Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i finally got ricardo tome (the dude who did the storyteller portraits, both for vanilla and ve factions) to take a commission for slavoj zizek, rimworld style. i sent over the first half of the pay, i'll post here first when i get final thing back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

With regard to the golden eyes, ah well. It’s still incredibly funny that my religious counselor who’s also our combination jailer/headhunter is wearing a fancy hat with a pair of dull golden orbs visible while everyone else’s cavernous sockets are covered by blindfolds, and I’m still getting willing recruits.

“gently caress Yeah Brother, I’m giving up my cannibalistic nature worship to join your fungus cult, Gouge Me The gently caress Up!” Then, after the bleeding has stopped “WHAT DO YOU MEAN I DONT GET TREASURE BALLS FOR MY FACE”

e: ^^^ you are deity posting among mere ants, I am awed

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i finally got ricardo tome (the dude who did the storyteller portraits, both for vanilla and ve factions) to take a commission for slavoj zizek, rimworld style. i sent over the first half of the pay, i'll post here first when i get final thing back

You see *sniff* that is why, you must *sniff* deal with these gut worms, yes? The colony wealth *sniff* is just Absurd.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

girl dick energy posted:

As the self-proclaimed queen of tribal starts, here's a secret: Greatbows are so quick and easy to make and so cheap in resources that you can basically just spam making them (and train your crafter) until you get some great/excellent ones. At midrange, they actually slightly beat out average bolt-action rifles, and significantly beat out revolvers.

ive actually found that greatbows are in a really strange spot. they're worse than bolt-actions and they require enough Crafting skill that if you are making them your crafter is already reasonably competent. in most cases i'd rather just get gunsmithing for 100 research points more and also get some short-range options far superior to tribal accoutrements to boot. the main reason why i wouldn't do this is because i am so scared of early attacks (cranked up difficulty level, low number of human enemies in the area, etc) that i don't feel like i can wait for Machining.

if they didn't require research it would be a completely different matter, but they do.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
DEAR TRIBALS

If you hate technology so much

Why do you have to research great bows?

Curious!

-Turning Point Glitterworld

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Danaru posted:

DEAR TRIBALS

If you hate technology so much

Why do you have to research great bows?

Curious!

-Turning Point Glitterworld

many such cases

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'll try skipping Greatbows next time, and lean on traps and what I've got.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

clubs are way better than they have any right to be early on when nothing's armored and you can swarm individual enemies. half the time i will just poo poo out a few of those and call it good for a bit.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lmao

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

is there a escaped slaves scenario for rimworld?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

in what way would that be distinct from lost tribe/naked brutality?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

in what way would that be distinct from lost tribe/naked brutality?

I just wanna be William T. Sherman on slavers, but like make it personal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could set up a scenario where you have to prepare to fight off regular raids, and an ideology that abhors slavery but likes fighting I guess.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can you make yourself hostile to the empire in the scenario editor?

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!

Azhais posted:

Can you make yourself hostile to the empire in the scenario editor?

I've used WorldEdit to tinker with the factions, including making the empire hostile (and also having more than one empire):

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2314163152

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

You can make the Empire hostile by accepting the Deserter.

I guess that’s not permanently hostile like pirates though? It ought to function the same except you can occasionally get a quest from the Empire even when you’re at war, presumably as a mechanic to eventually normalize relations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I was just thinking for purposes of the potential escaped slaves scenario. Being anti empire from the start would be a way to differentiate

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Danaru posted:

Once they get into melee range, I just get my dudes to dogpile the animal rather than pray they can actually hit a stationary target. Only trust your fists

There's a mod that lets pawns have sidearms, which I immediately installed when I saw it because WHY WOULDN'T THEY? Of course a hunter would carry a knife it's absurd to think they wouldn't. How are they finishing off those downed animals anyway - punching them to death?

OwlFancier posted:

You could set up a scenario where you have to prepare to fight off regular raids, and an ideology that abhors slavery but likes fighting I guess.

The Medieval mod start is a little like this - you begin with no food and are almost immediately attacked by the medieval faction you apparently split off from.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ooooooh! That’s dope, I really like it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I exclusively play tribal starts. I never, ever research greatbows.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Bows are hilarious when you get a few trigger-happy shooters with them and they just go plinking non-stop since their cooldown is practically zero. :allears:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Coolguye posted:

social impact is actually not useful at all for anyone who is not a leader; the only thing it changes beyond speech success rate is the % modifier for their social interactions with other pawns, which is a double-edged sword as it affects both deep conversations and insults.
Wait does this mean cowboy hats will cause more social fights or less on aggregate when placed on a low-social-skill pawn?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

ShadowHawk posted:

Wait does this mean cowboy hats will cause more social fights or less on aggregate when placed on a low-social-skill pawn?

It will cause more, in particular if they are put on an abrasive pawn. The more likely to cause social fights, the more you want a debuff on social impact.

A high social impact, abrasive pawn is Wulfrik from Warhamber Fantasy

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

e: Her mom:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

That baby ate her way out and is really happy there are slaves around, but sad she doesn't have cyber limbs yet, having been out of the womb for *five hours*. Get on it, goddamn, don't leave the poor kid to suffer!

isndl
May 2, 2012
Kid's lucky being born with the right beliefs or we could be seeing some serious apostasy penalties there. Still gets a social malus for not being chromed though.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

isndl posted:

I think you're supposed to be able to cover their ideology clothing demands with the simulated apparel function, but maybe it's one of the edge cases they missed during the 1.3 update.

It definitely seems like that's the intent, but I haven't been able to make it work.

For folks who've used SOS2, do its shuttles deprecate SRTS Expanded craft, or is there a reason to run both?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

SOS2 shuttles have much shorter range than SRTS shuttles but they're fast as hell and the uranium fuel pods they run on are trivial to make if you have a little uranium.

In my current colony I keep the SOS2 ones for short hops nearby or to and from my space ship but I use the SRTS ones for larger/longer trading runs around the map.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I haven't tried using SRTS shuttles with my ship, honestly. With my fission reactor and engines running on uranium fuel pods already I figured I might as well stick to SOS2 shuttles and remove chemfuel from the equation entirely. I do know that one of them throws a warning in the debug log during launch about a compatibility patch not yet available, presumably so that the SRTS shuttle can land in the shuttle bay like the SOS2 shuttle?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Last I checked SRTS ships don't land in the shuttle bay but they can still reach orbit and "land" anywhere on the map. You'll need space suits for anyone along for the ride though while they duck through an airlock. SOS2's shuttles are unsurprisingly much better integrated but the SRTS ships have way bigger range and (generally) larger cargo capacity, so they can still work well together.

Granted this may have changed in the meanwhile, last time I really did much with SOS2 it was after the last major patch and SRTS compatibility wasn't patched in yet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

It will cause more, in particular if they are put on an abrasive pawn. The more likely to cause social fights, the more you want a debuff on social impact.

A high social impact, abrasive pawn is Wulfrik from Warhamber Fantasy

i actually don't know if this is true. i don't know how a social fight chance is calculated and if social impact has any hand in it, directly or indirectly. if social fights become more likely as relationship trends to -100, then yes, it would have an indirect impact since social impact makes each insult knock off more relationship. but i've never looked at that code so i am not sure.

the actual answer - at least for this thread, since most folks are DLC-buyers - is that with ideology it doesn't matter, though. cowboy hats do not cover the face, ears, etc, and you can get that coverage from a broadwrap. it might not provide fantastic bulletproofing, but it's drat sight better than nothing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i just noticed the buried lede here

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Coolguye posted:

i just noticed the buried lede here

:stare:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Does anyone else get to a point where they’ve survived a good while, built a decent settlement but after discovering a bunch of tech and unlocking some new stuff, you realise you need to fundamentally reorganise your base and it’ll require tearing down whole structures and moving them and then deciding “gently caress it, I’ll start anew, making sure to make space”.

And then repeating when circumstances force you to throw up buildings quickly and haphazardly and you end up in the same situation :shepicide:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

PiCroft posted:

Does anyone else get to a point where they’ve survived a good while, built a decent settlement but after discovering a bunch of tech and unlocking some new stuff, you realise you need to fundamentally reorganise your base and it’ll require tearing down whole structures and moving them and then deciding “gently caress it, I’ll start anew, making sure to make space”.

And then repeating when circumstances force you to throw up buildings quickly and haphazardly and you end up in the same situation :shepicide:

This is why every Rimworld run I do includes... uh... too many hours meticulously planning out buildings shortly after the start of the game. It's a curse, but it's the only thing that has freed me from the cycle of "eh, gently caress it, just build something there --> oh god this looks terrible burn it all down."

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Dubwise put out a new mod recently, Dubs Central Heating.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2619214952

quote:

Central heating mod with boilers and radiators for more efficient heating, split piped air conditioning and freezers and ceiling fans with built in lights.

Standalone version of the central heating from my Bad Hygiene mod.

Can be used with the full Bad Hygiene mod and Bad Hygiene Lite

If this is combined with Dubs Bad Hygiene the heating and plumbing networks will be split

Converts Rimatomics reactor radiators into heat exchangers for central heating.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

PiCroft posted:

I honestly don't mind redesigning my base mid-run too much; it's much easier/faster/safer to build small early on and expand as you need to.

The only part I really have to make drat sure that I don't gently caress up the size/placement of is my storage room, because having to move/reorganize the storage room in a mid-late base takes literally days of nonstop hauling from all hands on deck.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I generally play in Mountain maps with infestations turned off. I find infestations annoying but also my base design is more interesting as my rooms follow the contours of the mountains to maximize farming lands. It helps control my impulse to just make a grid of 12x12 square rooms.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kestral posted:

This is why every Rimworld run I do includes... uh... too many hours meticulously planning out buildings shortly after the start of the game. It's a curse, but it's the only thing that has freed me from the cycle of "eh, gently caress it, just build something there --> oh god this looks terrible burn it all down."

yeah, this same situation is why i use a standard base layout. the big great hall that i posted a while back always ends up being the center of my colony, and i use a standard 15x15 building to handle other needs around it. i will happily compromise space to deal with stuff like an overhead mountain tile or something but the standard setup ensures i always have sufficient space with not overly long walks in a way that doesn't look ugly as sin (just boring).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
When I'm playing on flat maps or small hills I will shamelessly use dev mode to delete random singular tiles of overhead mountain roofing so I don't have to build around leaving one tile of it exposed and calling in a 500 hive infestation from that one tile.

It's part of the cost of having large hills or mountains but god drat is it stupid on flat maps and small hills.