Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Windows 11 looks like garbage to me, but apparently their launch event featured a "6D music experience" and a free NFT.

Somehow it seems appropriate for a Windows launch of one of the bad editions to have an NFT attached to it like a digital pog of shame.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/5/22711508/microsoft-windows-11-free-nft-launch-event-stream-6d-musical-experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://twitter.com/k_monkey1520/status/1443794889519640581

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I thought about this really hard and I don't believe it. This is just joke about seeing what boomers will believe and we're being laughed at.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I spent all week walking around the woods and looking at logs, bugs, and mushrooms, and I didn't see nothing about no nfts. Personally the experience made me doubt the whole concept was ever implemented. It's just posts on the internet.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Facebook Aunt posted:

I remember being taught in high school computer class in the 1980s that the "move" command was a lie. It didn't move anything. It would make a copy of the thing, and then erase the original. Cut and paste does the same thing. Not only is the copy not the original, the original doesn't even exist anymore.

I thought files were moved by changing the links to the address they live at. And a file with no links is considered deleted and cleaned up by garbage collection

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PhazonLink posted:

give money to environment after burning the environment?

We don't have to use the Ethereum Blockchain, or even any Blockchain. If I just run the clip through a hashing algorithm and sell the result as an NFT who's to say that 256 bit hex code doesn't count

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

omggg
https://twitter.com/Darklarik/status/1444740922542014464

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Why are you making GBS threads on your doormat instead of in a toilet?
:crossarms:/

Because all the toilet makers are hating on making GBS threads on doormats!
:goonsay:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

half of the youtubers and tiktoks on "trading" nfts explain selling it to themselves is a way to make it look like it’s more valuable in hopes someone else will buy it

this is why there’s not really any actual market of commissions from crypto

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have multiple hard drives, partitions, and file systems, so most often if I am moving a file it is copying the original to a new location and deleting the original.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought files were moved by changing the links to the address they live at. And a file with no links is considered deleted and cleaned up by garbage collection

You're right, that guy was taught lies. Unless the teacher specifically spoke about moving between drives and the nuance was lost to time.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Even by the time the jpeg lands on the first hard drive it's been copied multiple times from registers to other registers to RAM and back. There never was an original to begin with.

Incidentally, this is also why DRM is dumb as poo poo in general.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
To be fair, it's possible and even reasonable for an artist to declare that THIS version hosted HERE is the authentic article. Which is essentially what they're doing with NFTs. The problem is that literally no one gives a flying gently caress which one is the "authentic article" when it's good art, let alone this horseshit.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I mean I'm looking at these pervert lion things and I need to know, are you guys actively trying to find the stupidest thing you can find or are you just... gazing?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Prurient Squid posted:

I mean I'm looking at these pervert lion things and I need to know, are you guys actively trying to find the stupidest thing you can find or are you just... gazing?

There are also the monkey jpegs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have multiple hard drives, partitions, and file systems, so most often if I am moving a file it is copying the original to a new location and deleting the original.

What really sucks is when you get a file transfer accident and a whole directory comes out with a goatee

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Barudak posted:

What really sucks is when you get a file transfer accident and a whole directory comes out with a goatee

I'm sure, somehow, Bitcoin fixes this.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Zil posted:

I'll start the, aw gently caress it. I ain't doing crap.
Lol, I just remembered how someone created a reddit bot that scanned /r/bitcoin for threads about new crypto projects and then just posted "I'll start the wiki" in them.

It got dozens of sincere upvotes and positive replies each time, until they finally started to smell a rat around the 20th time it happened.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1445535086233849857?s=20

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

TATE MCRAE feels very teenroast.jpg to me.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'm pretty sure I played Tate McCrate and the Alien Stones on CGA DOS computers back in university.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Isn't Tate that one Microsoft AI project that turned violently racist upon being exposed to the internet?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That was Tay.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Taymato, Tatemato.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tay Tay

Tay del Tay

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
It certainly doesn't help that art value is completely and utterly irrational in the first place, some of Andy Warhol's most famous/valuable "paintings" are just silkscreens made by drugged up fuckboys.

There are certainly some technical achievements in some "important" artwork but your average modern painting is not being valued because of it's technical skill, composition, innovation, etc, it's that a bunch of rich people decided that it is expensive artwork.

The one that still absolutely baffles me is expensive photographs, at best you are just counting on the artists word that they are scarce but at the end of the day your 1/1 could easily be 1/50000.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 6, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Fine Art has pretty much always been a system for the 1% to launder money. NFTs are just opening that up to a wider audience.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Is this what it feels like to be old? To look at them and both recognize nobody, and think about how dumb most of their names are?

Or are they mostly irrelevant Tiktok stars?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sashimi posted:

Is this what it feels like to be old? To look at them and both recognize nobody, and think about how dumb most of their names are?

:thejoke:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Chris Chris Chris del Chris

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
mmmmmmmmm...mlurp

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sashimi posted:

Or are they mostly irrelevant Tiktok stars?

Lol.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Posting it on Twitter made it so that approx 1600 people downloaded a copy automatically and stored it on their computers.
You posting it here added a few hundred more to that.
And that guy paid 8 large.
For a pic of an old green lizard lion who likes sport lusting at something offscreen.
While I have it for free on my computer here to do whatever the gently caress I like.
No court in the land should convict the wife if she decides to murder his rear end.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Posting it on Twitter made it so that approx 1600 people downloaded a copy automatically and stored it on their computers.
For a pic of an old green lizard lion who likes sport lusting at something offscreen.
While I have it for free on my computer here to do whatever the gently caress I like.
No court in the land should convict the wife if she decides to murder his rear end.

here I am sport lusting at a hot tub. It's just out of frame, with my wife in it too

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

thank u

happyhippy posted:

Yeah but he has the hyperlink to the original, so there !!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

My favorite part of this image is that Colton loving Burpo is actually a real person (I don't think any of the others are?).

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

someone pointed out that the lion insignia on all the cartoon lions' shirts is the logo of the UK Independence Party

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Carpiss Bunson sounds like a Viz character (possibly meaningless reference outside the UK, but whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

My favorite part of this image is that Colton loving Burpo is actually a real person (I don't think any of the others are?).
Cool Shirtman and Mmm.. Mlurp are real, and strong, and my friends.