Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

It was kinda hosed up of Gi-Hun to wait an entire year to get that kid out of the orphanage.

The show definitely makes it clear that every person in the game is very flawed, I had a hard time watching the beginning because of this.

As hosed up as this is, I think it does make sense how bad his decisions are before and after the games. I mean, that's kind of the point of how most of these people end up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Episode 9: Gihun gets offered ways to make more money by the bank.

I was struck by the idea that when you have money people give you more money

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Was the crane game prize box looking similar to the coffins just symbolism or was that when he entered the attention of squid game?

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

grate deceiver posted:

It was kinda hosed up of Gi-Hun to wait an entire year to get that kid out of the orphanage.

I was rofling at this part, especially when he gave the son to the mom of the guy who killed his sister? Also he (seemingly) never told either of them about their fates, leading them to worry probably for the rest of their lives. Lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Mirello posted:

I was rofling at this part, especially when he gave the son to the mom of the guy who killed his sister? Also he (seemingly) never told either of them about their fates, leading them to worry probably for the rest of their lives. Lol

Maybe it's best for the mother not to know what monstrous depths her son fell to.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I mean, she knew her son was being pursued by the police. I'm sure she holds out hope of getting a letter from Hong Kong or some other country with complicated extradition laws but deep down she knows he's probably dead.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Who of you did this

https://twitter.com/lackingsaint/status/1445893847867793408?t=KfK_64GGdciGGMdVXYndkg&s=19

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Jack Saint isn't one of us

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The article! :v:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

This is amazing

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I recommend Squid Game highly and if you like it then check out Alice in Borderland, which is a Japanese death game ty[pe show. One thing that I think is illuminating is the difference in aesthetic quality between the 2 shows. Japanese cinema has its stand outs for sure, but its television has really yet to reach the aesthetic level of modern prestige TV and you can feel the difference starkly if you watch both. Korean cinema has been oozing style and high level production for a while, and Squid Game definitely lives up to Korean cinematic legacy. The sets are brilliant and striking, the costuming is great, it uses a variety of interesting shots & camera angles. Alice in Borderland by contrast is quite pedestrian in its lighting, set design, etc. Both are fun shows though.

I think the ending is a bit of a let down on Squid Game compared with AiB though, as the revelation regarding who is running the games ultimately has very little impact. I think these sorts of shows need to have something either especially unique or a very strong message if they go the obvious route because spending so much time learning "its rich people loving with poor ppl" is unnecessary. Like no poo poo, does it add anything to the show? Not really and the dialogue from the rich people was incredibly bad. Its a shame about it because I think the individual stories of the contestants was pretty good and there was plenty of interpersonal drama. If the audience never really learns explicitly the secret behind the games and it still ends with 456 going back for revenge it still works! Also that killed me, just go to your daughter bro. Comparing with the ending of S1 of Alice the mystery in AIB is more relevant and interesting because of the circumstances and technology of the game itself.

I am glad this show is resonating so hard with everyone because having more money put into foreign film & tv will broaden the types of media we get to consume.

also one last thing that amused me: korean dramas love to have people yelling loudly about poo poo and this show has a bunch of it. I love seeing the idiosyncrasies of different regional media.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 7, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yes, people only yell in Korea.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Flesnolk posted:

Yes, people only yell in Korea.

Few people know this.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
At least Squid Game is "realistic", Alice in Borderland is a little too much in the realm of "it's magic advanced thechnology, we don't have to explain poo poo"

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I give Alice in Borderland a pass for not explaining its setting because it's literally Alice in Wonderland as an isekai anime.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Awesome show, and some good points in this thread. Special thanks to the poster(s) shedding some like on SK culture, which I was not overly familiar with. :tipshat:

The only thing that really annoyed me is that none of the participants realized that there were two steel beams in the middle of the bridge they could easily have walked upon to cross it with no danger at all. When 456 was looking at the bridge, I was expecting him to finally figure it out and in turn show how pointless all the previous deaths were.

Edit: Sorry, spoiler, I guess.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 7, 2021

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Tarquinn posted:

The only thing that really annoyed me is that none of the participants realized that there were two steel beams in the middle of the bridge they could easily have walked upon to cross it with no danger at all. When 456 was looking at the bridge, I was expecting him to finally figure it out and in turn show how pointless all the previous deaths were.

I basically take this that any rules lawyering is done off screen and addressed by any of the myriad of people who died that round. Would it be worth while to see? Maybe, but it's not changing anything we don't already know. They're being asked/forced to participate within the structure they lay out, which in that round is jump from glass panel to glass panel.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

When's a good time to stop spoilering in this thread? Generally most people who're coming to this thread have likely binged the show by now, no?

Also, having traveled to Seoul a few years back, I have to say it was quite a disparity between the rich and poor areas and I'm glad shows and movies like Squid Games and Parasite are highlighting this, especially in a way that's relatable to most of the audiences around the world.

Steve Yun posted:

Episode 9: Gihun gets offered ways to make more money by the bank.

I was struck by the idea that when you have money people give you more money

This is unfortunately another very real aspect of capitalism even here in the US. And banks here will absolutely kiss up to you much more once you have some decent money in your account.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Was the crane game prize box looking similar to the coffins just symbolism or was that when he entered the attention of squid game?

I think it was symbolism only, remember the gift inside was a toy gun as well, so I believe the box was intended to actually look like a coffin (I don't know if that ribbon tied around is a common thing for coffins). Presumably Gi-Hun overlooked this detail in his desperation to get his daughter a gift.

The Squid game people explicitly had all of his relevant information due to his massives debts to the loan sharks/bookies. As for how they have this information, it should be assumed that they're so rich, powerful. influential and above the law that they can find any appropriate contestant that they desire.

Tarquinn posted:

Awesome show, and some good points in this thread. Special thanks to the poster(s) shedding some like on SK culture, which I was not overly familiar with. :tipshat:

Edit: Sorry, spoiler, I guess.

I thought this as well, and while maybe what the other guy said could apply (happens off screen) I think with these types of games it's great to show how hopeless the situation actually is. Like in your example one person tries it but it turns out to be much much hard to balance than you'd expect, due to maybe the bars being extremely slippery. Because yeah, instead of jumping literally straight into the middle of the glass, you're likely better off aiming for closer to the sides central to both rows so you can at least potentially catch the beams

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 7, 2021

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Hmm, could be.

Thinking about it, I assume it didn't come up because it wasn't meant to be an option in the first place. It was just a failure of (the otherwise absolutely excellent) production design.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You write the scene, then you make the set. It's easy to get tunnel vision, remember the 1D chase in Prometheus?

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
Really enjoyed the series overall, the characters were interesting and played off each other well, and the overall atmosphere was excellent. The ending of the first game with "Fly Me to the Moon" was *chef's kiss*.

I do agree with the final episode being a bit of a letdown. Last Episode spoilers: I was too hoping for Gi-Hun to go help the man, it seemed like the perfect opportunity with the discussion of spectating and betting on people like horses. A 2nd season can be tricky as well. I felt the overall message was given strongly though this series. Anything new would probably focus more on worldbuilding rather than strengthening the message that was the core of this show.

Admittedly, it did encourage me to pursue more international shows, so thanks for the suggestions given in the thread so far.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Ruffian Price posted:

You write the scene, then you make the set. It's easy to get tunnel vision, remember the 1D chase in Prometheus?

That chase gets a lot of hate and I think people misremember what happened. Everyone says “haha they’re so dumb for running in a straight line, they should have run to the side” but

Shaw stumbles, looks back and it occurs to her to run to the side so she does (symbolically her crisis of faith causes her to reevaluate the course of her life)

Vickers keeps running straight and gets crushed (Vickers symbolically doesn’t course correct and is destroyed)

Then the ship stops and falls over sideways on top of Shaw anyways

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I also feel like that idea would be considered cheating and you'd get shot.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Ending spoilers:

Old man ain't really dead. He's gonna have like two fake death scenes a season.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Old man is one of many clones of an even older man, Gi Hun is the youngest clone who's been given the freedom to stray and make his own path.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Robobot posted:

Ending spoilers:

Old man ain't really dead. He's gonna have like two fake death scenes a season.

Ali isn’t dead either

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
We're joking about the deaths, but I thought at the time and still think it would have been feasible for Deok-su to have lived having fallen on top of Mi-nyeo's body. Basically she would have been squished, but that would have also served to have helped soften his fall. I want to say that has some real life basis, as I think that's happened in some form of accident.

With everything we saw after and the time jump, I don't think that's likely, but it's something they could feasibly go back to since we never saw his body get burned.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Teek posted:

We're joking about the deaths, but I thought at the time and still think it would have been feasible for Deok-su to have lived having fallen on top of Mi-nyeo's body. Basically she would have been squished, but that would have also served to have helped soften his fall. I want to say that has some real life basis, as I think that's happened in some form of accident.

With everything we saw after and the time jump, I don't think that's likely, but it's something they could feasibly go back to since we never saw his body get burned.

Oh yeah I thought it would've been kind of funny if they ended up falling on the tempered glass and had an awkward moment, well at least before the ensuing murder/suicide. Their dialogue throughout the series was hilarious in the english dub

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Even if he survived the fall, the soldiers would've finished him off.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Flesnolk posted:

Even if he survived the fall, the soldiers would've finished him off.

Yes, we saw as much with other injured people. Basically for this to work, it would have been that he could have jumped the guards. So having not taking any real damage from the fall, the guards would put his gore ridden body in a coffin thinking he's dead. Before it's put in the oven though, he then manages to jump out and get the drop on them. Seems the most feasible way for that to happen based on what little we did see.

Ultimately narratively I don't think this does anything for the story, outside of provide some reason to bring back more cast members.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I liked the way that the characters stopped trying to find loopholes as they got closer to the end. They become confined by following the rules when they feel like they're about to win by working within the system. They could have traded marbles, or thrown their shoes at the glass, but they weren't in that mindset anymore. Gi-Hun could have helped the homeless man to win the bet with Il-nam, but he wasn't even thinking about the possibility.

In the first episodes, I was wondering when someone would try to grab a gun from a guard. During the Squid Game, there was a point where the guard slowly turned with his holster in reach of either characters - one of them could have grabbed the gun and shot his opponent if he wanted to, but neither one did.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So a YouTuber tested out to see if the tug of war strategy would work in real-life.

It didn't.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I'm not sure I can make it through episode six, goddamn

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Jerkface posted:

(...)

also one last thing that amused me: korean dramas love to have people yelling loudly about poo poo and this show has a bunch of it. I love seeing the idiosyncrasies of different regional media.

After recommending my parents some Korean TV from Netflix this was unironically the comment I remember the most from some specific show and it was a net negative for them. We're arguably from a more introspective culture than the US, too, so that might affect things for the worse.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Slightly more seriously, yeah, I felt like Gi-hun is just shouting nonstop through about half of the first episode and it wasn't the greatest impression

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

how the hell did ron watkins get a starring role in this?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
whomst

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

But I am glad though that even the koreans are normalizing getting murdered by the rich because there's no way out of debt.

I am only on ep 3 tho

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jesus Christ.

I wasn't prepared for Episode 6.

Like, at all. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I watched the first episode dubbed and then with subtitles, and felt it was better with the dub. The doll cheerfully saying "Red light... Green light" is one of the best television scenes I've ever seen. It seemed much less impactful in a language I don't speak.