Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FINALLY got Quantum Solution done. Ironically dying is what did the trick for me, as I reprised right next to the second-to-last target and was able to snap their neck, and I'd hit the last with a bleed effect weapon and it must have done the trick since they died as I raced up to finish them off (and had to kill a Julianna in the way in the process, which almost dropped me into the depths of despair thinking it would cost me).

That and Ghost at the Feast were incredible frustrating, but the latter was not bad practice for Clean-Ish hands, which in theory seems to be a lot easier to pull off.... in theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Anyone have any counterplay strategies against Aether and/or gas clouds? I get real reckless trying to find sneaky Colts and usually get an invisible machete to the face for my troubles. But it's win/win because I get to go on to invade someone who's not trying to out-tedious me. I'm keeping Karnesis on just so I have something to fight back against gas clouds for now. Get away and try to ambush, because a suicidal with a spare life Colt wins.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ravenfood posted:

I was sad those didn't seem to be physics enabled so I couldn't use their hard work for my own enjoyment.
I shot them with my silenced LIMP but I needed to jumpstart the line a few times. It eventually worked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If, like me, you were struggling to get the Deathday Suit achievement, then make sure you do not, like me, kill the mostly-naked guy in the Complex at night with a machete (the one that Egor shot before you arrived who is laying in the snow dying when you arrive). For whatever reason it only registers as a proper death if you shoot him with a gun, and I only found out about this after running through multiple loops wondering why the gently caress I wasn't getting the achievement :doh:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Grayshift posted:

Anyone have any counterplay strategies against Aether and/or gas clouds? I get real reckless trying to find sneaky Colts and usually get an invisible machete to the face for my troubles. But it's win/win because I get to go on to invade someone who's not trying to out-tedious me. I'm keeping Karnesis on just so I have something to fight back against gas clouds for now. Get away and try to ambush, because a suicidal with a spare life Colt wins.

I got purple Steel Lungs real early and it's probably going to be a staple of my build for a while. Especially because I also have a gas cloud pistol, so if need be I can just break off and huff farts to heal. Aether I'm still defenseless against, because seeing the Predator effect is hard enough when lag's not part of the equation.

The rank up rewards are pretty much random, right? Because I got three of the recoilless pistol/SMG transformers in one level up.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Yeah, as far as I've heard, it's completely random, except that by the end you'll have one of each personal trinket, three of each weapon trinket and each combination of weapon skins and traits.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
While I'm not 100% on the theory that this game is set in the Dishonored universe, it is kind of obvious whenever they reuse assets. Like there's those Dishonored-rear end patio chairs with the folding canopy scattered around, and I had to stop and stare at the texture mismatch on one of those metal console tables alongside the 60s fake woodgrain furniture.

There's also this.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's an Easter egg trinket in the game that I just confirmed exists: You have to go to the Complex in the morning, activate the generators and divert power to Karl's Bay. In the Afternoon, open the Horizon bunker on the edge of the Karl's Bay map. Return there in the evening, and an invincible Colt clone will be pacing back and forth. Assassinate him, and he'll drop a bunch of trinkets, including one called Vampire, that's apparently unavailable any other way. You can exit to the main menu and redo the map if it doesn't drop in the quality you want.

It adds life leech to all weapon attacks.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Not quite so hard to find, but similarly unique, the cannon by the library in Updaam is readied in the afternoon, with the human cannonball inside gushing about his trinket. The cannon is not adequately charged, however, so you need to help it along. A half-charged battery sits by the cannon, plug it in, push the button, and our intrepid daredevil lands on the roof of the hangar in Karl's Bay, leaving behind his Cat Fall charm. Pairs nicely with the Splashdown charm from jumping through the hoop in Fristaad Rock morning.

And after obtaining those two, I began finding them in random piles of pocket change, which implies to me that finding them added them to the loot pool, so maybe Vampire gets the same treatment.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

this stuff is all cool, but the thought of firing the game back up again is almost unpleasant. i still think deathloop is a good game, but i've never done as hard a 180 on actually wanting to play something before as i did after finishing this. maybe in a year i'll come back and clean up the achievements. are there any obscure ones that are multiplayer-linked that i should try to grind out now while its still active?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Chard posted:

this stuff is all cool, but the thought of firing the game back up again is almost unpleasant. i still think deathloop is a good game, but i've never done as hard a 180 on actually wanting to play something before as i did after finishing this. maybe in a year i'll come back and clean up the achievements. are there any obscure ones that are multiplayer-linked that i should try to grind out now while its still active?

There's only the two multiplayer achievements, kill Colt and disguise as Colt. You probably need to completely loop Colt because I only got Dressing Down for sneaking up behind a Colt, Masquerading him, and filling his head with buckshot before he disconnected.

e: And if you have a friend with the game, you can just take a couple minutes and coordinate getting them.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dareon posted:

There's only the two multiplayer achievements, kill Colt and disguise as Colt. You probably need to completely loop Colt because I only got Dressing Down for sneaking up behind a Colt, Masquerading him, and filling his head with buckshot before he disconnected.

e: And if you have a friend with the game, you can just take a couple minutes and coordinate getting them.

nice, i got both of those already (disguise as colt is fun, you can see the brain gears grind to a halt) so i think i'll put this on the shelf for now.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Chard posted:

Yup, the second I finished it I knew I had zero interest in even doing one more loop to make the other choice at the end, but I wanted more so I immediately bought Dishonored 2 on sale. Hoping that scratches the itch until Deathloop DLC comes out.

Even though I don’t want to play Deathloop any more, it hooked me and I really enjoyed it while it lasted. I think I actually don’t mind the idea of a game you can beat in a reasonable amount of time and then feel like you’re finished with it. Returnal was the same for me. I LOVED it while I was playing it and once I got the final ending I put it down and never touched it again.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

That's every game with me. I think I only ever replayed arpgs where it's part of the gameplay loop (heh).

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Palpek posted:

That's every game with me. I think I only ever replayed arpgs where it's part of the gameplay loop (heh).

Yeah I guess I just mean games that don’t encourage you to take one hundred hours to beat them.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Seymour Buttz posted:

Even though I don’t want to play Deathloop any more, it hooked me and I really enjoyed it while it lasted. I think I actually don’t mind the idea of a game you can beat in a reasonable amount of time and then feel like you’re finished with it. Returnal was the same for me. I LOVED it while I was playing it and once I got the final ending I put it down and never touched it again.

I feel that. One of my favorite games can be beaten in under two hours and I don't feel the need to replay it. Subsurface Circular, if you're interested (The "sequel," Quarantine Circular, has more replayability). There's even a note on the Steam page that's like "You can easily beat this and refund it, but we'd appreciate it if you didn't."

Sometimes it's just a feeling of "Well, that was neat, I'm done." which I've occasionally had on open-ended games (Hydroneer most recently).

e: In actual Deathloop news, I feel like getting the Don't Mind Me achievement by throwing a grenade into the crowd waiting in front of the library and activating Aether before it explodes is cheating.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 5, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Seymour Buttz posted:

I immediately bought Dishonored 2

I've been playing through Dishonored and the DLC again after beating Deathloop. It's too real playing it post-covid. There's an announcement in one of the DLC levels along the lines of "In these times of plague, the Lord Regent has decreed that anyone not reporting for work in an industry deemed essential by the state will be charged with treason." So only barely more dystopian than IRL where you just lose your job and get evicted

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Wafflecopper posted:

I've been playing through Dishonored and the DLC again after beating Deathloop. It's too real playing it post-covid. There's an announcement in one of the DLC levels along the lines of "In these times of plague, the Lord Regent has decreed that anyone not reporting for work in an industry deemed essential by the state will be charged with treason." So only barely more dystopian than IRL where you just lose your job and get evicted

I'm doing the DLC for the first time right now, pretty ok except for some really overly linear level design. For the first time in any Dishonoured level I went totally murder crazy on the whalers. Wait, they're anti-union animal torturers? On the way out Billie Lurk was like 'you just took out an entire city block' gently caress yeah, gently caress those guys.

I'd never thought about how the entire economy and world of the game is based around animal torture. I'm not sure if I knew that extra little detail about keeping them alive.

If the Deathloop world is the Dishonoured world, I wonder if the whales are all dead and they were able to just easily transition to electricity once they actually had to. lol that's horrible but very believable.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Walrus posted:

I'm doing the DLC for the first time right now, pretty ok except for some really overly linear level design. For the first time in any Dishonoured level I went totally murder crazy on the whalers. Wait, they're anti-union animal torturers? On the way out Billie Lurk was like 'you just took out an entire city block' gently caress yeah, gently caress those guys.

I'd never thought about how the entire economy and world of the game is based around animal torture. I'm not sure if I knew that extra little detail about keeping them alive.

If the Deathloop world is the Dishonoured world, I wonder if the whales are all dead and they were able to just easily transition to electricity once they actually had to. lol that's horrible but very believable.

The whales are important to the cosmology and potentially the very existence of the Dishonored universe - Death of the Outsider in particular (iirc) makes it clearer that they're being killed at an increasing rate and that this is having very, very ominous impacts on e.g. The Void.

If they really did bring them to extinction, this could explain partially the outside world being so "poo poo" in Deathloop, and gives a slightly better explanation for the ultra rich using the island and time loop as a way to isolate themselves from the consequences of their actions?

Arkane are not really known for their subtlety

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 5, 2021

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Seymour Buttz posted:

Yup, the second I finished it I knew I had zero interest in even doing one more loop to make the other choice at the end, but I wanted more so I immediately bought Dishonored 2 on sale. Hoping that scratches the itch until Deathloop DLC comes out.

I'm the same way. I ended up picking up the Prey:Mooncrash DLC and The Forgotten City to scratch the timeloop itch.

The Forgotten City was ok (though I had 3/4 of the endings within 3 hours), but Mooncrash is phenomenal and I HIGHLY recommend it. You can see some of the family resemblance between Mooncrash and Deathloop, but Mooncrash has been much more engaging compared to Deathloop.

I LOVED Deathloop, don't get me wrong, but after playing through a lot of Mooncrash, I can't help but feel like Deathloop was a step backwards compared to what they put together in Mooncrash.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Apparently the Deathloop world was being ravaged by its own pandemic when the AEON project was launched, judging by a note found in the Retirement Chamber on Fristad Rock after you shut off the gas trap.

Of course that's the kind of tiny detail you could tuck in during development without risking breaking something, and this game was definitely in the works during COVID.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

IMJack posted:

Apparently the Deathloop world was being ravaged by its own pandemic when the AEON project was launched, judging by a note

I found that note very interesting, because you could read it as a meta-commentary on the video games industry. Replace AEON in that note with Microsoft/Bethesda/Arkane, and read "endless pursuit of pleasure" as "escapism by playing video games", and it could just as well be a goodbye notice from an ex-employee.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I have a very simple question to people who have played the game through: is this game really worth 60 bucks, should I get it even though I'm not exactly hurting for games to play? I like the look and I like the action as well as the central conceit. But I'm curious to know what people who have played through it think, is it worth it or should I wait a bit and maybe get it cheaper eventually?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Play posted:

I have a very simple question to people who have played the game through: is this game really worth 60 bucks, should I get it even though I'm not exactly hurting for games to play? I like the look and I like the action as well as the central conceit. But I'm curious to know what people who have played through it think, is it worth it or should I wait a bit and maybe get it cheaper eventually?

I loved it and have no regrets paying full price but it is a somewhat divisive game. If you aren't wild about the core conceit then you might be underwhelmed. The only thing that should give you urgency to play now is the invasion multiplayer, which might start dying out as people finish the game and put it down. Another thing to consider is that it's a timed PS5/PC exclusive, and it's published by Bethesda. So in about a year it's gonna be released on Xbox and get put on Game Pass for both Xbox and PC, and that'll give the multiplayer a shot in the arm too.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Play posted:

It was worth full price to me and I'm so mentally broken that the looping in Hades made me hate that game. To me it ascends past a conceit I usually hate and made me enjoy it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i personally really liked it but it honestly probably depends on how much you like arkane games

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Play posted:

Arkane makes great games, and I think Deathloop is still at a point where quantity of sales matters regarding which directions future Arkane games will take, and what kind of budget they'll get.

That said, the other main reason to get it now rather than later is how you feel about the 1v1 multi-player. Being stalked or fought by a player Julianna is very different than simply playing with an AI, and the game is pretty much designed for that mode.

If you play this mode some months down the line, the remaining Julianna players will probably be frustratingly skilled.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
It's worth 60 bucks. Arkane is my favorite developer and I want them to make money and keep making cool stuff, so I'm happy to urge people to buy their games at full price. Chard said something that's really worth repeating, though:

Chard posted:

When I finished Deathloop, I didn't have the urge to restart immediately the way I did with Prey or Dishonored. If anything I felt like I'd just completed a very long and complex chore that was often fun and funny, but also just an effort. A lot of this is probably because I followed the Arsenal Leads (and farmed the hell out of them) before I did the story leads, but by the end of the game, I was more than ready for it to end. Maybe after some major DLCs I'll do another run, but it isn't a keep-installed game for me like Prey or the Dishonored series (all of which I got far more than $60 of entertainment from).

Anyway, that's not meant to dissuade you from buying it; it's a fun game and worth the money. Just something worth pointing out in the wake of Arkane's other games.

VVV Edit -- reading other posts also tells me just how many different approaches I somehow missed, despite playing the game for so long

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 5, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There is one kill I enjoyed the most: one-shotting Charlie from clean across the gap in Updaam through the window with the scoped rifle.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

When I finished Deathloop, I didn't have the urge to restart immediately the way I did with Prey or Dishonored. If anything I felt like I'd just completed a very long and complex chore that was often fun and funny, but also just an effort. A lot of this is probably because I followed the Arsenal Leads (and farmed the hell out of them) before I did the story leads, but by the end of the game, I was more than ready for it to end. Maybe after some major DLCs I'll do another run, but it isn't a keep-installed game for me like Prey or the Dishonored series (all of which I got far more than $60 of entertainment from).

Anyway, that's not meant to dissuade you from buying it; it's a fun game and worth the money. Just something worth pointing out in the wake of Arkane's other games.

I think the difference is that Deathloop integrates replaying into its gameplay, rather than leaving it as a meta thing that you can do after finishing a run. I liked that when I put Deathloop down I didn't feel like I was leaving much on the table.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Bought a copy for me, copy for my brother. Don't regret anything. Once you get the ability to get the currency I kept the invasions wide open, it made every Visionary map so much more exciting. There's such a low penalty for dying (eventually) that I wanted that thrill no matter what.

Going through a second time now for the stuff I missed. I think I liked Moon crash a little more overall, but invasions by far have given me the best moments I've had in games in a few years.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Thanks guys, that was actually really helpful. I will almost certainly buy it next time I am too drunk for my own good

e: tomorrow, probably

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Play posted:

Just finished this. I think it's a decent game, but I do wish I'd waited until it was half off. I'm not a huge Arkane fan, though, aside from Prey. I enjoyed Prey much more than Deathloop.

The last few hours really drag, IMO, and I don't feel a compelling reason to replay it.

I do agree that you'll want to get it sooner rather than later if you're dying to play invasions. Those are kind of fun, but the netcode seems like total garbage.

Pretty much in agreement with this post, though I've had good luck with fighting off Juliannas:

stratdax posted:

After about 20 hours of the game I'm feeling more and more negative about the game. I don't actually think the loop mechanic actually adds that much. You do a mission in a given level, which allows you to do another level (and so on) until it loops, then you just do the same 4 levels again. And again. This isn't really a puzzle game where you experiment with stuff and push the reactivity of the level and see how it affects other levels because there just isn't really that much to experiment with. You, the player, don't figure anything out, Colt just reads a note or pushes a button and then says "okay now I know what button to push in the next level". It's a linear quest line through the same repeating four levels, it's becoming pretty tedious. Not very rewarding. Of course there's the optional quests but they're as removed and divorced from the rest of the game as they are pointless. And sure, I could turn off objective markers but that isn't really the way the game is ground-up designed. Plus there isn't really a narrative here except what's found through notes or recordings, which is a really passive way to tell a story. Makes me feel really un-invested in what's going on.

The resetting loop mechanic leads to more frustration than it should. I get far in a level, fully exploring and picking up items and whatnot, then I get looped in some way. Guess I gotta do all that again! It's like writing an essay for school and accidentally deleting it. The second go around is a sloppy, disinterested mess. I think it actually promotes playing the opposite way I think it's intended - why bother spending lots of time making your way through a level if you might get looped and have to do it all again? It's just punishing and frustrating, not rewarding. Better to just bum-rush the objective so that if you DO get looped, you've only lost 5 minutes of your life instead of 30. Which is also why I've turned off invasions, because I'll likely get wrecked by a human Julianna.

I said in an earlier post that with human invasions it turned into a cat-and-mouse game. I take it back, I WISH it was a fun cat-and-mouse game with tactics and strategy and positioning. But it's not, humans always just charge full steam ahead. You know what I think would have been cool? Colt and Julianna can't kill each other directly with guns (just call it loop destabilization or something), but Julianna could change things on a level to a large degree. Lock doors, move Eternalists around, place lasers, set traps, I dunno, SOMETHING. But the game world is just not reactive or flexible enough for that. Plus I know people just aren't patient enough for that, they just want to go all choppy-choppy within the first 30 seconds. It's just a nice dream I have. (I've trying playing AS Julianna but the lag is brutal. Also I suck there too but since Colt gets three lives to my one I'm just happy if I get a kill or two in). PS is anybody else throwing a regular grenade at the same time as you place a proximity grenade as Julianna?

The style (which is immaculate from top to bottom) and the shiny loot aspect are doing a lot of heavy lifting.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 5, 2021

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i thought i'd get bored of creeping through the same levels over and over again but by the end of the game you've got a bunch of cool powers and guns and you know the layout so well that i was having a blast just speedrunning objectives with clockwork precision

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This game is a solid 8/10 and I do not regret purchasing it full price.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Bought this about a week ago and really been enjoying it. Playing it slow and trying some invasions as Juliana, and boy do I suck. I managed to find a Cole I was able to kill twice, but bit it on his 3rd life. It feels like I'm getting matched against Coles that have mastered the game at this point. Any tips for being better at invading?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Even if the gameplay and pacing were more to my liking, I don’t think I could place it at more than 7/10, yet. I hit a number of really frustrating bugs on PS5–had to close out and lose my progress about ten times over the course of a play-through. Might be better on other platforms.

That said, I am in-game now to do some invasions, so there certainly is something to it. :)

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Playing an invasion with a friend is pretty great if you establish some ground rules. Having colt ignore the transmitter and try to take down the visionary along with maybe 5 mins or so of just doing side quests and the like so Juliana can set up turrets and traps and then only starting to engage when colt is in the process of attacking the visionary makes it a lot more compelling bc there are a ton of places where Juliana can make the usual process go wrong.

This game could really use a Prey style hardcore mode with map randomization. While it’s obv meant to be more majora’s mask than a roguelike, where you solve the puzzles iteratively and eventually have the whole thing solved, I think mooncrash showed the potential to make the same type of game into something really replayable with some tweaks like that.

Personally I’d like some dlc that expands the main maps and makes things more dynamic and reactive, like new powers/trinkets/perks or something like ways you can bump the visionaries around the time periods and maps so it’s more of a sandbox, though it seems like arkane’s past dlcs usually just involve separate campaigns

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 6, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Play posted:

If 60 is nothing to you then yes definitely, the game is worth it. If money is tight you should wait.

It's hard to describe but I'd say that even though the execution is what I'd expect at the price level it does feel like you're being gouged paying so much for what is essentially four levels. When I think roguelites the prices I expect are closer to 20, so I suppose that distorts expectations. Game is excellent, but it sure feels on the pricy side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

MiddleOne posted:

it does feel like you're being gouged paying so much for what is essentially four levels.

I dunno if that's entirely fair; the game blurs the line a bit with what you could consider a level. Whole sections of the maps open up at different times of day, so revisiting one doesn't always feel like replaying the same level. Like raiding Frank and Fia's bases almost feels like two different levels that share a bit of the same overworld. No, they're not huge, but you're not always seeing the same places either. Even when you are, there are a lot of smaller changes that help keep it fresh. I don't completely disagree with you either though, the game is not cheap and for the price it could have used another one or two levels. It's probably a bit more pronounced if you're combing over each entire area every time you visit it and/or farming every upgrade for every ability. I generally only went over the areas I was in for story objectives and didn't farm the slabs I didn't use much anyway, and even then I'd agree with what seems to be the thread consensus (or at least a common sentiment) that the game outstays its welcome a little, and I haven't picked it back up since beating it and probably won't until the inevitable DLC.

MiddleOne posted:

If 60 is nothing to you then yes definitely, the game is worth it. If money is tight you should wait.

This I agree with 100%