Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Just a repeat of the US Dems playbook of the 90s, where they end up the party of big business and tough on crime and some of the melt unions, while the Republicans overture as the party of small/medium businesses that mostly sell flags and lovely employment conditions (while also being the party of big business).

The structural difference in the UK, is that the Tories are, and never really have been, the party of big business. They are at core the party of landlords. The spectrum runs from big aristocratic landowners down to owner-occupiers; this covers the full range of property-havers.

Big business presumably wants lower rents for its workers: a better politician than Starmer could maybe build a viable coalition on that basis. Workers and bosses have rather more common interests and room for compromise than renters and landlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I know this shouldnt be a surprise, but the tories are absolute fuckers.

Its part of the reason they are so popular, what with the majority of the British population being made up of spiteful old boomers/unthinking bootlickers.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

the sex ghost posted:

Lol this just reminded me of the week when the news and government couldn't decide what to call ISIS. We had ISIS, ISIL, so-called Islamic state, Daesh and so-called Daesh

What does that term even mean. Everything is "so-called", isn't it?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
https://twitter.com/Cassetteboy/status/1445643800664100864

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What does that term even mean. Everything is "so-called", isn't it?

Do you really not know or are you just being obtuse? Appending "so-called" is just up-fronting the question of legitimacy, e.g. encouraging the reader to question if there is such thing as an "Islamic State" if it has no external recognition

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do you really not know or are you just being obtuse? Appending "so-called" is just up-fronting the question of legitimacy, e.g. encouraging the reader to question if there is such thing as an "Islamic State" if it has no external recognition

Also to question whether they're actually Islamic, although nobody thinks about that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I looked it up. I hate it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

Also to question whether they're actually Islamic, although nobody thinks about that.

Very true, although I think most media are perfectly happy tarring all adherents of Islam as muslamic style terrorist operatives

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GrumpyPontyGirl/status/1445670009007607817

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1444580484726542346

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I looked it up and was delighted to discover that everyone's favourite fascism apologist is desperately trying to defend the honour of nick cohen.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I thought it sounded like he was trying to dig up dirt on him but I can't read a twitter discussion to save my life so probably confused.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/GlasgowCC/status/1445419804668710919

It's not only cheap, but it makes it look like Glasgoatse.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought it sounded like he was trying to dig up dirt on him but I can't read a twitter discussion to save my life so probably confused.

Jolyon Maugham is trying to dig up dirt on Nick Cohen, I was talking about Glenn Greenwald's desperate attempt to protect Nick Cohen.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I looked it up and was delighted to discover that everyone's favourite fascism apologist is desperately trying to defend the honour of nick cohen.

Jollyon is very much on the anti-Cohen team if that’s what you mean.

The absolute plot twist of 2021 was him discovering that trans people are under attack after the bell case and that he must now DESTROY ALL TERFS using POLITE LANGUAGE AND THE LEGAL SYSTEM.

Edit: ah, saw your post and it wasn’t.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
In a novel about Jolyon Maugham, the fox would represent a hamfisted metaphor for his middle class centrism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The TERF detector makes it a lot easier to see who's being disingenuous on a surprising number of issues.

StratGoatCom posted:

It's not only cheap, but it makes it look like Glasgoatse.
And again:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
A hell of a lot of car drivers just can’t understand how useless a badly connected cycle network really is. If you were to make sections of roads so dangerous drivers had to get out and walk no one would drive either.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Listen we painted a line on the road that car drivers ignore. Committed to cycle infrastructure

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

the sex ghost posted:

Listen we painted a line on the road that car drivers ignore. Committed to cycle infrastructure

*see as a single white line parking zone

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1445666514225356800?s=20

One well-targeted Paveway could have increased the sum total of happiness in these benighted islands by approx. 1 million percent.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Surprised they kept 'his predecessor' Gavin Williamson on there given they obviously invited him before he got sacked

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

One well-targeted Paveway could have increased the sum total of happiness in these benighted islands by approx. 1 million percent.

Went to double-check my (mistaken) belief that Paveway wasn't used any more before doing a :clancysay: response to this, and instead discovered the most Late Capitalism thing ever:

quote:

Raytheon subsequently sued Lockheed Martin in Arizona federal court alleging trademark infringement, Lockheed filed counterclaims in the suit. In September, 2014 the companies agreed that Raytheon is the exclusive owner of "Paveway™" for laser-guided bombs and related goods and services and that "Paveway" is a protectable trademark, but that Raytheon will license the mark to Lockheed for use in connection with single-mode laser-guided bomb kits.[12] The two companies compete each year for U.S. and foreign orders.[13]

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Laser guided bombs are so American.

The proper British way is gunpowder in the basement.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds suspiciously Catholic.

The proper British way is barring the doors and piling burning hay bales around the outside.

e: Or if you want to be all civilized

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
"laser-guided bombs and related goods and services"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1445745336396382208?t=Llu5n7Tv14tpRviXFhW1vQ&s=19

lol

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wait Nicola Sturgeon is almost more popular UK wide than the leaders of Labour and the Liberals combined?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
While searching for the date of the stagecoach strike - October 18th it has been discovered that unite are being a shower of shites/cooperate shills over it to the shock of no one at all

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/10/03/stag-o03.html

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

lmao delicious

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

keep punching joe posted:

Yes,

Living Wage is a political campaign to highlight to employers the bare minimum a person needs to live without suffering financial hardship.

National Living Wage is a rebranding of the National Minimum Wage by George Osborne (so that they can fool people into thinking that the minimum wage is enough to live on). It is significantly lower that the 'Living Wage' recommendation.

Therefore, by subtracting the value of the "Living Wage" from the "National Living Wage", we can finally determine the value of ~the "National"~. Turns out it's negative $0.59

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wait Nicola Sturgeon is almost more popular UK wide than the leaders of Labour and the Liberals combined?
People in England know gently caress all about scotpol and she comes across well / anti tory in debates whenever she's allowed on telly. I suspect it's a case of her flaws not being well advertised except during elections when the Sun starts screaming about a LAB/SNP coalition, and in the past they've always brought up Alex Salmond when doing that.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

People in England know gently caress all about scotpol and she comes across well / anti tory in debates whenever she's allowed on telly. I suspect it's a case of her flaws not being well advertised except during elections when the Sun starts screaming about a LAB/SNP coalition, and in the past they've always brought up Alex Salmond when doing that.

I guess I'm just impressed that someone who's sole political objective is to bring about the end of the UK is more popular than Sir Flagshagging Copfelator.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

I guess I'm just impressed that someone who's sole political objective is to bring about the end of the UK is more popular than Sir Flagshagging Copfelator.
There's got to be a fair-sized contingent (me amongst them) in England/Wales/NI who look at the state of the country and go "yup, bring it on."

We'd at least find the exact number of years when "this union was just a phase, an experiment, nothing permanent" becomes "this union is eternal and indivisible!" in the eyes of the flagshaggers.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

CWS nails it again

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1445732628074618884

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

When I see fellow columnists defending a groper, usually just assume that they are the same.

https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1444740045852786690

Amazing how quickly and frantically journos circle the wagons when one of their own gets accused. If #metoo finally hits the UK journalism industry it will be brutal.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

You can get a lot of popularity by actually being willing to badmouth the tories.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

"laser-guided bombs and related goods and services"

Grimdark King Of The Hill remake.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Owen made a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hof_xx7MvO4

Pretty damning indictment of journalism that I think he's the only person doing this kind of low-hanging fruit stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Made it as far as the point where tories started talking, then had to turn it off

so about 59 seconds