Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

BadLlama posted:

SWTOR and ESO definitely didn't have similar numbers either...

swtor did not

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-03-swtor-has-350-000-peak-concurrent-users-report

eso is comparable nowadays in daily logins but I highly doubt they were ever > 900k concurrent, and is still extremlely popular and puts out fun, good content lol

also my server has cov winning - any other cov strong server players out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So what does gear score actually do?

Is it just a rough first-glance estimate if this item is better than the other, or is there scaling efficiency involved?

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

CLAM DOWN posted:

Gathering in this game is great - crafting is terrible. I hate it and have been trying to avoid it, it's so bad.

I think if they had put more time into it, I would agree with this statement. As it stands, I don't find it enjoyable in the slightest. Maybe ore gathering - maybe. Because of the exponential cost of iron ore for everything else, it makes gathering star metal and beyond incredibly tedious and also just... not worth it.

Lumbering is -awful.- I agree the first few minutes of doing it you feel "dang... this feels nice. Nice sounds, too." When you get toward the 100+ threshold, you're so freakin' tired of lumbering and you still have so much more to do. And all you've seen is two types of trees.

I said this in another post but they should have had varying tree types that all gave different statistics or perks to items / weapons. THAT would have made it fun and interesting.

Gathering herbs is also awful.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I think pushing gathering skills past 100 in under a week might have something to do with why you are sick of gathering.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I mean, take your fun where you can find it, but a common thread I've seen so far is that people are trying to powergame the crafting system and come into the thread going "I chopped trees for eight hours straight, game is so tedious and boring"

And yes, I am sure hitting trees for eight hours straight would be tedious and boring, but that seems like a self imposed problem.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BadLlama posted:

What is the MLG Pro gamer move for housing choice? I assume something up north so you are near the high level zones?

Had to search back as I thought I had seen something about it before..

Also

orange juche posted:

For the goon asking about life staff/warhammer build

This is a really fun build so far. Way more than I thought it would be honestly.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
How should I distribute my attributes for hatchet/musket?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Had to search back as I thought I had seen something about it before..

Nice! Thanks.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

yeah I got mining to 100 but star metal just isn't worth as much as iron. Its cool being able to hit those nodes (and get more gems 👀 ) but I dont think its worth the pain of grinding it out. IMO at least wait until 40 and star metal tools so everything goes faster

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

Comrayn posted:

I think pushing gathering skills past 100 in under a week might have something to do with why you are sick of gathering.

I think that's an exceptionally reductionist view and assumes much. I've been playing games / MMOs on release since the early days of MUDs, and have played nearly every MMO I can think of. Interestingly, when SWG was released, all I did was power level gathering / architect / farming because the crafting AND gathering was so complex and fun. It was the basis of my character in SWG until Holo hunting was a thing.

Even Ultima Online had a more complex crafting portion with varying ores adding varying values, although that's a bit of a stretch. The lumber was definitely just ole lumber.

"Pushing" them past 100 doesn't take that much time at all. I haven't played the game since Friday, and I didn't play that much between - anyone who has some time on their hands can do it.

Gattsu
Sep 27, 2008

I SMELL VIRGINS
As the Pope of the Covenant on our server and general powerhouse of a faction (I promise we are winning everything) I am having lots of fun in this game, even with all the random jank.

That is all.

The Spark guides you children.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

yeah I got mining to 100 but star metal just isn't worth as much as iron. Its cool being able to hit those nodes (and get more gems 👀 ) but I dont think its worth the pain of grinding it out. IMO at least wait until 40 and star metal tools so everything goes faster

To note; if you use tier 2, or even tier 3 gathering mats in Star Metal Tools, you can push the level requirement DOWN. I have level 34 star metal tools. I think as a crafter, if you're giving a tool to someone, you'll always want to Azoth it - it's only 45 and super easy to get.

You're 100% correct on Star Metal not being worth it. It's a bizarre take on crafting, and feels even worse when you get it unlocked. Gold was the same way. Gold sells for something like .01 on the market because you can't use it unless you have a metric ton of silver.

Anasurimbur fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 6, 2021

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Comrayn posted:

I consider myself a filthy casual but I have three gathering skills 100+ and multiple crafts 100+ and just a smidge to go on Engineering to make starmetal tools. Anyone with prior MMO experience (especially FFXI towards this game, the parallels are interesting) will always approach this stuff more optimally.

Logging 90-100 was hell though.

Anasurimbur posted:

Gold was the same way. Gold sells for something like .01 on the market because you can't use it unless you have a metric ton of silver.

Silver is not the bottleneck. It competes for flux with steel and starmetal. Flux is the bottleneck all around.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 6, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i thought i was hot poo poo getting smelting up to level 51 and people are out here with 100+ in woodcutting. i guess i'm a slacker

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have bought actual irl outfits off of Amazon that are cheaper than the cosmetics. Although the shop stuff looks better than the actual irl outfits...

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ranzear posted:

Silver is not the bottleneck. It competes for flux with steel and starmetal. Flux is the bottleneck all around.

I've been doing a poo poo load faction quests so I can buy enough common material converters to make this flux issue not so bad.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

FYI looks like servers are back up for everyone but west coast.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

BadLlama posted:

FYI looks like servers are back up for everyone but west coast.

half the servers in each region - they are doing it by the bunch it seems.
If youre lucky and you are on the half that has been chosen to go live first, good for you.
If not, you can continue to sit there and wish you had chosen a different server.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I was initially very interested in the crafting but now, not so much. I'm just going to passively level it with the poo poo I pick up without going out of my way, since it seems the things I originally wanted out of crafting (tools and gear with good perks) will be easy enough to buy from other people. Starmetal tools with good perks are already really cheap on my server, and I even saw a guy advertising orichalchum tools with good perks yesterday. By the time I'm high enough level to equip those they'll be cheaper. Maybe gear with exact perks is harder to get than tools are? The pool of perks for tools doesn't seem to be that big.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well now I can't just captain pose over the bodies of the heretics anymore. :(

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Anasurimbur posted:

I think that's an exceptionally reductionist view and assumes much. I've been playing games / MMOs on release since the early days of MUDs, and have played nearly every MMO I can think of. Interestingly, when SWG was released, all I did was power level gathering / architect / farming because the crafting AND gathering was so complex and fun. It was the basis of my character in SWG until Holo hunting was a thing.

Even Ultima Online had a more complex crafting portion with varying ores adding varying values, although that's a bit of a stretch. The lumber was definitely just ole lumber.

"Pushing" them past 100 doesn't take that much time at all. I haven't played the game since Friday, and I didn't play that much between - anyone who has some time on their hands can do it.

You haven’t played since Friday? Ok let me revise my post: pushing all your gathering past 100 in three days definitely has something to do with you finding things tedious and boring.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
Can I relive my glory days of SW:G as a non-violent crafter?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

captaingimpy posted:

I don't think you can kill literal nothing, but after the first 8 levels or so you could 100% level via gathering and crafting.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

captaingimpy posted:

I mean you can gather and craft to level, but no, it is no where near the complexity or thought that the SWG system had. Plus, there is no real economy in NW as items never get destroyed or degrad to a level to make them no longer usable.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rip

the worst possible patch note, given all the other issues with the game lol

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

captaingimpy posted:

yes and no.

Often there are mobs around nodes that will stop you from harvesting. I don't see how you will end up with much unless you ONLY fish, gather, and chop trees. Even then, odds are you will get mobbed.

That being said, there have already been "naked" runs and I believe a passific run already.

Darwin_
Oct 4, 2021

BadLlama posted:

I mean you can gather and craft to level, but no, it is no where near the complexity or thought that the SWG system had. Plus, there is no real economy in NW as items never get destroyed or degrad to a level to make them no longer usable.

Anyone played in Alpha? There was real economy with max durability decreasing with repairs, company territories with shared chests, and open world half-loot pvp. We had a blast. It was Amazon's choice to revert back all those features. Just a few carebear posts in official forums and now here we are. Swimming in Walking under success.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

Ranzear posted:

I make mention of that elsewhere, although I got exceptionally lucky early game. People who didn't know its value were selling flux, sandpaper, etc. for like .01 the first few days the game came out. So I ended up over thousands of each just buying off the market.

Material converters make this a lot better, too, when you have excess in trees you don't care about. I ended up with an insane amount of crossweave from the aforementioned market purchases.

Silver is definitely one bottleneck. At least later for platinum. Its all exponential increases.

It gets worse for Iron Ore.

Anasurimbur fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 6, 2021

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Darwin_ posted:

Anyone played in Alpha? There was real economy with max durability decreasing with repairs, company territories with shared chests, and open world half-loot pvp. We had a blast. It was Amazon's choice to revert back all those features. Just a few carebear posts in official forums and now here we are. Swimming in Walking under success.

The majority of people don't want to play a full loot PVP MMO and half of the people who think they do, don't.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

Comrayn posted:

You haven’t played since Friday? Ok let me revise my post: pushing all your gathering past 100 in three days definitely has something to do with you finding things tedious and boring.

So, again, reductionist and a boring argument. I also hit mid-30's, played and lead multiple PvP outtings in BW, rift groups, etc. You're ignoring others pointing out how simple and non-complex hitting gathering 100 is. So, you know... nice try I guess? :/

I suppose you think having access to one type of tree, and then ... oh then two. And then finally, oh... finally three... three types of trees. Boy. Lots of fun. So varied. Much complex.

And, again, let's point back to how the only ores that really matter are Iron and Silver because of the need for exponential growth.

I also have something like 2k silk doing nothing / rotting because of the overwhelmeing need for just hemp, still. And that's not even from trying to farm it. Just from it being around BW / that being our haunt.

Yup. So excite.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
No, what I think that person is saying is that even if the game was mega engaging, poop socking a game is going to make it feel tedious and boring.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

No, what I think that person is saying is that even if the game was mega engaging, poop socking a game is going to make it feel tedious and boring.

Yeah this.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Anasurimbur posted:

So, again, reductionist and a boring argument. I also hit mid-30's, played and lead multiple PvP outtings in BW, rift groups, etc. You're ignoring others pointing out how simple and non-complex hitting gathering 100 is. So, you know... nice try I guess? :/

I suppose you think having access to one type of tree, and then ... oh then two. And then finally, oh... finally three... three types of trees. Boy. Lots of fun. So varied. Much complex.

And, again, let's point back to how the only ores that really matter are Iron and Silver because of the need for exponential growth.

I also have something like 2k silk doing nothing / rotting because of the overwhelmeing need for just hemp, still. And that's not even from trying to farm it. Just from it being around BW / that being our haunt.

Yup. So excite.

I genuinely don't understand what you want out of the crafting system though?

Sure I'd rather some MMO just copy and pasted Vanguard's crafting system in - but I think even though some feel that Vanguard had the best crafting system of a MMO - it was still polarizing.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
if you don't like the game I think it's a good idea to play a different game, personally

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

The majority of people don't want to play a full loot PVP MMO and half of the people who think they do, don't.

it was never a full loot pvp mmo, but yes, people don't like losing stuff when they die.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

And that's flawed, and not supported by the facts.

I, among many others, have poop socked many a game without them going stale. Ironically, in this case, I don't think I even poop socked. I had a few hours here and there between work, and played some on Tuesday and Friday.

The assumptions are:

"Oh, you got there in a short time, you must have poop socked."

While others are also saying "No, not really, it's pretty easy to get there."

"Well poop socking would make anything boring."

As I just pointed out, there have been plenty of games where I jumped headfirst into them coming for very little air - in periods of times where I was not married, or have social activities. And those games kept me engaged for months if not longer.

------------

It's a fallacy. Perhaps for YOU playing a game a ton might make it dry. I'm sitting on 3-4k hours in Path of Exile, and the same for DotA 2, TF2, Enigmatica mods, and some others - and that thought isn't something that really pertains to me or my experiences in video games.

I'll also note that it's not an argument in favor of the game, but an attack on the my supposed playstyle - a strawman to suggest I can't have an opinion on something because I don't meet whatever metric of playing would be enough to provide an opinion.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

There’s probably a big disconnect between how much casuals and hardcore mmo players tend to like this game, considering how it seems to start strong but not have enough content or complexity to last many hundreds of hours. I’m still enjoying it a lot but am definitely a casual and will probably consider it a good game that i beat once i hit level cap.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hey it's your time do whatever you like with it. What facts would you like help with. The fact that you poop socked, or the fact that you pooped socked? Are you also surprised that a bad game is bad?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I walked out on my front lawn and only saw four kinds of trees, loving lazy devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I don't love that the T1 harvesting mats go into crafts all of the way up to the top. The low level zones are just buried in level 35-50 people gathering iron and hemp and low level players can't get the resource spawns and can't even be flagged for pvp for fear of getting deleted. There should be a break at like, starmetal and silk where a new "base" resource goes into the production tree.