Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phenotype posted:

you put her face under a cloth like they do in real life and she gets noseplugs and a tube in her mouth to feed her air. or maybe you recognize that you're only going to need a few seconds of footage so you just have her hold her breath for five or ten seconds then cut away to something else.

this isn't hard to figure out but no ones giving me millions of dollars to shoot an epic fantasy or anything

Honestly I feel like there's an area of sex stunt / consulting work that is sorely lacking in hollywood. A professional dom would have easily come up with an array of ways to "end" the scene for the safety of the actor or after accomplishing the effect.

psa: use drop sticks whenever loss of feeling or consciousness is a risk, or whenever someone's mouth is obscured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Or just, ya know, don’t actually use actual torture on your actors/actresses.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNwwt25mheo

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Consider me whelmed

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
S8 soured me on anything GoT but I can't help but be a little bit excited for this.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Matt Smith is perfect for the show he already looks like someone whose parents are siblings

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Matt Smith is perfect for the show he already looks like someone whose parents are siblings

lol

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I'm guessing this will be cancelled after two seasons.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Isn't that just Englishness?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

not a bot posted:

I bet it is on a short leash like that. It costs so much to make, and they had like 5 other concepts they worked on before settling on this. (IIRC, none of those concepts were Dunk & Egg)

Like that Marco Polo show on Netflix. If it costs $13 million an episode. it better blow the doors off ratings-wise or it's getting canned quick.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

I bet it is on a short leash like that. It costs so much to make, and they had like 5 other concepts they worked on before settling on this. (IIRC, none of those concepts were Dunk & Egg)

Like that Marco Polo show on Netflix. If it costs $13 million an episode. it better blow the doors off ratings-wise or it's getting canned quick.

Dunk and Egg would have been great (I loved those novellas more than the last few mainline books), but GRRM hasn't finished those stories either yet. It seems like they were meant to play off of the main series' endgame but DnD nope'd out of putting Bloodraven in the show, so now D&E is a companion to a plot that will likely never be finished. I have to wonder if the fuckiness with show canon vs. book canon is why HBO axed all of those side projects and went with the pitch for House.

I'd be more negative on House of the Dragon if I was sure it was slowing down Winds of Winter, but that book's likely never coming out, not to mention Dream or the eighth novel that actually needs to be made. Without IaF finishing, I'm down with a Westeros show made by people who actually like the world and setting. I've never been an LOTR fan so that show doesn't have my eyes yet, and Witcher season 2 needs to impress me to pull me back in.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

6 million views in 24 hours and #2 trending on Youtube behind only the Smash Bros announcement and no downvote bombing. Pretty impressive actually. Perhaps s8 did not do as much damage the brand and people thought.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I still think they should've gone with the prequel set 10000 years in the past.

Captain Splendid posted:

Consider me whelmed

:same:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

not a bot posted:

They will cut back on the plot related boobs in the spin off series.

No Fake Sansa moments for you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The show got worse the more bullshit like dragons was in it so this'll be bad from the start.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
crazy bad sunk cost fallacy here thinking you can resurrect this property after the Boys took a big fat poo poo on it and made it so stinky no one wants to be near it.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Why are there no dragon skulls in the red keep in the trailer? Is this a book thing where they took them out before, also?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Super Deuce posted:

Why are there no dragon skulls in the red keep in the trailer? Is this a book thing where they took them out before, also?

They’re hanging from the ceiling, just off-screen

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Super Deuce posted:

If it's 200 years before then only a handful of dragons will have died yet.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Captain Splendid posted:

I guess I didn't consider that many wouldn't be dead yet. It just sucks that we're told and told about how badass the Red Keep is with the dragon skulls everywhere, and when they show us the Red Keep before Bobby B and there are no dragons!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Captain Splendid posted:

The big, important ones would be there, though. Balerion the Dread et al. Unless they're still alive; I don't know how long dragons live.

In retrospect, this show makes sense as an attempt to salvage GoT. It's entirely about court intrigue and civil war, the elements people still seem to regard as good, with no apparent focus on the prophecy or lore-based fantasy poo poo that ground down the later seasons. There's probably no Night King, no Prince Who Was Promised, no messianic Lord of Light stuff, etc.

I can see why The Long Night fell apart after the main show, because there a significant tension would have to be the spooky mystery behind the Others, which GoT already explained in totally mundane and unsatisfying ways.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Xealot posted:

The big, important ones would be there, though. Balerion the Dread et al. Unless they're still alive; I don't know how long dragons live.

It depends with how exact they're being with 200 years (and 200 years from when?) but Balerion is supposed to have died roughly around 100 years after the conquest

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It’s so funny to go back and watch the pilot for GoT and realize “absolutely none of this matters.”

I imagine this new series will be entirely based on that premise.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Captain Splendid posted:

It depends with how exact they're being with 200 years (and 200 years from when?) but Balerion is supposed to have died roughly around 100 years after the conquest

Could maybe still be alive but like you said, the 200 years from when? The teaser says "200 years before the fall of the throne" is that the fall of the throne being the end of Targaryen rule with Robert's Rebellion, or is it the literal fall with the throne being melted by Drogon?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Well, those two events are about 20 years apart, so the approximation is about the same.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I have to believe that they're not going to tie themselves to show exclusive canon.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Pennsylvanian posted:

I have to believe that they're not going to tie themselves to show exclusive canon.

Show canon is the only canon ending

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I tried to watch Game of Thrones over again once but I had to tap out at the end of the first episode when I realized that this poor scared little girl who we watch get abused by the only family she has, forced into a marriage she doesn't want, and gets violently raped... is the bad guy, according to D&D.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I tried to watch Game of Thrones over again once but I had to tap out at the end of the first episode when I realized that this poor scared little girl who we watch get abused by the only family she has, forced into a marriage she doesn't want, and gets violently raped... is the bad guy, according to D&D.

Yeah people who defend that arc really ignore the start.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

An arc where a very sympathetic protagonist becomes an unhinged antagonist could have been amazing. But it ended up being an idiotic rush job.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Also what a total disaster that was for poor Emilia Clarke and all the poo poo she had gone through. After everything else, it really feels like they ruined the character just to spite the actress.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah people who defend that arc really ignore the start.

People defend the D&D arc for Dany?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Tankbuster posted:

People defend the D&D arc for Dany?

Dumb people.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Another point to add was that it being rape was a change they made for the show.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Captain Splendid posted:

Another point to add was that it being rape was a change they made for the show.

Oh yeah reading the books after watching the show its pretty clear that its an arranged marriage and Dany has to adjust to the culture shock. In the show its like a skyrim SL mod.

An insane mind posted:

An arc where a very sympathetic protagonist becomes an unhinged antagonist could have been amazing. But it ended up being an idiotic rush job.

Wild how Netflix's Kingdom did all those supposed story beats including unstoppable undead horrors and politics better than HBO's flagship TV show.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

it says something that before the ellipses i wasn't sure what character you were talking about

e: I mean it being the first episode should be obvious but drat there is a lot of rape on this show

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
D&D pretty clearly get off to rape and are almost certainly rapists themselves

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Xealot posted:

In retrospect, this show makes sense as an attempt to salvage GoT. It's entirely about court intrigue and civil war, the elements people still seem to regard as good, with no apparent focus on the prophecy or lore-based fantasy poo poo that ground down the later seasons. There's probably no Night King, no Prince Who Was Promised, no messianic Lord of Light stuff, etc.

There wasn't much of that stuff either. They dabbled briefly with it re: Stannis, but so surface level that none of his motivations made a blind bit of sense.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"Hey, guys, we have objective proof that God exists."

"Aight."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Tankbuster posted:

Wild how Netflix's Kingdom did all those supposed story beats including unstoppable undead horrors and politics better than HBO's flagship TV show.

And in similarly-named Netflix TV shows, "The Last Kingdom" is what happens when commanders on both sides of a military conflict are generally not morons, and if they do dumb things it's for explicable reasons.

Give Uhtred of Bebbanburg two dragons, artillery, the finest light cavalry and spear infantry in the world, a face-changing assassin and a whole goddamn castle and the Night King wouldn't have made it within 100m of Bran.