Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Captain Invictus posted:

When/where did the "ralsei is a stoner" thing start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZJkOFIdt2g

God knows how long ago someone took some stock art of Mario from Mario 64 and edited a doobie into the pic. Then someone traced over that pic to be Ralsei for a shitpost (not sure when, might've been shortly after chapter 2, but might've actually been sometime during the gap between chapters and it merely exploded in popularity after chapter 2 dropped)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
There was one I can't remember if it was a youtube or tweet where Ralsei tells Kris to watch him hit "this fat dank blunt" and immediately Ralsie starts hacking cough, falls to his hands and knees and finally splats to the ground.

Here's this other one instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n57D5XJQWvI

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Ralsei's sprite when he's just splooted out on the ground never fails to send my sides into orbit

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Classy Hydra posted:

Yeah I can't get behind this one, I don't see any evidence Kris is possessed by two people and doing weird things with knives is completely within their weird kid aesthetic. People have brought up the shambling walk thing but tbh they seem pretty acrobatic if melodramatic during the bathroom scene. Even go out of their way to wash their hands, not a detail I'd imagine an invader would care about.

Plus it just seems like overkill as a theory. Gaster can be involved in the plot without literally possessing Kris.

I like the idea that Kris is double-possessed, or at least possessed by something other than the player, because I really really really hate the idea that the mere act of playing the game in the way it is meant to be played means we're committing grievous act of violence against Kris and their autonomy. That is some Spec Ops: The Line bullshit, and I am not here for it. I have a hard time believing that Toby Fox would be that mean-spirited in their writing.

I choose to believe that, route dependent, the player can be an entity that is helping Kris, not seizing control of them or forcing them to be a puppet. Thankfully, I think there's enough wiggle room in the material to support that reading.

They've been violently tearing their SOUL out for a long time now. Months, if not years. The player only showed up a day and a half ago.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Valcione posted:

I like the idea that Kris is double-possessed, or at least possessed by something other than the player, because I really really really hate the idea that the mere act of playing the game in the way it is meant to be played means we're committing grievous act of violence against Kris and their autonomy. That is some Spec Ops: The Line bullshit, and I am not here for it. I have a hard time believing that Toby Fox would be that mean-spirited in their writing.

I choose to believe that, route dependent, the player can be an entity that is helping Kris, not seizing control of them or forcing them to be a puppet. Thankfully, I think there's enough wiggle room in the material to support that reading.

They've been violently tearing their SOUL out for a long time now. Months, if not years. The player only showed up a day and a half ago.

This bit I emphasized is why it’s not really Spec Ops poo poo. If Kris has been doing this for so long Toriel shrugs off the hour-long bathroom trip while a friend is over for the first time, why would we be the first player/entity to be in this position? And given how Kris seems to feel, our predecessors may not have been as kind as you plan to be. In fact, given how powerful SOULs can be and how bad the consequences of screwing around in the Dark World can be, I think it’s entirely possible they’ve hosed up quite a lot!

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

rko posted:

This bit I emphasized is why it’s not really Spec Ops poo poo. If Kris has been doing this for so long Toriel shrugs off the hour-long bathroom trip while a friend is over for the first time, why would we be the first player/entity to be in this position? And given how Kris seems to feel, our predecessors may not have been as kind as you plan to be. In fact, given how powerful SOULs can be and how bad the consequences of screwing around in the Dark World can be, I think it’s entirely possible they’ve hosed up quite a lot!

I don't want to be just the latest in a long string of abusers either!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kris and me will be tight by the end of the game. I can feel it.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

i feel like the track is just one chord change away from being able to turn into cruel angel's thesis and it's making me really want to hear a deltarune/evangelion mashup

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cephas posted:

i feel like the track is just one chord change away from being able to turn into cruel angel's thesis and it's making me really want to hear a deltarune/evangelion mashup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEjAuu1AMFg

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
:hr: thank you

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

My read on The Kris Situation at least on the normal route which is maybe not super supported by facts but happens to vibe with me is that Kris wants to have the soul in them and that the player is helping Kris achieve their goal of having positive interactions with people, but for whatever reason the soul has to be removed eventually, and in those periods Kris is susceptible to self-sabotaging thought patterns, which idk we could call a demon or something.

Mainly because the thing of coming home after having a actually rather nice day and then approaching a mental breakdown in the evening is exactly me as my daily dose of extended-release meds fades out.

There's some handwaving required to make that fit with all the dialog options but I have misread worse games more drastically, so it's probably okay, and makes me feel a bit better about playing the game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No, I think that largely tracks. Mainly because I think Toby Fox isn't going to force us to play the role of villain, and Kris is obviously a character who has some degree of individuality and agency. Unless I'm wrong on one of those counts, whatever is going on has to account for those factors, and what we're doing needs to help (or at least not harm) Kris in the end. The story may get more complex, but I'm pretty sure your idea is actually the simplest explanation of Kris' situation.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kris’ biggest freak out specifically comes after Spamton, a fight all about the terrifying nature of being a puppet for someone else no matter how powerful you are. Kris can be generally okay with the SOUL situation but freak out specifically due to Spamton reminding Kris that the situation has the potential to go very wrong.

Kris is used to removing their SOUL and certainly seems okay when you make choices that agree with Kris’ own preferences. They make disagreements known but the fact they can remove their SOUL means to an extent they accept and want your control until they don’t.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My thoughts on Deltarune are that despite all this weird meta poo poo and the mysterious and magical Dark World, the actual big narrative hooks and real drama are going to be the mundane real world stuff.

So I think Kris's whole situation with the Soul is probably going to be closley tied to being a weird lonely kid who has divorced parents and really misses their brother, and not like being controlled by Bunker ghosts or just being possessed because meta commentary on silent jrpg protagonists. In that regard, I like the theory of "Kris is down for the possession in order to not have to deal with their life (but is still kinda freaked out by the whole scenario)" because it ties the Soul thing into normal-rear end life poo poo and also rolls in those themes of escapism that have come up in the first 2 chapters.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
https://twitter.com/DunceJoy/status/1445414568721887235?s=19
be aware

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
As of Chapter 2 I think basically any Kris-Soul theory has to reckon with the fact the possession is very obviously intentional on Kris' part.

Not only have they demonstrated the ability to remove the soul at will, but they've also shown them deliberately put it back, with no obvious physical reason why that's necessary --they're not turning to dust or anything. Clearly, this isn't a "demonic possession" scenario; for some reason or another, Kris wants us around and in control. They also want the ability to restrain us against our will occasionally, hence the cage and such. Occasionally Kris suggests displeasure with stuff we're doing (usually playing the piano), but I think that's less indignation over being controlled than mild irritation over how much we suck.

There's arguments about what that means on a thematic level (I think you can definitely make some guesses at this point, but I think a full analysis of Kris is still out of scope), but I think it's definitely clear enough that readings like "we're actually the evil ghost possessing an innocent kid oogity boogity" can be crossed off. Except in weird route. I guess that's still accurate for weird route.

If anything, the obvious analogy is to escapism, like Chapter 2 basically drilled into our heads. Kris quite literally becomes a different person, who can do things that they can't, make friends with everyone around them, and be the big badass anime hero, with nobody any the wiser than anything's changed. The Kris we always hear about is someone particularly inept at making connections with people around them, increasingly isolated from their adopted family, estranged from the community, looking for magical solutions to their problems-- it follows why they'd want someone else to just take over for a bit, to be them.

And, equally, it also probably stings to know that person isn't them. Not really.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It will all be cleared up once we get plugged into the machine we will find near the end of chapter four that let's Kris and the player directly talk to each other.

Source: Gaster called me on the phone and told me.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Valcione posted:

I don't want to be just the latest in a long string of abusers either!

I am like 500% sure Toby Fox isn’t making a game where you can only hurt these incredibly lovable imaginary friends he made up, but I also feel like Ralsei and Kris wouldn’t be so keen to show you this fun adventure if they didn’t know something that might change our minds. I’m also pretty sure there’s a reason Kris can’t stop doing this other than “players mostly wanna kill stuff” or something.

There really aren’t a lot of stories, much less games, that do anything really interesting by making their heroes oppose the audience/player—it’s usually pretty one-note, when they choose to do it. That’s The Twist: You’re The Baddie. I think Toby Fox is going to do something with more nuance and flavor than that, which is why I hope there’s no Second Knight/Second Possessor. It could be very cool.

Whatever the truth is though I’m highly invested in making sure all of these small imaginary friends, who are now also my friends, get to a proper happy ending, with the dankest possible joints for all.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There is another obvious route, that Kris is the villain and we will have to stop them. That’s not more interesting than the player being the villain, so I don’t think that’s gonna happen either, but it is an option.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wish Toby Fox had come up with a team name instead of having to say Toby Fox all the time. It's very 'MGSV a Hideo Kojima production'

And that's cool if you're into it but I don't like saying first and last names so much.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
His online handle before he started just going by Toby Fox was “Radiation.” You can probably call him that if you prefer, I doubt he’d mind.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

RareAcumen posted:

I wish Toby Fox had come up with a team name instead of having to say Toby Fox all the time. It's very 'MGSV a Hideo Kojima production'

And that's cool if you're into it but I don't like saying first and last names so much.

Fun Gang.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Annoying Dog Productions

The (Dark) gently caress Squad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Given all the hints with the existing save file and creating at least one Dark Fountain, I think Kris is at the very least clearly up to something, the details of which we are not currently privy to. It does seem implied that Kris intends to some degree to have a symbiotic relationship with the SOUL, but actively rebels when it (you) do things that Kris does not want to do, with varying degrees of success. And on the other hand, removes the SOUL when Kris wants to do things that they don't think you would be willing or able to do, or acting on knowledge that the player doesn't have.

The zombie-like movements and questionable actions seem almost played up for the camera as it were, but, from painful experience, gives me a vibe that Kris is badly depressed to the point of barely functional and seems content to let the player pilot them around as long as they're not doing anything too heinous or against their character. The ending of Chapter 1 is just Kris being loving hungry from the day's adventure.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/Vlurr143/status/1445822937534111746

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Ralsei would never smoke weed. That model is not canon-compliant.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If anyone is smoking weed it's Noelle

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Macaluso posted:

If anyone is smoking weed it's Noelle

getting hosed up off of those holly leaves

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ralsei’s more of a baker and noelle’s got enough “mistletoe” to kick god’s rear end and the devil’s too

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Kris would like to do a weed, but Toriel says this is god's house and they vape in here.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Sans does meth. But not so much he loses teeth.

Edit: asgore absolutely takes prescription meds "for his back"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This popped up in my recommendations, it's pretty cool, I've seen some other videos in the past of musicians unfamiliar with undertale's soundtrack listen/play along/whatever, and it's neat to see them break various tracks down. Anyone got any more like this one? There's gotta be tons of them by this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVZ4KMswee4&hd=1

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ralsei is definitely not cool enough to drugs, but would absolutely cave if Kris or Susie applied even the slightest of peer pressure.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"But Kris drugs are illegal."

"Proceed"

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

Weed is legal in the dark world. The piles of dust at the start of chapter one are actually big piles of ash.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

"But Kris drugs are illegal."

"Proceed"

notably this is how you progress into LV. 3 Dank Prince

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Captain Invictus posted:

This popped up in my recommendations, it's pretty cool, I've seen some other videos in the past of musicians unfamiliar with undertale's soundtrack listen/play along/whatever, and it's neat to see them break various tracks down. Anyone got any more like this one? There's gotta be tons of them by this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVZ4KMswee4&hd=1

Ideally someone who actually has something to say about it instead of playing along a bit and going "this is good". I know the music is good, thanks. Tell me something about it instead of just speculating about what key it's in.

With all the drug talk I'm now imagining Kris bringing a bong to the dark world and then being dismayed that the bong is now alive and not interested in being filled with smoke.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/kfov_851/status/1445965809344466947

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Finally working on Spamton Neo, and the time has finally come that I have reason to regret using Power of "NEO" as my ringtone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Brandfarlig posted:

Ideally someone who actually has something to say about it instead of playing along a bit and going "this is good". I know the music is good, thanks. Tell me something about it instead of just speculating about what key it's in.

Maybe read this and its part 2 if you haven't yet? https://jasonyu.me/undertale-part-1/