Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

10 hours without aiming for 100% is good and i'm glad that every game isn't trying to squeeze 30 hours out of people with half of that being boring filler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The United States posted:

Axiom Verge is weird in that the first is mostly Metroid and the sequel is instead very 'Vania, right down to being melee and magic (hacking) based

Yeah, Axiom Verge is one of my favorite games of all time. The second one is just about up there too it really clicked with me, but it's crazy how different it is from the original in so many ways while still absolutely being a sequel to Axiom Verge. It's just as focused as the original too, just on a different aspect of the setting.

I hope Bloodstained 2 has more consistent graphics. Some of the areas have absolutely gorgeous backgrounds while some looked really bad. The character models weren't amazing but were fine, but being against some of the nicer stages really makes all the little imperfections in them more obvious.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 6, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hated how all the extra content in Hollow Knight is aimed exclusively at high-skill floor players. The bonus bosses are harder than before but you don't get any new toys or bonuses.

That poo poo honestly lowered my opinion of the game and dampened my enthusiasm for whatever sequel comes out. Who on earth has the patience for a 50-round boss-rush that has no checkpoints, which gates one of the game's ending cinematics?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hated how all the extra content in Hollow Knight is aimed exclusively at high-skill floor players. The bonus bosses are harder than before but you don't get any new toys or bonuses.

That poo poo honestly lowered my opinion of the game and dampened my enthusiasm for whatever sequel comes out. Who on earth has the patience for a 50-round boss-rush that has no checkpoints, which gates one of the game's ending cinematics?

nerds?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The actual brutal stuff is all sequestered in the Godhome section and is the most optional of optional stuff. It's not like the actual story ending is locked behind any of that stuff.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

i get why people like hollow knight, but i dislike it for the same reasons, i think. Namely, that it is as tedious a game as I have ever played.

but people also go nuts over poo poo like Dwarf Fortress, so there's an audience for a game like Hollow Knight

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

10-12 hours sub 100 percent completion is :discourse: imo. perfect metroid length

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

robot roll call posted:

10-12 hours sub 100 percent completion is :discourse: imo. perfect metroid length

Absolutely. Hearing that is excellent news. A 30 hour metroid would be miserable.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Can’t understand complaining that it’s ten hours, like people aren’t gonna replay it on hard or try to do speedruns or low % runs and end up playing it over and over. That’s kind of the point!

Hell, I’ve played through Super Metroid twice in the past month. Once was to scratch the itch and the second time was to impress my seven-year-old nephew and show him the game which he thought was super cool. I wish Fusion was on the Switch because I’m not gonna hook up my WiiU just to play it and I don’t have an ambassador 3DS or working GBA.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'd only want a really long Metroid game if it was like one of the earlier Prime 2 and 3 concepts where there was going to be a lot of side planets with their own little story/bounty to hunt/upgrades you could use elswhere and you could do them in whatever order in addition to the main non-linear planet exploration.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Honestly that length sounds great. Quite a few games like that want to be as long as possible so they kind of bloat out some stuff to accomplish that, or are just naturally long. But not as many shorter ones really.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Keep in mind, these are reviewers - "8-10 hours" might actually be "4-6 hours for a competent player."

Which would still, honestly, be fine, but yeah.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Honestly, I'd rather the game be on the shorter side. A series as replayable as Metroid shouldn't be taking double digit hours unless you're really stopping to smell the roses or going for a 100%.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I think we are well past needing expensive games to be long anyways. I just want the game to be good all the way through, which seems likely now.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Bleck posted:

Keep in mind, these are reviewers - "8-10 hours" might actually be "4-6 hours for a competent player."

i mean, i assume i'm going to take like 2-3 hours on my second playthrough

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The appeal of metroid has always been that you can tackle a run in a day anytime you want so honestly 10 hours seems a bit on the long side to me haha

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mandatory lesbian posted:

The appeal of metroid has always been that you can tackle a run in a day anytime you want so honestly 10 hours seems a bit on the long side to me haha

That's insane. But then again I'm surprised there isn't a really good Metroidvania roguelike/randomised game to support that kind of play (Dead Cells and Rogue Legacy aren't Metroidvanias, contrary to idiots being dumb).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

roguelikes and metroid just aren't really a good mix imo.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Alright so I finished Samus Returns a few days back. There's a really great 4-5 hour game in there that's been ruthlessly padded into an 8-10 hour game. For everything I found in the game to like there were two or three annoyances surrounding it that slowly ground me down. I can't see myself replaying it, but eventually I'd like to give both the original and AM2R a shot to see variations on that theme.

I skipped over Super Metroid and started playing Fusion as I'm running out of time before Dread releases. I'm up to the spider boss (who destroyed me instantly so time to backtrack to him) and I'm absolutely loving it so far. The tightly focused areas that you explore and the bite sized heavily directed mission structure makes it perfect for handheld play. Even if I've only had 10-15 minutes I've been able to dive in and make some progress. Samus feels great to control and enemies have been varied enough to add spice to avoiding them but not so bullet spongy that I can't just blast my way through where needed - a very refreshing change from Samus Returns. Also, the game builds tension with the SA-X very well and my heart was in my mouth the first time I had to actively run away from it after grabbing the power bombs rather than just quietly hiding.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Even randomizers for metroid games aren't really trivial. If I remember right they're only just getting a fusion one working and it can still soft lock you. I don't know if there even is one for Zero Mission. Granted modding an old game and designing one from scratch are different tasks, but designing an expansive static map that can support randomization in a meaningful way isn't easy.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The Speedrun will be sub 3 hours first day almost for sure

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

how long were the metroid primes? obviously entirely different types of games compared to super metroid or dread, but i don't think they were that long either.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Went to a walmart to see if someone goof'd up and had physical copies early. No dice.

If I get it digitally does it unlock at midnight eastern or pacific time?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

abelwingnut posted:

how long were the metroid primes? obviously entirely different types of games compared to super metroid or dread, but i don't think they were that long either.

HLTB (which can be wildly inaccurate depending on who's submitting times) has the Primes in the 15-18 hour window while the main series are all 4-8 hours - with the exception of Samus Returns which is 11.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleopolis posted:

Went to a walmart to see if someone goof'd up and had physical copies early. No dice.

If I get it digitally does it unlock at midnight eastern or pacific time?

If I remember MH Rise correctly, I think it is midnight eastern. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting in some metroid time tomorrow night on the west coast.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i get why people like hollow knight, but i dislike it for the same reasons, i think. Namely, that it is as tedious a game as I have ever played.

but people also go nuts over poo poo like Dwarf Fortress, so there's an audience for a game like Hollow Knight

My biggest problem with Hollow Knight was that on the whole, the players power level never really grows that much. Like there’s never any kind of Ace in the Hole power up, like say Screw Attack or whatever that crazy Wind Sword is called, that just lets you trivialize most basic enemies. The closest you ever get to that are those Black Fireballs or whatever but Magic never really stops being a fairly limited source.

Normally this wouldn’t be a terribly big deal, but with the sheer amount of backtracking you gotta do, it gets very very tedious after a while. Even after opening up all the little shortcuts and fast travel stations it still gets dull because the time to kill on everything feels too long.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

chumbler posted:

If I remember MH Rise correctly, I think it is midnight eastern. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting in some metroid time tomorrow night on the west coast.

Ah.

Either way just bought and downloaded it early. Thank god I have Friday off! :toot:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bleck posted:

whenever I see a game is like 10 hrs it's usually going to be more like 15 to 16 for me since unlike a games journalist on a hamster wheel I can just take my time and not race through it blindly.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I'm pretty sure about 8-10 hours is roughly the length of a first playthrough of literally every 2D Metroid game. If you didn't think those felt too short there's no reason to think this one will either.

And also yeah, additional runs, 100%, hard mode... there's way more than 10 hours total playtime in it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bleck posted:

I've seen the whole game and I think even someone who is a Metroid series expert would have trouble finishing a first playthrough in under 8 hours unless they really tried to rush.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’ve heard a lot of things about reviewers but never have I heard reviewers called fast.

If anything you should cut some time because they are annoyingly slow

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It was mentioned in many reviews and even previews, but I'll spoiler it anyway (regarding progression) having the morph ball be obtained relatively late rather than almost immediately seems like a pretty gutsy but neat decision. You still have some degree of tunneling from the slide, but it's going to leave so many potential paths to remember and go back to later, and presumably that would also mean fewer instances where you go down a morph ball path only to find you still don't have the thing you'll need for the end of it.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Love game threads on the eve of their release where people drag out the old game length hand-wringing once again :newlol:

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 7, 2021

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Orange Crush Rush posted:

My biggest problem with Hollow Knight was that on the whole, the players power level never really grows that much. Like there’s never any kind of Ace in the Hole power up, like say Screw Attack or whatever that crazy Wind Sword is called, that just lets you trivialize most basic enemies. The closest you ever get to that are those Black Fireballs or whatever but Magic never really stops being a fairly limited source.

Normally this wouldn’t be a terribly big deal, but with the sheer amount of backtracking you gotta do, it gets very very tedious after a while. Even after opening up all the little shortcuts and fast travel stations it still gets dull because the time to kill on everything feels too long.

It's cliché to say at this point but Hollow Knight is closer to a Dark Souls type game, it's more about building skill than upgrades and abilities. I started a new playthrough for fun and I was just ruthlessly obliterating things that were brick walls for me my first playthrough.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

You know on further review I'd like to say that the spider boss in Metroid Fusion can, and I cannot stress this enough, gently caress right off.

why am i so bad at games

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
See you next mission!

https://imgur.com/a/aD2XZRR

In-game time is 7 hours 25 min with 45% item completion. Did some backtracking when I got stuck, but not a lot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gotta say I like that throwback clear time screen.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

chumbler posted:

Switch game unlock times are not consistent and there's no way to actually know until they unlock unless the dev actually posts the unlock times somewhere. Sometimes it's midnight EST sometimes it's 9 AM the next day. That said I think every first party Nintendo game I can remember has been at midnight EST

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Reviews are looking good. Like others have said, I've seen an average length of anywhere between 7-10 hours at 70-85% completion. Considering I took 5.5 hours to beat Super Metroid after not playing it for years, I'm not going to complain. In fact, a common theme I'm hearing is that the game is downright hard, which is encouraging to me. After playing Hyperlight Drifter, Dead Cells, and Hades I welcome a (beatable) challenge, even if I do have to bang my head against it for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

robot roll call posted:

It's cliché to say at this point but Hollow Knight is closer to a Dark Souls type game, it's more about building skill than upgrades and abilities. I started a new playthrough for fun and I was just ruthlessly obliterating things that were brick walls for me my first playthrough.

Right but that doesn't relieve the tedium of going back to that loving water city for the umpteenth time, because even though you are good enough to style on everything down there, it still takes multiple hits and fireballs to kill them, y'know?
There's nothing wrong with relying on skill for some games but I do think for a M̶e̶t̶r̶o̶i̶d̶v̶a̶n̶i̶a̶ whatever the gently caress we are calling this genre, there has to be a bigger emphasis on player power levels.
Like going through Norfair for the umpteenth time never feels bad after you get the Screw Attack and Speed Booster and you can just Juggernaut your way through it to get to Ridley.