Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Frankston posted:

Disappointed that it's reportedly around 10 hours. Hollow Knight has spoiled me.

i'm glad to hear it isn't super long, especially in light of how much hollow knight was padded out with bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

10-12 hours without getting 100% is a very nice length for a Metroid game.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that calling poo poo like hard bosses and tricky environmental puzzles to solve design flaws in a Metroid game seems a bit off the mark.

That Washington Post review saying a big negative is the fact that you can't progress until you figure out what to do or beat an enemy and giving it a 7/10 is just :psyduck:

Like... I don't care about review scores but that's just dumb.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i'm glad to hear it isn't super long, especially in light of how much hollow knight was padded out with bullshit

Agreed, for me Hollow Knight's length did not do it credit, 10 hours is the ideal length for a 2D platformer for me

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I think that makes it the longest of the 2D Metroids. As long as there's plenty to explore beyond that I'm happy.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/mrsambarlow/status/1445761428900618256?s=21

:colbert:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Someday Castlevania will be back. You’ll see. You’ll all see!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SettingSun posted:

Someday Castlevania will be back. You’ll see. You’ll all see!

it's already back it's just called bloodstained now

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A hollow imitation!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The genre is called a Metroidstained now, sorry.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

People like Bloodstained, right?

Metroidstained

Edit: uh poo poo...uh Knightroid

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
How about, and I just thought of this, it's totally original... you search for items and there's lots of action, so it's like Search-Action

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

Metroidstained

bloodstained rotn was a top-notch castlevania game and we are extremely blessed as gamers to have both it and Metroid Dread in this world. (just don't buy the switch version)

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Bloodstained was fun but some of the abilities you can unlock make the game kind of broken by the end. Plus it's kind of ugly, on top of its anime trash aesthetic.

I loved Hollow Knight enough to play through it twice, except for some of the extra challenge BS in the DLC.

Is Axiom Verge good? I see a lot of conflicting opinions.

I was kind of meh on Ori so I never picked up the sequel.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Axiom Verge starts good and slowly gets shittier and more tedious

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Axiom Verge is hot trash. One of the few games I stopped playing out of disgust at how bad it was. Star ocean 5 being the other.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That Washington Post review saying a big negative is the fact that you can't progress until you figure out what to do or beat an enemy and giving it a 7/10 is just :psyduck:

Like... I don't care about review scores but that's just dumb.

Had to go check that review to see if it was actually real. That is probably the stupidest single line I've ever read in a review before.

How dare the game require you to play it in order to finish it? Aren't you sick of playing games yet?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Bloodstained was fun but some of the abilities you can unlock make the game kind of broken by the end. Plus it's kind of ugly, on top of its anime trash aesthetic.

I loved Hollow Knight enough to play through it twice, except for some of the extra challenge BS in the DLC.

Is Axiom Verge good? I see a lot of conflicting opinions.

I was kind of meh on Ori so I never picked up the sequel.

Do you also dislike the Castlevania aesthetic too? Castlevania has always been really anime, and Bloodstained is literally a successor.

Also definitely pick up the sequel to Ori, the second game is way, way better than the first.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

axiom verge was alright but the soundtrack probably did a lot of heavy lifting in my enjoyment of it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Overbite posted:

Axiom Verge is hot trash. One of the few games I stopped playing out of disgust at how bad it was. Star ocean 5 being the other.

I finished SO5 but Axiom Verge was to boring for me.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Electric Phantasm posted:

Metroidstained

Bloodroid :colbert:

Augus posted:

bloodstained rotn was a top-notch castlevania game and we are extremely blessed as gamers to have both it and Metroid Dread in this world. (just don't buy the switch version)
I actually got Bloodstained for Switch (on sale) and wow does it look terribad compared to Metroid Dread. It looks like a PSP port next to a real Switch game.

Evil Kit posted:

Do you also dislike the Castlevania aesthetic too? Castlevania has always been really anime, and Bloodstained is literally a successor.
Castlevania has always been anime meets classic hammer horror films but it wavers vastly in the amount of anime and keep in mind we got 4 straight Castleroid games with the classical Kojima aesthetic.

c-c-c-c-combo breaker

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 6, 2021

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Evil Kit posted:

Also definitely pick up the sequel to Ori, the second game is way, way better than the first.

SOTN is great and I enjoyed some of the GBA ones back in the day. I guess I'm mostly rolling my eyes at how sexualized Bloodstained's character designs are. Plus I also like sprites more than 3D renders for 2D games.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I hear they make a topical cream for that

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Didn't Axiom Verge 2 come out already? Did it turn out any better?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bloodstained is very good but very ugly, from top to bottom

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
axiom verge 2 is very good & in some ways much better than the first, it's a much more distinct thing than just the metroid-aping original

bloodstained is pretty mediocre - combat feels bad, progression is extremely linear without much real exploration, ugly graphical style

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

SOTN is great and I enjoyed some of the GBA ones back in the day. I guess I'm mostly rolling my eyes at how sexualized Bloodstained's character designs are. Plus I also like sprites more than 3D renders for 2D games.

I do think it's no more sexualized than some of the Castlevania monster/character designs from GBA days but that's coming from memories of a long time ago so grain of salt etc. Bloodstained was fun and I got a lot of time out of it, but I totally get having some problems with it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

Bloodstained is very good but very ugly, from top to bottom

the character models are pretty chunky but the backgrounds are very nice imo

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Axiom Verge 1 and 2 are both aesthetic t-rexes on the proverbial video game food chain, but they have some big faults. The stories are rather incoherent, and I don't know if there is a single good boss fight among both of them combined.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
bloodstained ruled

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

This, tbh.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Glad this game looks to be really good.

Also on the Bloodstained chat - I also thought a lot of it was pretty ugly. Backgrounds are generally pretty good but the 3-d modelled characters (for the most part) weren't that appealing to me. I did love the 2-d prequels though, those were amazing.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

On one hand through retailer shenanigans I'm getting the game for almost 20€ less which is cool but on the other hand they refuse to deliver poo poo ahead of the release so I'm not getting the game till Monday which sucks cause I wanna play it already :(

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Axiom Verge 2 was loving poo poo and I need a game that has perfected the metroidvania formula to cleanse my palate.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Frankston posted:

Axiom Verge 2 was loving poo poo and I need a game that has perfected the metroidvania formula to cleanse my palate.

Guacamelee came out years ago though.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
axiom verge 1 is good, axiom verge 2 is good

Augus posted:

axiom verge was alright but the soundtrack probably did a lot of heavy lifting in my enjoyment of it

not just the music alone but the mood it sets for each area and also when it interacts with the gameplay is great, it really nailed an atmosphere in a way most games don't even try to

BabyRyoga posted:

Axiom Verge 1 and 2 are both aesthetic t-rexes on the proverbial video game food chain, but they have some big faults. The stories are rather incoherent, and I don't know if there is a single good boss fight among both of them combined.

several of the boss fights in 1 are fun and make creative use of the abilities, 2 only really has one boss though and it kinda stinks

stev posted:

way too many games in this style are melee-based these days and that saddens me, sometimes you just wanna shoot the hostile wildlife of an alien planet

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

stev posted:

More like Guacamemelee lol

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Both Axiom Verge games are actually good you silly fools.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Axiom Verge is weird in that the first is mostly Metroid and the sequel is instead very 'Vania, right down to being melee and magic (hacking) based

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games and I love how long it is, but it's certainly not a necessity or expectation for a good Metroid to be that long.