Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Honestly, sending anything is a kindness, and if you're really worried about it, talk to the manager and tell 'em you want to pay for lunch or something. Let them pick and send you the bill? (This can be a risky move monetarily, obvs, so be ready for that.)

Also, don't let boomers make you doubt yourself, most people will appreciate having some snacks. Every time someone has ever brought even stuff I'm not really into to a workplace as a token of appreciation, I've appreciated it, and I arguably have more dietary limitations that most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

When I worked on cars for a living anyone who brought anything to eat or drink got "drops mic" pull that in right now how can I help service.

What you listed will be more than fine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ryanrs posted:

I dunno what passes for non-perishable treats in this situation. Maybe I should have sent fresh fruit and a box of la croix?

I was just joking dude. But I've found that beer usually works best lol.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I wish my local tire shop would accept more of my offers for food but they always are turning me down and they hook me up on the regular. So I just randomly drop off a pizza or 2 every once in a while when I don’t need anything.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I tried that with my local bike shop and it turns out most of them don't drink!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Heh, I thought of that but didn't know if the management would be cool with it.

Also, getting up at 4 AM to drive 3 hours to drop off your car is not great.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
4am is both too early and too late.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

ryanrs posted:

Which toggle switch for my Mad Max dash? I will probably buy one of each to test the switch feel, but I am partial to :tallsting:

Tallsting toggle is not great. The stubby one is better.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

StormDrain posted:

4am is both too early and too late.

:hmmyes:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I'm playing with these Simpson analog meters I got on ebay. They're pretty cool and all, but I wonder how much the needles will bounce around when driving? Maybe so much they won't be very useful?

They are mostly sensitive to rotation about the needle axis, and less sensitive to displacement. I probably need to duct tape them to the dash and go on a test drive.

It's easy to go with the Simpson meter for indicating wheel slip, because that's weird and I have to make it from scratch anyway.

I've mentioned I want a tach. And now that I think about it, a battery voltage meter would be nice, too. I have about 5 ways of measuring the van battery voltage already, but having a dash gauge might have saved me some hassle a couple times.

For these normal gauges, I'm starting to think I should just use...aftermarket gauges. In particular, I like the tachometer products that talk about having a stepper motor or air core motor inside, rather than the galvanometer inside my Simpson meters. A motor seems like a better way to drive a needle in a bouncing van.

Please give me your car gauge experiences and info!

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

ryanrs posted:

I've mentioned I want a tach. And now that I think about it, a battery voltage meter would be nice, too. I have about 5 ways of measuring the van battery voltage already, but having a dash gauge might have saved me some hassle a couple times.

For these normal gauges, I'm starting to think I should just use...aftermarket gauges. In particular, I like the tachometer products that talk about having a stepper motor or air core motor inside, rather than the galvanometer inside my Simpson meters. A motor seems like a better way to drive a needle in a bouncing van.

Please give me your car gauge experiences and info!

How savvy is the OBD in these cars? Torque app and the absolute cheapest amazon BT OBD adapter could show realtime (ish) revs in my 03 accord, as well as coolant temp, fuel trims... Because a cheap burner phone with bluetooth could be an excellent digital dash as long as you didn't need it on and working the instant you closed the main power relay.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I want a responsive analog needle for the tach. Digital dashes are only cool on '80s cars, and even then only when they work (so never, lol).

But getting CAN data is a good idea! I have recently picked up a bluetooth OBDII dongle, but haven't played with it much, yet.

I'm also thinking of upgrading my alarm system. Right now it's a blue LED that turns on when the ignition is off. It has worked really well over the years, including scaring away thieves who hit nearly every car on my street.

The problem is that when I'm camping in the van, I have to stick some tape over the blue LED because it's so bright (more photons = more security). So my upgraded alarm system is going to have a switch to disable the LED. Also, the LED is gonna blink!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I think cursedshitbox got into this a bit many pages ago, but there is an issue with the receiver hitch.

The force from the winch will put a huge bending stress on the bumper, so the bumper structure will need to be significantly heavier to withstand those forces. A fixed-mount winch would have a very heavy mounting plate tucked behind the bumper, and tied into the vehicle frame. In my design, the bumper has to provide that structure.

I wonder which option will seem more stupid in retrospect:
1) Taking a 30-50 lbs weight penalty for a winch I'm not even planning to buy right away.
2) Getting a bumper custom fabricated and NOT putting in provisions for a winch.

Complicating factor: with my cool new handbrakes, I should get stuck less often. OTOH, when I do get stuck, I'll probably be more stuck than usual.

If I leave off the receiver hitch, I will still have the 2 D-rings right at the strong bumper/frame joint. So I will have some very convenient attachment points for a very inconvenient manual winch.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 8, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ya number two is the dumbest. I'd take the weight penalty just in case.

After I watched this video I started daydreaming about a receiver hitch winch, hopefully someday I find a need or get a bonus and I'll get one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0z0rME6CPA

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
ditch it. Portable winch time. Use the attachment eyelet and leave an anderson power pole somewhere to power it.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I am definitely leaning towards skipping it. Of course, there's no adding it later because it's a structural issue.

Bumper weight directly translates into lost ground clearance. And the argument in favor of winch convenience is reduced when you have to haul out the winch and attach it to the bumper, etc.

Manual winching is a pain in the rear end (often literally). But it does work. I've never been in a situation where I felt unsure I could get the van unstuck. It's just a hassle.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

There have been portable winches that sit on a plate and have chains or straps going back to rigging points. Warn used to make an xt17 like that. I still think you should throw a powersports winch footprint on there for something like a 5500lb Axon winch. What do your body attachment points look like?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Only strong points are where the bumper bar bolts to the unibody rails.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I've seen subaru guys do them like this. https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/yay-finally-winch-mount-done-for-yall.343298/ Looks pretty decent. Might tie the top end of the mount plate to the tube you were going to run under the grill.

Edit: Here is a trussed out foot down style mount. I think the foot forward is a better idea, but this is simpler to fabricate. https://get-primitive.com/winches/568-primitive-ob-winch-mount.html

Edit Edit: For that second one: "Mount without winch weighs just 17lbs"

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 8, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Those are interesting fabrication pics, thanks.

With that small 4,500 lbs winch, it's lightweight enough that it should be permanently concealed in the bumper, not removable. But buying the winch would likely incur another delay. I guess they can design a spot for it without the winch in hand.

And maybe I want more than just a tube anyway, if I'm losing the OEM steel bumper bar. Going very light probably sacrifices crashworthiness. I wonder how much?

The design tradeoffs are coming into focus.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

The foot bolt patterns are pretty much standardized at 3.0" x 6.59" for the long drums and 3.0" x 4.87" for short drums. Check out https://www.warn.com/axon-vs-vrx for some examples of rope lengths and winch weights. If you go foot forward, the main challenge is getting a fairlead to line up with where the rope unspools, hence the little standoffs on the first link. Note that the fairlead takes a good deal of lateral loads.

Edit: Pretty sure they are M8 bolts on those.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 8, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

This is what the subaru guy used: Superwinch Terra 45 SR ATV Winch

I think it's barely big enough? Van prob weighs 4,500-ish with some cargo in it.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Superwinch recently shuttered its doors when it was picked up by Westin. REALLY not sure about the quality of their products and warranty right now.
Edit: Guess they opened a new office in California. They used to be in Tualatin Oregon.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 8, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ryanrs posted:

This is what the subaru guy used: Superwinch Terra 45 SR ATV Winch

I think it's barely big enough? Van prob weighs 4,500-ish with some cargo in it.
Generally, you need a winch that's pretty far overrated against the weight of the vehicle - quick googling suggests at least 30%, and probably 50%.

I believe: it takes a lot more power to overcome inertia and get it moving than it does to keep it moving (slowly), you can easily run into situations where a rock or a sand pit increase the power required, and anything where you're pulling uphill is going to make it harder too.

Subaru guy might be getting away with it, but I wouldn't count on it working.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I'm going to go the opposite, actually. 1.5x gvwr is a nice rule of thumb, but you really are not going to be burying the wheels up to the frame in mud or performing a vertical lift all that much as you are going to need to move a few inches forward in a rut while you gain traction again. If you need more, carry spare rope and snatch blocks. Be super careful about your return anchors on the vehicle as those loads are cumulative per rope return! I think the 4500lb to 5500lb options are a good balance.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, I've heard 1.5x, too. I think it has to do with the angle of ascent, gravity, and the angle of pull. But the ascent angle is averaged over less than a foot (function of tire size and pressure). If you're pulling yourself out of a ditch or over a rock, the instantaneous angle could easily be 60 deg or steeper.

I'm amused at the idea of having a cheap electric winch for convenience, and a strong backup come-along for serious 'oh poo poo' situations. "Well the fancy machine isn't strong enough, time to do it manually!" It really underscores that I'm buying convenience, not capability or reliability.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

ditch it. Portable winch time. Use the attachment eyelet and leave an anderson power pole somewhere to power it.

FWIW, I do something like this to shift non-running vehicles around. In my case since my intended use is going to be near a 120V outlet, I bought a Harbor Freight 120V AC winch, and then mounted it to an ATV winch mounting plate: https://www.harborfreight.com/atvutility-winch-mounting-plate-60522.html
And added, of all things, a wall hook as a handle:
https://www.harborfreight.com/v-shape-hang-all-68995.html

The winch is mounted backwards so the hook eyes are in the rear.

(my winch came with the grey plate and fairlead eye)

A chain/strap/whatever hooked into those eyes and around a stationary object secures the winch, and then away we go.

In your case, 12V winch with the Anderson quick connects, chained to your D-rings, and you've got a viable option. It can be a little sketch that way, since the winch will be basically suspended in the air in use, but it will work. If you've got the power cable length, you can use it the other way around.

Personally, I'd just use a tube receiver and mount and build the bumper to support that, and also have a receiver on the rear for the same purpose (and also trailers.)

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i know winches are super cool and a big symbol of "offroading" but like

it's still a minivan, they're heavy af (winches not minivans), and some d-rings near the rails + a comealong is going to be much simpler, lighter, cheaper, and more practical

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The ones on that warn page are well under 30 lbs, doesn't seem too bad for a not-racecar

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

taqueso posted:

The ones on that warn page are well under 30 lbs, doesn't seem too bad for a not-racecar

+that much again in reinforcement to mount it, all hanging way out in front

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Given that it's 2wd and you aren't doing hugely technical rock crawling or deep mud with it and know when to call it quits* and get out the winch, I would say the ones posted are fine. Even with the inverse drift brake setup and a complete disregard for common sense* you'll be buried at most half as well as a 4x4 the normal winch sizing rules of thumb are intended for.

* People size those winches as if the driver is from the shallow end of the gene pool and back-and-filled it in a mud hole until they're sitting on the frame.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

pnac attack posted:

i know winches are super cool and a big symbol of "offroading" but like

But it's also fun to say, "No winch, I just pull the van out by hand. I carry a lot of ropes and pulleys and stuff." ...then watch the listener's face as they try to work out if you're full of poo poo.

I came into this hobby with an inherent distrust of 4x4 rigging equipment, and so I've developed my own idiosyncratic recovery style.

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ryanrs posted:

But it's also fun to say, "No winch, I just pull the van out by hand. I carry a lot of ropes and pulleys and stuff." ...then watch the listener's face as they try to work out if you're full of poo poo.

I came into this hobby with an inherent distrust of 4x4 rigging equipment, and so I've developed my own idiosyncratic recovery style.

yeah exactly. to a Real One being able to handle your poo poo without all the tech is cooler anyways

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dang, I must be really cool. I don’t have a winch of any kind :v:

“Oh, that? I’ll just drive out of it.”

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
my recovery gear is an ancient hilift and some tow straps

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Hey minivan goon, since we're on the topic of recovery stuff, you mentioned probably in the 4x4 thread that you've got various lengths of Amsteel blue lines with eyes spliced in to the ends of them. I'm not trying to copy cat you or whatever, but what diameters do you have and what lengths?

Do you have like say one each of Length X, Y and Z? Or 2 of length Y, but one each of length X and Z? Do you wish any of them were longer, or shorter?
I guess the length thing would be specific to a situation, but do you ever wish that instead of Length Z you'd gotten one longer or shorter?

Awesome thread as per usual btw.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

5/16" amsteel blue, with really heavy steel thimbles that I don't need. Normal steel thimbles would be fine/better.

Lengths: 35 ft in the come-along spool, plus extensions: 25, 50, 75, 150. I have never needed the extensions, pulleys, or 70% of the other recovery poo poo I carry. A lot of my stuff is for weird edge cases, because I only travel alone.

I have my ropes made by WesSpur, who mostly sell to professional tree care people. For their splicing service, you call or email a description of what you want, e.g. "5/16 amsteel blue, steel thimbles both ends, 50 ft finished length". Both the quoting and the manufacturing are done by skilled humans, so they can make all sorts of weird poo poo for you. Call them up and chat if you don't know wtf.

Do not buy from Custom Splice (lovely web shop). They are poorly run.

Do buy from https://www.rescuetech1.com, a cool shop with a web 1.0 store (but it works). They carry mostly fire/rescue/emt gear. I like their rope bags.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Word. I've got one of those 3ton come alongs on order with 35 feet of blue on it. And I found a place that sells it in cut lengths and will put eye splices in to it, just wondering what someone who actually has and uses it does. I'm also a weirdo who will probably travel alone so I plan on practicing once my poo poo shows up. In the meantime I'm slowly acquiring various things. Need to pick up a bunch of shackles and maybe a snatch block for 'just in case' purposes.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I've probably complained about this before, but is anyone else scared of snatch blocks held together with circlips? Even some recognizable brands like ARB sell these, which seems sketchy as hell. I dunno, maybe I'm insane and these are actually fine? They look super scary. If you check out amazon reviews, you can find pics of broken snatch blocks that use this design.

It seems like the slightest bending of the side plates, or any kind of off-axis force, and it would just explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Fairly certain they are meant to only be used attached to something like rope, which would (hopefully?) self align / not allow side loads.

Edit: Of course also with tree straps and the like!

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 9, 2021