Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean it’s entirely justifiable to infer that the populations were different due to desertification isolating parts of a once larger population in Africa

But whether they are separate “species”?? The word doesn’t really mean anything so 🤷‍♂️

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Going by acoup tho that might just be because elephants aren't exactly a winning warfare strategy.

yeah they're great for fighting people who've never dealt with them before, especially for disabling cavalry by simply spooking the horses real bad, but they become a very nasty liability once your enemy figures out any kind of counterplay at all

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are elephants much good as a beast of burden? I wouldn't be surprised if their big stomping feet would screw up fields so it wouldn't be good for plowing, and I haven't heard much about elephants hauling big loads. As personal mounts, they're great for showing off or hosting a group of people at once, but horses are faster and more useful for just about everything else.

And then their gestation period is really long so it's really impractical to do all that much with them in general. Definitely not a good rate of return for a food animal.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I read a book about pre-British India a while back and it pointed out that access to the elephant market of Eastern India was a real big thing to the rulers of the northern plain who didn't have wild elephants in their areas any more, but that might just have been because you needed a certain amount of elephants for diplomatic and ceremonial purposes, rather than any real wartime necessities (unlike with the horse market of the northwest which was obviously crucial for waging war)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Indian elephants get used for a bunch of labor work and were fairly useful in breaking down early fortifications.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SlothfulCobra posted:

Are elephants much good as a beast of burden? I wouldn't be surprised if their big stomping feet would screw up fields so it wouldn't be good for plowing, and I haven't heard much about elephants hauling big loads.

Elephants have proven useful for bursts of great strength (like ripping out big trees) but for regular transport no they just need too much food to be efficient.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Going by acoup tho that might just be because elephants aren't exactly a winning warfare strategy.

Antigonus I. Monophthalmos probably thought so too.

I just love the nicknames and titles of the Diadochoi. Antigonus "the one-eyed", Seleucus "the victor", Ptolemy "the savior", …

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Telsa Cola posted:

Indian elephants get used for a bunch of labor work and were fairly useful in breaking down early fortifications.

I'm enjoying this mental image. Elephant just comes walking over to a barricaded position, pulling out posts and poo poo like "no. Nope. None of that. No fortifications, thank you."

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Fish of hemp posted:

Did you mean Kingdom of Heaven?

I still maintain that the Director's cut of it is Ridley Scott's last good film.

I would agree, the director’s cut is a vastly different film and makes a whole lot more sense

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

euphronius posted:

But whether they are separate “species”?? The word doesn’t really mean anything so 🤷‍♂️

I mean, for all that there are a lot of exceptions and edge cases, the word does have a precise definition, and that definition holds something like 99% of the time.

And the three extant species of elephants do fit that definition, in that they never interbreed.

(Apparently various extinct species of elephants did, but even then it was only with select other elephant species.)

But saying that the word "species" doesn't really mean anything is pretty incorrect.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just because its exact definition is more nuanced and contextual than high school made it out to be doesn't make it completely meaningless, much like "The Roman Empire."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Brawnfire posted:

I'm enjoying this mental image. Elephant just comes walking over to a barricaded position, pulling out posts and poo poo like "no. Nope. None of that. No fortifications, thank you."

Pretty much how it goes. Properly trained elephants are like having construction machinery thousands of years early.

And while impractical for most purposes, riding around on an elephant is cool as gently caress.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
*Taps microphone*

Elephant cataphracts.

With huge blades mounted to the tusks.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I don't think we can discount the usage of elephants in warfare just because they didn't perform super well against the Romans. They didn't fully disappear from European/Mediterranean warfare until humans extincted the tameable African species and the Med lost access to Indian elephants with the rise of Rome and the Parthians/Sassanids. India and Southeast Asia just kept on using them for another teo thousand years: that doesn't scream "ineffective" to me. They're more specialized than cavalry and a not insignificant part of their value is tied up in prestige, but they're effective on the battlefield too.

I mean, in the ancient world Pyrrhus, Hannibal, and all the successors used them to good effect against disciplined opponents, including Rome, on multiple occasions. When elephantry fails, it usually involves charging them headlong into disciplined blocks of heavy infantry supported by missiles, which is also generally a bad idea to do with cavalry and we don't say horses are useless.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Another instance where we can relate to the German tanks of world war 2,big, heavy, and scary, but unreliable and prone to breakdowns and consuming a ton if resources. Also during the crossing of the alps, the snow got a lot of them, just like the invasion of the USSR

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Chopstix posted:

Another instance where we can relate to the German tanks of world war 2,big, heavy, and scary, but unreliable and prone to breakdowns and consuming a ton if resources. Also during the crossing of the alps, the snow got a lot of them, just like the invasion of the USSR

And fire was an effective way of dealing with them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FishFood posted:

I don't think we can discount the usage of elephants in warfare just because they didn't perform super well against the Romans. They didn't fully disappear from European/Mediterranean warfare until humans extincted the tameable African species and the Med lost access to Indian elephants with the rise of Rome and the Parthians/Sassanids. India and Southeast Asia just kept on using them for another teo thousand years: that doesn't scream "ineffective" to me. They're more specialized than cavalry and a not insignificant part of their value is tied up in prestige, but they're effective on the battlefield too.

I mean, in the ancient world Pyrrhus, Hannibal, and all the successors used them to good effect against disciplined opponents, including Rome, on multiple occasions. When elephantry fails, it usually involves charging them headlong into disciplined blocks of heavy infantry supported by missiles, which is also generally a bad idea to do with cavalry and we don't say horses are useless.

Yes, exactly. Elephants were used in warfare up to the nineteenth century in Asia, and well into the twentieth century if you count various armies using them for transportation.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 6, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You cannot tell me somewhere in the 21st century that some warlord hasn't tried to put a machine gun on an elephant

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
guns are unfortunately pretty good against elephants

downout
Jul 6, 2009

CoolCab posted:

i think it was an earlier version of the thread (or maybe HoR? can't remember) that commented that it was the most roman solution to the naval problem imaginable: build a road at it and keep marching legions over that road at the problem until it surrenders or dies.

Just saving this post for posterity. (Mine - uhh my grandparents)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

You cannot tell me somewhere in the 21st century that some warlord hasn't tried to put a machine gun on an elephant

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Triceratops is the one dinosaur I always wished dodged the asteroid because it would be amazing to see an ancient army just bulldoze another with them. They’re like elephants with built shields and spears!

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Triceratops is the one dinosaur I always wished dodged the asteroid because it would be amazing to see an ancient army just bulldoze another with them. They’re like elephants with built shields and spears!

This, but with those huge S.American Murderbirds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Molentik posted:

Giant murderbirds still exist. They’re called cassowaries.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A cassowary is just a turkey with delusions of grandeur. I could take one

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gaius Marius posted:

A cassowary is just a turkey with delusions of grandeur. I could take one

Take a look at their razor sharp claws again, friend.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That's the "wary" part

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
wikipedia only cites three recorded deaths, i think emus have more kills than that.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

CoolCab posted:

guns are unfortunately pretty good ———— elephants

Fixed

https://youtu.be/8c0Kugn_y0w

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Molentik posted:

I want the human-sized penguins.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

How to Invent Everything routinely brought up giant wombats as an ideal candidate for domestication and companionship

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FishFood posted:

The real problem with elephants is logistical. Elephants need a lot more food and more human handlers than horses do, plus they’re impossible to breed in captivity.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
And the last cassowary death in like 1910 was a child, killed after the victims brother tried to hit the cassowary with a stick. They can defend themselves well with and even kill with their claws but their ferocity is exagerrated, leave them alone and they will respond in kind.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Falukorv posted:

And the last cassowary death in like 1910 was a child, killed after the victims brother tried to hit the cassowary with a stick. They can defend themselves well with and even kill with their claws but their ferocity is exagerrated, leave them alone and they will respond in kind.

drat, that cassowary sent a loving message.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

FishFood posted:

https://collections.royalarmouries.org/object/rac-object-1761.html

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The first iterations of those were very well known for not having a machinegun on them, which proved to be a bit of a problem :hist101:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Falukorv posted:

One killed a dude in Florida just a couple of years ago.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

One killed a dude in Florida just a couple of years ago.

It isn't really fair to count Florida men though. They're killed by everything eventually.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Florida man does not die, he will rise again stronger, with a lust for avian blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If I die by a bird I’d be so embarrassed that I would prefer it be reported I died from an impacted bowel movement.

loving oversized general tsao chicken platter.