Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Killingyouguy! posted:

Holy poo poo Shoka please just understand the point I'm trying to make about Ayano. Like I think I like the time travelling more than most but this sucks

I just consulted a guide for this. Only time in this game that I felt my time as a player wasn't being respected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Deified Data posted:

I just consulted a guide for this. Only time in this game that I felt my time as a player wasn't being respected.

Yeah, that’s the only part of the game I needed a guide for (and even then I was able to bluff my way through most of it, it was just the last stretch that confounded me).

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I ended up brute forcing it 😅 I didn't get the perfect answers but good enough

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I wish the Three Minutes Clapping remix didn't start off the way it does.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FireWorksWell posted:

I wish the Three Minutes Clapping remix didn't start off the way it does.

I like that because they know it's what the people want so it sounding like the build up to a real crowd pleaser at live show owns.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm on week 3 and I'm starting to realise I've neglected the food a bit and I'm not hitting as hard as I used to.

I've found a guide for food efficiency vs calories and cash per attribute, but how does difficult impact things.

It seems like every fight takes off 10% of hunger, but I figure that I might as well level up some pins while I'm at it.

I've not seen a significant difference between easy and hard, (other than pin drops) so, for stat grinding speed, should I just drop things to easy, keep my level high and then chain up 10 enemies in an area to cut down on loading times?

I know I'll need cash to buy more food but the most efficient for atk seems to be some cheap rear end coffee with a low calorie rate so I've got more than enough for that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I believe on Easy enemies do slightly less damage but your attacks use more MP (meaning you run out of juice for your pins a lot quicker and have to wait a bit for them to recharge).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The difficulty serves as an EXP/PP modifier, it should show on the post-battle screen but Hard is iirc a 1.3 base PP multiplier which adds up with a lot of fights. But yeah, have you looked into equipment? A lot of the character specific stuff gives pretty big bonuses, like something that says “[Character] Attack Boost IV” it’ll often be something like 40-50%. And even just having Regen II (or III but that’s a high Style cost) can help with fights.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Difficulty won't change how much your food meter changes but Easy mode does keep you from getting bonus PP so your pins won't level as quickly. Also check your Threads, there's a few clothing items that increase your metabolism, and there's a pair of pants that gives you a huge boost but halves your attack. So it varies.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I've just been using the auto styler to balance things out.

Is there a handy list anywhere to say what I should equip on each character?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Well, just started this after dodging as much spoilers as I could. I also have no idea what promotional materials spoiled.

Reached day 6 week 1 and it surely will be the only week of the game, please ignore the giant neon "not trustworthy" sign above Minamimoto at the moment.

I miss the first game's battle system. To be fair it took a while to grow on me so I'm going to trust the game.
I assume I didn't gently caress myself by picking the "auto-convert ¥ pins into actual ¥" ability, since I can't turn it off.
The ruleset around players and team-ups seems a bit different. Relatedly, who the hell thought allowing PvP was a good idea? (Reapers count as E for the PvP/PvE distinction)
Rindo, how did you miss Swallow there? Their phone was ringing right as you were messaging them. Speaking of, I think I saw that arm somewhere already, let's check Neku's old sprite while I'm writing this post. Nope not it. Shiki's plushie I saw in the opening. That chain is not Joshua's style. Let's check out the last HOLY poo poo hi Beat :stoked:.
Party member #3 rules. To be fair, so do Rindo, Fret and #4. I like their interactions already.
Rindo and Fret are in really deep denial about what erasure means. Somebody pass the popcorn, this gonna be good.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

There’s no funkiness with “you need to pay with an actual 10k yen pin” this time around, thankfully.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Regalingualius posted:

There’s no funkiness with “you need to pay with an actual 10k yen pin” this time around, thankfully.

I was thinking "mastered 1¥ pin trade" but yeah, I assumed I either could switch it off or it wouldn't matter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There’s still a 1¥ pin as an Ultimate Mode drop though!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Last Celebration posted:

There’s still a 1¥ pin as an Ultimate Mode drop though!

I presume that’s meant to be ironic, as with several of the food preferences..

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There’s a pig that drops a 1 yen pin, I never sold it. It’s just there in my inventory.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so now that they games finally out on pc I'm gonna play. loved the original (especially the story). hows this game? I've heard mixed things, but I'm still excited.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mirello posted:

so now that they games finally out on pc I'm gonna play. loved the original (especially the story). hows this game? I've heard mixed things, but I'm still excited.

Good poo poo

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Mirello posted:

This game's kind of a slow burn in regards to the plot but once the last week hits, it really hits.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah another question I have is: I watched an LP of the original to get myself reaquinted with the plot. should I also read all of those secret reports (from the original) or nah?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Mirello posted:

Oh yeah another question I have is: I watched an LP of the original to get myself reaquinted with the plot. should I also read all of those secret reports (from the original) or nah?

Yeah, it helps provide context for some of the events that happen later in NEO.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:bisonyes:
Got a new party member
:sickos:

Can we put Kariya (and if she's still here his partner whatshername) in charge of the Game once we clean house AGAIN?
Seriously, it's been three years in-universe and we're back to the Conductor* cheating like a jerk like nothing happened. What's the problem with the resurrections requiring filibustering THIS time?

*although I like his "sheeple of Shibuya" shtick, it really makes me want to cave his face in.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
You’re meant to want to cave Shiba’s face in.

Answers to the other questions would be spoilers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mirello posted:

Yes, you should also watch a playthrough of the Switch exclusive chapter A New Day.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

hyphz posted:

You’re meant to want to cave Shiba’s face in.
I had no doubt.

quote:

Answers to the other questions would be spoilers.
Oh, I know, just shooting random musings on how is the situation hosed THIS time. Seriously, Beat feels it's even worse now and last time we had the Conductor deleting all the other players to make sure Neku couldn't fight so :stonklol:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I love Shiba. He's so easy to hate, just a really great villain

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Killingyouguy! posted:

I love Shiba. He's so easy to hate, just a really great villain

Perfect mix of smug and unhinged. Doesn't hurt that he's got a great battle theme.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm getting my rear end kicked by 10-chain reductions.
I love it.

E: and Fret is simply rocking his Gothic Princess outfit.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Omobono posted:

I love it.

I ended up slapping Regen on as many people as possible to deal with 10-chains early, then crammed canned air down Rindo's throat until he hit the prereq for Regen 3.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:stare:
:stonk:
:stonklol:

Speculation incoming, if I'm right it's BIG spoilers:
holy poo poo the Ruinbringers are Reapers. I bet their third is Shiba. This also explain why PvP is on, it's to disguise the cheating "team" as a player one. They can't participate in turf wars because they're not actually Players and that'd be against the rules.
(Sidenote: they're only three people and thus they simply couldn't compete my rear end, put Reversi dude on defense and Tsugumi on offense and they wouldn't even need the third to dominate)

I'm assuming our friend(?) the Composer isn't Composer anymore because drat this level of cheating goes way beyond anything that happened in the first game. The Game between Composer and Conductor there had at least a semblance of fairness and the Players just happened to be caught in the crossfire.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Omobono posted:

I love it.

My boys were walking around in goth dresses, clown wigs, and moccasins for so long, it ruled

I love that the pool floatie ring counts as pants

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Rindo spent a shamefully long span in full Black Honey Chili Cookie (the stats were real good!) and the Pink Press-On Nails give an absurd bonus for how early you can pick them up.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

YggiDee posted:

Rindo spent a shamefully long span in full Black Honey Chili Cookie (the stats were real good!) and the Pink Press-On Nails give an absurd bonus for how early you can pick them up.

This was my exact experience as well. Honestly, with how good the BHCC stuff was, both in terms of stats and appearance, it makes me really sad they didn't make any pins for that brand.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Killingyouguy! posted:

My boys were walking around in goth dresses, clown wigs, and moccasins for so long, it ruled

I love that the pool floatie ring counts as pants

Somehow autostyle made the very strong recommendation to put Minamimoto in a Maid dress and the Comedy of Errors wig

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So I'm on week 3 day 6 and while I like the game I can't help but feel like it's kinda cheeply made?

Almost like it's a mobile game ported to consoles.

I think it's the exceptionally low volume of assets like character drawings in cut scenes, the world environment itself and enemy/move variety.

Even the loading feels, I dunno, badly optimised for what it is. Like why does it take as long as it does to load up what's one of maybe ten relatively basic non interactive environments?

Is there a story behind the development? Like was it given to 3 guys to turn around in 6 months or something?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kin posted:

So I'm on week 3 day 6 and while I like the game I can't help but feel like it's kinda cheeply made?

Almost like it's a mobile game ported to consoles.

I think it's the exceptionally low volume of assets like character drawings in cut scenes, the world environment itself and enemy/move variety.

Even the loading feels, I dunno, badly optimised for what it is. Like why does it take as long as it does to load up what's one of maybe ten relatively basic non interactive environments?

Is there a story behind the development? Like was it given to 3 guys to turn around in 6 months or something?

... what?

I'm... genuinely not sure how you think that?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Enemy types and attacks and all that seem pretty similar to the original honestly and loading times be bad because they're optimised for PS4 and not the Nintendo Switch.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Kin posted:

I think it's the exceptionally low volume of assets like character drawings in cut scenes

The rest of your post is a matter of opinion, but this one confuses me. NEO objectively has a shitload of 2D character art, way more than other games of its type. Rindo alone has 10 unique poses, and a lot of faces that are overlaid on top of each of them. This doesn't even count custom one-use cutscene art.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Enemy types and attacks and all that seem pretty similar to the original honestly and loading times be bad because they're optimised for PS4 and not the Nintendo Switch.

Everything I've found in NEO's internals make it seem like the game was designed for the Switch, with the PS4 version being more of a "no reason not to" afterthought. :shrug:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Much of what you said is a stylistic choice not a budgetary one.

I do feel like they could've used a few more enemy types though, there are even some missing that were in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I was gonna agree on the Noise list feeling anemic, but that got me to thinking, so I actually just now looked it up- TWEWY and Neo both have less than 100 enemies each, though TWEWY barely breaks 100 if you include the Dissonance Noise from the Switch port.

I do think that maybe they could have backported a couple extra enemies from the first game- for example, I would have LOVED to see the Progfox or the Goth Metal Drake here- but actually seeing the numbers laid out like that makes me feel better about it all.