Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Looks like a normal air compressor setup. You pull the chain to initially drop the air pressure. Once you can, you then open the bottom one. That is on the bottom specifically to drain the water out. And while the air is equalizing, the air rushing out there will blow out any moisture inside the tank. You do this any time you finish using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Charliegrs posted:

Nevermind I figured it out. I pulled the ring on the red plug and it bled the air out. It was loud as hell. Anyway I figured I'd let you all know in case anyone else was wondering.

The plug on the bottom is to drain out the water that will collect in the tank from condensation of the compressed air. If you don't drain it periodically (or every time you use it maybe) then you'll have higher humidity in the air delivered to the brush, and the bottom of the tank may rust eventually (or quickly depending on how the tank is made and from what).

Edit: Oops... beaten didn't realize there was a new page.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Base colors are done, next is Satin varnish, washes, and chipping
I read that as Satan varnish.

Devilishly good! Will seal your sins better than an exorcism! :devil:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I know bikes and cars aren't always this threads thing but it's all I build so its what I will post.

I've been working on a repsol honda RC213V for the last week and managed to get all of the body panels painted up today. I did learn one thing about zero paints today and thats that my previous super light coats method wasn't working super well cause I ended up with a little bit of crazing. When I did the fluro red I put the coats on a little thicker which seemed to have worked in stopping any crazing underneath it but I did get some with the fluro orange. Results are below:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I know bikes and cars aren't always this threads thing but it's all I build so its what I will post.

I've been working on a repsol honda RC213V for the last week and managed to get all of the body panels painted up today. I did learn one thing about zero paints today and thats that my previous super light coats method wasn't working super well cause I ended up with a little bit of crazing. When I did the fluro red I put the coats on a little thicker which seemed to have worked in stopping any crazing underneath it but I did get some with the fluro orange. Results are below:

All models are rad! Post post post.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Never not post models of any kind. The racing liveries you do are delightfully vibrant and I always enjoy getting to see them.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Primed the rear shock springs today and man I remember why I hate spraying stynylrez. It just absolutely hates my airbrush. I demoted my H&S Ultra to just primer & metallics and the speed at which the primer dries in the airbrush and clogs it to bugger and I need to disassemble it and give it a proper cleaning just to get it running again.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I'm just a lurker, but I am a car and bike fan, so :justpost:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Primed the rear shock springs today and man I remember why I hate spraying stynylrez. It just absolutely hates my airbrush. I demoted my H&S Ultra to just primer & metallics and the speed at which the primer dries in the airbrush and clogs it to bugger and I need to disassemble it and give it a proper cleaning just to get it running again.

What size needle/nozzle are you using. Most H&S airbrushes have fairly small needle/nozzles as default, and Stynylrez recommends high pressure and a large nozzle.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What size needle/nozzle are you using. Most H&S airbrushes have fairly small needle/nozzles as default, and Stynylrez recommends high pressure and a large nozzle.

it's a .4 at 20-30 like the bottle says, it just dries real fast in it and the Ultra being the basic model with only one interlal seal it gets clogged up real easy. I got some flow improver I could try throwing in there the next time I need to prime something.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Deeters posted:

I'm just a lurker, but I am a car and bike fan, so :justpost:

Well in that case…

I’m hardly even a lurker here, but I did just finish my first motorcycle. It was really a fun build, and I will probably scoop up a Tamiya Ducati soon even though I’ve got a heap of cars to work on.

Jägermeister 934 is the next one, in the spirit of the season and all that.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I am lieking these bieks. The Jager 934 is a great kit.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

nitsuga posted:

Well in that case…

I’m hardly even a lurker here, but I did just finish my first motorcycle. It was really a fun build, and I will probably scoop up a Tamiya Ducati soon even though I’ve got a heap of cars to work on.

Jägermeister 934 is the next one, in the spirit of the season and all that.

I'm liking the bike and the ducati 1199 is a good kit. If it's the tamiya 934 its a really nice kit which I've built both variants of. The decals are a little brittle though if memory serves correct.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

All I build is armor, so I'm always interested in seeing other stuff. Always. Be. Posting plastic toys.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
When in doubt, always post. I build military stuff, but seeing the ultra-smooth finishes that you automotive guys get is just fascinating.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I don't know why I keep posting photos of this piece of trash.

Some of the chipping looks great. Some looks meh.

The tracks are falling apart already.

next: Filter. Dirt. Flat Coat. Throw it on the shelf until it falls the rest of the way apart.

DO NOT BUY THIS KIT!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I always forget how delicate tamiyas own decals are compared to their cartograph made offerings. I started on the decals on the bike build and they're slow progress cause they don't really want to conform to the surface and break apart if you look at them funny. Like decals aren't a foreign concept for me but these are deffo giving me a run for my money.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Bought a cheap Revell VW Beetle kit on a whim, and it's quite an obnoxious kit. The sprues are lettered, but the instructions ignore that fact, and just call out pieces by their number. Which, ok, fine, then surely the parts will all be sequential on the sprues, right? No? Part numbers are just dispersed randomly throughout every sprue? I need to check every single sprue every single time I need to find a part?

The sprues are already lettered. It would have taken literally minutes for them to update the instructions.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Oof. I’d probably sit down and add that to the instructions myself one evening. A Beetle is on my wishlist, so maybe I’ll take my chances with a Samba Bus instead.

Sorry to hear about the other modeling troubles too. The dark parts are no fun. The clear coat wrinkled on the Yamaha I posted earlier and ended up sanding it all down and changing color schemes. Just glad it didn’t happen on one of the cars really.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slugworth posted:

Bought a cheap Revell VW Beetle kit on a whim, and it's quite an obnoxious kit. The sprues are lettered, but the instructions ignore that fact, and just call out pieces by their number. Which, ok, fine, then surely the parts will all be sequential on the sprues, right? No? Part numbers are just dispersed randomly throughout every sprue? I need to check every single sprue every single time I need to find a part?

The sprues are already lettered. It would have taken literally minutes for them to update the instructions.

I've built kits like this and obnoxious is the right word. It's not hard just irritating, like the thing keeps pissing on your shoes. Though it does help you appreciate the folks like Tamiya who have their poo poo together.

Now imagine if Revell combined with the Dragon instructions people to make the ultimate hostile instructions.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Slugworth posted:

The Tamiya Beetle kit is a dream to build and I don't think it's that much more expensive.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Everything I've ever heard about Revell gives me the impression that the best thing you can do with a Revell kit is leave it on the store shelf.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

The thing about Revell is that they're not all bad kits - you just have to do your research (i.e. check Scalemates) beforehand.

This is because there could be almost anything inside the box. If you're unlucky, it could be ancient US Revell, or it could be Monogram (although some folk are nostalgic for these kits). Anything made by Revell of Germany is likely to be decent, especially from the 90s where they seemed to be on a run of extremely nice aircraft kits with super fine engraved panel lines etc.

These days p much everything Revell release (with some exceptions like their upcoming 1/48 SR71) is reboxed from other manufacturers - Special Hobby, Academy, ICM, Hasegawa, Dragon etc. These are usually slightly cheaper than the original boxing, sometimes with better decals sheets too. Their instructions from the last decade or so are much improved now from those awful b&w ones that looked like they'd been photocopied one hundred times too.

So as usual it always pays to check a kit's provenance on Scalemates!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Are they cheaper? My local shop has Revell reboxes of Zvezda kits on the same shelf as the original kits, but priced $10-30 higher.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

grassy gnoll posted:

Sprue Brothers deal of the day is the RFM Pz IV G for thirty bucks, and that's pretty hard to beat. https://spruebrothers.com/rfmrm5053-1-35-rye-field-model-panzerkampfwagen-iv-ausf-g-sd-kfz-161-1-with-workable-track-links/

I have made a huge mistake. The track pins are so tiny, and there are so, so many of them.

The Revell 1/72 Vampire's cheaper than the Special Hobby boxing. Their Me 262 was surprisingly decent for a Revell original, too. Conversely I hated every second of their Leopard 2A6, which is one of theirs from 2011.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I've built quite a bit of Revell and it really helps to look up a kit's history and some reviews before buying it. I've been burned before by buying something that looked interesting but turned out to be ancient and ill-fitting (even if the decal sheet was pretty dang good)

Their stuff's not bad and I actually like their instructions for being clear, at least most of the time. Would be better if they didn't resort to mixing Revell colors in the instructions though and instead also offer alternatives in the form of RAL, RLM or FS colors as they only occasionally do this.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Vorenus posted:

Everything I've ever heard about Revell gives me the impression that the best thing you can do with a Revell kit is leave it on the store shelf.

I have a ton of older Revell planes from when I first got back into modelling that were very inexpensive and enjoyable to build and paint to a mediocre level. So I carry a lot of goodwill for the brand.

Aside from the BMP I'm currently building it's not even that I don't like the kits I've built lately, it's just that there's better options out there. Also, my standard of what "Acceptable" is has gone up a lot.

anyways, further attempts at oil washes for panel lines going...... fine?

Definitely used the wrong clearcoat on this one. Micro-Satin is great for pre-filter and weathering but isn't working for me for panel lines, next model I'm moving back to gloss.
I need a better method for re-scribing panel lines because razor saw is ok for straight longer lines but equipment access panels etc don't work that way
I'm still a coward about how much i can allow the paint to dry before wiping it off. this model had quite a bit of staining on the white sections and places where I just wiped the paint out of the panel lines.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

"man, these springs look really flat. oooh the bottle says XF-7" Had to spray them again anyway so I cut it with half red half gloss and it looks a lot better.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

For the record, the Revell beetle seems ok other than the annoying instructions. I think I saw on scalemates that the mold is from the 70s, and if so, it's surprisingly decent for such an oldie. Not a ton of detail, but I got my money's worth.

Their Samba T1 bus that comes with all the hippie decals was a very enjoyable build. All the chrome pieces looked fantastic, good level of detail, everything fit together nicely.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Revells are good for practice. I have a couple real lovely ones from the 70s and I find that 1) its nothing that can't be fixed if you have the patience and 2) they are excellent "blank canvasses." With kits <$30 I only make happy little accidents, with a >$60 Tamiya, I cry if a suspension arm snaps or a decal tears.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
If it was the 1:24 Beetle that mold is from 2013 originally, I built it a few years ago and it's pretty neat.

The T1 is also quite enjoyable but the version I built was the cargo van version which came with some nice big Jägermeister decals. Was fairly early in my modelling career so I chickened out on building that variant (I also lacked the colors it asked for) and instead just built the basic blue alternative version. Still ended up with a decent amount of spare parts.

Might have to find it again and build it once more.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
For panel lines, would the panel line pens used in gunpla work? Or do they not hold well on the plastic/paint here?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

There's no reason it wouldn't be fine, gunpla is plastic and paint same as other models. Just have to make sure to have a pen small enough for your panel lines and not to run over the edge.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

There's no reason it wouldn't be fine, gunpla is plastic and paint same as other models. Just have to make sure to have a pen small enough for your panel lines and not to run over the edge.

Right, I was unsure if the type of plastic or the glossiness of it would affect it. And you can get some fine tipped pens due to the size of the models and thus the panel lines you are working. Anyway, was just asking/suggesting concerning the discussion earlier with panel lining an instrument cluster.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

You're still going to be way better off using a traditional wash though for something like an instrument panel purely for the capilliary action to get into all the nooks and crannies, plus you can always remove mistakes with thinner. Not sure if you can even clean up the gunpla pens, I just smelled mine (:downs:) and it didn't smell alcohol based.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You're still going to be way better off using a traditional wash though for something like an instrument panel purely for the capilliary action to get into all the nooks and crannies, plus you can always remove mistakes with thinner. Not sure if you can even clean up the gunpla pens, I just smelled mine (:downs:) and it didn't smell alcohol based.

They have erasers. And there are flow pens. Oh well, my mind has this tiny instrument cluster where getting a brush into without hitting the rest would be difficult. But that is me and perhaps brush sizes have improved. I'll admit the last time I did that kind of plastic modeling was the 80s. And my current model work is.. a different breed. I'll post an update once I get the work done (parts are here, just been busy with other things).

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So a quick google on marker-lining models and it used to be a done thing.

I also confirmed my biggest problem is not widening the lines before priming.

And also, I’m gonna try pencil lead on the Sukhoi since I’m flat varnish coating it anyways.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

JuffoWup posted:

They have erasers. And there are flow pens. Oh well, my mind has this tiny instrument cluster where getting a brush into without hitting the rest would be difficult. But that is me and perhaps brush sizes have improved. I'll admit the last time I did that kind of plastic modeling was the 80s. And my current model work is.. a different breed. I'll post an update once I get the work done (parts are here, just been busy with other things).

Use a product like Tamiya panel liner and it just gets sucked into all the cracks when you touch the brush to it.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Are they cheaper? My local shop has Revell reboxes of Zvezda kits on the same shelf as the original kits, but priced $10-30 higher.

I guess it just depends - I can only speak from my experience in the UK. I noticed that ICM's recently tooled 1/72 Mig-25 foxbat was selling for about £24 whereas Revell's reboxing of it was less than £20.

Great kit by the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Looks absolutely gorgeous. I've wanted to build that ever since I saw it on the modelling news.