Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

honda whisperer posted:

Are you getting ready for a first track day?

Yeah, I have a few seasons of autocross experience, but imagining threshold breaking from straight line 100+ mph into a corner scares the poo poo out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Virgil Vox posted:

Yeah, I have a few seasons of autocross experience, but imagining threshold breaking from straight line 100+ mph into a corner scares the poo poo out of me.

Nobody does this. You're going to see the "5" marker from 1000 feet away and think that you're right on top of the corner.

If it's your first time out, focus on getting around the track and figuring out where you should be turning in. Everything else will come with time, but your first impressions will be wildly off base; my first HPDE in the first session I thought I was breaking the sound barrier only to look down and see that I was going 85mph halfway down the main straight at VIR.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Virgil Vox posted:

Don't sweat it. Autox is so fast and tight and send it on the first run. At a track day you'll walk it in to being quick. Each lap braking a little deeper and carrying a little more speed.

Also there won't be any corners that feel like a slalom where you're hucking the car around. It'll be weird because the speeds will be higher but the inputs will feel like slow motion.

If you're taking the autox car I'd recommend tires that start squealing before the limit if that's an option. And fresh brake fluid + track pads.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Brake fluid for sure. Brake fade is the thing that would catch you out. But yeah, don't worry about the details until you get out there and start to feel what you need to worry about. Nobody expects you to hit the latest possible breaking zone or carry all the speed through a corner.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Virgil Vox posted:

What event are you planning for? If you stay away from the car eater tracks of WHP Main, WHP West, and Bondurant you've got nothing to worry about locally.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

What event are you planning for? If you stay away from the car eater tracks of WHP Main, WHP West, and Bondurant you've got nothing to worry about locally.

Not till July or august, and I’d prefer AMP if only cause I know where it is and how it’s set up

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Performance Data BEAVER Recorder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_QzYVk_ETA

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

How do I fix my miata sort of plowing, I guess is the term, after a corner? Like I can feel the front isn't getting traction allowing the car to finish cornering.

This usually happens and gets worse after a few autocross runs so I think it's tires (660s 200tw) getting too hot, but I might be taking the corner faster too. I spray the tires between runs and keep the pressure constant.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Plow/Understeer, you can try reducing rear or increasing front tire pressures a little to see if that helps. What's your alignment setup?

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
What swaybars are you running front and rear and what tire pressures are you seeing after a run?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There’s too many variables with autox and the only thing you’ve said is that you have Falken RT660s.

Pushing is faster at autox, but dropping some pressure in the front might work. If you have adjustable shocks or a sway bar with multiple settings, you can move those around.

The only other thing I can recommend is trying to open up the wheel sooner than you think you can.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Zero toe front, slight toe in rear (I think it's 1/32), -2.5 camber all around, castor 5.

Sway bars at neutral middle settings

Flyin Miata Fox coil overs full stiff all corners

surface is a level airport tarmac.

I don't think I can loose more air pressure in the fronts based on my chalk markers. I don't want to add aero, so I'll play with the sways a bit. I usually do pretty well in STR class but this has been an issue lately robbing me of time on the later runs.

I should start getting into data I guess cause this is all based on feel.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Virgil Vox posted:

Flyin Miata Fox coil overs full stiff all corners

Step 1 is soften the front to get more mechanical grip.

The proper way to do this is to do a bunch of testing to find out where your shocks are happiest balance wise. Your goal is to keep the shocks at the softest setting that doesn't bounce around like crazy, because you'll have more mechanical grip.

Later in the day is also usually where temperature is increasing compared to morning runs - so you may actually be able to bleed off a psi or two all around. Check your hot tire pressures early, where you're happy with the balance. Check them after every run. You might find that your pressures are higher later in the day and you can bleed some air out in the afternoon.

For what it's worth, I'm on xidas @ 800/500 spring rates, racing beat 1-1/8" hollow front bar / Mazdaspeed rear bar, full stiff on the front bar, full soft on the rear bar. Alignment is 0 toe F/ 1/32 R, -3.2F / -2.8R camber wise. I play with my shock settings every event based on how the car is behaving. Cars a handful (decidedly loose) but hilariously fun to drive.

I'd read through https://supermiata.com/miata-race-alignment-info.aspx for setup tips and tricks.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 28, 2021

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You probably have too much rear bar. I don't remember offhand what Emilio was suggesting for the ND, but I'd take a look at the mnet STR thread for some pointers on setup.

e: chalk markers are fine for figuring out if you're using the entire width of the tread, post a picture of your tire and what tire pressures you're running (hot) on what size wheel and size tire

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Same, I gave up on caring about autocrossing my poo poo years ago because the wheel time vs total time commitment is absolutely awful.

Fourthing this. I did exactly one autocross and said WTF, I just spent my entire day here and had 6 minutes of on track time.

I used to live near Pitt Race but now I’m in a track desert with nothing nearby.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

And I have to travel 4 hours one way to my closest auto x lol. It really is the worst in respect to time commitment vs seat time. On the other side it's the cheapest and lowest barrier to entry. I also think the courses, class rules, and PAX do a very good job equalizing the grid. I'm getting a lot better at it, people who I thought were quick when I started are now rivals, it's fun to see progress.

Original plan was to use it as a step to HPDE and then time attack but Im personally enjoying a vastly different and extremely technical layout each time I go out. Guess I'm content with cones for now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HPDE and AutoX are totally different. You're not timed in HPDE and you're focusing on improving consistency and practicing being out there with others. I'd say they're more complementary to each other than a progression. TT costs real money relative to those, so it's different in its own way.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

HPDE and AutoX are totally different. You're not timed in HPDE and you're focusing on improving consistency and practicing being out there with others.
Depends on the organizers but I've been officially timed roughly 50% of the time in CA, and have relied on video footage when not. At the higher levels - say open passing - I think people treat it as more of a time trial. For me the only things I've cared about are my lap times (without being a dick to others on track or spending a fortune on slicks)

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Phone posted:

You probably have too much rear bar. I don't remember offhand what Emilio was suggesting for the ND, but I'd take a look at the mnet STR thread for some pointers on setup.

e: chalk markers are fine for figuring out if you're using the entire width of the tread, post a picture of your tire and what tire pressures you're running (hot) on what size wheel and size tire

you might be right; lots of CS ND guys remove the rear. I didn't like that setup at all for aggressive twisty mountain roads though.

Finally got a vid uploaded, my main issue was out of that first big 180 right hander:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Ar_39kyK0

On video it doesn't seem that bad maybe, certainly felt like I was going straighter than I wanted

hot pressure is 28 but who knows how accurate the gauge is. 215/40 on a 17x7.5+38 (global cup car wheels :whatup:)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
C Street NDs can't; you can change 1 sway bar, removing a sway counts as a change.

I can't tell when you're on or off the gas due to the wind noise, but nothing looked super out of place. I've been running 28psi with the 225 RT660s on 17x7 with a completely stock 2016 Club with pretty good results. I doubt that you're rolling over onto the sidewall at all with your setup as is.

Next steps are to start experimenting. Run 28 in the front and 30 in the rear, 32 in the front and 28 in the rear, front shocks full stiff, front shocks full soft, etc. etc.

e: I'm going to second checking the tire pressures after every run. I immediately hopped out after every run and bled 1 or 2 psi out to keep it at 28 hot through my run group.

code:
1	50.682
2	49.251
3	48.774
4	48.633
5	47.944

Phone fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 29, 2021

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I check the pressure right after and adjust down, even spray (outside temps can be 110+)

Edit: I think some run no rear bar cause it's easier than changing the front lol

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 29, 2021

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

First time at Sonoma last weekend, I love that loving place! I think it's gonna be my new "home" track. A couple 2:15 laps were the best I got but I learned a lot just chasing better drivers in better cars. The car did great. Bumping up the rear spring rate was just what the doctor ordered and I'm sure the wider tires helped. This was the first time I've run these Maxxis VR-1 S2s on track and they were better than I expected, gripped hard all day. You can tell in the pic that I need a touch more rear camber. I also need to get the shocks and tire pressures just right and maybe lower the ride height a touch and this thing might be capable of 2:00 laps.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Forgive me I'm a dumb millennial but what car is that?

It looks super fun and cool!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Virgil Vox posted:

It’s a Miata.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Virgil Vox posted:

This will explain better than a quick post.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854227&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Joe Mama posted:

First time at Sonoma last weekend, I love that loving place! I think it's gonna be my new "home" track. A couple 2:15 laps were the best I got but I learned a lot just chasing better drivers in better cars. The car did great. Bumping up the rear spring rate was just what the doctor ordered and I'm sure the wider tires helped. This was the first time I've run these Maxxis VR-1 S2s on track and they were better than I expected, gripped hard all day. You can tell in the pic that I need a touch more rear camber. I also need to get the shocks and tire pressures just right and maybe lower the ride height a touch and this thing might be capable of 2:00 laps.

Pretty car! Also 2:15 is impressive for your first time & a setup that hasn't been fully dialed-in. I was barely able to touch 2:00 in my stock-ish 987S

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Thanks! I'm surprised at how smooth the car was. For Miata people; I'm only running 550lb front and 400lb rear springs on Xida GS (stockish ride height) shocks and 225 tires and stock sway bars. I can't believe it but I think it actually handles as well as it did when it was still a Miata, in outright grip anyway. On top of that I STILL have not had a corner balance done and I don't even know how much it weighs.

For thread content: People who have tracked in the Northern CA area in a street legal car; what kind of times are you running at T-Hill, Sonoma, and Laguna? What car, what skill level? Just out of curiosity.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Just took a look at my laps in Harry’s and here’s my best so far in an 06 Exige (non supercharged). It’s quite a bit faster than my mostly stock NA Miata, but this is driving it like 7/10ths because I’m way more scared of breaking it.

Thunderhill East bypass 2:12
Thunderhill East cyclone 2:16
Thunderhill 5 mile 3:48
Laguna Seca 1:48
Sonoma 2:06

Never done Sonoma in the Miata but I’m around 1:58 at Laguna in it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
While not street legal, my Miata came with an AIM Solo that had some times, it ran S1 SuperMiata which was 220 wheel, 2300lb min weight, and 245 Maxxis RC1s (equivalent lap times to hankook rs4).
47 at Sonoma
36 at Laguna
52 at BW13CW
26 at Big Willow

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 6, 2021

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Just took a look at my laps in Harry’s and here’s my best so far in an 06 Exige (non supercharged). It’s quite a bit faster than my mostly stock NA Miata, but this is driving it like 7/10ths because I’m way more scared of breaking it.

Thunderhill East bypass 2:12
Thunderhill East cyclone 2:16
Thunderhill 5 mile 3:48
Laguna Seca 1:48
Sonoma 2:06

Never done Sonoma in the Miata but I’m around 1:58 at Laguna in it.

Being scared of breaking the car is my problem too. I'm slowly getting over it. When it was still a Miata I did 2:20 at T-Hill east cyclone and the Volkzda, with very unpredictable handling and old gen 1 BFG Rivals, last year did 4:05 at the 5-mile.

BlackMK4: That is pretty much what I'd expect from that car. Cookin'.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Any goons at the Glen this weekend? My friend who was supposed to come with me managed to get himself quarantined last minute.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
trip report from first day with e46 m3 abs unit in miata

It is pretty loving great compared to the stock unit. Seems to have a couple of modes of operation.

First one is a normal thump through the pedal, for example trail braking into a tight, slower corner where I'd intermittently lock one tire lightly by accident

Second is the cool one I hadn't experienced before -- getting on the brakes hard and fast in a straight line would give a pretty solid pedal feel. Weird thing was that the back of the car would give the sensation that it wanted to move around a lot, but it wouldn't actually go anywhere. Once I began turning in the braking would immediately stabilize and the car settled down. I could repeat this in one corner every lap, my friend manning the tower next to it said that he could hear the car chirping individual different tires on the brakes.

Most importantly, no loving ice mode hard pedal and no random tire locks / pedal drops because ABS decided it was confused. I guess we will see if that holds up when I go to some of the other local tracks that have bumps in the wrong spot on the brakes.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 12, 2021

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That's awesome.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Photos from my HPDE at Watkins Glen are out. Props to the dude tracking his MR2.

https://www.windshadowstudios.net/M...PDE-1-2-Images/

I'm in the blue FoRS.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KillHour posted:

Photos from my HPDE at Watkins Glen are out. Props to the dude tracking his MR2.

I'm in the blue FoRS.

Some nice pictures in there :)

Testing time this weekend, sticker 245/40/15 Maxxis RC1 v1 and Falken RT660 back to back. Was surprised on the weight of the Falken since I've already considered the Maxxis to be a relatively heavy tire, also it is wider than the Maxxis. By all accounts the RT660 should be the fastest 245 15" non-Hoosier, which I am hoping turns out to be true. Was hoping to take a shot at one of the local TT4 records I've wanted for a while, but we aren't running the AMP CCW config (unexpected) like normal on Sunday. That'll have to wait until December. Worst case I put 100lb of ballast in the car and buy a set of R7s.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Was hoping to take a shot at one of the local TT4 records I've wanted for a while, but we aren't running the AMP CCW config (unexpected) like normal on Sunday. That'll have to wait until December.
Aww, I like CCW better but that may just be due to shaking the rust off on Saturday. Are you running the Miata or Toyobaru this weekend? I'll be out with the SS and new 265W RS4s, and hopefully fixed front alignment so I can stop killing inside edges of front tires :doh:

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I feel the 660s fall off pretty badly after they get too hot. I want to try the A052s they're a pound lighter but $$$

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I swear they're not slicks, look there's a tread pattern. Those look fun.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

heffray posted:

Aww, I like CCW better but that may just be due to shaking the rust off on Saturday. Are you running the Miata or Toyobaru this weekend? I'll be out with the SS and new 265W RS4s, and hopefully fixed front alignment so I can stop killing inside edges of front tires :doh:

I agree, CCW is better :lol:

I'm going to bring the Miata, I was kinda thinking about bringing the BRZ on Sunday since it is CW but I really don't feel like dealing with the truck/trailer dance.

New tires for both of us :) See you this weekend!

Virgil Vox posted:

I feel the 660s fall off pretty badly after they get too hot. I want to try the A052s they're a pound lighter but $$$

Yeah, I'm curious to see how fast they are and how bad the fall off is. The Maxxis fall off time wise after 2 hot laps but are pretty manageable in terms of the greasy feeling if you're willing to have some kind of tire sympathy. I have A052 on my BRZ, but I haven't had them on track to test.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I swear they're not slicks, look there's a tread pattern. Those look fun.

They last forever and are cheap, but quick they are not. Contingency is great too, 2 tires for a win in a field of 5 and a tire for first and second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I had 215/40ZR17 A052’s on my 86 (stock wheels) - they don’t fall off as badly as the RE71Rs. Keep in mind they WILL delaminate very quickly if you are only running mild camber (I just had bolts on the front - nothing else.) and they like wider wheels too. The 215 was definitely wider than the 225/45/R17 RE71R I had before.

I bought 9” Wedssports, pedder top hats, and rear camber arms for next year.