Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

If You Say The Word is great and it's refreshing to like something 'new' from these guys without reservation

yes it's me I'm the guy who thinks Radiohead has been making middling innocuous music for the last 14 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Heads up: a indie-exclusive red 3xLP is out there as well. I wasn't ready to jump on a $120 colored variant, but for $60 the red variant is much more in line with the art.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

incoherent posted:

Heads up: a indie-exclusive red 3xLP is out there as well. I wasn't ready to jump on a $120 colored variant, but for $60 the red variant is much more in line with the art.

Wait, does it come with the other special stuff the cream colored one has?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Pontificating rear end posted:

The guys posted this on their newish TikTok account in reference to the already-dwindling video views. Pretty funny, although they removed it from there for some reason, was upto a million views or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAdLE4_bOf0

That is legit loving hilarious.

I've never seen Thom be that loose, he's really funny.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I'm like 15 seconds into "If You Say The Word" and I love it ughhhhhh

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Framboise posted:

Wait, does it come with the other special stuff the cream colored one has?

Nope, the album cover isn't on as nice card stock and does not have the book. But you do get the same content (2xLP and the bonus LP).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

shoeberto posted:

That is legit loving hilarious.

I've never seen Thom be that loose, he's really funny.

Having seen him twice (once with Radiohead, once with Atoms for Peace), he's got a weird sense of humor. Not uncomfortable weird, just weird. Introducing himself as Jay-Z weird.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The Walrus posted:

randomly came across this, the most insane music review ever written

Amnesiac - Relax, It's Nothing Like Kid A
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2001/jun/01/shopping.artsfeatures1

Wasn’t there a Kid A review on Pitchfork that was so god awful and pretentious that they eventually removed it from the site? I recall much of it talking about a live performance of Pyramid Song, a song that is most definitely not on Kid A.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I sort of wish they'd done a bit more with the album art. Given the changes they made to OK Computer's art I was expecting a bit more than Kid A with a black background.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Ballz posted:

Wasn’t there a Kid A review on Pitchfork that was so god awful and pretentious that they eventually removed it from the site? I recall much of it talking about a live performance of Pyramid Song, a song that is most definitely not on Kid A.

There's a review somewhere on pitchfork where the reviewer claims that both he and a friend had seperate car accidents while listening to airbag which is pretty funny.

Edit: found it. The rest of the review isn't entirely weird just that part always sticks out to me as very wtf. But i think it's the review you are talking about as it does talk about a live show of pyramid song in Italy.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 8, 2021

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

hallo spacedog posted:

There's a review somewhere on pitchfork where the reviewer claims that both he and a friend had seperate car accidents while listening to airbag which is pretty funny.

Edit: found it. The rest of the review isn't entirely weird just that part always sticks out to me as very wtf. But i think it's the review you are talking about as it does talk about a live show of pyramid song in Italy.

Yeah that’s the one, it was another review of his that got deleted where he didn’t review the album but instead wrote a short story about time traveling to the Revolutionary War and I think playing a Puff Daddy album to George Washington. Wish I had the Wayback link for it.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Ballz posted:

Yeah that’s the one, it was another review of his that got deleted where he didn’t review the album but instead wrote a short story about time traveling to the Revolutionary War and I think playing a Puff Daddy album to George Washington. Wish I had the Wayback link for it.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/6656-kid-a/

E: Missed the above edit

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
TBH as a dumb 14-year-old, that review got me really pumped up for Kid A.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Oh wait, we've covered all this before. Here's that infamous deleted review, from a 2016 post in this very thread:

trem_two posted:

A bit late to Brent DiCrescenzo chat, but this was his towering achievement, Pitchfork even wiped it from their site.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000816191450/www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/s/supergrass/supergrass.shtml

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The new song is interesting, it's like something from the OKC tapes produced through a 2021 lens, although it doesn't really fit on Kid A or Amnesiac as a result, but I suppose that was never the intention.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

bees x1000 posted:

If You Say The Word is great and it's refreshing to like something 'new' from these guys without reservation

yes it's me I'm the guy who thinks Radiohead has been making middling innocuous music for the last 14 years

I find this interesting because when listening to the song it very much sounds like a natural progression from OKC. It sounds like a song that they may have worked on very early in the sessions to create a follow-up before going in the direction that brought us Kid A. I feel like 'If You Say The Word' would not be out if place were it actually added to the OKC tracklisting.

Edit: Just saw the post above and agree. Should have caught up with the rest of the thread before replying!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTn8XodTyck
So PS5 virtual exhibit?

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 9, 2021

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

radiohead is wild as gently caress. going from "tik tok viewership joke videos" to "interactive experience on a scarcely available gaming console".

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
It'll also be available on PC, thankfully.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

They had that phone app a while back as well where you walk around some odd landscape. I don't recall many details now, but I think Jonny coded it? Could be confusing that with him coding their recording software, though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SUNKOS posted:

They had that phone app a while back as well where you walk around some odd landscape. I don't recall many details now, but I think Jonny coded it? Could be confusing that with him coding their recording software, though.

Yeah that was PolyFauna. It was bad.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

It was created by a company called Universal Everything. I thought it was kind of interesting. As far as I'm aware, Jonny doesn't write code for Radiohead - he makes patches for Max which is a visual programming environment for audio processing. The stuttering guitar effect on the Go To Sleep guitar solo, and the choppy guitar solo effect in Identikit things like that would be stuff that Jonny made.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Okay yeah that looks familiar, I think I've seen that unmistakable interface on the screens of monitors in some studio photos.

As for the stuttering guitar effect, I thought that was the cutoff switch that Jonny modded into his telecaster? You can replicate the effect on some guitar pedals but whenever I've seen live performances and that effect occurs, if they're showing Jonny I always notice that he's mashing that button on his guitar.

The first example that springs to mind is old OKC-era performances on Jools Holland, I definitely remember seeing/hearing it in one of his solos for the Paranoid Android performance, albeit slower than the examples that you gave, but I imagine him really mashing the button would give exactly that effect if he hasn't switched over to doing it via pedal with simple on/off activation instead.

Edit: Thanks for linking that software, I've been exploring the site and it looks really fun to use, I'm keen to give it a whirl and tinker away with it when I get the opportunity. Not enough hours in the day!

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 11, 2021

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Volte posted:

It was created by a company called Universal Everything. I thought it was kind of interesting. As far as I'm aware, Jonny doesn't write code for Radiohead - he makes patches for Max which is a visual programming environment for audio processing. The stuttering guitar effect on the Go To Sleep guitar solo, and the choppy guitar solo effect in Identikit things like that would be stuff that Jonny made.

Was that also what he used to do the drum loops on King of Limbs?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnhKaCjCIqM

New video out for If You Say The Word. I like.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's pretty funny, not what I was expecting at all. I liked it too.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lmao when the dude takes off running

hahahah

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this feels like a spiritual successor to the Just video

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
This feels just like the officially released Lift and Big Boots in that it's clearly been touched up in the past 5 years. Probably when they booked the orchestra for AMSP.

Some bits of Young Thom voice, some Old Thom.

It's okay.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It doesn't sound obviously touched up to me at all, vocally at least. Man Of War was 100% rerecorded in 2015 for the Bond film and Lift feels like it was totally rerecorded too (especially now that the actual OK Computer version is out there and is clearly totally different in both performance and production). If You Say The Word just feels like old Radiohead to me with Thom's Kid A voice. It's not like it's unprecedented since I Promise was a bona fide OK Computer outtake too.

Volte fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 23, 2021

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GEXXnWusOg

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

years late but I listened to the minidisc Lift studio recording and why wasn't this on OKC, or even a b-side, and why did they suck all the energy out of it for the OKNOTOK release

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Pretty sure Ed mentioned they didn't release it because they thought it had too much commercial potential and would probably become huge and turn into another Creep. I always suspected that the OKNOTOK version of Lift was probably recorded during the AMSP sessions, and after hearing the actual OK Computer version, I suspect it even more strongly now. I'm think they recorded Man Of War then as well for the Bond film (before finding out it was ineligible and writing Spectre instead). As for why they didn't release the actual OK Computer version on OKNOTOK, I have no idea. Maybe they had an AMSP version in the can that they wanted to use, or they thought the OKC version was too good to be a B-side.

Volte fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 6, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
while i really like the minidisc Lift - probably slightly more so than the OKNOTOK version, actually - i can't fault them for not wanting another Creep situation

plus, its vibes kind of clash with OK Computer anyway, imo. it being much more of an unapolagetic, unrestrained 90s cheesefest than the rest of OKC doesn't help - i can see why the label loved it and wanted to have it as the first single (allegedly)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Weird, I really like the OKNOTOK version better. It feels understated and way more melancholy, kind of lost in time, while the strings on the minidisc version are Too Much for me.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I'm listening to AMSP again for the first time in years and... Yeah, the quality of the album drops hard after the 2nd song, but it feels like I need to write something longer than this post to explain why. I guess overall there's just this anemic, passionless quality to it. It's like instead of the typical Radiohead fashion of wailing against the horrors of the world, this album started taking SSRIs and shrugged.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 21, 2021

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Post 9-11 Windows posted:

I'm listening to AMSP again for the first time in years and... Yeah, the quality of the album drops hard after the 2nd song, but it feels like I need to write something longer than this post to explain why. I guess overall there's just this anemic, passionless quality to it. It's like instead of the typical Radiohead fashion of wailing against the horrors of the world, this album started taking SSRIs and gave up.

The Radio Heads finally started taking their anxiety meds and are just making some chill tunes together as middle aged dads , I’m happy for them

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Post 9-11 Windows posted:

I'm listening to AMSP again for the first time in years and... Yeah, the quality of the album drops hard after the 2nd song, but it feels like I need to write something longer than this post to explain why. I guess overall there's just this anemic, passionless quality to it. It's like instead of the typical Radiohead fashion of wailing against the horrors of the world, this album started taking SSRIs and shrugged.

They're not young men anymore, and there's only so long you can rail against how terrible the world is before you inevitably succumb to numb despair. Especially when things are only getting worse. I like AMSP for that reason

Thom huddled in his little snow hole waiting for his little fire to die and then freezing to death

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i like A Moon Shaped Pool more than OK Computer :ohdear:

but then, i'm also the weirdo who likes The King of Limbs and thinks that AMOK is the best thing Thom Yorke has done outside of Radiohead (and better than about half of things he's done with Radiohead)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Hedrigall posted:

The Radio Heads finally started taking their anxiety meds and are just making some chill tunes together as middle aged dads , I’m happy for them

Yeah I kinda get this. All the bands I liked starting from my teen years either mellowed out, broke up, or saw their quality tank because they kept trying to recapture the emotional energy of their old stuff. It just feels fake after a while.

AMSP isn't terribly angsty but it's absolutely earnest about what it is, and I think that's why it works for me so well.