Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Haha gently caress me, DePaul is already reduced to "it was just a story!" as his semi-annual Phantom Death fakeout and he can't even have him actually die within that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Goddammit Karen Moy.

Literally the same picture flipped and recolored. Unbelievable.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Maxwell Lord posted:

Legs lines are different

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I thought that too, but no, they're slightly different. Pierre is chunkier than Sophie and the paws are drawn slightly differently. The heads are even ever-so-slightly different.

It's kind of impressive to draw the same thing twice in a way that makes it look like copy-pasting, tbh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's not, actually

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The fact that all the students call their teachers "sir" is low key one the most upsetting things about the strip.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Man I just don’t get Japanese humor.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Crab Dad posted:

Man I just don’t get Japanese humor.
Q-Rais humor, and especially Chako humor, is very much its own surreal niche thing even in Japan. (Chako was not very popular at all during its run.)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Classic Cat

[Sōmen are a wheat noodle primarily for dipping in sauce, and nagashi-sōmen is a way of eating them where they are 'served' in flowing cold water for patrons to fish out with chopsticks before dipping]

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Lots of cat and no Success! today what gives

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
The first two panels are a good example of why I love Chako.

And He Did! October 7, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True November 18, 1918

Gay and Her Gang November 19, 1929

Oaky Doaks April 21, 1936

Mopsy June 26, 1937

Up Front August 3, 1944

Dark Laughter January 22, 1949

Those Were the Days August 2, 1956

Wee Pals January 11, 1966

Dogbert June 22, 1966

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Bets was the one who encouraged Tiff to go in there and stand up for herself, but whatev

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Julet Esqu posted:

Bets was the one who encouraged Tiff to go in there and stand up for herself, but whatev

Get ready for two weeks of Tiff tripping balls on edibles completely normal brownies she presumes are edibles.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Mozz is old man who yells at cloud at this point.

"PHANTOM! I see your death! It could be from this...hold on let me tell you the story. Or THIS. Another story! We can keep going for days because I have no one else to talk to!"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Holy poo poo an actual background in a Peanuts strip. Is this the only time this has happened?

The early Sundays have plenty of them, but it's one of those things Sparky scaled back on as his long-haul style locked in.

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (February 7, 1934)

Peanuts (October 9, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

"Wait a minute...how about a guy...BUT HE'S CARRYING A PURSE! Ahahaha, I kill me."

Crankshaft

Ooooo, what a scary, soul-shaking loss. Unless (ugh) Mordor Financial is running a failing local paper as a tax loss, and if that's the case, why does it matter who's in the office? Or if you even turn on the lights most days?

This storyline lost what little plausibility it had when he actually started telling the drat story.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (May 7, 1938)

Out Our Way (July 8-10, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (February 25-27, 1918; spoiler for "industry standard" character design of an African American.)

Dok's "A Suitable Tribute" Duck (October 23, 1913)

Little Lefty (June 17-19, 1935)

Blondie (From Zero) (March 9-11, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 7, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Ooooo, what a scary, soul-shaking loss. Unless (ugh) Mordor Financial is running a failing local paper as a tax loss, and if that's the case, why does it matter who's in the office? Or if you even turn on the lights most days?

This storyline lost what little plausibility it had when he actually started telling the drat story.
The guy is probably just shocked because he thought he had fired everyone already.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

"We own the building and the business, you moron. You didn't inherit it as the last employee. All you've done is made it easier for us to cut you off even harder. We can send an intern to sit there physically if we have to. Are you alright? Are you mentally well, should you have a caretaker watching you right now?"

I haaaaaaaaate this storyline so much. It's like if you asked Bizarro to write it. My mind boggles at how often the words and events displayed declare the opposite of what is portrayed. So Skip is writing in his abandoned office that he's the only employee of the local paper in his small midwestern American town and actually shows scenes of his standard news reporting: he attends local events and writes down that they happened. So of course he writes that his paper "is a check against those in power", the romantic dream of the media in America. Yeah sure, Batiuk isn't going to do anything approaching nuance about the semi-mythical ideal for fictional reporters that was brought about by Watergate and stories inspired by it. Considering that Skip looks like the nicest, gentlest guy in the entire city I can't believe he's ever done anything more risky and offensive to anyone then asked candidates for mayor to recite their campaign bulletpoints. He's missing an arm and given his age maybe he actually did pen some mighty fine articles about a war at the time but the idea(and he directly references the nefarious Russians and fake news) that Skip and the Sentinel could hold a corrupt dog catcher in check is a bad joke.

Thinking fast Skip drives multiple hours to New York itself to dramatically confront Evil Financers in person, even though they're ignoring his calls, sabotaging his business and either keeping him on as a matter of convenience to maintain the facade the paper is open for some reason, or because they literally forgot and don't care. Or they're just waiting him out for some nefarious HR reason like denying him benefits or unemployment, who knows. I can't imagine what benefit anyone but Skip gets from the paper publishing with one reporter's worth of hunt and pecked stories, so we can assume it's only putting out purely ceremonial once a week printings or something. Imagine driving 8-12 hours round-trip to be told "Go away, you idiot."

Skip somehow gets past the literally impossible challenge of the front door and any security guard saying "No" and "If you don't leave I will detain you and call the police." For some reason Wevil Moneyman is going to hear Skip out and even asks him if he wants a raise, presumably for doing nothing. Skip appeals to the goodness(?!) of Moneyman's heart and at no point does Moneyman say "Dude, we're shutting your paper down, sod off." Then Skip dramatically announces that he will not line the pockets of Moneyman's firm any longer with the triple digits in forgotten, reoccurring subscription costs that the Sentinel still rakes in. This seems to shock Moneyman who was in charge of shutting the paper down because now the paper will shut down slightly faster. And I love the idiocy soaking the whole story of Skip sniffing his own farts about keeping the powerful in check when the first group with a tier of money greater than the owners of the Sentinel pretty efficiently dismantled them effortlessly. Because powerful politicians never throw money around to get what they want. I'm sure Skip will go home and his final article(which he is penning now so it's a flashback narrative or whatever) will arouse the righteous anger of the public and Evil Banking Group will lose their entire stock value in a single afternoon.

But God drat. How is this worse then the Les Moore trash and the Boomer Comic Men garbage? This is insultingly bad. It assumes you don't understand cause and effect, the passage of time, that you can't remember things from day to day, that you'll stand up and clap obediently because somebody vaguely resembling a well known heroic cliche stands up and Does The Right Thing. gently caress off Batiuk.

:tipshat: OK, thank you for letting me indulge in thread tradition. In a happier one here's:

Jucika "302 - Jucika As An Attendant"

"303 - Jucika As A Poster"

"Európa-Bajnokság=European Championship"

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 7, 2021

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Goddammit Karen Moy.
This looks like the lamest coat of arms.

Deux bouledogues Français combatant, gris dexter, beige sinister.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Good Listener posted:

Was it this one from an old PYF thread?

Thank you so much!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 27, 1947)
Tired easily these days ... knocked up?

B Kliban

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

Mozz is old man who yells at cloud at this point.

"PHANTOM! I see your death! It could be from this...hold on let me tell you the story. Or THIS. Another story! We can keep going for days because I have no one else to talk to!"

"I'd talk to my kids, but do they ever come see me? Nooo...."

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Jan 22, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 8-9, 1990)

Blind Alley

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: making plans for the wedding (December 8-14, 2003)

A brief history of humans in this strip.

Humans first appeared as a creature imagined by Lindesfarne for her online roleplay in mid-1996: later on, she introduced the concept to Rudy (December 29-31, 1998).

Rudy, in turn, started a webcomic starring human characters (March 11, 2001); the comic strip gained popularity, until it had a really big audience (July 30 - August 3, 2001). However, reading the strip somehow caused the animals in hellworld to lose their natural instincts, so Aura was recalled from the past by the Birdluminati and took a post as assistant coach of Rudy's high school hunting team, giving the team lots of work to do: Rudy didn't have any time left to draw his webcomic, so he shut it down (August 18-23, 2001), and that apparently fixed the instinct loss thing.

Later on, however, it turns out that humans are actually real, and they live in a parallel world: Ralph and Martha (and their daughters Corrie and Fiona) found this out when Ralph and Martha went on their honeymoon, were shipwrecked, and accidentally crossed over to the human world. They returned fairly quickly, but because of a hiccup Martha was stuck as a human for a while, until it was accidentally fixed (June 22 - July 22, 2002).

The next time humans show up it's the whole Danielle Kendall storyline, but we're still in the middle of that so I'll stop here for now.

However, today's Modern Kevin & Kell strip is actually about humans!

You've been good-ish with these kind of issues so far, Holbrook, but tread really carefully about this one.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
what a loving combo of strips and topics

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Slammy posted:

The first two panels are a good example of why I love Chako.

And He Did! October 7, 1918

The U-68 gets sunk by HMS Farnborough in March 1916, becoming the first submarine ever to get sunk with depth charges.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I'm just about caught up to the thread on K&K (just got to 2002) and this has been a fuckin ride

I expected this to be just a mindfuck but occasionally it's genuinely funny. Most of it's just a strong exhale, but once in a while there's a strip that's a solid chortle or more.

That being said, I don't have the mental constitution to archive binge all the way through to see if either of Holbrook's other comics aren't actually as inscrutable as they seem.

e: I think what's getting me most about this is that Holbrook Hellworld is absolutely bonkers, but it's internally consistent. This honestly excuses so much of the bugfuck insanity because that's such a terrifyingly low bar to clear and he manages to not only do it but do it in a way that's entertaining and and genuinely well executed. To relate it to a different genre, schlocky science fiction can be downright awful, but if it's internally consistent and entertaining then it's the kind of thing that can go for a decade or longer and still be worth tuning in for every day.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 7, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It would also seem humans, or post-humans that left the ruined earth somehow still live in K&K world but on some star, based on earlier strips with lindesfarne watching the stars.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (January 8, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 8, 2000)

Garfield Classic (January 8, 1990)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Those Were the Days May 21, 2061

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Always appreciate an Asimov reference.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/6/01

Brenda Starr 5/8-10/47

Smokey Stover 9/26/43

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

It would also seem humans, or post-humans that left the ruined earth somehow still live in K&K world but on some star, based on earlier strips with lindesfarne watching the stars.

But the timeline was reset by the birds when they created their parallel stream (implying that every time they used their time machine they were happy to be universe hopping rather than changing their previous universe). The humans now never existed to leave. It also raises questions of why they ever left if they had time travel. Just jump streams and reset to an earlier Earth and save on house hunting.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The "Timelines look like a DNA" thing never, ever comes up again.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

yet

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 10/6/01

:3: Bucky can be sweet.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 10/6/01

oh my god :3: :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

goatface posted:

But the timeline was reset by the birds when they created their parallel stream (implying that every time they used their time machine they were happy to be universe hopping rather than changing their previous universe). The humans now never existed to leave. It also raises questions of why they ever left if they had time travel. Just jump streams and reset to an earlier Earth and save on house hunting.

Yes but those strips also exists that hints at the existence of off world humans despite that. It's all such a huge mess and nonscensical in the way the timelines ended up interwinted that I choose to believe the off-world K&K humans escaped all that nonsense just by virtue of placing enough distance between themselves and earth.

edit: One could probably cobble up some nonsene theory they use their time travel tech as FTL travel and somehow got insulated from the timeline alterings of the birbs.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 7, 2021