Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Best thing about this series getting a TV show is recycling twenty year old jokes

The real issue here is were you in the Wheel of Time group in the usenet ALT hierarchy or the REC hierarchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
rasfwrj or bust

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Thanks for Wheel Takes.

She lasered right in on Graendal to Asmo

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Early 90s WOT MUDs too binch

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

not even borges’s wildest dreams could have envisioned the wotfaq

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Aborted posted:

Ali cracks me up with some of her chapter notes. gently caress boy Aram and the Way of the Queef

I've thought about clipping out her notes on Leash Kid Gwen just to share with friends, to give context on this new podcast I've been rambling about (which is the only thing that has interrupted my nonstop talk about The Wheel of Time). (To be clear, this is episode tGH (CH38-40): The Worst Study Abroad Ever.)

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
no wheel of time groups for me. I did however read lots of theoryland and dragonmount.

ali making correct calls left and right.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Barreft posted:

Early 90s WOT MUDs too binch

I tried out one of those! It seemed unfriendly to newbies sadly so I didn't get far.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

silvergoose posted:

I tried out one of those! It seemed unfriendly to newbies sadly so I didn't get far.

Yeah they weren't, but I was like 10 and I had summer break y'know how it goes

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

MUDs gonna make a comeback since MMOs are proving to suck and custom content is on the rise, just you wait

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Brolander posted:

no wheel of time groups for me. I did however read lots of theoryland and dragonmount.

ali making correct calls left and right.

I think we've discussed this before, but some iconic works are far less surprising in their twists to modern readers because these very twists/character progressions/etc. are now standard tools of the genre, so they've become familiar to the genre's readers.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

silvergoose posted:

Ah, the hallmark of a quality mud.

"You're new? gently caress YOU"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Torrannor posted:

I think we've discussed this before, but some iconic works are far less surprising in their twists to modern readers because these very twists/character progressions/etc. are now standard tools of the genre, so they've become familiar to the genre's readers.

She also makes just as many incorrect calls*, but she's able to read Gus's face when she gets one right so she zeroes in on those.

Clocking Galad as a Whitecloak in book 2 is still impressive though, no way around it.

*Gawyn: Rand's #1 fan!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I don’t mind New Spring after book 5. Someone earlier said it ‘disrupted the second trilogy’ but I don’t really like the idea of books 4-6 being considered a grouping. Thematically it makes more sense to me to group 4&5 together and then 6-8. Also Cadsuane is the only character of consequence to be spoiled in New Spring and I think I actually prefer the reveal when she appears in the main books if you already know who she is.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

She also makes just as many incorrect calls*, but she's able to read Gus's face when she gets one right so she zeroes in on those.

Clocking Galad as a Whitecloak in book 2 is still impressive though, no way around it.

*Gawyn: Rand's #1 fan!

I did love the 5 minute megacut of them talking about Ba'alzamon/Ishamael at the end of TDR

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

The Lord Bude posted:

I don’t mind New Spring after book 5. Someone earlier said it ‘disrupted the second trilogy’ but I don’t really like the idea of books 4-6 being considered a grouping. Thematically it makes more sense to me to group 4&5 together and then 6-8. Also Cadsuane is the only character of consequence to be spoiled in New Spring and I think I actually prefer the reveal when she appears in the main books if you already know who she is.

I got the "second trilogy" notion from some conversation earlier, either here or in the TV show thread, about breaking the series down as a quartet of trilogies. I took a liking to it when I realized it made the climax points: the fall of the Stone, Dumai's Wells, the cleansing of saidin, and the Last Battle. (The joke here is that book ten is just an intermission, and eleven some kind of non-trilogy course-correction. I guess if I was more serious about trilogizing, 10, 10.5, 11 form the fourth trilogy of Slow Burn, Prequel, Holy poo poo right before the end starts up.) It's not something I'm super invested in, just one more way I was expressing frustration. But I like it, at least the first three, as a way of organizing Rand's story.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Cadsuane showing up as any kind of known quantity. Like, I'm actually not sure, could see reasonable arguments either way and just happen to already be on one side.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Barreft posted:

Thanks for Wheel Takes.

She lasered right in on Graendal to Asmo

its intuitively obvious to the most casual observer :enkidel:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SerSpook posted:

its intuitively obvious to the most casual observer :enkidel:

:golfclap:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

The one that got me was her saying Thom and Moiraine were going to hook up. By the time the party was leaving the Two Rivers.

"How? Why? What did he do to make you think that?"
"He licked his lips."
"He absolutely did not. ... He might've blown out his moustaches."
"What is that? How do you do that?"
"Hppfffh!"

Next book:
"So Dena's a short, pale brunette?"
"She's ... a Cairhienin, yes."
"Thom's got a tyyyype."

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

okay the entire chastity belt stuff with rand is golden

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jaxyon posted:

Ah, the hallmark of a quality mud.

"You're new? gently caress YOU"

The 90's / early 2000's :allears:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just started the Wheel Takes podcast. Kinda grating, but worth it for the one take I completely missed

Ishmael starts threatening them and saying he;'s a bad guy right off the bat, she points out that's not how you get what you want from teenage boys. Later Mordeth shows up, being super creepy, and still gets them to come into his haunted basement with his promise of treasure. If Ishmael had offered them just ONE loving ter'angreal trinket from his journeys while compiling his evil resume, he could have gotten at least 1, if not 2, or even all 3 to swear to the shadow or corrupt them or compel them or anything. Really underplayed.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Just started the Wheel Takes podcast. Kinda grating, but worth it for the one take I completely missed

Ishmael starts threatening them and saying he;'s a bad guy right off the bat, she points out that's not how you get what you want from teenage boys. Later Mordeth shows up, being super creepy, and still gets them to come into his haunted basement with his promise of treasure. If Ishmael had offered them just ONE loving ter'angreal trinket from his journeys while compiling his evil resume, he could have gotten at least 1, if not 2, or even all 3 to swear to the shadow or corrupt them or compel them or anything. Really underplayed.

ishy just likes to be an honest bargainer, really sell what serving the shadow is all about

it's frankly baffling that so many aes sedai joined up with the black ajah, one can only assume he had other recruiters that were not so concerned with honesty back during the trolloc wars

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

SerSpook posted:

ishy just likes to be an honest bargainer, really sell what serving the shadow is all about

it's frankly baffling that so many aes sedai joined up with the black ajah, one can only assume he had other recruiters that were not so concerned with honesty back during the trolloc wars

I think there's the narrative reason that they need more bad guys other than mooks from nowhere, and then there's the other reasoning that such a selective and secretive society made itself ripe pickings for inside influence. "Amazing that she passed the test for the shawl, isn't it?"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SerSpook posted:

Trolloc Wars seem like a prime time to turn people to the Shadow tbh. Just sell them on the idea that they're on the losing side and the Trollocs are gonna win, and if you join now you don't die horribly. Probably easier for people to bite on that when they're in the middle of a century long hell war instead of the relative period of peace at the end of the age.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
I think Ishy prolly also got nuttier after each nap in the prison or whatever.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
People being dumb and swaring their souls to a dark master for the promise of power is the most realistic thing about the whole series.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SerSpook posted:

Ishamael at that point literally believes himself to be the Dark One. He's not playing with a full deck.

As for the Aes Sedai, they love to engage in political ladder climbing. And as we see from the POV of Darkfriends, until the Dark One actually began to stir it was very unlikely that a Darkfriend would ever be called on to do anything. It was basically a social club where the price of admission was doing something evil, and in return you'd get access to "the right people". That's why Sheriam joins the Black, for example.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

People being dumb and swaring their souls to a dark master for the promise of power is the most realistic thing about the whole series.

It is also explicit text that a lot of the people who swore to the Dark One didn't really believe it would ever matter. They did so on a lark, or because it gave them a new approach for ordinary power.

Folks that joined explicitly for the promise of direct rewards like immortality are probably a distinct minority.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I imagine in a lot of cases the pitch was "Swear or we'll kill you."

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
There's also the circle of thirteen plus thirteen myrddraal that could convert a channeler against their will, though apparently that was last done during the Trolloc Wars before Taim started (though of course there was also The Town for male Aiel sent to the blight)

Edit: I meant to say I've been amazed at Ali making such good called shots, though her insistence on stanning for Liandrin is funny and I can't wait until for when that drops

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 7, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ninjoatse.cx posted:

At that point the True Power had sent Ishy almost completely insane.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I also like how they really bring out just how over the top Ishy really is, especially in the first book, like he's 9/10ths of the way to going full Doctor Doom and not far from tipping over into camp. but it works. Jordan knew when to turn the dial up to 11.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Zore posted:

Trolloc Wars seem like a prime time to turn people to the Shadow tbh. Just sell them on the idea that they're on the losing side and the Trollocs are gonna win, and if you join now you don't die horribly. Probably easier for people to bite on that when they're in the middle of a century long hell war instead of the relative period of peace at the end of the age.

It was like 350 years of war. Pretty loving insane.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I also like how they really bring out just how over the top Ishy really is, especially in the first book, like he's 9/10ths of the way to going full Doctor Doom and not far from tipping over into camp. but it works. Jordan knew when to turn the dial up to 11.

He was really being sold as the BBEG in a very binary good vs evil overall conflict. He didn't want this to be mistaken as a "everyone has their own viewpoints" on the matter of the Shadow, except for fools.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Doing a reread and it always surprises me how slow the payoff is. 150 pages left and they’re still in Camelyn.

Not complaining - just always catches me off guard. I always think the Ways/Eye and denouement is like a third of the book and it’s not even close.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Vavrek posted:

And how she would just be crushed if that turned out to be actually true.

Also, I don't think I've seen him in the last few pages: I would like to flag down goon Mat Cauthon and say: no really, listen to like an episode or two of this podcast. This woman's absolute scorn for our favorite boy was just a joy to listen to. She is, apparently, a teacher, who spends a lot of her time around small-and-medium-sized children.

Like, Gus, running through characters, gets to Mat. Ali: "The dumbass."
Later, at Shadar Logoth: Gus: "This is really when Mat becomes The Dumbass and not just That loving Guy."
(Followed by, in book two, Ali realizing that Mat's right when he says he's the only sane one left. I'm up to Nynaeve's Accepted test in the podcast, no idea how she reacts to Mat POV chapters.)

Honestly, their take on Ba'alzamon vs. Mordeth was pretty great, too. How does Ba'alzamon try to get the boys on his side? ... Killing rats? "You know what sixteen year old boys want? Candy and a car. GIVE THEM THINGS." Mordeth? "Hello, my name is MORE DEATH. ... You're still here? That didn't sound weird to you? How about you come into my basement, where I have treasure."

edit so you don't have to search around a ton: Podcast is named Wheel Takes.

Late reply but thanks for the heads up. Been swamped with work recently but sounds like this might be good background listening while I'm pulling all nighters.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I agree with whoever said that Ishamael probably gets nuttier each time he gets "spun out" from the Bore prison and by the time we get to the 3rd age story he's too far gone to really fixate on anything beyond getting the gently caress out of the Pattern. It takes his death and "reincarnation" to reel him back a bit and try to realize the more subtle plan".

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

DarkHorse posted:

There's also the circle of thirteen plus thirteen myrddraal that could convert a channeler against their will, though apparently that was last done during the Trolloc Wars before Taim started (though of course there was also The Town for male Aiel sent to the blight)

Edit: I meant to say I've been amazed at Ali making such good called shots, though her insistence on stanning for Liandrin is funny and I can't wait until for when that drops

The 13+13 method seems like the channelers it creates somehow become a bit uncanny vally so isnt great for subtle infiltration

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

DarkHorse posted:

I really wish there'd been a bit more about that town. It seemed like a really interesting way that the Shadow used the madness of men channeling for their own recruitment. And I don't think all of the male Aiel had to be turned, they just used it when they had to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I'm really enjoying the Wheel Takes podcast too! It has the exact kind of silly humor that I like, combined with a genuine enthusiasm for the subject matter. I guess it's niche enough that no one involved is going to be making any actual money off of this anyway, so there's no use becoming horrible corporate ghouls.