Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I remember SARS as something other countries had to deal with. We (Australia) had a screening program for entry but it was relatively unobtrusive and nobody with SARS ever entered the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
So I found this excellent page (which I actually remember reading way back in Mlebourne's 202 lockdown)

https://chrisbillington.net/COVID_VIC_2021.html

It seems to me that with high levels of vaccination, even with delta, it is possible to get the R number below 1. Obviously the length of that stay below one is variable on a whole host of things but I would guess boosters will come into play.

So I guess the answer to the question

VitalSigns posted:

Do you think we should just let cases go up and up and up exponentially until the hospitals overflow and the healthcare system collapses?

No, that would be silly.

and

VitalSigns posted:

Or are you advocating some middle path where we let cases go up and up and up exponentially until the hospitals get close to full and then lock down and finally start reducing cases?

No, we vaccinate, and ease and apply lock downs and restrictions as necessary.

This seems doable in Australia, but if 25% of your population has tied its entire identity to not getting vaccinated you're out of luck.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Illuminti posted:

I genuinely don't know. What is the R0 with say 85% of the population (whole population not just adults) vaccinated?

Hey, that's pretty much exactly the US' vaccination/infection seroprevalence going into the current Delta outbreak!

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

StrangeThing posted:

Yeah. And I'm asking you, what are "the things" necessary?

Is it police on every street corner?

Is it random checks on households?

Is it making all outside activity illegal? E.g. cannot step outside your house at all?

What are those things, and what enforcement mechanism can be used to implement them?

Gio posted:

And again, I say—look to China, what are they doing? Are those things they needed to do? If the answer is “yes,” then yeah those things are necessary. I’m not a lockdown expert nor do I have any interest in discussing every minutae of public policy down to who mows the lawns.

Like just go outside and break the rules of your crappy “lockdown” already sheesh.

China is not a great comparison for 'what should X country do'. Yes, they have done an amazing job of getting and keeping Covid under control despite it originating there, spreading there for months before it was recognized, having a billion people, etc.

However, China has a few things in its favor that a lot of countries do not have and cannot just switch on overnight. It doesn't discount Chinese performance, but it does limit the transferability of the lessons.

1. People are a lot less likely to break these types of rules. This is not to say that Chinese people are drones. There is a gently caress-ton of rule breaking in China in many contexts. But generally speaking people almost don't even need to be reminded not to do things that are against a government priority. It loving sucks that so many countries are full of selfish dickheads who break rules meant to protect other people, but that doesn't change easily.

2. When people do break rules that are a priority, the government will do a helluva lot more than just hit you with a fine. Use your imagination. This is likely a big contributor to the first factor. There are things that liberal democracies with rule of law are not going to do, almost by definition. The Australian government (or whoever) can't sack the lovely mayor and end his career with a phone call and send in a replacement. They can't censor and imprison journalists for spreading misinformation (not that those imprisoned in China were spreading misinformation), much less shadowban ordinary people in messaging apps. China probably hasn't needed to harshly enforce rules for regular people because regular people have, knowing the unpleasant consequences, followed them. (And if they have harshly enforced the rules, we probably wouldn't hear about it.)

3. With the exception of the US, I'd be surprised if there were anywhere with as much public police presence as in China. There are lots of police around (especially in the minority quarters). There are cameras everywhere, and though I suspect that's true of a lot of countries now, they are far more operationalized in China. There are flunky security guards absolutely everywhere. Every podunk neighborhood has some old fogey sitting in a booth at the entrance.

Combined, these things make it far more likely that people comply with rules and far easier to enforce them when people don't comply. (If Covid did get out of control, I think this system would reach its limits. The enforcement capacity is not infinite. But the trick is not to let it get out of control.)

When I look at places like Australia, and especially the US, none of these advantages are in place. Significant portions of the population deliberately break rules. They deliberately do poo poo that directly hurts themselves! There is not as much policy-wise the authorities can do about noncompliance. This sucks during a pandemic, but it's also a blessing at other times. BLM protests? Never would have happened. And while there are tons of police in the US, they are often in the lovely group that is not going to enforce the rules. There are also a lot more enforcement gaps than you'd see in somewhere like China — more data privacy, less presence in residential communities, etc. — again stuff that is probably a net good during normal times.

Additionally, a factor that I think is overlooked is political economy. There is tremendous incentive for China to prolong travel bans and keep a tight leash on things. They're pushing through major domestic political and economic reforms that would have been harder during ordinary times. The Beijing Olympics are early next year, and impressing the world with them is far more important to the Party than it would be for virtually any other country. Xi is breaking precedent and starting a third term next year and does not want to do anything to jeopardize that. I'm not saying these are the reasons PRC has had a effective Covid response, but it would be very different if the economy were dependent on tourism and labor migration.

All that said, this does not mean that the alternative to Zero Covid is Let'er Rip. I don't think anyone in this thread is suggesting that. I think everyone laments that we can't have more decisive and effective responses in many places. But people are rightly recognizing that some of the proposed solutions are basically fantasies.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah that's true, I'm definitely guilty of seeing everything through the lens of the states, where it was basically game over once Trump ordered that plague ship unloaded and none of its passengers tracked or traced, because the way states work in the US is uncontrollable anarchy compared to pretty much everywhere else. Did Australia have as much of a scare/response to SARS? I know early on at least you could pretty reliably predict how well a country would contain COVID based on if they had to do a bunch of poo poo to stop SARS a decade before, probably makes a lot of difference having that fresh in people's minds when its still novel

I don't think there was much of a response to SARS anywhere in the western world. I was in Toronto during SARS, which IIRC was the only place with a notable outbreak outside of Asia, and there wasn't any NPIs I can remember that average people would have encountered (my partner wore a mask out, but there was no requirement for that and it was considered VERY odd at the time). I vaguely recall hearing about temperature checks at the airport. Certainly nothing that even approached the response to COVID.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Illuminti posted:

No, we vaccinate, and ease and apply lock downs and restrictions as necessary.

This seems doable in Australia, but if 25% of your population has tied its entire identity to not getting vaccinated you're out of luck.

If the lockdowns and restriction you apply can get Rt below 1, why not do that now

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

If the lockdowns and restriction you apply can get Rt below 1, why not do that now

Because they have to be in conjunction with the vaccination program. We have been in lockdown for 250 days. It has kept the R number low but not below 1. Now with a high percentage of vaccinations we can get that R number below 1.

Without the vaccine that wouldn't be possible without resorting to your frankly unrealistic ideas about what a lockdown should be

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 7, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Smeef posted:

Combined, these things make it far more likely that people comply with rules and far easier to enforce them when people don't comply. (If Covid did get out of control, I think this system would reach its limits. The enforcement capacity is not infinite. But the trick is not to let it get out of control.)

Exactly. Australia and New Zealand were also zero-COVID success stories until they weren't. The pandemic isn't over yet.

VitalSigns posted:

Because even with a highly vaccinated population you could only maintain a COVID-zero status by keeping closed borders, two-week quarantine, heavy restrictions and occasional snap lockdowns for years and years to come, and that goes in the Not Worth It Basket where it belongs

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

Case count in the US has been trending downwards for weeks, so what we are currently doing DOES have the Rt below 1.

What the struggle is is that it keeps spiking back up and likely will again. Our measures have been sufficient repeatedly to cause case decline but not sufficient to maintain that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Illuminti posted:

Because they have to be in conjunction with the vaccination program. We have been in lockdown for 250 days. It has kept the R number low but not below 1. Now with a high percentage of vaccinations we can get that R number below 1.

Without the vaccine that wouldn't be possible without resorting to your frankly unrealistic ideas about what a lockdown should be

I understand the reasoning of doing lockdowns in conjunction with vaccines, if you get 85% of people vaccinated the lockdowns can be less strict.

I don't understand the reasoning of easing up the lockdowns while cases are increasing (meaning you haven't yet vaccinated enough people for the current lockdown to be enough, let alone an eased one). That seems backwards to me.

Sounds like killing a bunch of extra people for very dubious benefit.

freebooter posted:

Because even with a highly vaccinated population you could only maintain a COVID-zero status by keeping closed borders, two-week quarantine, heavy restrictions and occasional snap lockdowns for years and years to come, and that goes in the Not Worth It Basket where it belongs

If cases are trending down, you get to covid zero.

If cases are trending up, they grow exponentially because that is how exponentials work, so is your proposal to let cases grow exponentially until they overwhelm hospitals and collapse the healthcare system, or is there a point where you have to lock down anyway and get cases to trend back down.

Suck Moredickis
Sep 12, 2021

by Epic High Five

VitalSigns posted:

And it makes even less sense because there's not a 100% chance you get infected every day. If there's a 1% chance I get infected on any given day, then if I go two days there's a 1-(0.99*0.99) =98% chance I get infected one of those days.

Dude ahahahaha no loving way

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Case count in the US has been trending downwards for weeks, so what we are currently doing DOES have the Rt below 1.

What the struggle is is that it keeps spiking back up and likely will again. Our measures have been sufficient repeatedly to cause case decline but not sufficient to maintain that.

lmao

Yeah U.S policy has been a great success. We succeeded in pushing the R0 below one by doing nothing and letting it rip through the population until it burns itself out—only to start up again in other parts of the country.

Gio fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 7, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Healthcare is already ready to collapse and its not just from covid,, you literally have regions that are at capacity EMS and hospital wise that are ticking time bombs until the staff walk out. Hospitals that are shuttering regionals to take the staff there to help at the main hospitals. Or closing beds off because they literally do not have staff to run them. Its not even covid, its from all the health issues that people avoided dealing with during lockdown that have come to roust, and worse then they could have been. Or cant see their doctors and things went downhill. Screaming that covid is the sole thing ignores the fact that you have entire systems that are basically shuddering corpses that can barely staff a ward at this point.

Prof beetus literally posted 3 articles detailing this a few weeks ago. And thats from an area that hasn't been hit by covid hard at all.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
After thinking more about "how could other countries have acted more like China/Taiwan/HK/other good performers," I do think there might have been a window of opportunity to overcome a lot of the issues that have been subsequent barriers. This is a purely theoretical exercise, though, and I'm not sure if it offers any real suggestions for what countries can do now.

There was probably a brief window early in the pandemic when it was overwhelmingly obvious that a catastrophe was imminent but not too late to take action. A Republican US president — and I think only a Republican US president, given the state of US politics — could have passed a PATRIOT Act for pandemics. It would have framed the pandemic in a totally different manner. It would have enabled the US to strong arm other countries to follow suite. It would have to be the US in this role since I can't imagine anyone else having that power, and it requires global coordination to work. And today we'd be debating about abuse of its powers (which there no doubt would be) instead of the incompetence and impotence of so many countries.

It still seems like a long shot even in this fantasy scenario.

But it also reminds me just how much Trump hosed this up for everyone and how dumb the "Biden is doing just as bad/worse" takes are. Trump singlehandedly blundered an opportunity to greatly empower himself, win reelection, and save millions of lives. He instead seemingly did just about everything imaginable to make it permanently harder for anyone to control, including outside the US. It's now almost inconceivable to imagine repairing the harm he did. Public health crises will be violently political for a long time, and meaningful legislation on the issue seems unlikely thanks to the state of Congress and the SCOTUS.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Suck Moredickis posted:

Dude ahahahaha no loving way

You haven't posted in awhile so I'll catch you up but you're gonna need to provide more than this

Suck Moredickis
Sep 12, 2021

by Epic High Five

Epic High Five posted:

You haven't posted in awhile so I'll catch you up but you're gonna need to provide more than this

Misread VS’s math, that’s on me

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Phigs posted:

I remember SARS as something other countries had to deal with. We (Australia) had a screening program for entry but it was relatively unobtrusive and nobody with SARS ever entered the country.

SARS was a lot easier to deal with because while it was deadlier, it didn't have all this asymptomatic transmission COVID-19 has. You weren't infectious until you had symptoms with SARS.

Which made screening a hell of a lot easier.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Suck Moredickis posted:

Misread VS’s math, that’s on me

No you read it correctly, I typo'd on that post, someone else pointed it out later

my bad

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

SARS was a lot easier to deal with because while it was deadlier, it didn't have all this asymptomatic transmission COVID-19 has. You weren't infectious until you had symptoms with SARS.

Which made screening a hell of a lot easier.

That makes a lot of sense, hadn't realized its asymptomatic spread was so minimal tbh

VitalSigns posted:

No you read it correctly, I typo'd on that post, someone else pointed it out later

my bad

R0 calculations are a mess of variables in general, which is frustrating because of how valuable a tool they are for discussion of something so omnipresent and overwhelming as COVID.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gio posted:

lmao

Yeah U.S policy has been a great success. We succeeded in pushing the R0 below one by doing nothing and letting it rip through the population until it burns itself out—only to start up again in other parts of the country.

Yes?

Rt isn’t some morality award, if the count goes down the Rt is less than 1.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes?

yeah and it’s not because of any “measures” or anything we’re “doing.”

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes?

How many people die along the way might be.

The death star took every R-variable down to zero on Alderaan but some question whether anyone involved in the policymaking that led to that should get morality awards.

E: the Rt for the black death dropped below 1 eventually

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

It did do that.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I understand the reasoning of doing lockdowns in conjunction with vaccines, if you get 85% of people vaccinated the lockdowns can be less strict.

I don't understand the reasoning of easing up the lockdowns while cases are increasing (meaning you haven't yet vaccinated enough people for the current lockdown to be enough, let alone an eased one). That seems backwards to me.

Sounds like killing a bunch of extra people for very dubious benefit.

I can't believe you think anyone is suggesting this....

Lockdowns are easing in concert with vaccination numbers going up. I should specify in Australia. There's definitely a certain amount of disagreement/cross-talking that is coming from the fact that people in this thread have vastly different experiences both with covid personally and how the governments of those areas are dealing with it.

If any non-Aussies are interested here is Victoria's roadmap to "covid normal"

https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-09/Roadmap_Summary_210921.pdf

as you can see it's basically a huge push to get to a stage where you can have 30 people in your house by Christmas! That is our north star, our Everest, our shinning city on a hill...

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

If cases are trending down, you get to covid zero.

If cases are trending up, they grow exponentially because that is how exponentials work, so is your proposal to let cases grow exponentially until they overwhelm hospitals and collapse the healthcare system, or is there a point where you have to lock down anyway and get cases to trend back down.

Flu numbers trend up and down every year without us either eradicating influenza or overwhelming our hospital system. Sometimes in a bad flu year we implement precautions like restricting visitors to hospitals or aged care facilities. Most people do not notice this because most people don't regularly interact with hospitals or aged care facilities.

This is what will occur in a highly vaccinated population with COVID. The restrictions will be stricter than for the flu and the death toll will be higher than for the flu. How much stricter and how much higher we don't know yet, because no country has gone through a winter spike with a highly vaccinated population yet.

VitalSigns posted:

Case numbers in New South Wales are falling and it's generally considered to be because they got a majority of the population with at least one jab. The same situation will eventuate with Melbourne and Auckland.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

freebooter posted:

Case numbers in New South Wales are falling and it's generally considered to be because they got a majority of the population with at least one jab. The same situation will eventuate with Melbourne and Auckland.

The point is that R<1 should be an additional requirement to easing restrictions. Because if you're above 1 then you're already failing and opening up is only going to make it worse. So NSW can ease restriction under that logic but Vic should wait. Because maybe in Vic getting to 70% slows them down, but maybe it doesn't for whatever reason and they need a higher target. If we're targeting the vaccine % because that will contain cases, then we're aiming at a proxy for the thing we actually want to target; we should be aiming at cases being contained by the vaccinations directly. If Vic hits 70% and the cases keep going up then 70% is not working and they shouldn't ease restrictions unless they just want to give up.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

But the point of vaccination is also to decouple case rates from hospitalisations and deaths. Even if you get to a hypothetical 100% vaccination rate the virus is still going to spread because they're not sterilising vaccines, and so (presuming people still got tested) you would still see case numbers skyrocket as we opened up. That wouldn't mean opening up is a bad idea, since the virus is never going away and the purpose of restrictions going forward should be to protect the healthcare system, not keep cases down when those cases are no longer lethally scything through the populace.

edit - like, Sydney's numbers are going down now, but they'll shoot back up again when we open up. Melbourne's numbers are as bad as they've ever been, but probably still better than they'll look around New Year's. As much as I disdain the rest of the world for saddling us with this lovely new variant that makes elimination impossible, this is now the world we live in, and I'll take catching the novel virus over spending another six months of my life locked in my apartment.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 7, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

freebooter posted:

I'll take catching the novel virus over spending another six months of my life locked in my apartment.

Frankly I don't think you have the context necessary to make this statement.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
This is not "just the way it is" in China, where life is basically 2019. 2019 is more a more precious achievement than American democracy and I suspect it will be exported just as vigorously, and often in better faith.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

poll plane variant posted:

2019 is more a more precious achievement than American democracy and I suspect it will be exported

What in gently caress does this mean

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

User "freebooter" does not have the lived experience necessary to make their own life choices wrt continued strict lockdown, vaccination, and COVID-19 risk?

Who the hell are you to dictate what the necessary context for making personal decisions is?

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 7, 2021

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

This is not "just the way it is" in China, where life is basically 2019. 2019 is more a more precious achievement than American democracy and I suspect it will be exported just as vigorously, and often in better faith.

Because China is an authoritarian police state. This isn’t difficult to understand.

If I have to get vaccinated and face the fact I might catch COVID one day, I prefer that fate to living in a country like China.

The benefit isn’t worth the cost. It clearly is to you, which is fine - but then you should move because liberal democracies will never crack down on that sort of scale.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

freebooter posted:

But the point of vaccination is also to decouple case rates from hospitalisations and deaths. Even if you get to a hypothetical 100% vaccination rate the virus is still going to spread because they're not sterilising vaccines, and so (presuming people still got tested) you would still see case numbers skyrocket as we opened up. That wouldn't mean opening up is a bad idea, since the virus is never going away and the purpose of restrictions going forward should be to protect the healthcare system, not keep cases down when those cases are no longer lethally scything through the populace.

Yeah this is the giving up I mentioned.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

A resident of a city which has spent more days under harsh lockdown than any other city on the planet does not have the "context" to make this statement?

I know we are not supposed to do personal attacks, but perhaps I'll be given leeway on this: 100% go gently caress yourself you fuckhead

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Phigs posted:

Yeah this is the giving up I mentioned.

If cases are legitimately decoupled from hospitalization and deaths (I'd add long term consequences as well), how is that giving up? The problem with the decoupling argument is that too many places have been too eager to declare that it's happening before the data is actually showing it's occurring to a significant enough degree, but if it was achieved, why care about cases?

There's probably no realistic scenario where deaths get to 0, and deaths and severe outcomes are absolutely too high in many places right now to say "boom, decoupled. Covid is over!", but saying absolutely zero worldwide deaths ever is the only acceptable outcome is putting blinders on to any negative consequences of lockdowns and restrictions.

To give a hypothetical, if we got to a place where outcomes for COVID, including prevalence of oncoming symptoms were equivalent to influenza (note that I'm absolutely not saying that COVID is currently just the flu, or saying that it reducing severity to that level is a certainty or even likely, just as a thought experiment), would reducing it's prevalence even further be worth adopting some of the more restrictive measures that China adopts? (widespread surveillance, media control, more omnipresent and harsher policing)

enki42 fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 7, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

https://twitter.com/dvergano/status/1446101669159309314

"1 out of 500 children in the United States has experienced COVID-19-associated orphanhood or death of a grandparent caregiver."

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Muscle Tracer posted:

https://twitter.com/dvergano/status/1446101669159309314

"1 out of 500 children in the United States has experienced COVID-19-associated orphanhood or death of a grandparent caregiver."

They're defining "orphanhood" as including the death of one parent (including, I believe, among kids with more than one parent), which is... a way I've never heard that defined

I mean this is still horrible, to be clear. But I think to most people that headline would be very misleading

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
The dictionary definition of orphan includes losing 1 parent to death. I can think of a good reason. There are plenty of children living with a single parent, the other parent having left long ago nobody knows where they are. If the child's caregiving parent dies, they're orphaned.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

We don't have enough evidence to say that this wasn't caused by forcing children to smoke and fart jars. More study is needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Riptor posted:

They're defining "orphanhood" as including the death of one parent (including, I believe, among kids with more than one parent), which is... a way I've never heard that defined

I mean this is still horrible, to be clear. But I think to most people that headline would be very misleading

Yeah that's a bit of tricky one. If an orphan is only a child that has no living parents, then it is going to be a pretty complicated definition with all the adoptive parents, step-parents, and grandparents out there. If it's someone that has no legal guardians, then it's a definition that basically includes hardly anyone at all.