Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The solution Marvel has reached is that they do not need more Spider-Man books with a unique identity as much as a more frequently released core Spider-Man book, but I realize "need" here probably means personal desires and not editorial requirements. In that case just cancel all Spider-books, you cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they are still releasing non stop Spider-Man so it’s not like they are abandoning satellite titles

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean they are still releasing non stop Spider-Man so it’s not like they are abandoning satellite titles

Actually this week was the last issue. It's getting a relaunch under a different title at some point though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Bring back Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane with Gurihiru, you cowards

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

X-O posted:

Actually this week was the last issue. It's getting a relaunch under a different title at some point though.

I think the new title is, Savage Spider-man?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

X-O posted:

Oh I read the synopsis and they said that wasn’t the last issue so that’s probably what they meant.

That plus they have been flooding Spider man with mini series over the last two years as well

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Marvel definitely puts out a lot of Spider-Man books outside of the core book, and while most of them are either Spider-Man Family books (Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Woman, Silk, Web Warriors, Ben Reilly, etc) there have been a number of "satellite" Peter Parker books, but all of them in the past decade or so at least started with a clear "Chip Zdarsky is doing a Spider-Man book" "Tom Taylor is doing a Spider-Man book" "Joe Kelly is doing a Spider-Man book" with a natural endpoint of when that person stops writing it, with the exception of a weird tacked-on Spidergeddon arc. And I guess Spider-Man/Deadpool lurched on for another year or so with try-out/fill-in one-shots after Kelly/McGuinness finished?

It's not that they refuse to make them, but it's a different model than the 1970s through the mid-2000s (including the period Priest/Owsley describes when he was editing the books) where it was basically "we have [three/four/five] ongoing Spider-Man books, we'd better figure out SOMETHING to put into all of them every single month with no gaps, also try to make them all seem different".

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

That's blatant false advertising!

Gologle posted:

I mean they're already turning it into one of the Infinite comics so maybe they're priming readers for its return?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 1, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rick posted:

I'd like to see a professional writer with actual good ideas take on him living in Hollywood while MJ works on her movie career or whatever. I know New York is allegedly central to Spider-Man's character but that is context I'd like to see him out of.

We had Amazing Mary-Jane and it was good. I miss it. I genuinely wish the market would bear Spider-family stuff.

Karma Tornado posted:

Saviuk is a really good classic style Spider-Man guy, he ended up doing the newspaper strip for fifteen years

Sal Buscema on Spectacular was another artist who I did not appreciate at the time because I was reading them alongside McFarlane and Larsen who were 'cool' (and who I have since cooled on) but is really, really good. The days when somebody would draw a comic for eight years - and he drew the Hulk for a decade - are gone and I kinda regret that.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 1, 2021

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Dawgstar posted:

Sal Buscema on Spectacular was another artist who I did not appreciate at the time because I was reading them alongside McFarlane and Larsen who were 'cool' (and who I have seen cooled on) but is really, really good. The days when somebody would draw a comic for eight years - and he drew the Hulk for a decade - are gone and I kinda regret that.

Same. Back when I was reading the Clone Saga stuff I always dreaded Spectacular coming out as I hated Sal's art. Looking back I don't know what I was thinking, but teenagers are weird.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Dawgstar posted:

We had Amazing Mary-Jane and it was good. I miss it. I genuinely wish the market would bear Spider-family stuff.

Sal Buscema on Spectacular was another artist who I did not appreciate at the time because I was reading them alongside McFarlane and Larsen who were 'cool' (and who I have since cooled on) but is really, really good. The days when somebody would draw a comic for eight years - and he drew the Hulk for a decade - are gone and I kinda regret that.

He and Bill Mantlo had an over 5 year run together on Incredible Hulk and you just don’t see that at all anymore

Sal’s Spectacular 8 year run was so great. I was a little of the same at the time, loving McFarlane and Larsen doing all weird lines and angles, and looking at SSM as the “old man” book. His work was always under-appreciated, and when you look back now it seems more dynamic than anyone else’s. The “Buscema Punch” was always a thrill for me to see - he drew dynamic scenes and you NEVER had to guess as to what the scene was saying. McFarlane was style and Saviuk was substance - Sal was both.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gologle posted:

It's a new infinity comic on Marvel Unlimited.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

It's a new infinity comic on Marvel Unlimited.

It's not new, last I looked. It's just the old series being put out there.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

X-O posted:

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's blatant false advertising!

Well, the final issue of Non-Stop Spider-Man involves him finally having to stop because he has nowhere to go for a hot minute, so I guess they couldn't really keep calling it that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Isn't the Ewing/Ram V Venom book starting this month? Really looking forward to that and wondering how horror-y it's going to go with a writing team like that

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I liked the first issue of Spider-Man Beyond!

It was a nice detail to use the Spencer title page at the start and bookended with the one for the run going forward to reflect the transition from Peter to Ben as main character.

Also I liked MJ having pattern recognition that whenever Ben shows up it tends to be bad news (even if it's not his fault).

I'm a little put out Peter doesn't recall the Byond Corporation from his Mighty Avengers says, but that's a minor quibble.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Forgot to say earlier but thanks to whoever mentioned the Marvel/Method podcast earlier in the thread, I've listened through the backlog over the last couple of weeks while doing housework. Meth's enthusiasm for Marvel was readily apparent and he really did his homework on the celebrity and industry guests. Just hugely positive listening, hoping for a second season!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean now it’s pretty obvious why Ben is going to be spider man for the immediate future and it’s insanely easy to undo

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
How we feeling about Defenders?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gologle posted:

How we feeling about Defenders?

I liked the first issue, is there a second?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

A second and a third even. It's pretty cool.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I love Ewing’s clear love for the King, and this is EXTREMELY Kirby.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

howe_sam posted:

A second and a third even. It's pretty cool.

God damned my comic book guy is bad at pulling issues I tell him to pull.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Defenders is looking to be a great follow up to Ultimates.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Defenders is looking to be a great follow up to Ultimates.

It really is. I'm constantly amazed at how good Ewing is at establishing characterization through banter between teammates. Taaia's only been around for two chapters and she's already one of my favourite things going.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Despite knowing bugger all about the Eternals until this series, I really liked the opener to the new arc with an increasingly affronted Ajak getting mad at the Avengers over their new choice of hang out, plus the flashback fight one million years earlier. Gillen Gillens while Kei Zama has a blast on art.

Good stuff.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

I liked the first issue, is there a second?

If there wasn't it would be called Defender.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Sentinel Red posted:

Despite knowing bugger all about the Eternals until this series, I really liked the opener to the new arc with an increasingly affronted Ajak getting mad at the Avengers over their new choice of hang out, plus the flashback fight one million years earlier. Gillen Gillens while Kei Zama has a blast on art.

Good stuff.

I also just got caught up the full Eternals run (I fell off after the second issue and then to my surprise over a year had suddenly passed) and I've got to say this is prime Gillen so far. Ribic's art really helps, but he's more efficient and less indulgent with his prose than he can be elsewhere (even if he does occassionally just give himself a page of nothing but words to exposit with) and the world-building he's done with the Eternals and Celestials is really fun. The celestial politicking is really enjoyable. Thanos Rising seems to have fully retconned Mentor's origin story (and death? I think he died a few years ago, I can't remember) to fit with the new status quo, so I imagine Eros is going to get similar treatment sooner or later.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nilbop posted:

So I've no interest in slogging through Spencer's enormous run given that every time I dipped my toe in it was just awful, but would anyone be willing to break down what he ended up changing?

I’m so confused I thought when it started everyone was praising Spencer’s run. I even read the first 6 issues and found it to be pretty good!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Noob Saibot posted:

I’m so confused I thought when it started everyone was praising Spencer’s run. I even read the first 6 issues and found it to be pretty good!

People were just ready for anyone other than Slott. It’s also pretty funny reading all the hype about Spencer’s run and how it was going to focus on the happy and funny side of Spidey when it ended like it did

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Noob Saibot posted:

Well, the ran began with fairly light, high-concept stories (oh no! Peter split himself into two guys with a ray gun!) and a focus on Peter's social life, especially a well received subplot where he took on the supervillain Boomerang as a room-mate.

By the end of the run the stories had become bogged down by a VERY long-running and incrementally developed story about a mysterious villain, Kindred, whose design and concept were not especially popular from the get-go, and who, iirc, lost whatever goon goodwill he started with rapidly as the arc plodded on. Kindred's gimmick, as well as the gimmicks of a number of intervening arcs, also shifted from the goofy, sitcomy notes of the beginning of the run to DeMatteis sturm und drang about the Many Unforgiven Sins of Peter Parker and so on. By the end, it was clear that the story that many fans thought was being set-up for a retcon (Peter and MJ's marriage being sold to the devil) was NOT going to be retconned, and instead Spencer wrote an imposingly baroque DIFFERENT retcon about a handful of largely forgotten Osborn-adjacent subplots, by which point I feel like many BSS posters were done with the whole thing.

A caveat-- this is pieced together from conversations here and elsewhere since I stopped reading it fairly early on. But to make a long-story short-- his run ended on a much different tone than the one with which it started, which moved it fairly far afield of the comedic, slice of life-y angle that accounted for its initially warm reception.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's true. Whomever wished for Dan Slott to be replaced on Spidey did so on a monkey's paw.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i read the whole thing and remember very little about it, but that's a very fair assessment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I knew replacing Slott with Spencer was a loving monkey paw wish from the get go and I kinda feel either I said it or someone else did and I agreed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

It's true. Whomever wished for Dan Slott to be replaced on Spidey did so on a monkey's paw.

I still say as a whole I'd rather read Spencer's than Slott but yeah that last arc really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of the Spidered Man, and I realise this might be premature, but who do people think is coming on after Beyond? I'm fairly certain given we've got issue #900 and the 60th anniversary next year, a new #1 is an inevitability, right?

I'm kind of hoping Ewing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ewing would be great. Zdarsky would be wonderful as well.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Aren’t they going to be doing rotating creative teams with a every other week shipping schedule or something with Zeb Wells as the lead writer?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Aren’t they going to be doing rotating creative teams with a every other week shipping schedule or something with Zeb Wells as the lead writer?

I think they're going literally weekly, but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yes, that's Spider-Man Beyond. I seem to recall hearing that it was ending like 7 issues before 900, which would obviously line up perfectly for a new writer to come in and do the 900th issue arc, but I can't find any corroboration on that. I was asking who people think might be coming in and taking the reins.