Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The thing a lot of people overlook is that with modern displays, higher framerates also means higher higher quality due to persistence blur, the blur caused by your brain when your eyes are tracking a moving object that is stuttering across the screen (even when you can't actually notice the stutter). So if you're turning on a setting that lowers your framerate without noticeably improving the visual fidelity, you're actually lowering the overall visual quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.antonline.com/Evga/Computers/Video_Cards/Graphic_Cards/1436194

3060 ti bundle

https://www.antonline.com/Evga/Computers/Video_Cards/Graphic_Cards/1436197

3070 ti bundle

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The only setting I tend to crank up to ultra are shadows, bad looking shadows stand out more than anything else.
If there's a specific setting for LOD/pop-in I try to max that too.
The rest tends to stay on simply high.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I see the 3070 back in stock there, FWIW.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The only setting I tend to crank up to ultra are shadows, bad looking shadows stand out more than anything else.
If there's a specific setting for LOD/pop-in I try to max that too.
The rest tends to stay on simply high.

Yeah same.

I must be getting old because drat if its not getting harder to tell the difference these days.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah same.

I must be getting old because drat if its not getting harder to tell the difference these days.

yeah when you get old your eyes see even less than the normal human maximum of 30 fps

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah when you get old your eyes see even less than the normal human maximum of 30 fps

:hmmyes:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

MarcusSA posted:

It's not you getting old, it's games being better built than they used to be. The places effort is being cut are much more optimized than they were 15 years ago.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
We are maxing out what you can you do with raster graphics, I don’t think we have improved much since crysis with texture packs. Pixar level raytracing is the only way forward.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Honestly not true, we're hardly scratching the surface of what could be done. The problem is that most games are chasing photorealism and photorealism is a poo poo target. There's an enormous amount of room to move forward and make truly beautiful stuff, but it requires actually good art direction and that's a rare thing.

Even in terms of lighting, I hesitate to say that the bag of tricks has run out. It just keeps getting more impressive, and even as we're moving into RT it seems like RT-specific trickery is going to be key.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wonder if we're gonna get GPUs bundled with Z690 motherboards

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Honestly not true, we're hardly scratching the surface of what could be done. The problem is that most games are chasing photorealism and photorealism is a poo poo target. There's an enormous amount of room to move forward and make truly beautiful stuff, but it requires actually good art direction and that's a rare thing.

Even in terms of lighting, I hesitate to say that the bag of tricks has run out. It just keeps getting more impressive, and even as we're moving into RT it seems like RT-specific trickery is going to be key.

Yeah, I wish there were more exploration of non-photorealistic styles in games. The cutting edge of graphics isn't only good for making stuff look like real life, Pixar themselves moved from rasterization to full bruteforce pathtracing despite rarely aiming for photorealism. Even when total realism isn't the goal, having a baseline of light behaving like it should is still a massive benefit to overall quality.

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 6, 2021

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wonder if we're gonna get GPUs bundled with Z690 motherboards

When they run out of Z590 ones probably. But not until then

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's cool to set things to Ultra. Sure its not the most efficient per dollar to buy parts to chase ultra settings, but im not runnin a fuckin coal mill here man im playing with my adult toys. The most expensive toy in any hobby is nearly always a lovely value and not required to enjoy the hobby. But if you like the fancy thing, who cares what other people think.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think people are misunderstanding that video. Nobody is saying you should turn down fancy graphical options if you can leave them on without a problem.

The issue is when "fancy" graphical options have literally no noticeable impact on visual fidelity while lowering frame rates.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Especially now that monitor refresh rates have generally outpaced the framerates you can expect to get on Ultra settings, there's nearly always something to be gained by dropping settings a little even on higher end GPUs

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i still want them on even if i cant tell they are on, what is the point of life if not to do that

i hope they add even stupider options. they cant stop until there is double ultra

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it also matters what you're playing

Like, go ahead and go Ultra on Horizon Zero Dawn or Days Gone because they're single-player games and getting another 5 FPS isn't going to help you all that much compared to wallowing in the spectacle of the game

But if it's Call of Battlefield then yeah drop it down a smidge for higher frames and lower input lag

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Like, go ahead and go Ultra on Horizon Zero Dawn or Days Gone because they're single-player games and getting another 5 FPS isn't going to help you all that much compared to wallowing in the spectacle of the game

But if it's Call of Battlefield then yeah drop it down a smidge for higher frames and lower input lag

Again, we are not talking about turning down the settings that make the game noticeably look better. We're talking about turning down the settings that have no noticeable impact to the visuals. There are many settings developers use nowadays that do barely anything at all but tank your performance. You can turn those on if you want very slightly sharper shadows or rocks in the distance that have more polygons than pixels, but as I said at the top of this page, higher frame rates = higher visual quality. If you want the best-looking game possible, it's usually beneficial to turn those settings down, actually. Even in singleplayer, story-based games.

There are exceptions to this, obviously. I gave Doom Eternal a test spin on my 3080 Ti, and even on Ultra Nightmare settings at 1440p with ray tracing turned on, I was getting 220 fps. Not much room for improvement there :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 6, 2021

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Exactly. Any online shooter I drop it down until I can get as close a steady 117FPS (120 Hz G-Sync) as possible without it looking absolutely ugly

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are exceptions to this, obviously. I gave Doom Eternal a test spin on my 3080 Ti, and even on Ultra Nightmare settings at 1440p with ray tracing turned on, I was getting 220 fps. Not much room for improvement there :v:

OTOH maxing out Doom Eternal on most cards is a trap because with RT it pushes the VRAM usage over 8GB and obliterates performance for no reason :v:

Texture pool settings are a trap, because past a certain point there's enough room in the pool to keep all necessary textures loaded at their highest quality and increasing it further only reduces the amount of streaming the engine needs to do. It's a setting that affects quality significantly up to a point, then becomes a minor performance gain if you increase it further, then becomes a performance cliff if you increase it too much.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cygni posted:

i still want them on even if i cant tell they are on, what is the point of life if not to do that

i hope they add even stupider options. they cant stop until there is double ultra

If there was an option to render an entire frame, throw it in the trash, and then do it all over again, and my GPU could still maintain the desired FPS? Hell yeah I’d turn it on. Call it “Double Proof Frame Distillation”

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

If there was an option to render an entire frame, throw it in the trash, and then do it all over again, and my GPU could still maintain the desired FPS? Hell yeah I’d turn it on. Call it “Double Proof Frame Distillation”

blend the second frame instead of throwing it in the trash and that's how you do super high quality motion blur, for the low low price of 2x or more the gpu load

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

Bad Munki posted:

repiv posted:

blend the second frame instead of throwing it in the trash and that's how you do super high quality motion blur, for the low low price of 2x or more the gpu load

Ultra High Cask Strength Blended Motion Blur(TM)

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
My EVGA 3080Ti came in a day earlier than expect, wahoo!

It's been a couple of years since I last swapped out GPUs, isn't there a recommended tool to do a clean install?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

My EVGA 3080Ti came in a day earlier than expect, wahoo!

It's been a couple of years since I last swapped out GPUs, isn't there a recommended tool to do a clean install?

Display Driver Uninstaller

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Regrettable posted:

Perfect, that's it! Thanks.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

KillHour posted:

I like when games let you turn everything up to 11 because presumably in 10 years when I remember the game exists, I can crank it all up and enjoy the stupidity.

My older 970 system was only used for WoW and original DVD-install Skyrim (mainly a rural bandwidth problem, not hardware issues). I had more fun within the mods/addons communities that kept me going on titles that old partly because you could crank those two up to mega-ultra-photo rez and still play smoothly. I have some screenshots from UltraGraphicMod Skyrim that are better looking than real-world waterfalls and trees unless you go to Fiji or something. I grew up with a Hatchie River swamp on our land and the Skyrim locations evoked that same melancholy feelings with the right visual mods active.

And the naked mods. I am still a goon living in my parents’ attic, of course.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Regrettable posted:

Is that needed even when the old card was an Nvidia, too? Can't you simply swap them?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

Is that needed even when the old card was an Nvidia, too? Can't you simply swap them?

You can but it can cause issues. Hell, just updating your drivers on the same GPU can cause conflicts that cause weird bugs in some games or lower performance and choosing the clean install option in the Nvidia installer won't necessarily fix them because it doesn't actually fully clean everything out. DDU does though.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Format c

Its the only way to be sure

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Honestly, my feeling is why not run DDU, especially when switching to a new card? It only takes a couple minutes and you know you're starting with a completely fresh driver install so everything should be working properly. I usually run it every few driver updates just to make sure nothing funky is going on and it has solved a lot of minor graphical bugs I've had in various games.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

space marine todd posted:

New York, babey!!

https://discord.com/invite/umcd

and check the best buy app

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

evga switching it up again

https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3477976&p=1

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Regrettable posted:

You can but it can cause issues. Hell, just updating your drivers on the same GPU can cause conflicts that cause weird bugs in some games or lower performance and choosing the clean install option in the Nvidia installer won't necessarily fix them because it doesn't actually fully clean everything out. DDU does though.

I straight up swapped from my 1080 to my 3080 Ti and it handled it 100% fine, I don't think I've ever had a driver update cause those kind of issues either. Although I also don't really keep any individual game profiles saved in the driver, its basically always maintained in stock setup with no third party utilities either.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, that's good. You should still run DDU before swapping cards. It's extremely fast and easy, and has no downsides.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

I straight up swapped from my 1080 to my 3080 Ti and it handled it 100% fine, I don't think I've ever had a driver update cause those kind of issues either. Although I also don't really keep any individual game profiles saved in the driver, its basically always maintained in stock setup with no third party utilities either.

Same, I swapped my 1060 for a Quadro A5000 (you read that right) with zero issues, despite the fact that this really shouldn't work in practice. I can't see how swapping between two consumers GPUs of the same company would affect anything at all.

And for anyone curious, the Quadro cards apparently work fine with the GeForce game ready drivers.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 6, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I've swapped between a 1650 super, 3060 ti, gtx 970, 1050 ti, and current 3070 (testing out parts for friends' rigs in my own PC first) without any problem. They all just worked.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
The problem is that these things Just Work until you find the one edge case months later when it turns out it didn't just work and it's a nightmare to troubleshoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Level 1 Thief posted:

The problem is that these things Just Work until you find the one edge case months later when it turns out it didn't just work and it's a nightmare to troubleshoot.

But that's the true PC master race experience. :confused: