Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I think "BATTERY, BATTERY, SOMEONE FIND THE BATTERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY" is going to be stuck in my head for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The way she says flip at the end gets me every loving time

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

It feels like there should be one more tier of items. Wonder if blue trinkets being green in the worldspace is a remnant of that.
There only being 5 possible perks for weapons is a bit disappointing, especially when there are a bunch of weapon perks that feel like they could easily have been given to more weapons, like charged shots or the damage buffs on consecutive shots, if only for variety
This game feels sorta short to me but the last single player fps-ish game I played was FNV, which is 50+ hours, and I’m told that 20-30 hours is about how long most immersive sims are: longer than something like Doom 4 but shorter than an open world game.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

andrew smash posted:

I think "BATTERY, BATTERY, SOMEONE FIND THE BATTERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY" is going to be stuck in my head for a long time.
perhaps you have seen this video someone posted on /r/deathloop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgRw0DmrXAs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sivart13 posted:

This is it, the culmination of all human endeavor :hellyeah:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fabricated posted:

There is one kill I enjoyed the most: one-shotting Charlie from clean across the gap in Updaam through the window with the scoped rifle.
The best part is that if you miss, he has a special dialogue screaming that Colt just tried to shoot him through the window.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I finished this game last weekend and arkane has still never made a bad game. incredible track record

https://i.imgur.com/6lHpYCZ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/fY36Vi8.mp4

I do think outer wilds is better as a timeloop game and I would have preferred deathloop to be a similar kind of puzzle rather than pretty much being a straight shot to the end as long as you follow the quest prompts, and I also think dishonored 2's gameplay is a bit more engaging on the average, so deathloop isn't a perfect slam dunk in either area. but it is very solid and inoffensive (at least in singleplayer mode) and reinforced by some surprisingly phenomenal voice acting and moment-to-moment writing, and I did not see almost any bugs at all in my playthrough, except this one which was funny instead of a problem, so the game seemed unusually polished for a AAA release too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghSYodQcb2U

game's probably not an absolute must-play but it's overall very fine and I'm glad I played it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Is there a purple version of swift shadow?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

I need to see what happens if you go into the room with the singing girl before you turn on the generators in the first room. If she still says "they already found it next door"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I posted this in another thread but if you're not finished with the game, you need to try the perk that makes sprinting into people send them flying and damage/kill them on impact. combine it with the perk that restores health on a melee attack, because of course crashing into people counts as a melee attack, and you are an unstoppable human wrecking ball that can clear an entire level in a couple minutes without firing a shot. I can't believe I slept on this for so long because it's unreasonably powerful and hilarious to crash aleksis' party by smashing your face into it and sending crowds of nexused eternalists ragdolling across the room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf34-pZ2agw

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What the gently caress, lol

I think I had something sort of similar to this happen, except without the hosed up face and invincibility. An AI Julianna got sort of stuck on a chimney and wouldn't respond to me standing in direct sight of her.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just realized. Has anyone made the "Disconored" pun?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Okay, Ghost at the Feast is a headache. I got good routing for the first few parts, then keep messing up the end. I'm writing this as I do it, so there may be an unanticipated success at the end. Fake e: There is! gently caress

Approach: Come in with Aether (With Ghost) and Shift (with Reach and Airborne). Take the left-hand door, disarm one lasermine and blink up to the roof to the left. Throw the bottle that's up there past the pod of eternalists talking about top-secret info. If I gently caress up the throw, no biggie, they wander out of danger anyway. While they're looking the other way, blink over to the Candy Bar. Head through there and across the cliffs past Charlie's access bridge, all the way to Otto's workshop. If you do it fast enough, there's a pissing eternalist on top of the wall who can see you if you're not crouched. Cross the canyon into the wine cellar entrance, then out the hole onto the ledge, over the broken wall and up the stairs to the sound/light booth overlooking the main stage. Blink over behind the scoreboard on the left, take position near the button, Aether up, and wait.

Target One: "What's up, sluts-" :murder:

Target Two: There's an open window in the old mansion wall to the left, blink through that, then head right and around the corner to the DJ booth*. Blink onto the chandelier over the dance floor, then from there up to the floor above. Proceed through Aleksis' cham- DAMMIT JULIANNA now I need to murder you. It doesn't help that because I'm going for Ghost, I didn't bring any of my really good guns, I'm still using things I picked up in the previous map (A double-pump shotgun and an exploding Rapier, so honestly decent). AI Julianna does seem to know where you are, but still relies on the detection scripting to actually find and shoot you, because I heard her in my vicinity in the mansion when she first showed up, escaped along the rooftops and banners to Colt's apartment to hack the antenna, saw her come down the main mansion approach, then, after I escaped back across the banners to the mansion, invisible all the way, she came stalking back up the main approach, easy prey for a few exploding rifle bullets. It's honestly a good way to instill challenge, because this hot single will be in your area without being super obnoxious about instantly knowing where your head is and hitting it from across the map.

Anyway, back to Target Two. Proceed through Aleksis' chambers and out into the worn red hallway. You'll trigger Egor and Wenjie's conversation as you pass beneath them, which puts a time limit on things, because once that's done Egor wanders off to his balcony overlooking the courtyard and does not move from that heavily-observed spot. Get up into the attic space, and place two lasermines in Egor's path, in the same plane so he triggers both at once. Got a real good ragdoll off him this time.

Target Three: Wenjie never leaves her rooftop, alternating between three spots. The telescope is relatively unwatched, maybe the same lasermine trick will work again? Blink over behind the crate and kegs while Aethered, plant two lasermines on a corner post of the balcony railing. Watch as Wenjie leans in to the eyepiece and trips the beams, catapulting her off the roof in an arc that I wish I'd captured. Unfortunately her body landed off the map on the cold floes below.

Exfil: Over the rooftops, down the stairs, over the broken wall, through the wine cellar, stop underneath the main approach to loot the safe, and then back across the cliffs past Otto's workshop and Charlie's mansion to the Candy Bar. Across the rooftops to the main approach, intending to loot Julianna. Get spotted by the eternalists atop the outer wall while I'm watching the guard patrols below, swear a lot, restart the level.

:sigh: Well, I know what I need to do, at least.

*: I did try luring Aleksis with his sick beats, but there was literally always someone watching him, even when the rest of the guests get bored and wander off there's one dipshit still grooving. Also got a nice chuckle when I got there before Aleksis had a chance to wander off, and got the "I hear he composes a new song every morning while taking a dump!" conversation while he was dancing five feet away.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Sivart13 posted:

Amazing

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i love this game and i sorta reminds me of shadow of mordor/war in how it treats death. because you can see your power level and confidence slowly grow more and more in real time. my first dozen loops were half aborted poo poo shows. now i can slaughter most of updamm outside of evening. i got all the visionaries at least once now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Arkane still bleeding talent constantly, by the look of it.
At this point it's more of less a completely unrelated studio to what it once was. Which is a shame.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Thanks a lot of everyone. 60 bucks is in no way a big deal for me, but I'm not Mr. Moneybags either so I think I can afford to wait a year or two. Plus I already have too many games I want to play and not enough time so I'll catch this one at a later date. Really appreciate the thoughtful responses though.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
An Eternalist threw a bottle at me and Colt reacted with indignity, it was pretty funny he had a line for that.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Play posted:

I'm not Mr. Moneybags either so I think I can afford to wait a year or two
sure that's what Jekyll says but do we really know what Hyde over here's gonna do

Play posted:

I will almost certainly buy it next time I am too drunk for my own good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dareon posted:

:sigh: Well, I know what I need to do, at least.

What eventually got me Ghost at the Feast was thanks to some advice posted here: I left Aleksis till last, which means Egor doesn't get shoved through the skylight and just wanders away after Wenjie tells him to gently caress off. If you shoot the power generator in the attic AFTER you kill Egor, it disrupts the music and the Eternalists don't have anything to dance to anymore, so they all wander off to one side of the roof and gather around to chat among themselves, which means Wenjie is often completely isolated from them rather than often being in view of at least one of them. Then I just used a combination of Aether and Shift to get her when she was at the telescope, get back on the roof and head back over the rooftops to deal with Aleksis, who won't show up to do his,"What's up, sluts!" line unless you get close enough to trigger,"I smoke all the time...." happening.

Of course Julianna showing up at any point can gently caress with stuff. When I got it to pop, I managed to avoid her while at the party and get back to the satellite and shut it down without her seeing me. I then just kept a close eye out for her on my way back to the entrance, and managed to avoid running into her. I didn't mind just loving off into the tunnels without dealing with her this one time.

Edit: late addendum to this. All the above only works if you haven't also killed Frank with the fireworks, as I found out in my hastily scrambling to fix Clean-ish Hands run.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 7, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Sivart13 posted:

sure that's what Jekyll says but do we really know what Hyde over here's gonna do

hahaha yeah you caught me we'll see what happens lol

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Lol if Fia blows the reactor, but you escape before it happens, that part of the island is a smoldering wreck on the main map during transitions

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You also get a PA monologue from a Harriet follower in Updaam afternoon

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Really annoyed. The game just softlocked on me after I completed a really annoying objective, getting The Runt to 2-Bit. Paused the game and can't unpause now, ugh.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Mike the TV posted:

Lol if Fia blows the reactor, but you escape before it happens, that part of the island is a smoldering wreck on the main map during transitions

How easy is it to do? I've never tried it.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I loved how excited colt is learning about the LPP and hoping that it’s some kind of scifi superweapon bc it might mean that hes also a genius super scientist and how crestfallen he is when he realizes that he’s just a security guard

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

andrew smash posted:

How easy is it to do? I've never tried it.

pretty easy honestly, there's usually enough time that you can run to the exit even if you're deep in the bunker

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I loved, loved the VA work of the runt. Man that was hilarious to listen to. “..I’ve already kicked the door off this loving hinges.” Lol.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Just finished this, what a wild ride, that last loop was intense. I failed it once on the last section and then basically speed-ran it. I just rolled into the party and ran around like a maniac shooting everyone, killed Egor first, then Wenjie, then just every partygoer that ran at me until Aleksis showed up in my kill feed, then I bolted for the ship, all while Julianna was hunting me. I never saw her, but I think she took a few shots at me. I chose the ending where I didn't kill her, then watched the other one on youtube. I see why people are down on the endings I guess, but I was relatively satisfied, mainly because of the intense action sequence that I made the final level into. I'm probably gonna keep it installed, maybe I'll pop in as Julianna some more down the line, I got to level 26 or so playing alongside my campaign. I don't think I'm gonna go crazy on the achievement hunting, Metroid Dread is calling my name in a couple days.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Lol a player Juliana just backstabbed me 3 times within 30 seconds without using stealth. One time I swear they were right in front of me, but I'm sure it was a latency issue. I don't think they were cheating, but they definitely had some super minmaxed setup that made it possible to Shift passed me, spin 180 and strike immediately.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finally finished the game, what a blast. Played through one more loop after so I could choose to not shoot Julianna and have mixed feelings about the result that gave. On the one hand, Julianna and Colt deciding to make the lives of everybody on Blackreef their personal playthings is pretty horrifying, even if a lot - but not all! - of them are the worst people in the world but on the other hand it did give that incredible dialogue sequence where they both get weirded out by Julianna calling Colt dad :allears:

Loved what I assume is the intended ending: Breaking the loop, and waking up to a future world with Julianna pissed off at you and presumably a bunch of very confused Eternalists and Visionaries not too far away. I'm not sure how a sequel would work, but I'd love to see more of this world and these characters, particularly Colt and Julianna who are both great.

caldrax posted:

I'm probably gonna keep it installed, maybe I'll pop in as Julianna some more down the line, I got to level 26 or so playing alongside my campaign. I don't think I'm gonna go crazy on the achievement hunting, Metroid Dread is calling my name in a couple days.

I find it kinda funny that a game that has so much obvious replay value... has that replay value in a FIRST playthrough. I've basically done everything I can think to do in the game, gotten every achievement, and though I am sure I missed a few non-signposted things here and there I feel like there isn't anything more to do in a second run beyond stripping me of the weapons/skills and passcode knowledge and having to build them up again. Not that I'm holding that against the game, I played the poo poo out of it after all! But whereas something like Mooncrash and Prey before it actively encouraged multiple playthroughs, and Dishonored had the options to try high chaos, low chaos, or even a full pacifist run, all of that seemed to be condensed into a single playthrough of Deathloop.

Still, this has been yet another in a long series of fantastic games from Arkane. Long may it continue.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I remember reading about the cancelled sequel to the 2006 Prey, and the plan they had for the plot and the ending. I was half-expecting the ending of Deathloop to do something similar and frankly I'm glad it didn't.

Break the time loop, escape, go and live an ordinary peaceful life, die of old age... wake up back at the beginning of the time loop.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

IMJack posted:

I remember reading about the cancelled sequel to the 2006 Prey, and the plan they had for the plot and the ending. I was half-expecting the ending of Deathloop to do something similar and frankly I'm glad it didn't.

Break the time loop, escape, go and live an ordinary peaceful life, die of old age... wake up back at the beginning of the time loop.

I think this was an Adventure Time episode

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gonna ruin it and point out it was a short bit in a Rick and Morty episode too

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's a pretty loving common and contrived time loop plot and I'm glad it's not in this game when I expected it

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How am I so bad at killing Juliana. :negative:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

IMJack posted:

Adding to the pile, there's a time loop game released this year that does exactly this and it's actually used pretty drat well. Returnal. You beat what seems like the final boss, get what seems like a happy ending cutscene where the protagonist lives a long fulfilling life, then she dies of old age and the second half of the game begins.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That exact thing happens in the other major PS5 release based on time loops

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Arist posted:

Really annoyed. The game just softlocked on me after I completed a really annoying objective, getting The Runt to 2-Bit. Paused the game and can't unpause now, ugh.

Ran into this exact issue. Mad frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I kinda flew through the last loop. I ended up just running and gunning the party. I was hoping there would be a bit of exposition at the end but oh well. Do you get any more of it depending on which ending you do?