Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i like backtracking when it’s to find new areas and secrets but the busywork of running back and forth to access important shops and utilities is one of the few things that really dragged down the game for me.

also games that aren’t made by from software should be required to write an essay addressed to me personally explaining the reason for their decision to include corpse runs on a mechanical and thematic level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

please shut up about hollow knight it is METROID EVE and everyone must celebrate

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Johnny Joestar posted:

please shut up about hollow knight it is METROID EVE and everyone must celebrate

no, tomorrow is Metroid eve, sadly

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it will be as long as i want it to be, for it is nigh

Hat-lock
Jan 5, 2007
10 hours for a Metroid game might even be slightly too long. I think it's interesting that some of the greatest games with the most wide ranging appeal (stuff like Doom, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger) all have playtimes that are below or far below the average for their genre. Why do people demand 30-60 hour games? It's insane.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Hat-lock posted:

10 hours for a Metroid game might even be slightly too long. I think it's interesting that some of the greatest games with the most wide ranging appeal (stuff like Doom, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger) all have playtimes that are below or far below the average for their genre. Why do people demand 30-60 hour games? It's insane.

they want games to provide for them eternally and get mad when something doesn't provide them with a thing to do for 100 hours at the end

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Hat-lock posted:

I feel like it's worth noting every game you listed there was also designed for a lot of replay-ability in mind. Which is something I feel like not many people care about these days (both gamers and devs), and that's real loving odd.

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
so so relieved that people are enjoying dread. I've been waiting so long for a metroid-like that I actually like, castlevanias are good but really not the same vibe, I thought axiom verge sucked rear end and hollow knight bored me to tears. I still can't believe we're getting a new 2D metroid and it's coming in like 2 days

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Hat-lock posted:

The Switch thread was arguing about Dread being a full-price game upon its reveal. One of the (many) contentious points brought up was its likely short length, seems like a good number of gamers equate value with how much time they get out of the game.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hat-lock posted:

I don't understand people's frustrations with games being "too long" at all. If the game is good enough to hold my attention so aptly, make it 100 hours long for all I care. Are people held prisoners by the games they play or something?

If it's not good, i'm probably not going to stick it through to the end. There is an essentially insurmountable backlog of great games to be played.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Long-Time Lurker posted:

The Switch thread was arguing about Dread being a full-price game upon its reveal. One of the (many) contentious points brought up was its likely short length, seems like a good number of gamers equate value with how much time they get out of the game.

playtime is an incredibly stupid metric for a game people are likely to replay

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Game length discourse was all over the place when RE8 came out too, and it was just as stupid then. These games have always been pretty short, and designed for multiple playthroughs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it was popular to say games were "too long" for a bit too, generally i think the "too long" feeling is less about length and more about bad pacing or structure. Alien Isolation wasn't that long but felt like it took forever because the game blew past its natural ending point and just kept going

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

In a short while: a new Metroid is out. For once a new Metroid is out!!!!

You, an intellectual: well you see, the thing about game length is…

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Augus posted:

also games that aren’t made by from software should be required to write an essay addressed to me personally explaining the reason for their decision to include corpse runs on a mechanical and thematic level

Corpse runs are one of the main reasons I bounced off The Surge and the sequel.

Here, have a timed corpse run, if time runs out your bloodstain vanishes. You can extend the timer by killing things, but that increases your odds of loving up while in a hurry and losing your bloodstain anyways.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

BisbyWorl posted:

Corpse runs are one of the main reasons I bounced off The Surge and the sequel.

Here, have a timed corpse run, if time runs out your bloodstain vanishes. You can extend the timer by killing things, but that increases your odds of loving up while in a hurry and losing your bloodstain anyways.

That sounds like a cool risk reward sort of thing though.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Hat-lock posted:

10 hours for a Metroid game might even be slightly too long.
10 hours for a *first playthrough* of metroid game is honestly pretty reasonable, depending on how much item collection or dinking around you're doing

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Whew, finally finished that Metroid Fusion playthrough I started in 2002. Hell yeah, bring on the Dread!

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
I think game length doesnt equate to quality at all and, as has been said, much prefer it when games have a good understanding of how long they should be (also found HK too long)

I do get it though. As a relatively poor person (who is nevertheless foolish enough to be into games) Nintendo takes the piss continually with the cost of their games. Its not that i think it should be cheaper because its a short 2D game. But when I spend 60 buckos I tend to resent that if I feel like its over too quick. And as has been argued- now the indie space exists and there are insanely generous and deep experiences to be had for so cheap- it doesnt feel so good to pay AAA prices for last gen re releases or more retro style releases.

That being said I like the evergreen nature of a lot of nintendo games and the ones I dont sell on after playing all feel like games I can imagine coming back to years from now.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

XavierGenisi posted:

10 hours for a *first playthrough* of metroid game is honestly pretty reasonable, depending on how much item collection or dinking around you're doing

My first, blind, pre-internet playthrough of super metroid took me like 13hrs i think. The second play through took around 3:30 game time. Finally I beat it in 1:45 and it felt awesome. Replayability/Sequence breaking is absolutely mandatory for a game to be a "metroid-vania."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

My first, blind, pre-internet playthrough of super metroid took me like 13hrs i think. The second play through took around 3:30 game time. Finally I beat it in 1:45 and it felt awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcppnDs2Rz8

https://i.imgur.com/qRLYW5j.mp4

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 7, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Samus' arm cannon is made of the same material as dryer vent hoses. The more you know.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Ridley's getting his rear end beat

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I beat that loving spider.
And then wiped out on the Core X of the plant boss afterwards. Bleh.
I'm not going to finish Fusion before Dread, but I'll definitely come back to it and finish it, it's pretty great even if it's exposing how long its been since I've played anything remotely challenging.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Lastdancer posted:

Whew, finally finished that Metroid Fusion playthrough I started in 2002. Hell yeah, bring on the Dread!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Dread in 2040

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Mode 7 posted:

I beat that loving spider.
And then wiped out on the Core X of the plant boss afterwards. Bleh.
I'm not going to finish Fusion before Dread, but I'll definitely come back to it and finish it, it's pretty great even if it's exposing how long its been since I've played anything remotely challenging.

You’re really close to the end now, keep on and you can do it!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do think it’s fair to point out I doubt most people are gonna replay dread or any metriod.

At least replay it more than like any other game

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I doubt most people who play it will even finish it (just like almost all games)

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Millions will proudly display the "Played Metroid Dread for a little while" on their switch profile.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Haven't watched any trailers or looked up any info since E3. Excited :)

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Is emulator chat okay in this thread? No links to anything of course. I'm definitely buying the game and I own a Switch, but given that I'm going to be playing it exclusively at home on my TV where I have a gaming PC, it seems pretty tempting to go the emulation route if it runs as well as it supposedly does and at higher render resolutions.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
My copy still hasn't shipped from Amazon and I'm preemptively dealing with the disappointment and irritation that will come when it doesn't actually arrive tomorrow.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Depends how far you are from the distribution center, I've had them ship things the morning of and get them a couple hours later. Can't wait to lick this cart.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My copy of something that may or may not be the Metroid Dead Special Edition that got 'price matched' to $50 is still in Kentucky with an expected delivery of Tuesday.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
How terrible is it trying to buy a game from Walmart when they open at 6am?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Checking my switch periodically in case they gently caress up and release it early.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Shyfted One posted:

How terrible is it trying to buy a game from Walmart when they open at 6am?

This, but for midnight at the 24 hour ones. I'm gonna see if I can get the amiibo set for under $250.

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

Just finished it at seven hours 52% items collected.

My thoughts:

Combat and bosses are solid, though would have liked more full bosses and less miniboss refights

Emmi are really fun though they get sidelined at the end.

Afraid to say exploration in terms of choices is bad with pathing being quite forced. Moreso than fusion even. At no point are there major splits in objectives. There is backtracking but the game seems to love it's surprise one-way transitions and immediately closing the area behind you off as soon as you get a new traversal ability that would have let you explore the zone you just did. Was frequent enough it almost became a running joke; with the winner being what happens after you get the gravity suit. Biggest sticking point for me.

Plot is not good, but not obtrusive. Ending is abrupt.

Would say it's a solid game but on no world is it a 9 or 10 out of 10. More like 7.5, or 8 if you don't mind a linear metroid. High points are the core combat/movement and Emmi encounters. Weak are the obvious ways the game forces you to go where it wants.The little exposition there was was not good; but it didn't effect my enjoyment of the game other than making me snort a few times.

Hope this gives people reasonable expectations.

Saintv77 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/amiiboalerts/status/1446206693243699212?s=21

I was gonna go to a few stores at opening tomorrow to see if I can snag one, maybe I’ll try GameStop first?