Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
They could just sell DLC packs of a new season with updated information for $20 to $30. Maybe tweak the underlying engine and have some bug fixes but otherwise don't spend resources developing on new features.

Have major new features come out every 2 to 3 years instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Or they could just ship whatever they happen to have at the moment every November for the full $60 and sell eleventy billion copies

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

JustJeff88 posted:

I honestly think that, in yearly sport franchises, people have to make changes for the sake of change in order to thinly justify people buying essentially the same sodding thing. That's true a lot of places, both in the games industry and just in general, but nowhere is it more blatant than in yearly sport franchises.

To that end the Libero will find its way back in the game under some other name in 2024 I reckon... but yeah a lot of the data stuff being teased in FM22 is already in the current game but it's not got as flashy of a UI as being teased in 22 and reaching that info involves lotsa clicking but yeah, you're right that the name of the game is repackaging things and making it seem improved.

I personally buy every FM on sale largely because the graphical updates or match engine stuff so I don't mind it too much. The thing i'm most excited for this year is the new 3d engine because i'm a sicko who occasionally watches a full match (like if i'm playing a CL final I'll get fully immersed) and given the last few games have essentially had the animations tied to the 2d engine the new one should result in a much silkier viewing experience.

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Or they could just ship whatever they happen to have at the moment every November for the full $60 and sell eleventy billion copies

Always buy in February, never pay more than $40.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Boycotting FM until they give me back my liberos

In all seriousness like all of these annual sports games things never improve or change that much over a year, just buy it once every two or three. Especially when FM '21 is pretty decent.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
FM22 is going to be light on new stuff because they've been devoting development resources to women's football.

OoohU posted:

The thing i'm most excited for this year is the new 3d engine because i'm a sicko who occasionally watches a full match (like if i'm playing a CL final I'll get fully immersed) and given the last few games have essentially had the animations tied to the 2d engine the new one should result in a much silkier viewing experience.

That's... what? The 2d has been a clumsy overlay of the 3d for years. There is no "2d engine".

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Fm22 is gonna be on game pass day one this year which is pretty cool, otherwise i'd probably skip it yeah.

It's a bit of a pain in the rear end but it is possible to get mods to work correctly for fm21, which is sort of the one major issue with game pass games. I'm hoping they just have fm22 have the mod compatibility toggle on it so you don't have to jump through any hoops, but I guess we'll see.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sassassin posted:

FM22 is going to be light on new stuff because they've been devoting development resources to women's football.

Jiggle physics is serious business

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

will women’s and men’s football run in the same universe, ie can you move from a job at a women’s team to a men’s team and vice versa in the same career?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

jesus WEP posted:

will women’s and men’s football run in the same universe, ie can you move from a job at a women’s team to a men’s team and vice versa in the same career?

Looks like it:
https://www.footballmanager.com/news/how-were-introducing-womens-football-football-manager#desktop

quote:

What we are doing is adding women’s football to FM... one sport, one game. FM players will be able to move seamlessly from managing a men’s team to a women’s team and back again. Women’s football will be a part of the living, breathing world that constitutes every one of your FM saves; that world will just be whole lot bigger and a little more varied.

Only scanned the article beyond that, but I would guess it's an option to select in add/remove leagues.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

oh gently caress yeah - i'm doing the double pentagon challenge

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Unfortunately seems like women's football won't be in FM22, at least on release. Still a long way to go.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

sassassin posted:

That's... what? The 2d has been a clumsy overlay of the 3d for years. There is no "2d engine".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrb6oAEh2VE

They go into it here in the match engine portion of the video, that the previous engine animation was a 2d disc that restricted players to moving within that disc (same one that you see in the 2d overlay) and that lead to the foot sliding animation and what not that wasn't realistic... which is now gone and liberated for a new engine that allows actual touches and dribbles that should in theory look realer.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I shouldn't say anything.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 8, 2021

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i'm just going to stick with my FM21 save which in 2035 has definitely entered bizarro timeline. i am managing liverpool - agnelli is the chairman and pep works for me as a scout. a left-footed welshman called "nyran giggs" has come through manchester united's youth academy. the qataris sold psg and they finally won the champions league for the first time the following year with a team made up of like half young loanees from chelsea and man city

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm definitely ready for a new FM because I spent over an hour today making (incredibly basic, manufacturer template design) 2d & 3d kits for a tinpot club that won't be licensed.

Your save doesn't count unless you make a new shirt for each season, and act out failed negotiations with Adidas before resorting to Hummel.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Does this make the San Marino challenge more possible?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Most of the new stuff this year is either irritating or so minor that the way they've dressed it up in features videos is embarrassing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LionYeti posted:

Does this make the San Marino challenge more possible?

It'll certainly make any nation building save better

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

godfuckingDAMNIT i was going to skip this year

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I genuinely thought they'd announced that as a feature years ago

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bogan Krkic posted:

I genuinely thought they'd announced that as a feature years ago

they brought in dynamic league reputation a few years ago with a similar sort of fanfare

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Julio Cruz posted:

they brought in dynamic league reputation a few years ago with a similar sort of fanfare

Yeah that's what I'm thinking of. I guess I must have assumed that it worked for nations too

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If they want to add a game changing feature for long term saves they could try fixing the horrible save file bloat that makes playing past about 2035 extremely painful and past about 2055 functionally impossible.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sassassin posted:

Most of the new stuff this year is either irritating or so minor that the way they've dressed it up in features videos is embarrassing.

The new engine seems pretty promising

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mans posted:

The new engine seems pretty promising

It feels like a smaller leap forward than FM21. I'm not sure what they've covered in the streams but for me the new ball physics on blocks and deflections are the only match engine feature I'd find it hard to go back from.

Tactically I think it's way more exploitable than FM21 was on release. But FM21 was remarkably polished even in the earliest beta versions, so maybe I'm being unfair.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I wonder if it's even possible for FM to make proper use of multiple cores in a CPU. When I upgraded from an old 4 core to a fast hyper-threaded 6 core I was expected a big boost in processing speed, but nope.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My guess would be no way in hell, it's built on code that was written when dual cores were cutting edge.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
I normally wait a few years between releases of OOTP or FM. Last one I have is FM20, do you guys reckon the new one will have anything worth making the leap for? Or should I give them another year?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TitusGroen posted:

I normally wait a few years between releases of OOTP or FM. Last one I have is FM20, do you guys reckon the new one will have anything worth making the leap for? Or should I give them another year?

FM20 was dogshit. Upgrade asap.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Another minor qol feature for journeyman saves

Azhais fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 18, 2021

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

sassassin posted:

FM20 was dogshit. Upgrade asap.

Oh drat, really? Will do!

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

TitusGroen posted:

Ya fm20 was one of the worst in recent memory, if not the worst.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

TitusGroen posted:

I was going to say, if you're not massively bothered about having the most up to date one, 21 might be cheaper and will have had the bugs worked out more than the brand new one. However, I've just checked Steam and it's €5 more than the new one. Not sure if that will drop once 22 is released, but it's probably to stop people doing just what I'm suggesting.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
If you have MS Game Pass, it's a day one release isn't it?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Ragingsheep posted:

If you have MS Game Pass, it's a day one release isn't it?

correct. there's also a somewhat weird/annoying but completely doable way to get it to a fully modable state too, although i'm HOPING they'll finally add FM to the list of games with game pass mod support so that won't be necessary.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

Mickolution posted:

I was going to say, if you're not massively bothered about having the most up to date one, 21 might be cheaper and will have had the bugs worked out more than the brand new one. However, I've just checked Steam and it's €5 more than the new one. Not sure if that will drop once 22 is released, but it's probably to stop people doing just what I'm suggesting.

Might as well grab the latest. It'll get the most updates and support, anyways. Thanks!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The open beta must be really close if some streamers are playing a version actually titled "Football Manager" in Steam. The real alphas/testing versions use different names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

sassassin posted:

The open beta must be really close if some streamers are playing a version actually titled "Football Manager" in Steam. The real alphas/testing versions use different names.

Yeah a bunch of FM content creators dropped FM22 Alpha videos this morning.