Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RodShaft posted:

I'm too stingy with Missiles. Any "limited" resource in videogames really. I need to work on that.

Can't use those missiles, you might need them later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

chumbler posted:

Can't use those missiles, you might need them later.

That's my mindset. I use them on bosses almost exclusively. It's really bad. I've never run out or even been low on them.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RodShaft posted:

I'm too stingy with Missiles. Any "limited" resource in videogames really. I need to work on that.

Missiles are not elixirs, and they aren't even limited. :v:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I got a preorder for the Special Edition of Dread from Walmart, which they later lowered the price of to the regular $60 for some reason as a 'price match'. I'm not sure what, if anything, is actually going to arrive on Friday but cool if its a $30 off Special Edition.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 5, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Gamespot: we tried it, yeah it's bad (something everyone already knew)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FCtAdnjK7M

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Missiles are not elixirs, and they aren't even limited. :v:

But what if you run out and there's a door you need to open?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chumbler posted:

But what if you run out and there's a door you need to open?

Go find a recharge station. It's like a shop, except it's free.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

TaurusOxford posted:

Go find a recharge station. It's like a shop, except it's free.

Yeah but what if I'm too dumb to do that

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RC Cola posted:

Then stick to David Cage games.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Look. I KNOW there's no reason to be stingy with them, but knowing it doesn't break the habit. It's ingrained in how I play games from decades of "here's the good weapon you get 3 shots till the end of the round"

For some reason missiles fell into that category in my broken brain and I never retrained it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I was going to suggest the planets actually send her a bill for using their infrastructure and then I realized almost anything Samus travels to ends up being destroyed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Amazon says my copy's being delivered on the 13th. They're never usually late with pre-orders. loving Brexit.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Missles in Metroid are weirdly the one thing I don't hoard in video games. I'm awful in RPGs because I refuse to buy anything lest I find it free somewhere. Yet here I spam missiles all the time

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the games just throw the things at you constantly all the time to the point where you can basically use them on every enemy and still not really run out

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah literally the only limit to missiles is how many you can hold at a time.

Like when I beat Ridley as a kid I didn’t actually have enough misslrs to kill him

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

RC Cola posted:

you can do it. i believe in you

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I liked the melee counter mechanic in Samus Returns. Also the scanner thing. That game was great and I can't wait to see where Dread takes the gameplay.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

mastajake posted:

I liked the melee counter mechanic in Samus Returns. Also the scanner thing. That game was great and I can't wait to see where Dread takes the gameplay.

Youre one sick puppy pal

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Honest question time, I've been playing a lot of Fusion and Zero Mission lately (Don't have a switch for Dread, but got a used DS recently, and those are 2 of the 4 games I have for it), and does anyone feel like some of the puzzles for items in those games were... too hard? Maybe I'm too much of an old man, but some of them require a lot of shinesparking and perfect reflexes and... I don't have that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

people say that literally all the time lol

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Zero Mission's pickups require some intense precision and execution.

I found Fusion's to be more lenient, there's some shinesparking, but those puzzles have absolutely nothing on ZM's which requires a lot of storage chaining. That being said, the hard part of Fusion's collectibles more often than not is actually finding them.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Honest question time, I've been playing a lot of Fusion and Zero Mission lately (Don't have a switch for Dread, but got a used DS recently, and those are 2 of the 4 games I have for it), and does anyone feel like some of the puzzles for items in those games were... too hard? Maybe I'm too much of an old man, but some of them require a lot of shinesparking and perfect reflexes and... I don't have that.

Tween Endy here had trouble with them too, don't worry. But I made up for it with patience. And being on a road trip helped.

I tried the Chozodia shinespark one a few weeks ago when I streamed all the 2D games and after messing it up like twice I said screw it

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Where the hecks all the cool new art for this game?!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Re: Length

9:45 IGT, 49% item collection rate. Hard mode unlocks upon completion.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Like a lot of people I've been replaying through the mainline series over the last few weeks. I actually didn't even own a Switch, and wasn't really even sure if I'd get one right away to play Dread, but then my wife surprised my with one out of nowhere this weekend as an early Christmas present. I instantly bought it and downloaded so that I'm ready to go for the release release. I've been avoiding trailers and other info about the game, so I'm going in pretty much blind, but just the idea of a new Metroid got me excited to play through the series again.

I'd never played Zero Mission (I played and beat the original way back in the day on the NES thanks to Nintendo Power), so that was a real treat. I hadn't played any version of 2 either, and decided to give AM2R a try, which I thought was fantastic. I was surprised how much of Super came back to me when I got to that, and ended up getting 100% items (using a guide to find the last handful), which I'd never actually done before.

I'm playing Fusion right now. I played the hell out of that game on release, to the point that I even managed to do a 1% item run, but it's been so long since I've touched it that it almost seems new.

I'm considering playing the Prime Trilogy as well, but that would probably involve messing around with Emulators since I don't own a Wii or Wii U. Has there been any word on those rumors from awhile back that a Switch version of the trilogy was in the works?

Either way, I'm excited as hell to start up a brand new Metroid in a few days.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jokymi posted:

I'm considering playing the Prime Trilogy as well, but that would probably involve messing around with Emulators since I don't own a Wii or Wii U. Has there been any word on those rumors from awhile back that a Switch version of the trilogy was in the works?

Either way, I'm excited as hell to start up a brand new Metroid in a few days.

The most recent "word" is that Nintendo only plans to do a remaster of Prime 1 for now instead of the trilogy, but take that with the same fistful of salt as the trilogy news.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RodShaft posted:

How do you beat anything without using missiles, like every metroid is built around using them to kill stuff quicker then the beam

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I’ve gotten the secret message in Fusion that requires extremely precise shinesparking and it was not fun. Satisfying, but not fun.

As for Zero Mission, yes they really pushed it to the extreme and it’s very tedious. Clearly Fusion wasn’t enough for those sickos. That’s probably my biggest complaint about Zero Mission, how not fun getting 100% is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Game real good:

https://twitter.com/Stealth40k/status/1445737897735307267?t=TvBpQc2MZrs8db_F1mMZiw&s=19

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I love arbitrarily selected numbers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Gamespot going hard

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
8 is a "the reviewer got stuck and thinks the game is too hard"

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I replayed Fusion last year but I haven't really touched Zero Mission probably in 15 years. I 100% Zero Mission at least twice and while some of the puzzles are tricky I wasn't throwing my game boy across the room or anything.

I'm actually kind of afraid to play it now, fearing that my reflexes have gone bad in the intervening time. Although I did 100% the Messenger a couple of years ago and some of the optional stuff in that is pretty brutal too.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Bleck posted:

There’s a few sevens where it’s “I got lost for too long and it’s clearly the games fault I didn’t use my map to figure out where I was”
Still if it holds at the 87-90 range that’s honestly a lot better then I was expecting, 2D games aren’t usually reviewed kindly these days unless they are cheap indie games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bleck posted:

I actually went and read the review and it’s was mostly positive like they only had one real complaint so I think Gamespot just used a real rating system?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

review scoring systems are kind of halfway dogshit anyways and i'd rather not play the game of 'oh they didn't give a game i want a perfect score so obviously they're bad at it'

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Disappointed that it's reportedly around 10 hours. Hollow Knight has spoiled me.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Johnny Joestar posted:

review scoring systems are kind of halfway dogshit anyways and i'd rather not play the game of 'oh they didn't give a game i want a perfect score so obviously they're bad at it'

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that calling poo poo like hard bosses and tricky environmental puzzles to solve design flaws in a Metroid game seems a bit off the mark.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gamespot going hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYFZwzo7qlQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7VPHEbEUwI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Frankston posted:

Disappointed that it's reportedly around 10 hours. Hollow Knight has spoiled me.

Can't wait to spend $90 Canadian fun bux.