Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, her good kids.

I’m not sure she ever so much as speaks to Jacob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

TheHan posted:

There's so much meat in just one page of OG Deegan than you'll find in an entire book's worth of the legacy. Mookie so clearly wants Miranda to come off as this mama bear protective type, but Dominic Deegan runs on such a warped sense of morality that she's this overbearing nightmare woman with a stranglehold on the balance of power in her family. But it's all ok cause she does it to protect her kids uwu (All of whom are grown men in their 30s, with godlike power at their fingertips).

That's one thing that really blows my mind in this reread. Miranda comes off some much worse than even Dominic. Everything she does is terrible and manipulative.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Beelzebufo posted:

So this might be a fun sisterly dynamic to explore, except, again, obviously it never comes up. Really that the thing I find funny here is that somehow Barnet in her prison cell knows what just happened to Serk, once again confirming the Mookie hive mind.

To be fair, I kinda feel like "did you hear about that guy who loving blew up in the middle of court" is the kind of news that would travel fast. Actually, I want to sorta commend Mookie, because last time Celesto exploded a person, the rear end in a top hat jock, it was done with the most boring angles that made the gross body horror lame. This one has some angles, just a bit of dynamism that makes it stand out to me here. There's some actual improvement! It only serves to make Legacy's devolution way worse though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Bismuth posted:

Its obviously worse in DD, but it really smacks of that disney thing where they want to kill off/resolve the villain, but they dont want to dirty any of the hero's hands so they have them conveniently fall off of something never to be seen again. It kind of ends up making all the heroes seem kind of detached from the resolution

Basically it's like if Scar's death showed the hyenas ripping him apart in full detail instead of just the shadows of it.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Zerilan posted:

Basically it's like if Scar's death showed the hyenas ripping him apart in full detail instead of just the shadows of it.

My thoughts exactly

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zerilan posted:

And if you felt like the writer was REALLY INTO killing that lion.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Oh yeah, and it’s funny how much emphasis is put on Serk never being able to hurt Dominic or his family again. Dude’s spent nearly all his screetime being humiliated by the Deegans. They took everything from him, they took his hair. He literally poo poo his pants. He’s not really got the history to warrant such a violent retribution.

Today’s page of the legacy is actually perfect on brand for today’s read through

Kazya’s purity has been TAINTED. Guess Arudak’s got no choice but to move on and let her rot.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

This series of events seems highly implausible

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

where'd she go? who knows, shrug and move on.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
The fact that the chandak lady dropped that drama bomb with zero build up only a few moments after they arrived is extremely funny.

Also that statement feels kind of like... too vague to be devastated over. Did he come here to ask her about that or did she decide to tell him just for funzies?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

TheHan posted:

Today’s page of the legacy is actually perfect on brand for today’s read through

Kazya’s purity has been TAINTED. Guess Arudak’s got no choice but to move on and let her rot.

We really gain so much from all the dialogue being delivered via paper instead of speech bubble. Imagine what would be lost if the boxes around the words were round with like, a little tail pointing towards the speaker, I would hate to see it.

also jesus can snout see a doctor about that shoulder situation

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

TheHan posted:

Oh yeah, and it’s funny how much emphasis is put on Serk never being able to hurt Dominic or his family again. Dude’s spent nearly all his screetime being humiliated by the Deegans. They took everything from him, they took his hair. He literally poo poo his pants. He’s not really got the history to warrant such a violent retribution.

I find it hard to believe that a person's accent could make you uncertain if they disintegrated the ship or not.

Their word choice, or their attitude, maybe. Or if they are speaking a separate language altogether.

But accent?

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Lol, Mookie doesn't know why they crashed, either.

I have no idea how we're supposed to feel about any of this. We barely know Arudak. We never knew his dead whatever-she-was. We never had any reason to think about this, nor do we really have much reason to care. It's a dramatic twist in a story that happened offscreen and in the past.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
If only we had a lot of time that would have been perfect for one on one character interaction to really get to know the people sharing Snout's journey, unfortunately the comic is just too full of fast paced back to back action for good development

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This feels like a Squid Game for plotlines. They all keep getting executed unceremoniously after having accomplished nothing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
... and she's gone

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Beelzebufo posted:

I like how contrived this dialogue is. Dominic happens to scry in at just the moment where they're discussing Serk's unrelated plot to attack, while he's waiting to work the corrupt Callanian legal system to let him off. Interesting that Dominic and Co. nevertheless seem to want to entrust Barnet to this same system that they repeatedly have evidence is corrupt. I mean you'd think given what Barnet knows she might be a liability that Serk would try to eliminate. But that would be an interesting hook, so Mookie is definitely not going to do that!

Here it is, the just punishment for a character who has not been involved in the comic in years. Thank God he finally got his comeuppance, and Mookie was finally able to let go of that knot of tension in the back of his brain about how Serk definitely deserved a lot more pain for trying to hurt Dominic.

Pretty sure this is ripped off from Videodrome

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Beelzebufo posted:

At least Celesto is actively doing things in the world instead of waiting for the plot to come to him like Dominic is.
Every arc ends with Dominic getting another blatant reminder of *dramatic stakes* happening elsewhere in the world and it is impressive to what extent the Deegans ignore it completely.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I forget, weren’t the worst things Serk did was planning to buy out the ruins of the town for a stadium (yeah, kind of a dick move) and walking out on Luna after sleeping with her once?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

This comic is really wordy for a story with no spoken dialogue.

Like, the early comic was actually halfway decent about balancing silent action and sparse written information. I can't remember if I've said this before but the early comic, maybe up until they left the Wild Edge, was mildly interesting in that "well, it's not good but it might become good so I'll give it some time to figure out where it's going."

Now it's just "here's a wall of text while the characters stand around." A thing happens, Snout doesn't understand why, everything has to stop so someone can explain to him. goddammit at this point just do some sort of captioned sign language, it would be 100% less contrived and awkward and annoying to read. If you want to write a story that will necessitate large infodumps then you can't just have the characters write essays at each other all the time. That isn't natural. It isn't practical. It's not how people communicate. Writing is slow. If someone has something to write to Snout, something that cannot be communicated another way, it needs to be something that can be written down in a hurry, at least in a situation like this.

God, I have barely any sense of who Kazya is, never mind that I don't have the context to know why her liking someone else is so traumatic.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

how many spines does a guy have
is it three?
i think it's like, three
good enough, straight to print

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Mookie used up all his slient-movie-type gags in the early goings of the strip and now that they're done the "no dialogue" thing is just a massive burden on a story that's moving glacially already.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Regalingualius posted:

I forget, weren’t the worst things Serk did was planning to buy out the ruins of the town for a stadium (yeah, kind of a dick move) and walking out on Luna after sleeping with her once?

He did some coverups and manipulated people into getting killed to gain money, as well the thing with Luna being to help her mother get compensation money. It's interesting how this points to a a fairly realistic issue in the world of DD - a rich guy can get away with pretty much anything. Yet Mookie pretty much refuses to acknowledge that issues can be systemic in nature and the good guys will still talk about how doing the right thing involves getting the law involved.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

"so is your lover dead? are you okay?"
"yeah it's fine I was just loving him LOL"
"hehe I'd have loved to watch that"

What the gently caress he just died. Why?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

He didn’t have a first name so he wasn’t really a person so Mookie doesn’t have to feel sad he died.

And so neither does anyone else.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Midnight Voyager posted:

There's something about Mookie's insistence on leaving the good guys hands lily white while at the same time just REVELING in torturing characters with other characters that reeeeeally feels icky.

It's really jarring because yeah, yeah, you can see that mookie is really into this sort of gruesome punishment and fully believes it to be just and deserved, but this extreme hardcore poo poo is impossible to reconcile with his deep deep need to have his stories adhere to strict childrens' cartoon morality, so the worst thing his main characters can do has to be twisted into a kind of hijinks and the real punishment must come from someone like an anti-hero like Celesto, or that bureaucrat in Star Power gleefully making sure the guy that destroyed his spaceship will end up tried by the robot court that sees him as a child murderer.

And this contradiction feels really scary, because it reveals an unresolved personal tension that you have no way of knowing how it's going to go in any situation that requires nuance. It reveals a person completely unprepared to understand - and react to - situations like that. And that was practically admitted to in Star Power with the alien refugee thing, where mookie deliberately set up a difficult situation only to reject it.

RoboRodent posted:

This comic is really wordy for a story with no spoken dialogue.

Like, the early comic was actually halfway decent about balancing silent action and sparse written information. I can't remember if I've said this before but the early comic, maybe up until they left the Wild Edge, was mildly interesting in that "well, it's not good but it might become good so I'll give it some time to figure out where it's going."

Now it's just "here's a wall of text while the characters stand around." A thing happens, Snout doesn't understand why, everything has to stop so someone can explain to him. goddammit at this point just do some sort of captioned sign language, it would be 100% less contrived and awkward and annoying to read. If you want to write a story that will necessitate large infodumps then you can't just have the characters write essays at each other all the time. That isn't natural. It isn't practical. It's not how people communicate. Writing is slow. If someone has something to write to Snout, something that cannot be communicated another way, it needs to be something that can be written down in a hurry, at least in a situation like this.

God, I have barely any sense of who Kazya is, never mind that I don't have the context to know why her liking someone else is so traumatic.

We started getting the scenery pages when... Snout and the Ink Witch were headed to Mongreltown, I think? But I think the pace of the comic started really slowing down after the Redactor encounter. Probably mookie never really got over having it pointed out that his Ink Witch waifu OC was behaving abusively.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Riot Bus posted:

The fact that the chandak lady dropped that drama bomb with zero build up only a few moments after they arrived is extremely funny.

Also that statement feels kind of like... too vague to be devastated over. Did he come here to ask her about that or did she decide to tell him just for funzies?

"Without the anchor of mutual love, we cannot drag her soul back from the beyond and bind it into her corpse in a foul, cruel mockery of all she held dear and sacred."

"Also, no refunds."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Riot Bus posted:

Why did she know it, for that matter?

Samovar posted:

I find it hard to believe that a person's accent could make you uncertain if they disintegrated the ship or not.

Their word choice, or their attitude, maybe. Or if they are speaking a separate language altogether.

But accent?
Maybe Mookie doesn't understand the difference between an accent and a dialect.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Mors Rattus posted:

He didn’t have a first name so he wasn’t really a person so Mookie doesn’t have to feel sad he died.

Excuse me, his first name was Mr., thank you very much

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

But accent?

maybe the lake is named chandrak

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Somewhat surprised that he’s never (AFAIK) made a “Chandak Boseman” joke

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So where on the quest steplist towards "finding a certain book about dreams to discover the legacy of Dominic Deegan" does "fly to a lake where to find a druid to resurrect your dead girlfriend but change your mind when the druid tells you she cheated on you" lie, and why did Snout or anyone else need to tag along

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Snout (kind, curious) looks on dumbly while Ink Witch goes to comfort Arudak in the wake of a traumatic personal revelation.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You know what’s great here?

Arudak’s the one who decided they should talk to this lady. They know each other. And in all the time they have, she apparently has not told him about his girlfriend loving someone else until now, because…???

Like his quest to resurrect his girlfriend seems to be no secret, so she probably knew already?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It’s probably going to be a dumb “oh no, I meant she platonically loved someone else (hint: it was me)” pointless misunderstanding

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Regalingualius posted:

It’s probably going to be a dumb “oh no, I meant she platonically loved someone else (hint: it was me)” pointless misunderstanding

I was going to say that I thought it was either "she loves God" or "she loves the concept of nature" or some stupid bullshit like that, but then I remembered the Jayden arc from Dominic Deegan and Mookie doing a "man pines for and would do anything for* woman who turns out to have been cheating on him, man in terrible pain and needs comfort from everyone**" would not be beyond him.

*does not actually mean he did anything for, just that he said that a lot
** and can do whatever he wants with no consequences because he's suffering

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm sure as hell not going to go back to the site to check but I'm like 95% sure that the whole thing starts out with the mom telling another character "Now that my daughters are 13 I've invited them to our annual skinny dip."

Muir is something else.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Mookie are you really doing another thing about the infidelity of women and how hard it is on men to go through that. Is that really the story you want to be telling here, suddenly, out of the loving blue, with no warning or context, just, hey now we're doing this?

What the gently caress??

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TheHan posted:

no dialogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Holy fck I just realized. Mookie really like, okay so his characters tend to Recieve Information by virtue of Mookie knowing something. We've seen again and again Mookie Knows Something so his characters do.

And this comic has just become that without a filter. Information is Now Available that Mookie just made up. I would not be shocked if he had no idea where this was going when he started drawing it but by this page he had the plot figured out, so the Plot reveals itself as words directly available to everyone. This is how a Mookie experiences the world.