Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Forrest on Fire posted:

This has been so wonderful. gently caress Urban. gently caress his predatory college coaching. gently caress his scheme, gently caress the Ohioans who were delusional about his ability to coach.

I feel terrible for anyone who has to play on the Jags this year. This is a Chip Kelly in San Fran kind of clusterfuck.

I mean he won a championship for OSU so I don't think Ohians were any more delusional than anyone else at his previous stops. Though, for what it's worth, every single OSU fan I know loathes Urban for all the reasons stated in this thread. He's the only wildly successful coach I know that everyone hates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh god shes already filed, hasn’t she

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'm cackling.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Woozie66 posted:

Though, for what it's worth, every single OSU fan I know loathes Urban for all the reasons stated in this thread. He's the only wildly successful coach I know that everyone hates.

I think Utes fans may be ok with his stint there because it made them national players and eventually led to a P5 bid? Maybe I'm wrong, not particularly in touch with that fan base.

But yeah UF and OSU both despise him which took some work considering how they were on the field.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1445778914517807104

Man I so want him to go away.

McMurphy is legit for those that don't follow college reporters.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Look, you guys are the leaders in this locker room. I need you to step up and help the team get over this whole "I-shoved-my-thumb-up-the-butthole-of-someone-who-wasn't-my-wife" nonsense. It's up to you guys to make sure this doesn't become a distraction for the team. There's only so much I can do as coach; I can't do everything for you.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
You know urban versus Chip Kelly is a pretty interesting argument. The three things I think of when you talk about Urban Meyer are:

1. Lol
2. Enabled a sex pest
3. Butt stuff

Whereas with Chip Kelly it's

1. Racism
2. Got figured out
3. ... But hey those smoothies really seemed to work.

I guess you just have to ask yourself how bad you want the magical injury nuligating smoothies.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Ouch only 39% of Group of 5 schools even willing to consider him.

When teams like Marshall, Kent State and South Alabama are lukewarm on you, your career is dead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Forget ADs, which multi-star recruits are interested in going to play for this guy over his competition?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Grittybeard posted:

I wonder what these numbers looked like before he got hired at JAX, or like the day this season kicked off. I feel his stock was already dropping a bit based on how this past off-season went with him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Grittybeard posted:

“Are you making GBS threads me? He has a mental problem. How does a guy that makes $10 million a year go to a bar and put his hand up a woman’s crotch?”

Unsure which team I want to have said no to this hypothetical more. UMass would be pretty funny but so would ULM or UTEP.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I don't even think Bishop Sycamore would hire him at this point

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Even the ones that were willing to consider him said things like this:

quote:

“I’ve never met Urban, so it would all depend on if there was anyone that knew him well or worked closely with him that I really trusted that could tell me anything different than what we’ve seen play out publicly,”

Basically "Yeah I'd consider him if someone could prove all this stuff about him is a lie"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Forget ADs, which multi-star recruits are interested in going to play for this guy over his competition?

I don't like to say this but if history is any guide then...well most of them.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I don't even think Bishop Sycamore would hire him at this point

While I'm dunking on him and all 73% leaves 27% who might be interested. Someone like Vandy...probably should make a call to his agent just in case. That won't happen because Urban would want more money than they're willing to pay, but there are those types of jobs out there that would keep him in the limelight if he wants.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
They say all this now but wait till he's actually available. I won't believe he's that radioactive till he ends up at Wyoming.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah if he hypothetically stays relatively clear the rest of the year I doubt people are going to be thinking about September problems in February or March or whenever.

He's given absolutely zero reason to think that this will be the last problem though so we'll see.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

They say all this now but wait till he's actually available.

Yeah

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
He's probably internally mad that this didn't get him more heat

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

if petrino can get hired after the motorcycle crash, meyer can too. He might have to spend a year coachin South Dakota Tech or whatever, but one good season and he'd have his pick of any number of prestigious schools

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Luckily Art Briles seems to be unemployed at the moment.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

fsif posted:

In theory, if Urban could get it together and keep his head down and the Jags could just secure one win in the next 4–5 weeks, this could all go away.

Problem is that Urban's going to keep spiraling.

That's what is gonna happen. Trevor is going to win them a football game or two and Urban will be hailed as a genius because that's the world we live in right now

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i think there is zero chance of urban being hailed as a great nfl brain genius at this point

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Declan MacManus posted:

i think there is zero chance of urban being hailed as a great nfl brain genius at this point

I was being a little hyperbolic but really what I mean is that things will die down eventually because Trevor Lawrence is going to be really good and that's all the Jaguars ownership and fanbase want to see.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don't really follow college football - is Urban running that offense or was he brought in as a CEO type? If so, what's the "Urban Meyer offense" or what's it similar to?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

AndrewP posted:

I don't really follow college football - is Urban running that offense or was he brought in as a CEO type? If so, what's the "Urban Meyer offense" or what's it similar to?

Have you heard of one Mr Timothy Tebow?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Speaking of Tebow has he gotten to weigh in on this yet

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AndrewP posted:

CEO, but he did coach Alex Smith, Tim Tebow, and some Ohio State guys who you don't want to remember as NFL players but were damned fine college players. He has an idea of what he wants to do but he wasn't ever the defining factor tactically I don't think?

His coaching tree is pretty good to really good at the college level, which is why I say he kinda lived on his coordinators in that sense.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AndrewP posted:

I dont know either but he has kept talking about being a fast team. A lot. Brought in a bunch of nobody FA WRs that were known for their speed. They amounted to nothing.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AndrewP posted:

He has some ideas of what he wants his offense to look like which is basically that the QB has a read on almost every play, the QB is going to run fairly often, and deep shots are a big part of the passing game. But he seems to farm out the actual play design and play calling to his coordinators.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The only reason I imagine that the Jags haven't fired Urban yet is they are trying to get enough on him that they can fire him with cause and null his contract

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So it sounds like his job was to come in and provide stability and make good decisions, and has failed miserably at both. Dan Campbell seems like a good example of what this should look like - basically accept that you're probably not going to win a lot but do it with some grace and build the trust of your players.

Has Pete Carmichael's name ever come up for HC? He's been the Saints OC for over a decade, whatever that job entails.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AndrewP posted:

So it sounds like his job was to come in and provide stability and make good decisions, and has failed miserably at both. Dan Campbell seems like a good example of what this should look like - basically accept that you're probably not going to win a lot but do it with some grace and build the trust of your players.

Has Pete Carmichael's name ever come up for HC? He's been the Saints OC for over a decade, whatever that job entails.

He doesn’t get much attention since he’s been, at best, the third most involved person in the Saints offense over that time, after Payton and Brees.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

AndrewP posted:

Meyer popularized a lot of stuff that's common in spread offenses today - basically took the two spread philosophies that existed as of the early 2000s (air raid and rodriguez-style zone read), synthesized them, and added some power running concepts back in.

Highly reliant on having a mobile QB due to the amount of zone-read and zone-read derivatives.

Likes having a sort of gadget guy who can either run the ball or run routes from the slot - basically a modern reinvention of the wingback.

A lot of play-action passes and RPOs with relatively simple route trees that funnel the ball to the tight end or to the aforementioned wing guy at midrange.

Heavy reliance on motion and on the defense overcommitting against the option in order to spring guys for verts and deep routes - not really expecting the outside WRs to run a cool double-move and get open in isolation coverage or anything.

Of course, the trouble with being a person who popularizes things is that then everyone's familiar with your stuff, which is why you can read this description and think "hey, everyone does that"

You couldn't port Meyer's college offense directly to the NFL for the same reason you can't port any college offense directly to the NFL (you need a more advanced passing tree to attack more complicated NFL coverages, and the NFL pass-rush is too fast for a lot of slower-developing concepts to work) but Bevell is probably influenced by the "Urban Meyer offense" to some degree, just by osmosis

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 6, 2021

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Trillhouse posted:

if petrino can get hired after the motorcycle crash, meyer can too. He might have to spend a year coachin South Dakota Tech or whatever, but one good season and he'd have his pick of any number of prestigious schools

I can't really see anyone in the state of South Dakota laundering anything ethically dubious. Salt of the Earth people there in KELO-Land.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

unl33t posted:

I can't really see anyone in the state of South Dakota laundering anything ethically dubious. Salt of the Earth people there in KELO-Land.

lol

lmao

https://twitter.com/DavidJollyFL/status/1444703441989873672?s=20

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Eifert Posting posted:

You know urban versus Chip Kelly is a pretty interesting argument. The three things I think of when you talk about Urban Meyer are:

1. Lol
2. Enabled a sex pest
3. Butt stuff

Whereas with Chip Kelly it's

1. Racism
2. Got figured out
3. ... But hey those smoothies really seemed to work.

I guess you just have to ask yourself how bad you want the magical injury nuligating smoothies.

If you take away Chip Kelly's racism (huge if, yes I know) I don't think he was a terrible coach, provided you don't give him personnel control like Philly did his last season. His one season with SF was a Jed York special.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

seiferguy posted:

If you take away Chip Kelly's racism (huge if, yes I know) I don't think he was a terrible coach, provided you don't give him personnel control like Philly did his last season. His one season with SF was a Jed York special.

Please don't take away his racism. Shady was one of the coolest players on the Bills.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

seiferguy posted:

If you take away the fact that Chip Kelly single handedly removed all the talent on the Eagles, I don't think he was a terrible coach.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

once the jags can him he'll probably cool off for a year and then pull a Charlie Weis to be a big splash at a lesser football school and win three times in two years before peacing out forever with a big bag of cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

once the jags can him he'll probably cool off for a year and then pull a Charlie Weis to be a big splash at a lesser football school and win three times in two years before peacing out forever with a big bag of cash

So you’re saying it’s Kansas.