Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'd never heard of about half of them so I'm very much looking forward to trying them and definitely making notes for future reference/cheese buying. The amazing thing is that while the brother loves cheese, he can't eat blue cheese (headaches) so even with that massive exception, they were able to get a pretty huge variety of cheeses. They also brought me loads of buckwheat galettes so I'm going to be eating breton stuff for a good while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It's getting to be good soup weather and recently I've been trying to make more of my own broth. So far almost entirely from whole roast chicken leftovers. I'd like to branch out, though. Anyone have any hot homemade broth tips? Your preferred flavorings would be good too.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Anno posted:

It's getting to be good soup weather

IT IS ALWAYS GOOD SOUP WEATHER

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Anno posted:

It's getting to be good soup weather and recently I've been trying to make more of my own broth. So far almost entirely from whole roast chicken leftovers. I'd like to branch out, though. Anyone have any hot homemade broth tips? Your preferred flavorings would be good too.

Making really good vegetable stock is pretty much the easiest thing in the world. Just save vegetable trimmings (avoid leafy greens and starchy vegetables) and roast them a bit before tossing them in the stock pot. Onion, celery, and carrots make up the base of practically every Basic Vegetable Stock, but also toss in mushrooms, leeks, bell pepper can work, so on and some spices (I like bay leaf and thyme) and some salt and pepper, and go.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Corn cobs are a great addition to a stock, as are Parmesan rinds. You can save a lot of vegetable trimmings and use them in stock too. Mushroom stems, pepper ends, leek greens, lemongrass tops. Avoid brassicas, but pretty much everything else is fair game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Some good suggestions there thanks. So far I've just been adding carrots, onions, thyme, rosemary, salt/pepper and a bay leaf. It's very good but something like lemongrass seems like a good way to add a bit to it. And I have some extra corn cobs from dinner tonight so I'll throw those in, too.

I also have some sichuan peppercorns which I imagine will either do nothing or totally overflavor it but I'm gonna try anyway.

Anno fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 6, 2021

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sounds like you need some garlic and ginger in there. And I wouldn't recommend sichuan peppercorns because that'll make your stock a lot less versatile, but like you said, you're gonna do it anyway.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Oh right garlic goes in there too of course. Just forgot to list it. Ginger sounds like a good idea though.

I assume the sichuan won't be great but I want to try it at least once and see what happens. I'll probably end up drinking like a fourth of this by itself anyway. A warm glass of broth is so nice and soothing on a cool evening.

Anno fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 6, 2021

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah Sichuan peppercorn is great in a soup base, but if I was just making stock I'd just make "plain" stock and then add whatever more assertive flavours later when I was using the stock to make soup or whatever.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Fair enough! I'll save them for when I make some actual soup with the stock.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Those of you using prickly ash (Sichuan peppercorn) in soup bases, are you straining the soup out at some point to remove this, if you're using the whole peppercorn? Or are you grinding it in a M&P first?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Those of you using prickly ash (Sichuan peppercorn) in soup bases, are you straining the soup out at some point to remove this, if you're using the whole peppercorn? Or are you grinding it in a M&P first?
I've never strained peppercorns out of a soup base. Occasionally you'll use whole peppercorns and strain them out if you're infusing oil or something, but I wouldn't do it in general. And generally speaking they'll go in ground if you're just adding them as-is, and whole if you're going to toast them or something first. I've got a pepper mill devoted to Sichuan peppercorns so that's what I pick up when I want them ground, but a m&p will work as well.

Note though: Sichuan peppercorn and prickly ash are different plants, at least in common usage. They're all in the genus Zanthoxylum, but prickly ash is Z. americanum, a New World species. Sichuan peppercorns come from cultivars of one of a few different Zanthoxylum species, Z. bungeanum, Z. armatum, Z. simulans, and a few others, all Old World plants. There are also a number of other Zanthoxylum species grown in other parts of Asia--Z. rhetsa in India, Z. piperitum in Japan and Korea, and so on. And there are multiple cultivars of the individual species, or at least the ones cultivated commercially.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SubG posted:

I've never strained peppercorns out of a soup base. Occasionally you'll use whole peppercorns and strain them out if you're infusing oil or something, but I wouldn't do it in general. And generally speaking they'll go in ground if you're just adding them as-is, and whole if you're going to toast them or something first. I've got a pepper mill devoted to Sichuan peppercorns so that's what I pick up when I want them ground, but a m&p will work as well.

Note though: Sichuan peppercorn and prickly ash are different plants, at least in common usage. They're all in the genus Zanthoxylum, but prickly ash is Z. americanum, a New World species. Sichuan peppercorns come from cultivars of one of a few different Zanthoxylum species, Z. bungeanum, Z. armatum, Z. simulans, and a few others, all Old World plants. There are also a number of other Zanthoxylum species grown in other parts of Asia--Z. rhetsa in India, Z. piperitum in Japan and Korea, and so on. And there are multiple cultivars of the individual species, or at least the ones cultivated commercially.

Oh, that's wild. There's no English on the package I have and the super nice guy who helped me find it in an Asian grocery store called it prickly ash. I wonder if this is why my Sichuan beans don't hit right.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Oh, that's wild. There's no English on the package I have and the super nice guy who helped me find it in an Asian grocery store called it prickly ash. I wonder if this is why my Sichuan beans don't hit right.
Huh. Looking up "prickly ash" it looks like that's just what the locals call whatever Zanthoxylum species is native to the area, so my belief that it's exclusively Z. americanum is just local prejudice. Fuckin' common names.

Anyway, if the package says 花椒 somewhere, that's Sichuan peppercorn. It may also say 红花椒, which just means it's the dried red peppercorns instead of 青花椒, which are the young, green peppercorns.

If it says 山椒 then that's Japanese sansho pepper, a closely related and somewhat milder and more citrusy peppercorn. There's also a Korean term for this stuff but I don't know what it is. And if it's one of the Indian, Nepali, Malaysian, or whatever varieties you're on your own with them too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SubG posted:

Huh. Looking up "prickly ash" it looks like that's just what the locals call whatever Zanthoxylum species is native to the area, so my belief that it's exclusively Z. americanum is just local prejudice. Fuckin' common names.

Anyway, if the package says 花椒 somewhere, that's Sichuan peppercorn. It may also say 红花椒, which just means it's the dried red peppercorns instead of 青花椒, which are the young, green peppercorns.

If it says 山椒 then that's Japanese sansho pepper, a closely related and somewhat milder and more citrusy peppercorn. There's also a Korean term for this stuff but I don't know what it is. And if it's one of the Indian, Nepali, Malaysian, or whatever varieties you're on your own with them too.

This is interesting so I went and found the package, turns out there is some english on it, "Hwa Gu Peppercorn". Googling looks like this may be some Korean variant? The packaging is certainly in I think traditional Chinese and it's from China.

My main use for this is I toasted a bunch and ground it and mixed it 1:1 with a black peppercorn, and I keep that in a mason jar in the kitchen and use it as a garnish when I feel like it essentially.

mystes
May 31, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

This is interesting so I went and found the package, turns out there is some english on it, "Hwa Gu Peppercorn". Googling looks like this may be some Korean variant? The packaging is certainly in I think traditional Chinese and it's from China.

My main use for this is I toasted a bunch and ground it and mixed it 1:1 with a black peppercorn, and I keep that in a mason jar in the kitchen and use it as a garnish when I feel like it essentially.
That's Sichuan pepper (花椒). Hwa gu might just be a weird romanization since apparently it should be hwa jiao in mandarin.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So do we need a Halloween subforum name? Cause I want Goons with Seitan :devil:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ghouls with Fazools

Ghosts with Roasts

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grave-y goons

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"To Cook Humans"

Cannibal Corpse Cooking Forum

Goons with Treats

Casu Marzu Candy Recipes! :q: :newlol:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 6, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Spooky Sporks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Spooky Sporks.

Ooh, I like it. Or Spooks With Sporks.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Frankenstein's Muenster.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Frankenstein's Muenster.

:hmmyes:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mister Facetious posted:

Spooks With Sporks.

:hmmyes:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

"To Cook Humans"

'To Serve Man' surely

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Mister Facetious posted:

Ooh, I like it. Or Spooks With Sporks.

This is my vote

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

feedmegin posted:

'To Serve Man' surely

Yeah, I just couldn't remember the exact title

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Just throwing this out there - while "spooky" is a common adjective around the Halloween season, "spooks" is not commonly used as a noun when referring to ghosts, the supernatural, etc. Its most common usage in my experience is as a racial epithet, and while I know that wouldn't be the case/intent if this subforum was entitled Spooks with Sporks, it just doesn't sit really well with me.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
Yeah, I was surprised when "spooks" was auto-censored on another webforum somewhere. I dimly know it can be used as a racial epithet but I've never encountered it that way in the wild myself. I feel like Scooby-Doo or something used to use "spooks" to talk about ghosts? I know I get it from somewhere. How common one is vs the other probably depends a lot on your particular cultural upbringing but it certainly can be uncomfortable for some.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've encountered the term in my life more as a racial slur or slang for spies than I have as a reference to ghosts.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

In my mind it's

1.) Spies/G-men
2.) Old-timey slur
3.) Ghosts
4.) Present tense of "to spook"

in generally that weighted order

mystes
May 31, 2006

I didn't know it was a racial slur. I've only ever heard it in references to spies.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Brawnfire posted:

In my mind it's

1.) Spies/G-men
2.) Old-timey slur
3.) Ghosts
4.) Present tense of "to spook"

in generally that weighted order
There is a novel and a movie based on it that pun on the first two meanings.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

In my mind it's

1.) Spies/G-men

Cooking up Coup attempts!

:commissar:

"Thanks for the lithium. Musk sends his regards."

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The Glumslinger posted:

So do we need a Halloween subforum name? Cause I want Goons with Seitan :devil:

This made me laugh

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

drat that's the best one yet

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Carillon posted:

Any good links on the gear to buy if I'm interested in getting a set up myself? I figure it's better to get a co2 tank from a local place, but everything else I should be able to get online right?

Further carbing questions, my tube from the regulator to the ball lock seems to leak something fierce. Any tips for tightening the screw clamps so I'm not also carbing the air around me?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Olla Weenies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Carillon posted:

Further carbing questions, my tube from the regulator to the ball lock seems to leak something fierce. Any tips for tightening the screw clamps so I'm not also carbing the air around me?

A screw driver won't do? Send photos of each end if that doesn't work.