Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Also my logitech keyboard died last night, i need a recommendation for a decent bluetooth/wireless keyboard for windows. I tend to go with logitech but i'm up for something new

I’m a big fan of my mk850 keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The Fool posted:

I’m a big fan of my mk850 keyboard

I had the g613, but it's apparently not working anymore. I am thinking this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DHNX18W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i'm using my apple bluetooth keyboards now while i'm deprived of it so i think i'll stick with wired this time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

I’ve told Intune that my laptop should be running Windows 11, let’s see what the upgrade process looks like

FWIW I've followed my usual protocol and upgraded my old laptop as soon as the public betas became available and did my desktop as soon as RTM showed up in Windows Update. Two for two on smooth upgrades with no significant impact other than having to set the start button back to the left side. I feel like most of my users won't notice whenever it comes time to upgrade production machines.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's also a keyboard thread here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825351

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Whichever goon it was that worked for twitch, you have my goondolances.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah fairly sizable Twitch leak. Failed Amazon security controls? That’s a rough day

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

Whichever goon it was that worked for twitch, you have my goondolances.

No idea if MFA phone numbers were part of the leak, but I was just talking with a friend about MFA phone numbers in general being a really great way to get a whole bunch of people doxxed. I know not every company had people's best interest in mind in getting people to hand over their phone number for MFA, but even ignoring that, in the push to get more people secured up, we've created a pretty awful dataset floating around.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The bullshit on returning to the office has increased at my office.

Not only do they want everyone back in the office 4 days a week now, but all calls are to now be video calls. For.... reasons.

Got a full time wfh offer that's only a $10k pay cut. Inclined to take it now.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Got a full time wfh offer that's only a $10k pay cut. Inclined to take it now.

Do it :yotj:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I would take a 10k pay cut to stay remote in a heartbeat.

Did your company publish any official communication on vaccine and testing requirements in accordance with the upcoming federal requirements (assuming you have 100+ employees)? If not, I would press HR on that. They don't get to have dessert until they've finished their meal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I work for a manufacturing company and HR at my job said they're waiting for OSHA.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I would take a 10k pay cut to stay remote in a heartbeat.

I've been saying this since I started my current job (In July). On-Site 5 days a week blows chunks after doing WFH for nearly 2 years. What am I 5 years old?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

jaegerx posted:

Also my logitech keyboard died last night, i need a recommendation for a decent bluetooth/wireless keyboard for windows. I tend to go with logitech but i'm up for something new

https://hhkeyboard.us/happyhacking/pro-hybrid/

but also, we have a keyboard thread...
Join us!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825351

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So my main gig is Director at infosec for a hospital chain. Today I was informed that our chief medical officers are putting on Covid Q&A's for departments to attend, to list, and ask questions. Pretty normal things we have done a few times now.

The unique thing about this is that we are about to put in place Vaccine requirements for employment for all employees, not just patient facing staff. We know that because a few of our hospitals are in some red states, we are going to have staff who buck against this.

I have been verbally directed to monitor these meetings for "questions" and "comments" coming from personal that seem anti-vax in nature. I am suppose to instruct my team to put them on a watch list as well as put into place teams and email filters to catch communication of anti-vax materials and conversations. I was told in new more words that "We are going to root out those who are endangering our employees and patients."

No clue if this is legal. I also know I don't care.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's absolutely legal. Having brain worms is not a protected class and there is no expectation of privacy in corporate communication channels.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So today I turned down an offer. My previous 6 month fixed term job ended last of September and I'm in something like 5 or 6 processess (multiple interviews) right now. The place sounded nice on the initial interview, but today I had lunch with the person with whom I would have worked it and there sure were quite a few warning signs. Troubleshoot everything and anything related to Goolge Cloud for tons of customers, also train them in its use and also "train yourself into an architect role asap". When the dude said "I do a lot of overtime and sometimes in the weekends" I knew that I wouldn't want to work there (in the first interview they said they do the 37,5 hours/week which is normal here in Finland) . I left my pre-fixed term job because I almost had a burn-out and I'm not ready to jump back into the mince grinder. We'll see how the other opportunities turn out but something is likely.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm 100% sure that everyone at the company signed an Acceptable Use Policy (or similar agreement) when it comes to company owned computing resources with some sort of verbiage that says communications may be monitored, no expectation of privacy, etc.

I pretend my boss is watching every single thing I do on my company owned devices and company provided software/communication tools. Everything I do is monitored and archived anyway.

If you need to CYA, ask for a memo from legal saying it's OK to do. One would assume they've ran this by legal.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Sickening posted:

So my main gig is Director at infosec for a hospital chain. Today I was informed that our chief medical officers are putting on Covid Q&A's for departments to attend, to list, and ask questions. Pretty normal things we have done a few times now.

The unique thing about this is that we are about to put in place Vaccine requirements for employment for all employees, not just patient facing staff. We know that because a few of our hospitals are in some red states, we are going to have staff who buck against this.

I have been verbally directed to monitor these meetings for "questions" and "comments" coming from personal that seem anti-vax in nature. I am suppose to instruct my team to put them on a watch list as well as put into place teams and email filters to catch communication of anti-vax materials and conversations. I was told in new more words that "We are going to root out those who are endangering our employees and patients."

No clue if this is legal. I also know I don't care.

Just out of curiosity...any new stuff at your more interesting gig? I swear I check this thread at least 50% of the time because of how incredible that is

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I fully expect these to also be the type of people to pitch essential oil MLMs to horribly ill patients.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

unbutthurtable posted:

Just out of curiosity...any new stuff at your more interesting gig? I swear I check this thread at least 50% of the time because of how incredible that is

Its been really unexciting because crazy ciso has been on vacation. The last week of the audit, a full week after telling me I couldn't be off the week the CEO mandated the company to be off, she took a week off herself without telling me.

This is delicious for the obvious reasons. I have no idea what the status of the audit is and why she chose to go on vacation for the last week of it considering she is the only person engaging the auditors. She has sent me phone based emails asking for last minute poo poo, I have sent what she asked for, but otherwise heard nothing. I am really curious to ask her why I couldn't at least be informed before she leaves on vacation as I am her only employee. I am also curious on why I wouldn't take off during the audit then she chooses to do it herself. So many questions.

She gets back tomorrow and I am sure the madness will resume.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

unbutthurtable posted:

I may come off as a jerk, and I know Sickening doesn't care, but keep in mind we've gotten nothing corroborating from him -- I think it's possible to provide small snippets of something sanitized that could give the stories some credence, not to mention more entertainment.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Inner Light posted:

I may come off as a jerk, and I know Sickening doesn't care, but keep in mind we've gotten nothing corroborating from him -- I think it's possible to provide small snippets of something sanitized that could give the stories some credence, not to mention more entertainment.

My boss is incredibly easy to dox. I would love to give snippets of audio, I would love to give more details, but I can't do that until I am no longer employeed by these people because Goons WILL dig, they WILL send emails to the org, because that is what GOONS do.

Trust me in that once these paychecks stop flowing, that this lady and her actions will make a ton of sense.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sickening posted:

My boss is incredibly easy to dox. I would love to give snippets of audio, I would love to give more details, but I can't do that until I am no longer employeed by these people because Goons WILL dig, they WILL send emails to the org, because that is what GOONS do.

Trust me in that once these paychecks stop flowing, that this lady and her actions will make a ton of sense.

Fair enough, nevermind then. It's a shame people are jerks and I know you're right.

For your sake though I hope they never stop flowing until you retire!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Inner Light posted:

Oh come on now. A little bit of mystery in life is fun, nobody ought to feel any need to dox themselves. And while the story is eminently believable and plausible, who gives a hoot! It’s entertaining and that’s all that matters.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I encourage you not to post anything identifying even once the gig is over. Zero good can come of it. The only downside is that goons might not believe you. There's no sense risking personally identifying yourself.

There's also not a lot of point in asking why she felt it was okay to take the week off when you couldn't. The answer is "Because I can, and gently caress you." She is not going to care that she's a hypocrite.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah you don't actually owe anybody anything in this dead comedy forum

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I would love the curtain to be lifted and know who this crazy person is IRL instead of just words sickening types.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At the end of the day any shitweasel with an account can come in here and put two and two together to start doxxing people, so we're all better off not being too specific.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been dealing with a really strange PC problem at the new place. Two users with identical Dell towers both experienced the issue within a week or two of one another. At power up the power button light comes on, and that's it. No hard drive activity light, NIC light blinks. Hit the power button again and it immediately shuts off. PSU self-test works fine. Each was given a spare, different model Dell that worked normally with all the same accessories plugged in.

Here's where it gets weirder...

If you connect the problem PCs somewhere else they work normally. At power up there's immediate hard drive light activity, POST, totally normal. I took one of the machines back to my office and checked for recent Windows and Dell updates, but there was nothing from just before the problem occurred. The user's both have large 4k screens and at my desk I was using a smaller HD one so I took the opportunity to update the video driver which was quite old in case it was somehow related to the displays.

Took it back to the user's desk and only plugged in power, network and one monitor. Same problem. Power light comes on, NIC light blinks steadily, no hard drive activity.

Unplugged the network and monitor, tried again with only the power cord plugged in. And it boots. Immediate hard drive light activity. Waited a moment, plugged the network and displays in and everything is working normally.

All the switches are PoE and I'm wondering if there's a weird power issue that's somehow preventing booting, because I don't see how the monitor could have been responsible. I haven't had a chance yet to try the other problem PC but I expect a similar result.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 7, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

guppy posted:

I encourage you not to post anything identifying even once the gig is over. Zero good can come of it. The only downside is that goons might not believe you. There's no sense risking personally identifying yourself.

Yuuuuup. This is good advice.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just had a 20 minute conversation with the CTO that was initially about something urgent but then turned into him saying how happy he was for me being promoted here, it was a weird experience given that I haven't spent more than a few minutes talking to him in the two years I've been here. Not a negative thing, just weird.

I just want to get the drat thing signed already.

E: The funny thing is that he said that my manager says I've been knocking it out of the park, while I have been half-assing it for the past year and a half. Which says how overqualified I am for what I have been doing.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 7, 2021

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I was really prepared for the worst, but turns out it's just a thread about choosing a high quality keyboard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am up late because I am a silly person and in my boredom I check my side gig email with crazy Ciso. She is coming back to work tomorrow and it seems she is going all in on having written documentation for every security group we have.

I am going to press her on this because its dumb on so many levels. At best, I can generate her automated reports on security groups and their descriptions to be emailed to her on a regular basis. I am in fact not going put every security group to a wiki and constantly update it. I am also not going to automate wiki bullshit for this either.

She is going to have to fire me because I am not going to do this thing that serves no real purpose.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was really prepared for the worst, but turns out it's just a thread about choosing a high quality keyboard.

I am glad someone cares about keyboards this much because I never could.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
How does a person like that get a C-level IT executive title with no hands on IT experience or knowledge? I really need to get into management...

What is their level of technical knowledge? I would think you could easily bullshit them and manipulate them if they were this incompetent.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Took it back to the user's desk and only plugged in power, network and one monitor. Same problem. Power light comes on, NIC light blinks steadily, no hard drive activity.

Unplugged the network and monitor, tried again with only the power cord plugged in. And it boots. Immediate hard drive light activity. Waited a moment, plugged the network and displays in and everything is working normally.

All the switches are PoE and I'm wondering if there's a weird power issue that's somehow preventing booting, because I don't see how the monitor could have been responsible. I haven't had a chance yet to try the other problem PC but I expect a similar result.

That sounds like some odd issue with the outlet. Can you have an electrician look at it?

You can check the PoE switches (if they’re Cisco at least) with show power inline command and see if it’s erroneously sending power when it shouldn’t be to that port, though I doubt it is, you never know though I guess.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The outlet was my first thought, but both machines are plugged into an under-desk UPS, and had the same symptoms plugged in straight into the wall socket, and so far one booted up just fine as long as the AC was the only thing plugged into it. Once it booted I plugged in everything else and it remained working. It's a strange problem, one I've never seen before.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Dick Trauma posted:

The outlet was my first thought, but both machines are plugged into an under-desk UPS, and had the same symptoms plugged in straight into the wall socket, and so far one booted up just fine as long as the AC was the only thing plugged into it. Once it booted I plugged in everything else and it remained working. It's a strange problem, one I've never seen before.

What about a different well functioning machine plugged into that socket?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DropsySufferer posted:

How does a person like that get a C-level IT executive title with no hands on IT experience or knowledge? I really need to get into management...

What is their level of technical knowledge? I would think you could easily bullshit them and manipulate them if they were this incompetent.

Our old director didnt have a whole lot of experience with IT, he was just a people manager. How you can get an executive position while not knowing anything on the field AND not knowing how to manage people is beyond me though

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

It’s a club and you are not in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
To some extent. I've known C's that got in by dumb luck, lost their job and are not able to get another C position. Both my bosses are C's and they did not start here as C's but it's way easier to make that transition at a startup like we were at the time. I'd bet it's mostly cronyism though