Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

um excuse me posted:

I'm too poor to know this. Do they just paint the chests in any color you want? It seems like they come in every color under the sun.

You can configure drawer sizes as well as any combo of trim color and paint. Someone backed out on this one and my rep offered it to me for a steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Hot, thats a great color combo.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Getting a socket set for working on motorbikes, should I go for a 3/8" set?

Is one like this Wiha set OK?
https://www.distrelec.ch/en/ratchet-set-22-pieces-wiha-44708/p/30215789

There are Wera ones and the pouch they come in is better for me, but also twice as expensive.

e: ah the Weras are 6 point.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 3, 2021

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

Getting a socket set for working on motorbikes, should I go for a 3/8" set?

Is one like this Wiha set OK?

There are Wera ones and the pouch they come in is better for me, but also twice as expensive.

e: ah the Weras are 6 point.

Yeah 3/8" is a good do it all size. That Wiha set looks fine to me. I use my cheap little 1/4" drive set more often than I expect when working on my bike though, since it's lighter and easier to fit in tight spots, and only occasionally reach for the 1/2" drive stuff for things like axles. If I could only have one I would probably get a 3/8". I'd grab a breaker bar too if you don't have an impact wrench. Rarely needed but extremely helpful when you need it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I had a first today -- bought a Milwaukee tool to replace a Ryobi tool that wasn't cutting it.

I'm working on building a kitchen island using hard spalted maple. It's wicked hard and heavy. I have a Ryobi trim router that I was using for some profile cuts, but man... it just kept tearing out material. I suffered through a dozen cuts, but I switched to another bit that took out even more material and it just wasn't acceptable. I bought an M18 Fuel trim router and... wow... I should have gone to that straight away. I didn't want to spend the money, but the difference between the tool's capabilities is staggering.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

meatpimp posted:

I had a first today -- bought a Milwaukee tool to replace a Ryobi tool that wasn't cutting it.

I'm working on building a kitchen island using hard spalted maple. It's wicked hard and heavy. I have a Ryobi trim router that I was using for some profile cuts, but man... it just kept tearing out material. I suffered through a dozen cuts, but I switched to another bit that took out even more material and it just wasn't acceptable. I bought an M18 Fuel trim router and... wow... I should have gone to that straight away. I didn't want to spend the money, but the difference between the tool's capabilities is staggering.

I've had this experience before and it's confusing to me. Mine was with a jigsaw but really the same concept. The tool just goes up and down or spins, why is one so much better? Probably consistency of speed and power when things get tough.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

StormDrain posted:

I've had this experience before and it's confusing to me. Mine was with a jigsaw but really the same concept. The tool just goes up and down or spins, why is one so much better? Probably consistency of speed and power when things get tough.

I think in this case it was both speed an power. There's a noticeable difference in both.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I just picked up the Makita 36V leaf blower with the 4 battery bundle, to replace the last piece of my old B&D kit that was gifted from a friend who'd upgraded all his lawn gear around the same time that we bought our last house. I haven't had to run it on higher than setting 4 (of 6), and it's been as good or better than the corded blowers I've used, and plenty of power for cleaning up after edging and trimming our 1/3 acre lot. Also extra 5Ah batteries are always handy.

The trees are just starting to drop leaves now, so we'll see how it handles the fall. I normally just mulch the leaves in every fall, but last year they were so thick in spots I ended up bagging them up with the mower. Should have enough power to spread them out more so the mower can just mulch them in on the last few weeks of mowing.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/makita-xbu02pt1-cordless-brushless-18v-blower-kit

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have a Makita 36V string trimmer, those things put out a fair amount of power so the blower should be great.

Today I discovered the dystopian rewards system at my megacorp has updated what they sell, and now has tools rather than just random bathroom poo poo. I've ordered some things. The Zyklop 1/4" set looks pretty handy.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

My Wera advent calendar arrived. This thing is huge, was going to use it for the AI:SS, but probably be expensive to ship.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

PitViper posted:

Makita 36V leaf blower

I have the homegamer special single 18v. the thing has become a daily user for just about everything - I can't recommend it enough. Also, if you're an adult, buying a leaf blower is a life changer.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XBU03...33393473&sr=8-4

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I went the other direction on the string trimmer, with the curved shaft 18V single brushless. It'll do the whole yard, edging the curb and sidewalk, and still have half the 5ah battery left (except the very first time, that took a 5ah and half a 4ah). Newer electric outdoor equipment is great. If my old Lawn Boy/Kohler 6.5hp mower ever dies I'll be swapping that to some brand electric as well.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Frank Dillinger posted:

You can configure drawer sizes as well as any combo of trim color and paint. Someone backed out on this one and my rep offered it to me for a steal.

It looks like one of these?

https://shop.snapon.com/categories/KRA2496-Classic-96-Series-Roll-Cabs-with-Bulk-Section-(73%22)/682338

If so a "steal" is still more then a used car.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
There's a reason Eel can charge a premium for their 30a shore cords. I've seen those fuckers be out in the Florida UV and still be viable after 30 years.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

One of the first things I do with a boat is ditch the old twist-lock shore power with a Smart Plug. So much nicer.

I can confirm that a ‘deal’ on a Snapon box is still painful. I got a discount because somebody backed out of an order, plus full retail on my trade-in because they had a dude that wanted one, and it was still more than most cars I’ve owned. It has been much more reliable than any of them, to be fair.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

oops nm

taqueso fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 6, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I just packed up my tools for a move and caught myself wondering "do I really need all these sockets". :doh:

(nothing extravagant, 1/4" and 3/8" drive, regular and deep, metric and SAE, plus a set of 1/2" drive regular metric and some random impacts)

poo poo is certainly heavy!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Uthor posted:

I just packed up my tools for a move and caught myself wondering "do I really need all these sockets". :doh:

(nothing extravagant, 1/4" and 3/8" drive, regular and deep, metric and SAE, plus a set of 1/2" drive regular metric and some random impacts)

poo poo is certainly heavy!

When we moved three years ago, I pulled all the drawers out of the chest and moved them one at a time, because it was heavy AF (44" USG top/bottom. The full drawer was the worst, full sets of 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 metric and SAE, plus 1/2 impacts for both, and random sets of torx, hex, etc plus 3/8 mid depth metrics.

When we paid movers to clear out the storage unit, one big guy just rolled the whole drat stack up the ramp into the truck, wrapped in shrink wrap and a blanket. Best $800 we ever spent was movers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

So far the worst was pulling out a drawer of comics that I forgot I designed to hold 100 lbs. Nearly dropped that on my toes. Ended up pulling the books out, moving the drawer, and restocking the books.

Thankfully I only have a tool cart as my main tool cabinet and everything fit into three smaller toolboxes that I have laying around. The one with the sockets is super heavy, but the other two are manageable and stackable with wheels.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Valt posted:

It looks like one of these?

https://shop.snapon.com/categories/KRA2496-Classic-96-Series-Roll-Cabs-with-Bulk-Section-(73%22)/682338

If so a "steal" is still more then a used car.

List price: 18k CAD but I don’t think anyone ever pays anything close to MSRP. The Epiq line is the top shelf for snap on boxes. It’s heritage-classic-masters-epiq.

I’ve fully outgrown my current box (55”) and need the room, at least that’s what I’m telling myself.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh my loving God WHAT

what do people actually pay for that? That's insane. That's half what I spent on my house, though it looks like it's a lot more weatherproof and solid...

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

They pay more, because they finance them at bad rates

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even if for whatever reason I had eighteen thousand dollars to spend on a tool chest, I would commission one out of (sustainable) tropical hardwood.

At the risk of having thematic whiplash, forget wheels. Give it a skirt and make it a hoverchest.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 6, 2021

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Man, I've told myself some doozies over the years. "Sure I can afford another Rx-7, just sell the daily" - none of them were recommended. I am happy to say I've never fallen for the $10k USD Snap-On tool box lie. Sure I've ooooogled my buddies, but there has never been anything $2k in Harbor Freight boxes hasn't done for me. If I had to touch it 8 hours a day, 5 days a week - we might talk. But I've never once in two decades of tool hoarding been convinced you get even a 1/4 of your return on investment with a snapon box.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 6, 2021

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

What makes a toolbox so expensive? It seems like fairly simple structure?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Hey guys, got this sweet tool cart a couple days ago

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
so you want to talk about tool boxes?

These are all really old pictures, but I have a really bad obsession with vintage tool boxes, mostly Kennedy - it all started with this:

this was my grandfathers box that was issued to him in 1936 when he got a job at Douglas Aircraft.

again, these are all old photos but at last count I had 10 kennedy boxes with something like 80 drawers? I also love small hand boxes and I have one that floats from car to car with a basic mechanic kit, plus a made in USA rigger bag that I use to lug drills, impacts and recovery gear when on a car related trip.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Rad. Can you show the insides of the Douglas aircraft box?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

This is really loving good you don't have to know anything about nascar and it's even kinda cspam trust:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0d_AUAHVeo

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

LobsterboyX posted:

so you want to talk about tool boxes?

That Douglas box is so drat cool. Did it come with tools?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Virgil Vox posted:

What makes a toolbox so expensive? It seems like fairly simple structure?
It's the tool box version of a monster cable.

It's the name and a very healthy dose of motivated reasoning. I know we've touched on this earlier but it's entirely possible to buy a "Snap On" toolbox made by the same OEM with a different label on the front for 1/10 the price.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

Oh my loving God WHAT

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Even if for whatever reason I had eighteen thousand dollars to spend on a tool chest, I would commission one out of (sustainable) tropical hardwood.

At the risk of having thematic whiplash, forget wheels. Give it a skirt and make it a hoverchest.

My brain pictured a tool chest wearing a pretty dress.

Not in a sex way!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya it’s mostly for swag and the fact that they deliver it on a platter to you, plus HF didn’t offer their boxes in green when I bought mine.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
I was turning wrenches professionally for the better part of a decade and I rocked my Harbor Freight special for the entire time. Don't get tricked into getting one of those monstrosities on credit. I was never tempted to get a Snap On box but i did have some serious interest in the off-brand Montezuma/Tool Vault/Extreme tools boxes (which even have the hutch if you feel the need to play Keeping-Up-With-The-Neighbors). They are a fraction of the price with similiar specs and features if anyone is looking at an upgrade without the gigantic markup.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, those boxes look nice, but I can't see ever wanting to own one unless I'm "lose $7b in one day and not notice it" rich. Or if someone else is paying for it.

My harbor freight boxes are very nice and more than adequate.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wonder if anyone has taken apart the HF "red" box (it used to only be red, and come in 26 or 44 inch varieties) and upgraded the slides and whatever else makes a toolbox over 10k.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

coupedeville posted:

I was turning wrenches professionally for the better part of a decade and I rocked my Harbor Freight special for the entire time. Don't get tricked into getting one of those monstrosities on credit. I was never tempted to get a Snap On box but i did have some serious interest in the off-brand Montezuma/Tool Vault/Extreme tools boxes (which even have the hutch if you feel the need to play Keeping-Up-With-The-Neighbors). They are a fraction of the price with similiar specs and features if anyone is looking at an upgrade without the gigantic markup.

Looking at the montezuma specifically, I see the 72x30 box is 4200 CAD plus shipping? I paid around 8500 CAD for my box plus the old box I had paid 2800 for. So roughly 1/3 the price?

I know drat well I’ve bought a luxury product, there are much better deals to be had. Snap-on is 100% Louis Vuitton for mechanics. Boxes don’t make you money, and no one should buy a box like this until they are making real money with an established tool set and even then, it’s absolutely a vanity buy. I warn any and all apprentices to keep their butts off the tool trucks and buy their gear piecemeal at the usual establishments, because every buck they spend for tools is a buck they don’t take home.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Just to give you an idea, I dug through my old emails and found an internal flyer to me from Snap-on Industrial brands in late 2019. These are the same manufacturer as Snap On branded cabinets.

These are not 68" cabinets but give you an idea of what similar quality chests from the same manufacturer without the Snap on name and truck guy markups should cost.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

slidebite posted:

Just to give you an idea, I dug through my old emails and found an internal flyer to me from Snap-on Industrial brands in late 2019. These are the same manufacturer as Snap On branded cabinets.

These are not 68" cabinets but give you an idea of what similar quality chests from the same manufacturer without the Snap on name and truck guy markups should cost.

Yeah, I have that 55x24 box, and it’s really nice. Unfortunately, Williams doesn’t list the larger ones IIRC