of the movie for me

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
This thing made so little money that I doubt anyone ever has to worry about hearing from David Chase again.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I honestly didn't even have enough time to give a poo poo about Hollywood Dick. He was killed like twenty-five minutes into the movie in a scene that was supposed to be a big deal and there simply wasn't enough on the screen by that point to care.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mike N Eich posted:

The interesting thing is in interviews David Chase said he really wanted to make a movie - something that has the rhythm, beats and arc of a film, not a tv series. And yet, for the most part, it felt like an extended tv episode. Maybe its the hangover of the series. I dunno.

The abrupt flip from 1967 to the early 1970s didn't really feel right, that felt a bit artificial and clearly a holdout from when they initially wanted to do a film purely about the riots and then wanted to fit Tony's progression in as well.

The more I think on it, I just don't think the Sopranos mold fits into any sort of movie storytelling movie format.

My first time through I would sometimes forget certain story beats because the previous show never touched on the one(s) from two weeks ago and I'd be like "oh yeaaahhh...that dude." Like they'd alternate almost. Some people compared it to a soap opera and for some good reasons.

Seems to me the only way to pull it off would be to laser focus on ONE unexplored plot element from the show, drill down into that and use the rest as window dressing, sub plots and fan service but in more of a background role. Like El Camino did with Breaking Bad, which was bascially "whatever happened to Jessie?"; a simple premise tying up that loose end and relegating the more tangential elements, cameos, flashbacks and fan service moments to the background.

Like, I'm trying to picture a movie of The Wire and I just loving can't. What do you do? An Omar or Avon Barksdale origin story or some poo poo with teenage Kima and little Bunk? Pass.

Christ, someone is gonna try that, aren't they?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The deadwood movie pretty much worked. Granted that was not a prequel or any such crap (thank loving god) and was basically just a conclusion to pay off things the show had set up before it was cancelled.

Still, thinking about it now, many saints may basically secure david milch's position as the superior david for the historical record

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
I feel a two hour runtime could be long enough to tell the Dickie Moltisanti story successfully. Cut the confusingly abbreviated Harold arc and a lot of the young Tony stuff, develop the Dickie-Johnny-Junior characters and relationships so that the twist ending is rewarding... not call-back comical segued into unearned poignancy concluding with a corny corpsey pinky promise.