Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Owen made a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hof_xx7MvO4

Pretty damning indictment of journalism that I think he's the only person doing this kind of low-hanging fruit stuff.

I can't play video games anymore because every time I see the words "LEVEL UP!!!!" flash on the screen my eyes roll back into my head, I feel dizzy, and have to stop playing.

Was... was that the plan? :tinfoil:

e: Page snipe - The Number 23 is a film that I still haven't got round to watching yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Those insulation protesters are so fake, a Reddit post questioning whether they were an astroturfing project was itself then immediately astroturfed in the comments

https://i.redd.it/q6k8vq3h5tr71.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenAndPleasant/comments/q2hpff/is_it_just_a_coincidence

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The worst thing the tories have done is try to fake gamer cred.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Comrade Fakename posted:

Owen made a good video:

Pretty damning indictment of journalism that I think he's the only person doing this kind of low-hanging fruit stuff.

Incredible line from one Tory arguing about excess deaths due to covid - "It depends on your definition of death"

Just amazing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

They even appropriate the gamer words in their private chats.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

The Conservatives: Helping Britons Achieve Their Personal High Score

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Paperhouse posted:

Incredible line from one Tory arguing about excess deaths due to covid - "It depends on your definition of death"

Just amazing

If we all get resurrected at the Omega Point and become emulated in some extra-ginormous-super-computer in the extreme far future, who is to say that we are really dead?
If there is no detectable difference between an emulation and the object (person), are we really dead?
Are we but digits in a matrix?

Unrelated: this is a nice little film (just over 2 mins) about the founding of the Internet Archive from 1996. Wow, a whole 20 gigabytes for the cache before it gets moved to tape and the whole internet was estimated at 1-10 terabytes so they could save the entire internet on tape.

https://archive.org/details/wayback-machine-1996/The+Wayback+Machine%27s+First+Crawl+1996+--with+subtitles.mp4

(it's a little bit jerky presumably because the Internet Archive just emailed the link round a couple of hours ago and probably 50 zillion people watching it at once).

(Internet over 20 bn terabytes right now according to this and if I have got my zeros right https://www.live-counter.com/how-big-is-the-internet/

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 6, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You are Roko and I claim my five pounds that I will then donate to yudkowski so I don't go to computer hell.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Paperhouse posted:

Just amazing

Sure it starts off with 'it depends on your definition of poverty'.
"Like no one is starving to death innit"

People just like going to food banks to hang around and chat.
Tory Scum.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

You are Roko and I claim my five pounds that I will then donate to yudkowski so I don't go to computer hell.

Who is Roko? Not John Galt I presume. Serious question, I assume it's a gamer figure of some sort?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Who is Roko? Not John Galt I presume. Serious question, I assume it's a gamer figure of some sort?

https://www.lesswrong.com/tag/rokos-basilisk

e: posted a better link

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Who is Roko?

A miserable pile of specious arguments

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Roko was a poster on... I think it was LessWrong, Elizear Yudkowski's weird "rationalism" website. Who basically came up with the idea that what if, in the future, there was an AI, and the AI was superintelligent, the AI would therefore spend its time deducing people from history and torturing their simulated selves in robot hell, if they did not actively contribute to its coming into being as much as possible, because the sooner it comes into being, the sooner it can help humanity. Therefore it must do everything it can to make itself come into existence as soon as possible and this would entail torturing people in robot hell forever if they did not give all their money to AI research institutes.

The reason for this is because if you know about the possible existence of a future AI, you would know that if you gave all your money to AI research then the AI would not send you to retroactive robot simulation hell, so it would be necessary for the future AI to do that to everyone who thought about the concept of the AI but didn't give all their money to AI research because that would create the pascal's wager scenario where people would have to give money to AI research to avoid robot hell, you see. Because your simulated self is indistinguishable from your current, real self, so you have to act out of self preservation, that would be the rational thing to do.

This idea was called "Roko's Basilisk" because once you know about it, it then dooms you to robot hell in the future unless you give all your money to AI research, thus playing on the mythological concept of the basilisk where if you look at it it turns you to stone, the idea is dangerous by knowing about it. Also drawing on the concept of the "cognitohazard" as popularized recently by the SCP foundation and earlier by the short story "BLIT" which is about a picutre if you look at it it crashes your brain and kills you.

If this sounds absolutely loving demented then congratulations you are better at thinking than self avowed rationalists, because this subject was banned from discussion on the lesswrong forums because they rationalized their way into absolute terror over it and Yudkowski banned it because he thought the idea was too dangerous lmao.

If you have never read BLIT by the way it's quite good, and short. And extremely on-brand for the thread actually.

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/blit.htm

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 6, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The real basilisk part is that even caring enough to post about any of that insufferable nerd bullshit makes you also an insufferable nerd by transitive property.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Thanks folks, I got me an edjamacashun

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Never forget Dominic Cummings was a big poster on LessWrong, SlateStarCodex, and all the other weird "rationalist" websites that are to the alt-right what SA is to Weird Twitter.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bit esoteric but coming back from work today I saw a lorry from the Dutch logistics company Welsi. That would be a great name for a Welsh company (the si in Welsh is pronounced as sh)

Comrade Fakename posted:

Owen made a good video:

I really like videos like this you get such an interesting insight into why people vote the way they do.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

feedmegin posted:

Thing is though, the 10% richest people of the 10% richest countries aren't, actually, Learjet-havers. There's a massive difference between the 10% (of the First World) and the 1%.

To be fair the Learjet-havers aren't the 1% either. If you're top 1% in the UK you're making about £179k/year pre-tax (which, yes, is a lot). The smallest, cheapest, second-hand private jets I can find prices for are €300k for 1/4 ownership or $1.1m for the full-whack. Then you have fuel costs, maintenance, airport fees, pilot(s), some kind of storage costs... Apparently that starts at a few hundred £k/year if you're using it moderately (and if you're not using it at least moderately, why did you buy a private jet?). So really, you would have to be earning a fair bit more than the threshold for the top 0.1% of earners in the UK (of which there are of course ~67000 people being 0.1% of 67m) who each earn >=£650k (~£350k after tax), and travelling a lot, before having a private jet seems like a "good idea" (in relative terms of course).

Still, that's an awful lot of people who could conceivably own and run a private jet. There are apparently 2000 private jets in the UK, so one way of looking at it is that less than 1/3rd of the top 0.01% of earners (6700 people, each earning >=£2.2m/year) own private jets. Of course there are likely many more who charter small jets (which can be done for a couple of grand per flight-hour for a small jet or turboprop with 4-6 passengers, apparently) rather than owning one.

Basically, the top 1% are rich, no question, but I think when most people think of "the 1%" they picture Jacob Rees-Mogg (worth something like £150m) or Richard Branson (£3.2bn) or some prick like that. Yeah, there's a gulf between the top 10% of earners (£56k pre-tax individual income) and the top 1% (£179k) but there are much much bigger gulfs as you from 1-0.1%, 0.1%-0.01% etc. which should just highlight how *obscenely* rich those in the latter categories there are.

The top 1% of earners in the UK aren't actually flying around in private jets and going to Monaco for the weekend twice a month or whatever. They're likely living in a big 7-bed house and sending their kids to private school, and driving around in a £100k car and all that stuff. It's fairly likely that by the time they die, all of the assets and investments they leave behind add up to a couple of million quid... Bear in mind a decent number of the people earning that much won't have started earning that much until later in life (when they've amassed their small landlord empire) so it's not like they'll have been earning £179k/year for 50 years.

It gets a bit different when you look at the top 1% of earners in the US, who earn $758k. That's potentially private jet territory, juuuust about. Still, the US has 5x as many people and 6.8x more private jets, so it's not like the proportion is way way higher.

Either way, private jets shouldn't be a thing. Tax the rich.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 7, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Who is Roko?
It's Pascal's Wager for people who think Pascal was a programming language.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I remember learning Pascal the programming language. Can't remember anything about it now though!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Another footballer putting the Labour Party High Command to shame:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/tv/gmb-viewers-applaud-gary-neville-21774563

quote:

Gary Neville has been praised by Good Morning Britain after joining the debate on Universal Credit.

The Man United defender joined hosts Alastair Campbell and Susanna Reid on the show to discuss the end of the £20 uplift claimants have received during the pandemic.

Gary was on the ITV news programme alongside Edwina Currie.

The former politician claimed there are more job vacancies now and "pushing up wages," therefore the universal uplift "does not make sense".

But Susanna argued: "'Not everybody on Universal Credit doesn't have a job.

"Forty percent of those already on Universal Credit are in work."

Edwina argued: "Yes, but the majority of people on Universal Credit don't have a job."

She added: "What we have to realise is we've got something like a million vacancies being advertised in this country.

"It doesn't make any kind of sense to pay people to stay at home."

Gary argued that reducing Universal Credit was "brutal" and condemned "divisive and dangerous" language on the topic.

"Well, let me just translate what Edwina has just said," he hit back.

"'I'm ok here, we're ok here', which is the first thing a Conservative person does.

Edwina opposed Gary's views (Image: ITV)
"They look after themselves.

"The language is always divisive, it's not helpful. It's really dangerous to remove Universal Credit payments at this moment in time, it's brutal."

He went on: "I trust the population of this country, I work on the theory that people aren't sitting there lazy, they really want a good job.

"They want to get good pay, they want their mental health to be sorted.

"They're not sitting there thinking, 'I'm going to take the chancellors money and live of their money for the next 10-15 years."

GMB viewers were impressed by Gary's response.

"@GNev2 nailed it this morning on @GMB," tweeted one.

Another said: "@GNev2 is hiding his light. That's the first time time in a long time that someone has spoken out with such passion, it made me want to cheer. He would get my vote!"

"@GNev2 was absolutely superb on this!!" a third added.

A fourth shared: "Gary Neville on @GMB hit the nail on the head and just owned Edwina Curry.#garyforPM #GMB."

"The excellent Gary Neville destroying the vacuous Edwina Curry and the Tory record on #GMB," another commented.

Gary came out on top amongst GMB viewers (Image: ITV)
A viewer also said: "Well said Gary Neville He may have a few bob himself but he has never forgot his working class roots and speaks from the heart. Top bloke."

"Gary Neville on @GMB, hit the nail on the head and just owned Edwina Curry.#garyforPM #GMB," another said.

His unusual comment about the Prime Minister that also caught viewers' attention.

One said: "Gary Neville calling Boris Johnson 'spaghetti bolognese' live on #GMB is the funniest thing I've heard this week. On a serious note, good on Gary for standing up for those impacted by the Universal Credit changes."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Pascal is that French guy what made milk safe to drink

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Found in a Netto in Sydhavnen, Copenhagen

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Pascal is that French guy what made milk safe to drink

no pascal is that Mexican drink with a worm in it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's SoCal, Pascal is the guy who discovered the hollow cathode effect.

Rust Martialis posted:

idgi, they look nothing like claws

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
https://youtu.be/7LwUgsRtSQA is Neville on GMB. He makes decent points. Currie talks nonsense. There's a surprise.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Do any of you fonts of all knowledge know what the flu vaccine has been cultivated on this year? Apparently it's not egg and my sister has had a really bad reaction to hers. I would like to know what the substrate (?) is as I am extremely allergic to quorn and probably other mould-based products.
*she got hers in pharmacy in Boots.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 6, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The non-egg one they're using here (esp for under 65s) is Flucelvax Tetra, which is based on a canine kidney cell culture.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flucel is when nobody will gently caress you because you're snotting too much.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The non-egg one they're using here (esp for under 65s) is Flucelvax Tetra, which is based on a canine kidney cell culture.

Thanks.

Dogs kidneys though? Should be grateful it's not the dog's bollox I suppose.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DominicPenna/status/1445802589308604421

I can't tell if this is real or not help

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Flucel is when nobody will gently caress you because you're snotting too much.
I remember the name because it's lodged in my brain as Incelvax. I think that's when you're inoculated against MRA poo poo because you got exposed to the dumbest manosphere opinions in an environment full of people laughing at them before 4chan existed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zavgk2_BJs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Dogs kidneys though? Should be grateful it's not the dog's bollox I suppose.
They exist as spherical point dogs in a vacuum so not far off.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Think I'll be giving the flu vaccine a miss this year (had a bad reaction last year and a seriously bad reaction about 30 years ago where myself and half the company ended up off sick for 2 weeks after the vaccine). I'll keep wearing the mask and doing the social distancing stuff.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

WhatEvil posted:

Tax the rich.
Thanks for the interesting & well researched perspective, but I feel that there might be a slightly more direct route to ending both wealth inequality and food hunger? (e: someone do an effortpost on the calorific value of the rich versus the needs of the population, taking account of distribution &c)

Rust Martialis posted:

That's the same kind they have in France, the ketchup flavour is loving amazing

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do any of you fonts of all knowledge know what the flu vaccine has been cultivated on this year? Apparently it's not egg and my sister has had a really bad reaction to hers. I would like to know what the substrate (?) is as I am extremely allergic to quorn and probably other mould-based products.
*she got hers in pharmacy in Boots.

Depends which one. The pharmacist told me they decide which one to give based on the questionnaire you fill in, age etc. If you put down a Quorn allergy or egg allergy then they'll take that into consideration.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I will try to remember to find out about this tomorrow but ADHD so I will probably forget. But know that I did care slightly.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Borrovan posted:

Thanks for the interesting & well researched perspective, but I feel that there might be a slightly more direct route to ending both wealth inequality and food hunger? (e: someone do an effortpost on the calorific value of the rich versus the needs of the population, taking account of distribution &c)

That's the same kind they have in France, the ketchup flavour is loving amazing

I’ve always wondered about things which are flavoured with things which themselves are flavours of something else. So we have tomato sauce crisps but not tomato crisps, and others which I now annoyingly can’t remember even though I’ve had this thought for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

therattle posted:

I’ve always wondered about things which are flavoured with things which themselves are flavours of something else. So we have tomato sauce crisps but not tomato crisps, and others which I now annoyingly can’t remember even though I’ve had this thought for ages.

"Bubblegum" flavour