Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol mick west already in the comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bird

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

time stamp when uap shows up on flir https://youtu.be/PmbrRvd25G0?t=1241

fixed, god im such an idiot

helta has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Oct 7, 2021

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

mylar balloon with parallax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPRJ1AwP4_A

NEXT

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

yeah, it says balloon right there in the title

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Rah! posted:

lol mick west already in the comments

mick west is a phenomenal example of idiot engineer brain

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
the hd vid is up now

gonna wait for the nerds to recreate the flight path based on the plane's gps/heading.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

rubber bird is consistently flying over 100mph for 40 something mins and extremely cold

that's interesting even if it isn't the most visually compelling video

Tekne has issued a correction as of 01:56 on Oct 7, 2021

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

This lovely vid is something, but it's not disclosure. No obsersvables, no gotcha. Eat poo poo rubber ducky man. You too bitch, call the cops

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The long watch continues

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

:tinylue:

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
A lot of people are quoting the speed at ~80 -100 mph. Which in itself isn't impossible for debris caught in the wind, if it's at altitude and it's a very windy day but, I don't think that numbers particularly accurate. There's parts in the video where the camera is tracking along the ground and it's reading 1500+mph.

As a (self)licensed UAPologist, personally going to call this one a big fat boring nothing.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

mick west must be so turgid after watching that video. frothing, in fact

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/feeling-too-much/202110/are-some-people-autism-primed-experience-anomalies

I believe this forum is perfectly equipped to solve the bird question once and for all.

Also, this means the CIA has some secret Men Who Stare At Goats: Autism program doesn't it?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
youve successfully decoded how eric davis fits into all of this, congrats

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
me n the bird thread bois chillin in the autism sweet-spot

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rah! posted:

i thought it was the propellers

but maybe you're talking about something else

can't be sure, now that the men in black destroyed the video and erased that guys memory

yeah it's absolutely propellers, in the low res version you couldn't see poo poo about what was going on

unless something mind boggling happens between 30:00 and the end i'm leaning wind borne debris on this one. Plastic bag or mylar. Reflectivity is going to throw off the apparent temp, and floating trash would have a uniform temp.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

another video of a similar uap just leaked

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Rah! posted:

yeah that makes sense

Correct me if i'm wrong, but my understanding is that skinwalkers could manifest as different animals, or people. And maybe also as a poltergeist type of entity, a light, or weird apparition? Maybe those last ones are just from modern stories though.

It seems like as time goes on, people are increasingly depicting them as creepy tall beastmans with antlers that chase you and rip your head off or some poo poo. There's even a skinwalkers in chernobyl video game lol

I think that was the first time i heard of skinwalkers. Or it might have been in one of those old GBS ghost story threads.

Then i forgot about them for years, until i watched some youtube videos that were basically summarizing this book: https://www.amazon.com/Hunt-Skinwalker-Science-Confronts-Unexplained/dp/1416505210/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

That wasn't long before the 2017 new york times UFO article dropped, and that article sent me down the UFO rabbit hole, where i noticed that lots of UFO incidents seem to have similarities with a lot of alleged skinwalker incidents (and other alleged paranormal incidents).

i signed up for ghost story theads! what is called a skinwalker is basically someone practicing black magic/witchcraft/bad medicine or however you want to translate it who can do stuff like wear the skin of an animal and not only pass as one (esp. at night) but has superhuman powers. in general the idea is if you encounter one travelling you're hosed unless you get home (or like a friend or relative's home). they can be killed by publicly and accurately naming them as what they are with the name they use in ordinary life. i found one story I almost believe back when I was working graveyards and read nosleep a lot that was a bizzare mix of accuracy and the author authentically seeming to know less that I did. which might just be them "getting" the RP element that good nosleep story comments sections (something you sort of usually need to make yourself if you want to see it). but I basically just know Google-search level stuff and have read a lot of dumb creepypasta when it comes to the topic, and if so they did a nice job

kinda nice to just infodump random weird topics while i wait for something to actually get the regular birdwatchers excited or at least interested

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What a trash video lol

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lame like FDR's legs

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

It's a very long video of a UFO, which is cool

But there's nothing that shows anything truly weird, which is not cool. Doesn't seem to move like a floating balloon/trash to me though. I feel like like it would probably twist and bob around more, and have a less constant speed. Maybe its a drone with heat shielding that's carrying a package of :birddrugs: to the secret mojave bird base

blue balls more like bird balls

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

here's some dude's bird analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWXCMA2a8Sg

e: allegedly he has decades of experience working with avionics and 15 years of experience working with FLIR systems

Rah! has issued a correction as of 11:26 on Oct 7, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

yea but did he work on tony hawk pro skater? i think not, checkmate ufoailures

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
If you're giving me a UAP video it better drat well do that thing where it goes into water like it doesn't give an f because that's awesome every time

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Wheeee posted:

yea but did he work on tony hawk pro skater? i think not, checkmate ufoailures

are u sure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ndE91g-aU

:tinfoil:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat, I'd love to ask an alien what they make of skateboarding

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rah! posted:

It's a very long video of a UFO, which is cool

But there's nothing that shows anything truly weird, which is not cool. Doesn't seem to move like a floating balloon/trash to me though. I feel like like it would probably twist and bob around more, and have a less constant speed. Maybe its a drone with heat shielding that's carrying a package of :birddrugs: to the secret mojave bird base

blue balls more like bird balls

if it's air trash then all the moving dials and numbers and poo poo are critical to understanding how it's actually moving so it may not be immediately intuitive how its twisting and bobbing or what it's actual speed is. The cam is on a moving platform after all. The speed data does jump rapidly between like 200-50 as they track around it. I dunno if that means it's sometimes picking up the speed of the ground or what?

Rah! posted:

here's some dude's bird analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWXCMA2a8Sg

e: allegedly he has decades of experience working with avionics and 15 years of experience working with FLIR systems

Yeah this is kinda interesting and does make it seem less obviously a balloon. So the object is usually beneath or slightly above the camera, and it shows up cold, and mylar balloons should appear colder on the sky side. They also never zoom in more than half, and never adjust scene heat. The guy in this vid only shows very clear images

i feel like if it's rotating around this might actually be visible already: it "flashes" "cold" a little bit. That's a weird one tho, slowing down the footage means it kinda flashes whenever it passes across a cold spot on the ground, so it could be an artifact. Whenever it goes across a warm region it gets "dim"

If you look at it in slow mo when it crosses over cold spots on the earth there are some points where it appears to be warmer than the surface, but it's hard to tell. If they had switch to hot scene mode at some point that might have made it more clear what the temp actually is? The settings of my pc and monitor and all this kind of poo poo could be throwing it off as well. I'm looking around 44:56 for this.

I suppose we can only really say is it appears to be as cool or colder than the dirt roads in Arizona in November at 9am

not having the actual unmodified footage adds another layer, because the accurate values for pixels could be important but they're being compressed.

Pretty disappointed that they don't have any max zoom or different scene heat settings or adjust the gain or anything.

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 13:03 on Oct 7, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bape Culture posted:

What a trash video lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The nearest weather station for this date has the both the air and 4" soil temp at 9°C, max wind speed was 2.8, dunno what unit of measurement or distance from the ground, probably not useful info, plus it's significantly far away anyway. Temps explain why they never bothered switching from cold mode, but I would have still toggled on very cold for a second just to see if it could resolve any kind of detail, or at least hosed with the settings that were easy enough to set back to normal.

At 11/23/19, 09:09 11 Z, 31°33.5582'N 111°24.7499'W the closest weather station should be i think https://cals.arizona.edu/azmet/38.htm, I pulled the hourly raws for 2019. There could be Mexican or satellite data closer to the bird but this is good enough for shitposting.

Falch failed to redact a frame and there's location data which means he'll either be ignored or get black helicoptered and youtube will delete everything. Basically his and the longer vids are enough to reconstruct one hour's worth of a DHS flight path on one day two years ago, big whoop. Maybe you could extract some additional information about the camera systems if you also have the target coords?

But anyway, if z means UTC+-0, then the real local time of day is 1 am unless i'm making a mistake, which would give temp values of around 4 for air and around 11 or 12 °C. Not majorly different. The target coords are significantly different from the plane's but close enough that it doesn't matter to try and get a vague idea of local temperatures.

So does this mean the bird is <= approx 9°C at all times? Or is there another way to try to estimate more info from the vid?
e: maybe it's more accurate to say the bird has the appearance of having that temp?

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 14:00 on Oct 7, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The minute or 30 seconds or so starting at 58 minutes in is a good example of how the background is interfering with the apparent size and shape of the thing, especially if you put it on as slow as it goes and watch it cross different regions, but at the same time the vid quality loving sucks, it's super super terrible. Absolutely chock full of artifacts and all kinds of bullshit.

Bape Culture posted:

What a trash video lol

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

It's safe to say an ulta-thin material such as mylar, which is extremely IR reflective, would appear colder than the ground background when viewed from above even at night. The desert gets cold but soil retains a lot more heat than a balloon floating in the air, and night is the only favor going for it (effect would be even more noticable in sunlight). Big nothingburger imo.

All these fuckers keep pumping their grift with ***mindblowing video the government doesn't want you to see!!*** and its universally boring bullshit like bokeh or trash in the wind. The real juicy stuff they claim is real and exists? No pictures or videos of that but take our word for it it's really cool...

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 14:43 on Oct 7, 2021

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I was hiking deep in a wilderness area somewhere and while sitting on a mountain about halfway up I saw something like that. It was a white duck looking thing that started as a dot in the sky and it slowly started getting bigger. It kept heading directly at me over the course of a few minutes, not moving up or down or side to side, just getting bigger.

It was a silver birthday balloon that said HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDMA and it came so close I ended up catching it and taking it back to dispose of properly. it was tangled up in ribbons and misshapen so it looked sort of like a duck

that's my lovely uap story

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 15:07 on Oct 7, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Justin Tyme posted:

It's safe to say an ulta-thin material such as mylar, which is extremely IR reflective, would appear colder than the ground background when viewed from above even at night. The desert gets cold but soil retains a lot more heat than a balloon floating in the air, and night is the only favor going for it (effect would be even more noticable in sunlight). Big nothingburger imo.

All these fuckers keep pumping their grift with ***mindblowing video the government doesn't want you to see!!*** and its universally boring bullshit like bokeh or trash in the wind. The real juicy stuff they claim is real and exists? No pictures or videos of that but take our word for it it's really cool...

Yeah from what i was looking at the ground was almost always warmer than the air around this timeframe, and i'm pretty sure those air temp readings are only like 10' off the surface, I bet at the object's altitude it'd be even colder.

I suppose the only other thing would be to figure out how to rebuild the flight profile and general idea of the object's path and see if it matches up with a balloon. It's really hard to tell by looking at footage only, but those numbers are going to be very solid and being able to visualize them like on a map or as some kind of animation point of view that's outside of the scope would make things more obvious.

I'm thinking it's mylar balloon. I can't find it now, but i remember seeing some deep sea biologists uncover one at the bottom of a goddamn trench. That poo poo is literally everywhere and could trivially show up in this vid as the "rubber duck." Because there's no resolved detail, or even attempt at better detail, and no clear unartifacted view of the original vid in good resolution, that thing above the main body could be a reflective tag or anything.

If the vid quality was better i bet you'd be able to see some of the effects that showed up in the other balloon flir vid.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I was hiking deep in a wilderness area somewhere and while sitting on a mountain about halfway up I saw something like that. It was a white duck looking thing that started as a dot in the sky and it slowly started getting bigger. It kept heading directly at me over the course of a few minutes, not moving up or down or side to side, just getting bigger.

It was a silver birthday balloon that said HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDMA and it came so close I ended up catching it and taking it back to dispose of properly. it was tangled up in ribbons and misshapen so it looked sort of like a duck

that's my lovely uap story

lmao

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/07/politics/us-submarine-collision-south-china-sea/index.html

Underwater birds???

There are absolute tons of anecdotal friend-of-a-friend stories about submarines and ships detecting USOs on sonar and I want them to declassify that data so, so much. But they never will, because that's even more sensitive than aircraft avionics.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Log082 posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/07/politics/us-submarine-collision-south-china-sea/index.html

Underwater birds???

There are absolute tons of anecdotal friend-of-a-friend stories about submarines and ships detecting USOs on sonar and I want them to declassify that data so, so much. But they never will, because that's even more sensitive than aircraft avionics.

just dolphins doing zoomies in three dimensions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/q3k0tq/the_mystery_of_the_submarine_deepen/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Some fun bullshit, but apparently this guy on Reddit got a message on discord from his friend in the Navy yesterday about the incident in the SCS. he implies it’s some sort of USO and not just a rock.