Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Banana flavour is based on a cultivar of banana that most people in the world have never tasted.

Also I always described Irn Bru as tasting like 'chemicals' until an American friend described it as tasting like bubblegum and now it tastes different to me. wtf.

Sweet and Sour sauce got ruined for me after another friend pointed out it's basically ketchup and I couldn't untaste it.

edit: 24 is the name of a TV series where a guy saves America by torturing people. The real life US Supreme Court then cited it as a reason why torture is good actually. wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shyrka posted:

Sweet and Sour sauce got ruined for me after another friend pointed out it's basically ketchup and I couldn't untaste it.

If you want to bulk out any sweet and sour-ish thing then yes, ketchup and golden syrup will give you most of the flavour. Or failing that you can just put ketchup on rice if you're desperate.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/FriendlyFires/status/1445752098390360064?s=20

unrelated:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/q2dje0/comment/hfkx4ab/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

quote:

Wow. Farming Today had some genuine criticism of the cabinet by the presenter. While in the past guests may have made strong criticisms of the government, or presenters may sometimes be mildly critical of DEFRA on specific issues like the backlog in the electronic basic payments system, this is the first time I can recall a presenter openly accusing the cabinet of ignorance or dishonesty -

'Boris Johnson seems not to understand that pigs culled on the farm can't go into the food chain, unless he does understand that but doesn't want to acknowledge it'.

And of Eustice's claim that butchers do have capacity, but are lying to government, as evidence Eustice said that butchers are claiming there's a skilled staff shortage, meanwhile importing lots of meat from eastern europe. This was debunked by two guests explaining that the particular meats imported are processed by machine, involving no skilled staff.

I do consider Farming Today to be something of a bellwether of tory leaning rural programming.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 7, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah morning news

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So, what's happening with covid these days? Cases are still really high, but no-one around me seems to be acknowledging its existence anymore. I took a bus into Manchester today and maybe ten people total were masked. Most of my local friends are just out doing whatever, and if they said to me "the pandemic? What pandemic?" :confused: like it had been plucked from their memory then it wouldn't surprise me.

Should I not still be avoiding social events? I'm just about holding things together on my own, but I don't trust that anyone I go and see is taking even a single precaution to prevent its spread, despite a few catching covid and one currently being in isolation.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

<whinge>
5 hours of meetings today and they're all on wretched Teams.
It's TERRIBLE compared to zoom.
It's taken me nearly half an hour for the wretched thing to open and it's hogging all my memory making my laptop keep freezing.
Last time I used it it was just as bad, hence why I opened the app nearly an hour before the first meeting starts at 10.
Zoom opens in just a few minutes.
:bahgawd:
</whinge>

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So, what's happening with covid these days? Cases are still really high, but no-one around me seems to be acknowledging its existence anymore. I took a bus into Manchester today and maybe ten people total were masked. Most of my local friends are just out doing whatever, and if they said to me "the pandemic? What pandemic?" :confused: like it had been plucked from their memory then it wouldn't surprise me.

Should I not still be avoiding social events? I'm just about holding things together on my own, but I don't trust that anyone I go and see is taking even a single precaution to prevent its spread, despite a few catching covid and one currently being in isolation.

In Wales, masks are still compulsory in shops. I noticed travelling on the train to Portsmouth a couple of weeks ago that almost everyone who was on in Wales was masked and stayed masked but the English just couldn't be assed.
It's running absolutely rampant in the schools round here. I work with two other women who have kids in (different) secondary schools one in England and one in Wales - and in the last month the kids have been in and out of school with positive lateral flow and PCR tests, constant alerts from the schools and both of them have had it too (both double vaccinated). I'm testing every few days and keeping well distant and also double masking whenever I'm within 8m (Institute of Physics recommended distance) of anyone else.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

New cases are seemingly rising much slower than they have in the past, deaths are on the downturn, and hospitalisations are on the downturn. Vaccination rate seems to be plateauing around 75% and there's not been much word of new vaccine-busting variants recently.

The big events that were risking a massive spike (the Euros, end of restrictions, schools going back) have all passed now so it's likely Christmas and flu season which might see another. There is word that schools are being hit hard at the moment though, at least two of my coworkers' families are isolating and I've been told by a friend that entire classes are out with Covid so... who knows what is actually happening vs. the public perception.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The handful of times I've been in Glasgow city centre in the past month mask wearing compliance in shops transport has been fairly high (I'd estimate about 80% for the places I was in... Superdrug, Sainsburys, H&M). It's still apparently mandatory in public spaces/transport but not enforced so I was actually surprised how widespread it still is. It's also still mandatory in high schools.

Vaccination rollout for 12 - 18 year olds apparently began last month, though couldn't tell you the percentages (edit: I can it's 65% of 'At Risk' teenagers who have had 1 dose of phizer, though anyone's guess what number that % represents). Cases in Scotland seem to be uncomfortably high but stable. Though there is evidence of ambulance services being under severe pressure, not clear how much this is due to Covid, Tory mad max world, or just general lack of money.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 7, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Had a checkup by phone and when I asked about this years flu vaccinations, the doctor said in a few weeks I should be getting a call for my covid vaccine booster and they'll give me the flu jab at the same time.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Eh, after 18 months of it, everyone's completely sick of hearing about Covid and thinking about Covid and just want to get on with their lives. I think I'm like a lot of people: I'm double vaccinated and while I still test myself weekly and wouldn't knowingly spread it around if I was positive, I don't think about Covid much any more beyond that. It's not like me continually fretting over the case numbers helps anything.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Once again the Tories were right, there is a weekly number of dead bodies people will accept, and it's probably where we are.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea everyone who wants it has had the chance to get double jabbed, and thankfully that's the vast majority of the UK population. If cases aren't leading to deaths or hospitalisations (which they aren't) why do they matter? or at least matter enough to worry about personally.

edit: Roughly 1500 people die everyday in the UK as standard. Current covid deaths are around 100 a day, and there's probably some overlap on the people dying. As long as that isn't exploding upwards expedentially, that's not a huge problem.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 7, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So, what's happening with covid these days?

You're literally a fruitbat doctor! You should have been on top of this from day one!!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, we're in the transition from Pandemic to Endemic now. People are taking the levels of prevention they feel comfortable with. Flu kills 30k a year on average, and this will just be another thing like that in five years time.

Both Herd Immunity and a certain level of deaths are things people are able to cope with, but not on day one of the Pandemic like the Tories were trying! Now a huge section of the population is double jabbed, we're moving towards that.

Plus burnout is a thing. You can only worry about a thing for so long without going insane.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

<whinge>
5 hours of meetings today and they're all on wretched Teams.
It's TERRIBLE compared to zoom.
It's taken me nearly half an hour for the wretched thing to open and it's hogging all my memory making my laptop keep freezing.
Last time I used it it was just as bad, hence why I opened the app nearly an hour before the first meeting starts at 10.

:smith: :respek: :smith:

My corporate HP craptop completely fails to handle the >1GB of RAM that Teams eats up just idling. I'm usually also juggling ~20 XLSX, 10 docs, a few slide decks and multiple browsers just to do the basic functions of my job, plus powering 2 external screens. So any time I try to join a Teams call my other monitors hang and I need to restart my USB hub :argh:

IT dept response to my detailed request for a 16GB laptop: "no. fuk u. delete this number"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1446013233215774723?s=19

Lmao

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So, what's happening with covid these days? Cases are still really high, but no-one around me seems to be acknowledging its existence anymore.

1 in 20 secondary school kids currently has covid.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/George_T_Truth/status/1446042034503135234

https://twitter.com/dadthebikeracer/status/1446026205317189633

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Dude deleted his tweet, probably after a few phonecalls from people telling him to keep kayfabe, so I'll post it again. It probably belongs in the OP and to be posted any time someone tries to defend the BBC.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

blunt posted:

See this is where I'm torn. Hospitalisations and deaths post-vaccination are way down, but it's still ridiculously transmittable, and it seems foolish to just let it spread when we could be doing a lot more to prevent it. But then I guess the same could be said of the flu, which is why I'm actually getting a flu vaccine this year when previously I never have.

Pfizer at least has pretty much completed their vaccine for children, at which point, yeah, we're going to have fully switched from pandemic to endemic. Assuming they haven't all just caught the loving thing first.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Quoting myself from theGBS Covid thread:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Something interesting is happening - or not happening - on the Septic Isle.

UK new case rates have stayed fairly constant after a spike around "Freedom Day" (sigh) apart from a spike after the schools went back at the beginning of September:

Now I, and most other people paying attention to the way Johnson and his band of merry fuckwits have been doing things, assumed this was because cases were being under-reported, and pointed at a slow but relentless rise in hospitalisations and deaths as evidence that this was the case, but in fact hospital admissions have been tailing off for the last three weeks:

and now deaths are starting to follow suit:

This is despite there being basically no restrictions at all in England and Wales any more (and no fucker's wearing a mask on public transport in London even though it's supposed to be a legal requirement) and very few restrictions left in Scotland, but now with 90% of the over-18 population with at least one jab, and boosters now starting to roll out to vulnerable populations.

We've hit so many false dawns before but if this trend continues now we're well and truly into autumn we might just be able to start talking about herd immunity without being absolute loving monsters (I mean we still will be, just not for that particular reason).

(Of course one alternative explanation is that the rolling shortages of poo poo - petrol at the moment - caused by Brexit mean that people are being effectively forced into social distancing because there's nothing in the shops and now people can't even get to them)

Since writing that I've caught what I'm 99% sure is just a cold (LFTs coming up negative, and really it's just a bit of a blocked nose) but it's got me worried because I thought I was still being careful enough with masking and distancing but if a cold got through covid *definitely* would have.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If cases aren't leading to deaths or hospitalisations (which they aren't) why do they matter? or at least matter enough to worry about personally.

edit: Roughly 1500 people die everyday in the UK as standard. Current covid deaths are around 100 a day, and there's probably some overlap on the people dying. As long as that isn't exploding upwards expedentially, that's not a huge problem.

There has been a huge rise in cases among children because of schools. There is currently also a rise among 30-somethings, ie the parents of those children. Cases aren't currently rising in older age groups, which is why deaths aren't rising significantly (though they're running 50% higher than you suggest according to Tim Spector). But the rise in child cases makes it more likely they will eventually spread to their grandparents and great-grandparents.

I'd also point out that anecdotal stories about how many people are taking precautions are inevitably going to be underestimates, possibly huge ones. You're not likely to see me going out in a mask because you're not likely to see me going out.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gaming/Streaming related:

gently caress Twitch, spent forty minutes trying to change my password (they had a data breach) but the damned thing wouldn't go through, so i just deleted my account with them.

As they are linked with Amazon i also updated my password with them (which worked).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

blunt posted:

On the UK covid stats site you can see a heatmap for infections by age. There's a high rate for the 10-16 cohort and then for those in there 40s which I guessis the parents of that group.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

On the UK covid stats site you can see a heatmap for infections by age. There's a high rate for the 10-16 cohort and then for those in there 40s which I guessis the parents of that group.

Yes, both the two women I work with are in their early 40s with teenage kids.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

Gaming/Streaming related:

gently caress Twitch, spent forty minutes trying to change my password (they had a data breach) but the damned thing wouldn't go through, so i just deleted my account with them.

As they are linked with Amazon i also updated my password with them (which worked).

It's Twitch that was hacked. Even if you have Prime and linked your account you should be OK as long as you had different passwords for each site. I'd still keep an eye on it, though. The more important thing is to add 2FA to PayPal and disable auto-accepts from Twitch if you ever used it to buy bits or subscriptions.

Changing a Twitch password is poo poo, though. They've gone full idiot and now an 18-character password with lower case, upper case, symbol and number is considered weak and won't be accepted. Obligatory XKCD comic here.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lib Dem resurgence is real, no bump for Labour after Starmer Police.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1446034709629243405

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Quoting myself from theGBS Covid thread:

Since writing that I've caught what I'm 99% sure is just a cold (LFTs coming up negative, and really it's just a bit of a blocked nose) but it's got me worried because I thought I was still being careful enough with masking and distancing but if a cold got through covid *definitely* would have.

That's good to know, thanks. I never browse the forums, so that's yet another covid thread I've now stumbled across.

I was always planning to wait until after my second jab + two week wait (so end of August for me) before looking into going anywhere. I'm still taking the view right now that I should act like I have covid, as the advice went, so masking up where needed, leaving time between social events and taking tests, basically just not being a total dickhead and going "time to not take any precautions whatsoever I guess!" :shrug:

But the one thing the UK did right was getting a really strong start on the vaccine rollout, so if it's having the intended effect despite the Tories' insatiable lust to keep the pandemic rolling through the schools then that definitely makes it easier to start working on semi-regular socialising again.

Note that I have trouble socialising per say, I actually really enjoy it. But it can often take me a bit of a run-up to get into the right mindset for it, and 18-odd months requires one hell of a run-up.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Honestly I feel like one of the big takeaways from covid has been how much it has forced relatively privileged people in the west to acknowledge their own mortality, and scrambled their brains in the process.

Like, I get it, covid is scary. It can be a real bitch and yeah, it can kill you especially if you're old or otherwise vulnerable. But lockdown was always a public health measure designed to stop hospitals being overwhelmed. There was (is?) a lot of virus going around, and lots of people were always going to get sick as a result, but only a tiny minority died - numbers not really altogether worse than from other causes. It's poo poo but people die. But yeah, lockdown was necessary to stop the hospitals being overwhelmed, and I do understand the anxiety of the whole thing - I certainly felt it.

Anyway, what I'm getting to is that now we have a solid vaccine rollout and everyone who wants one has been offered one, but I know so many people who are still losing their minds about getting on buses or whatever. I genuinely don't get it! You've had a vaccine that reduces covid's likelihood of killing you from 'very unlikely' to 'almost zero'. And yet you're still refusing to leave the house you're so terrified of catching it? And you're getting mad at other people trying to get back to a semblance of normality? I just... if you've had the vaccine what more can you do? You're basically fine. It turns covid into a potentially unpleasant but basically harmless cold. I fundamentally do not understand why anyone is remotely worried anymore. Yes, it might still kill you if you're very unlucky. You can also just die from a thousand other things on a daily basis. You might get cancer or fall over or crash a car or whatever. But for some reason you obsess over covid and covid alone, and insist on this quasi-wartime attitude of stoic self-denial and permanent isolation until what, we have 0 cases globally, as if that's even possible. And all that for something that, assuming you're vaccinated, is less of a threat than slipping in the shower?

Idk, this just feels like a lot of people learning for the first time that you can just... die, and being completely unable to process the reality of that. Covid was what prompted that thought process, so covid will always be this terrifying existential thread. Maybe this attitude stems from the influence of a neoliberal ideology that holds the only important decision as one that directly affects you, the individual. They cannot recognise public health measures for the collective policies they are, and instead insist on perceiving them as there to protect them personally from this big bad evil, which persists now even as its actual threat dwindles.

I'm thinking out loud here I guess but it's interesting. Since having the vaccine I stopped giving a single poo poo about covid despite being technically considered vulnerable, and it's wild to me that there are people who still refuse to go to public spaces after nearly two years despite being at essentially no additional risk than they otherwise would be.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 7, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

There has been a huge rise in cases among children because of schools. There is currently also a rise among 30-somethings, ie the parents of those children. Cases aren't currently rising in older age groups, which is why deaths aren't rising significantly (though they're running 50% higher than you suggest according to Tim Spector). But the rise in child cases makes it more likely they will eventually spread to their grandparents and great-grandparents.

I'd also point out that anecdotal stories about how many people are taking precautions are inevitably going to be underestimates, possibly huge ones. You're not likely to see me going out in a mask because you're not likely to see me going out.

Sure, but what is the harm - or the avoidable harm? The doctors that make up the vaccination committee have looked at the evidence and said that the harm of covid to under 12s is so little that the very small risks of vaccination are greater. I'm pretty sure that any September or October, 1 in 20 of kids also have the flu which can spread to grandparents via the same sources. Vaccinations are consistently keeping the risk down even in older age groups, even if their remains a risk.

What should be being done differently? We're 18 months in - what do you suggest that isn't just putting off problems for another year?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
is the tory conference over yet? I work in a Manchester city centre pub and these last two evenings have been toff hell on earth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't say my reticence about "going back to normal" is really motivated by the probability of myself getting sick, although I certainly object to being told to put myself at risk for poo poo pay and just because a bunch of loving noncing toffs want to have horse racing or whatever the gently caress. But broadly all the measures are for the benefit of other people, yes I've had both vaccines and I'm not that old so it's unlikely to effect me, but that also means I could conceivably go about infecting a load of other people and not know about it. And isolation/masks/basic hygiene isn't really very difficult.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

britishbornandbread posted:

is the tory conference over yet? I work in a Manchester city centre pub and these last two evenings have been toff hell on earth.

Yes like flying ant day it is over for another year, and all the Tories who were going to gently caress have now done so. Once again it is safe to go outside citizen.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Sure, but what is the harm - or the avoidable harm? The doctors that make up the vaccination committee have looked at the evidence and said that the harm of covid to under 12s is so little that the very small risks of vaccination are greater. I'm pretty sure that any September or October, 1 in 20 of kids also have the flu which can spread to grandparents via the same sources. Vaccinations are consistently keeping the risk down even in older age groups, even if their remains a risk.

What should be being done differently? We're 18 months in - what do you suggest that isn't just putting off problems for another year?

The harm is that at least one in seven kids with covid still have symptoms 4 months after infection and we still don't have any ideas about the long term neurological consequences of a covid infection, though there is preliminary data that suggests covid infections can have a lasting affect on a person's cognition

Like at a bare minimum the kids in school should be wearing decent masks and the rules around who has to isolate shouldn't have been relaxed.

blunt fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 7, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Honestly I feel like one of the big takeaways from covid has been how much it has forced relatively privileged people in the west to acknowledge their own mortality, and scrambled their brains in the process.

Like, I get it, covid is scary. It can be a real bitch and yeah, it can kill you especially if you're old or otherwise vulnerable. But lockdown was always a public health measure designed to stop hospitals being overwhelmed. There was (is?) a lot of virus going around, and lots of people were always going to get sick as a result, but only a tiny minority died - numbers not really altogether worse than from other causes. It's poo poo but people die. But yeah, lockdown was necessary to stop the hospitals being overwhelmed, and I do understand the anxiety of the whole thing - I certainly felt it.

Anyway, what I'm getting to is that now we have a solid vaccine rollout and everyone who wants one has been offered one, but I know so many people who are still losing their minds about getting on buses or whatever. I genuinely don't get it! You've had a vaccine that reduces covid's likelihood of killing you from 'very unlikely' to 'almost zero'. And yet you're still refusing to leave the house you're so terrified of catching it? And you're getting mad at other people trying to get back to a semblance of normality? I just... if you've had the vaccine what more can you do? You're basically fine. It turns covid into a potentially unpleasant but basically harmless cold. I fundamentally do not understand why anyone is remotely worried anymore. Yes, it might still kill you if you're very unlucky. You can also just die from a thousand other things on a daily basis. You might get cancer or fall over or crash a car or whatever. But for some reason you obsess over covid and covid alone, and insist on this quasi-wartime attitude of stoic self-denial and permanent isolation until what, we have 0 cases globally, as if that's even possible. And all that for something that, assuming you're vaccinated, is less of a threat than slipping in the shower?

Idk, this just feels like a lot of people learning for the first time that you can just... die, and being completely unable to process the reality of that. Covid was what prompted that thought process, so covid will always be this terrifying existential thread. Maybe this attitude stems from the influence of a neoliberal ideology that holds the only important decision as one that directly affects you, the individual. They cannot recognise public health measures for the collective policies they are, and instead insist on perceiving them as there to protect them personally from this big bad evil, which persists now even as its actual threat dwindles.

I'm thinking out loud here I guess but it's interesting. Since having the vaccine I stopped giving a single poo poo about covid despite being technically considered vulnerable, and it's wild to me that there are people who still refuse to go to public spaces after nearly two years despite being at essentially no additional risk than they otherwise would be.

I don't think it's entirely irrational, bring fully vaxxed roughly halves your chances of getting long covid but for a healthy youngish adult that's roughly still about a 1 in 20 chance of getting long term organ damage, that's not really something you've ever really had to worry about with a regular cold or regular season flu. I've still made myself go out and do regular people things again but I'd be lying if I said that wasn't in the back of my mind when I'm in a crowded indoors setting

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

bunch of loving noncing toffs want to have horse racing or whatever the gently caress.
Read this as a bunch of loving toffs want to have nonce racing but I'm sure that's a thing too

keep punching joe posted:

Yes like flying ant day it is over for another year, and all the Tories who were going to gently caress have now done so. Once again it is safe to go outside citizen.
They put all the gay tories in Section 28

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1446049937029058564?s=19

Wagons are circled

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

People are not rational actors, I’m absolutely not surprised that after the first few months of the pandemic where little was known about transmissibility of COVID and people were terrified of even leaving the house some are unable to just leave that behind. Knowing on an intellectual level how much safer it is now isn’t enough for everyone

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

I can't say my reticence about "going back to normal" is really motivated by the probability of myself getting sick, although I certainly object to being told to put myself at risk for poo poo pay and just because a bunch of loving noncing toffs want to have horse racing or whatever the gently caress. But broadly all the measures are for the benefit of other people, yes I've had both vaccines and I'm not that old so it's unlikely to effect me, but that also means I could conceivably go about infecting a load of other people and not know about it. And isolation/masks/basic hygiene isn't really very difficult.

Oh yeah but that's a different issue and one that persists outside of pandemic times. Employers will never give a poo poo about your wellbeing. ButI know people who are losing their mind for purely personal safety reasons. I see then pointing at a crowded tube train and making a face as if it matters? Who cares! You're vaccinated! Your chance of dying of covid is probably less than winning the lottery!

On infecting other people, the way I see it now is everyone who wanted a vaccine has had one. If you refused and get sick I'm sorry but that's kinda on you. I don't mind keeping masks and whatever for shops I guess because it's nbd, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend another winter in the flat staring forlornly into the darkness.

I was down in England last weekend and while up here in Scotland a good number of people seem to still wear masks etc basically no one did down there. I gave up on the idea very quickly because gently caress it, I'm doing it for the benefit of others not myself and if everyone else is telling me they couldn't give a poo poo about showing me any consideration I'll return the sentiment. I did put one on where even a few other people had out of politeness to them, but that happened surprisingly rarely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Lib Dem resurgence is real, no bump for Labour after Starmer Police.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1446034709629243405

Vindication for hero clegg