Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I mean, if BDG wants to come with and get ramen or carnitas while I'm chowing down on a cookies and cream waffle I'd be happy for the company. But I'm not about to follow him to the whole foods cheese and dairy department like some sort of lacto-stalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Justin eat the crackers

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

RandomPauI posted:

I mean, if BDG wants to come with and get ramen or carnitas while I'm chowing down on a cookies and cream waffle I'd be happy for the company. But I'm not about to follow him to the whole foods cheese and dairy department like some sort of lacto-stalker.

To quote Merlin Mann whenever he talks about how far the local Walgreens is from his house: “Don’t be creepy”.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

When I become an eldritch warlock, I’ll make a killing selling memory alteration devices to Internet personalities.

“Woah hey Juice, fancy meeting you here! Want to hang out??”

“Yeah no problem random dude, but first I’m gonna need you to put on this hat that will erase all knowledge of content I have created or participated in from your brain.”

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1443588899759005696

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It needs to be stated that talking about crackers for 1/3 the show, followed by ads, followed by a much squad is what made me unsub MBMBAM. I'm still on the TAZ train still and surely all of their future seasons will keep me onboard.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

um excuse me posted:

It needs to be stated that talking about crackers for 1/3 the show, followed by ads, followed by a much squad is what made me unsub MBMBAM. I'm still on the TAZ train still and surely all of their future seasons will keep me onboard.

This episode ruled

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm genuinely happy that it makes you feel that way. But it's been a long downhill for me. The last clipshow made me super aware they used to be funnier. God speed MBMBAM, hope you can recapture the lightning in a bottle that you used to have.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

um excuse me posted:

I'm genuinely happy that it makes you feel that way. But it's been a long downhill for me. The last clipshow made me super aware they used to be funnier. God speed MBMBAM, hope you can recapture the lightning in a bottle that you used to have.

What exactly are you looking for out of MBMBaM outside of them doing a bunch of weird goofs? I don't mean to be a jerk here, I'm wondering what you think the difference is.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
This was a very good episode, the brothers feeding off each other on one extended topic are always the best segments

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah I thought it was a great episode, and I always love when Justin tells stories about his kids being weird.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

more falafel please posted:

What exactly are you looking for out of MBMBaM outside of them doing a bunch of weird goofs? I don't mean to be a jerk here, I'm wondering what you think the difference is.

I've been falling asleep to a youtube highlight playlist of like 600 videos and the thing that stands out the most to me is their humor used to be a lot more mean spirited. Not in a bad or hurtful way. But the hypothetical characters they would create, would often be terrible and they would have active disdain for them. (First example I can think of is the "writing on the dog" bit.) That and quite a few listener questions where they don't mince words about the person writing in needing to change their behaviors.

A literal random example that isn't the funniest bit, but I think does a decent job of showing how it's just...different? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHpgoDVzAeo

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

more falafel please posted:

Without writing a dissertation for a literal thread full of fans who wont care, I'll sum it up to less repetitiveness. They used to be much less predictable with their comedy. This episode in particular started off on the wrong foot for me when they decided the opening discussion will be graded at the end, like they've been doing regularly. Breaking down the fourth wall isnt funny if it's scheduled.

Am I part at fault for listening to them for 6-7 years? Maybe, but there's no way its just me who feels this way.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I've been falling asleep to a youtube highlight playlist of like 600 videos and the thing that stands out the most to me is their humor used to be a lot more mean spirited. Not in a bad or hurtful way. But the hypothetical characters they would create, would often be terrible and they would have active disdain for them. (First example I can think of is the "writing on the dog" bit.) That and quite a few listener questions where they don't mince words about the person writing in needing to change their behaviors.

I think they still sometimes get into slightly disdainful riffs on hypothetical people... and then kind of collectively realize "oh, gently caress, we probably have some fans who are into this" and then backpedal: "Actually, that kinda sounds dope, to be honest". See the recent episode where they ripped on the "animal pack" wikihow, then realized they might be stirring up Furry Shitstorm 2.0 and clarified that they're obviously not talking about furries and actually the animal pack thing sounds pretty cool anyway.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

um excuse me posted:

Without writing a dissertation for a literal thread full of fans who wont care, I'll sum it up to less repetitiveness. They used to be much less predictable with their comedy. This episode in particular started off on the wrong foot for me when they decided the opening discussion will be graded at the end, like they've been doing regularly. Breaking down the fourth wall isnt funny if it's scheduled.

Am I part at fault for listening to them for 6-7 years? Maybe, but there's no way its just me who feels this way.

McElroy Thread: you've lost that loving feeling

-or-

McElroy Thread: "Every day I wake up and--"

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

um excuse me posted:

The last clipshow made me super aware they used to be funnier.
gonna pop in here to state the obvious that if you're listening to a clip show or a highlight playlist the average bit quality is going to be higher than a normal show

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

um excuse me posted:

I’m in the same boat. Been listening for several years now but fell off hard around 18 months ago. The whole intro lasting 20 minutes, one question, money zone, munch squad episode over just ain’t doing it no more.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

The podcast has been going for 11 years. It’s fine to stop listening. Maybe they changed, maybe you did, it’s all good. No need to hate-listen and post upset reviews of Munch Squad every week.
(That last sentence isn’t targeted at anyone specific.)

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I like that the podcast is a bit predictable, it's like comfort food or a meditation app at this point. It calms the nervous system after a long stressful day. I do also find it funny still, if I didn't I'd probably stop listening, but I also don't listen to it strictly for entertainment anymore. It's also nice that it's something my wife and I can do together to decompress since there's actually not a lot of media that we both enjoy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Colonel Whitey posted:

I like that the podcast is a bit predictable, it's like comfort food or a meditation app at this point. It calms the nervous system after a long stressful day. I do also find it funny still, if I didn't I'd probably stop listening, but I also don't listen to it strictly for entertainment anymore. It's also nice that it's something my wife and I can do together to decompress since there's actually not a lot of media that we both enjoy.

You'll say, we've got nothing in common
No common ground to start from
And we're falling apart
You'll say, the world has come between us
Our lives have come between us
Still I know you just don't care

And I said what about the McElroys’ podcast?
She said I think I remember the brothers
And as I recall I think we both kind of liked it
And I said well that's the one thing we've got

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's familiar, but not too familiar

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Back in the ABBA days Griffin straight up told listeners to kill themselves more than once. Maybe don't bring it all the way back, but I could do with a little more edge on the old butter knife

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was that back when he was furiously single

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I fell off on them for a while because it seemed like the only listener questions they would answer were "how can I avoid ever having to socialize?" Maybe it's just me but it does seem like they're trying to field a wider variety of questions these last few months.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They used to actually answer more questions, right? Like I'm not just misremembering?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

My guess is that they mostly just get insipid boring questions and are trying to fill the time with other things

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

the bits are longer since they don't have yahoos anymore and i think this makes the remaining questions feel more sparse

also i feel like 95 percent of the questions they do get are "i don't know how to act around people am i good"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Sounds like everyone ITT just needs to

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Entropic posted:

They used to actually answer more questions, right? Like I'm not just misremembering?

they used to answer three variations of “can i hit on this girl while she’s at work?” every single week

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

flavor.flv posted:

Back in the ABBA days Griffin straight up told listeners to kill themselves more than once. Maybe don't bring it all the way back, but I could do with a little more edge on the old butter knife

Especially in TAZ. It sounds like they're all afraid to speak when they used to just blurt out whatever nonsense came to mind, resulting in plant flirting and weird NPCs.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
TAZ will never have anything as funny as them getting onto the Rockport Express and relentlessly bullying everyone on there ever again because that’s not how they operate anymore. It’s still funny, but man, it used to be HYSTERICAL.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Escobarbarian posted:

TAZ will never have anything as funny as them getting onto the Rockport Express and relentlessly bullying everyone on there ever again because that’s not how they operate anymore. It’s still funny, but man, it used to be HYSTERICAL.

I remember listening to that episode when it first came out and was literally crying at my desk when they wouldn't stop teasing Jenkins over his "smelly hands"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Escobarbarian posted:

or the moment when Griffin realizes what Justin is about to do with the Slicer of T'pir-Weir Isles.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Still the best taz animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1A0pHzXUYw

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

'well, get ready to talk about that in the past tense' always gets me

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
gently caress, that scene still sends me. It's one of those "you remember exactly where you were when you first heard it" segments. :allears:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I somehow managed to completely miss that scene on my first listen, I'm glad I listened to the whole thing again a couple of years later because holy poo poo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think they still sometimes get into slightly disdainful riffs on hypothetical people... and then kind of collectively realize "oh, gently caress, we probably have some fans who are into this" and then backpedal: "Actually, that kinda sounds dope, to be honest". See the recent episode where they ripped on the "animal pack" wikihow, then realized they might be stirring up Furry Shitstorm 2.0 and clarified that they're obviously not talking about furries and actually the animal pack thing sounds pretty cool anyway.
yeah, broadly speaking when people say that the current stuff is less funny than it used to be, it's a combination of the show feeling very rote and also like they're handling everything with kids gloves. it's ok to make fun of things sometimes

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

They did have that whole thing about Ted Cruz recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

flavor.flv posted:

I somehow managed to completely miss that scene on my first listen, I'm glad I listened to the whole thing again a couple of years later because holy poo poo

I was convinced I could listen to podcasts at 2x while at work for a while. I didn't remember anything about Crystal Kingdom.