Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Dave is an ancient feller that sleeps like 4 hours a day and only watches wrestling.

Untrue, he also enjoys Beverly Hills 90210

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i would simply do the thing in a good way instead of the bad way

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Spermgod posted:

i would simply do the thing in a good way instead of the bad way
oh gently caress tony khan’s account finally found

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

i don’t necessarily disagree with your second paragraph but everyone in this forum saying thing they don’t like is what WWE would do is tiresome as gently caress

WWE has made literally every mistake under the sun the past year and a half. They do that dream match for the title poo poo all the time and what happens after? Nobody really cared about the title and forget it was even for the title years later. Don't be insecure or defensive about WWE. Hell, WWE only be associated with things people don't like isnt a good thing.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

RBX posted:

WWE has made literally every mistake under the sun the past year and a half. They do that dream match for the title poo poo all the time and what happens after? Nobody really cared about the title and forget it was even for the title years later. Don't be insecure or defensive about WWE. Hell, WWE only be associated with things people don't like isnt a good thing.
WWE doing a concept badly does not mean the concept is bad

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

RBX posted:

Somebody must not be aware of current WWE to not understand why making the big matches for the title is bad. ( I don't blame you but still)

Kenny has had the title forever. He doesn't need it for these theoretical matches and I PROMISE nobody that doesn't already watch wrestling will give a gently caress I'd the title is on the line or not.

Agree that getting the title off Omega is fine as a precursor to running a series of dream matches with him. Indeed, getting the belt off of him will help add some intrigue to those matches--as it stands, Hangman is the preordained only guy who can dethrone Omega, so get that done with so Omega's dance card can be freed up and the outcomes of what comes next can actually be in some doubt.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Q7kid posted:

Agree that getting the title off Omega is fine as a precursor to running a series of dream matches with him. Indeed, getting the belt off of him will help add some intrigue to those matches--as it stands, Hangman is the preordained only guy who can dethrone Omega, so get that done with so Omega's dance card can be freed up and the outcomes of what comes next can actually be in some doubt.

Yeah this is my thought process. As long as the Hangman/Kenny story is in its current phase, nobody is winning that belt off Kenny which means those dream matches aren't "who's gonna win" it's "How is Kenny going to win" and that's interesting, but I'd much rather Danielson/Omega 2 be up in the air and their following bout be over the title with some mileage in the story.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
All I'll add to this conversation is that AEW has proven that it's at minimum trying it's best to put out a show everyone will enjoy, and even when they make choices that go against how we would have fantasy booked them, the end result is generally fine. Conversations like this feel really important in the moment, but in a few months we'll probably look back and think we were worrying about nothing no matter which way this goes.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I think Kenny Omega finally losing the title to the guy he's been clowning on for years, possibly losing the Elite in the process and finding himself again by going through a series of dream matches is a way more interesting story than just continuing to do the same shtick he's been doing for a year and having these VERY GOOD but also inconclusive dream matches cause he can't drop the title just yet. That is just my opinion though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I hate "WOW 40 POSTS IN A THREAD IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME I WONDER WHAT NEWS HAPPENED?" when it's just discussion but I saw 40 posts in this thread in an hour and was wondering how Dave managed to get himself canceled in the middle of the day.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
thank you for the disclaimer

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I was wondering how Dave managed to get himself canceled in the middle of the day.

he said Raw was good

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

he said Raw was good

He's finally done it.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

he said Raw was good

what a freak!! cancelled!!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

There was no spoiler containment breach on today's WOR, Dave Good.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

karmicknight posted:

I think the idea is that the wwf made their belt meaningless because they kind of throw it around as a prop to make things feel "important" (Rock/Cena 2, The Saga of Golberg, and the Other Saga of Golberg, Big E's recent title win to pop a rating)

While I kind of agree with the general sentiment, if the belt was meaningless then Big E's win wouldn't have done anything to pop a rating. It doesn't mean as much as it could have for sure though.

I don't think putting the belt into a hot program is bad though. The story of Danielson vs Omega is "Who is the best in the company?" so it makes sense that one of them has the title otherwise neither of them should be claiming that. Omega vs Page to see "Can Page finally beat Omega?" doesn't need the title but boy does it make it a lot more satisfying if you also get to see Page win the belt.

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

While I kind of agree with the general sentiment, if the belt was meaningless then Big E's win wouldn't have done anything to pop a rating. It doesn't mean as much as it could have for sure though.

I don't think putting the belt into a hot program is bad though. The story of Danielson vs Omega is "Who is the best in the company?" so it makes sense that one of them has the title otherwise neither of them should be claiming that. Omega vs Page to see "Can Page finally beat Omega?" doesn't need the title but boy does it make it a lot more satisfying if you also get to see Page win the belt.

Omega vs. Page isn't just about their story, though. It's also "Can the Hangman win the big one?," which dates back to All Out 2019 and the loss to Jericho. That story basically requires the title be involved. That Omega is holding it is gravy.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
like the Hangman has to beat either Pac, Kenny, or like Chris Jericho to become world champion. That is the triumph the Hangman needs to achieve to come full circle on his journey. The triumph also needs to include closure on his internal struggle (externalized via his drinking)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

gotta say of all the dumb things WWE does “the title means too much” is a new one to me

I think it’s more that they act like the title is the only thing that matters because the stories behind any of the matches sure as gently caress don’t seem to.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

There was no spoiler containment breach on today's WOR, Dave Good.

Bryan is watching spoilers like a hawk and jumping in any time he thinks Dave's headed that direction.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Page beats Omega, Omega and Danielson in the finals of the Owen Hart cup, winner challenges Page for the belt. There. I booked the PPV and like 2 more big drawing shows.

But it is really, really tiring when "I think AEW might not be doing things 100% awesome at all times" results in the next 7 posts acting like the most lukewarm take is an affront.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

page beats danielson, then page beats omega imo. sure you are giving up a guaranteed big buyrate ppv headlined by omega vs danielson, but this would be the coolest

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Page beats omega, omega beats danielson, danielson goes on a 5 star rampage making every single midcarder in the company while beating them on his way to a title shot where page also goes over danielson.

Easy.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Untrue, he also enjoys Beverly Hills 90210

and Dallas

and bike rides

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Mike broke Bryan on WoL today

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Bit late for this but Bryan’s idea for Jack Evans to lose his hair every year is gold and they should absolutely do it. I hope he messaged Jack with that one and he gets Tony onboard.

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Raffles posted:

Bit late for this but Bryan’s idea for Jack Evans to lose his hair every year is gold and they should absolutely do it. I hope he messaged Jack with that one and he gets Tony onboard.

Plot twist: Jack gets the message, but doesn't pitch it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mooseinfants posted:

100%, this was an all-timer WOL.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

lmao Bryan and the wagyu hot dog gimmicks

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Drakkel posted:

Fine here's my Disgusting Wrong Hot Take: I like Hangman Page and I want him to win the title because that's the biggest story AEW's been telling since day 1 of the company and Bryan Danielson is a legend to the point his matches don't need the title. Kenny and Bryan will go on and have a 7-star match and they can do that without having to gently caress anyone else over in the process.

That's literally it. Why is this such a controversial take? I'm beyond sick and tired of getting screamed at for having the mildest loving disagreement with the mob here.

I actually agree with you - people are defensive and saying don't make comparisons to TNA because its two of the best in the world in a dream match. TNA did that too. Samoa Joe v Kurt Angle. And it was the highest buyrate show ever but killed them in the long run as it killed Joe's momentum dead, had Kurt have to go over, and greatly hosed up TNA's pacing while never hitting that high again with their own talent.

Omega v Danielson 2 can happen whenever, and the fans will always be begging for it, whether its a slow burn or an explosion. Do not rush things to give to peoples baser desires when your thing has been built on long term stories and cathartic payoffs.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The thing is dream matches for the title have the potential to draw more than just dream matches....but it also feels like this is Hangman's time and delaying it again might mean they'll miss the momemnt

Satisfying story endings is the point.

Danielson-Omega is still amazing without the belt, but the belt is needed for the Hangman story.

And yes, the first champion aged 30 is important, you need to make young stars at some point. Moxley has chosen to age 5 years since losing the belt, he's an old man now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mooseinfants posted:

That was loving great. When the producer came on to ask if they were still there was the best :)

Anyway I naturally assumed that all the new posts were about Dave fact-checking Darby Allin's "I've known a million people like MJF" line. :allears:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Jerusalem posted:

That was loving great. When the producer came on to ask if they were still there was the best :)

Anyway I naturally assumed that all the new posts were about Dave fact-checking Darby Allin's "I've known a million people like MJF" line. :allears:

Dave's humor and delivery are so goddamn dry and it's great. I was honestly chalking it up to Dave being Dave before going "Wait, no, this is a joke, I'm getting worked"

he said Raw was good

This isn't exclusive to any one podcast, but it feels like WWE is increasingly getting graded on a gigantic curve compared to AEW.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

My boring take on Kenny vs Hangman.

I want Hangman to be the person who beats Kenny for the title. It's the proper ending to that story. I would feel mildly disappointed with another ending.

I want Kenny to have dream matches with people like Bryan and Punk and I want to go into those matches feeling like anyone could win. I don't need these matches to be for the title as the title isn't an essential part of that story.

As a result I would rather have Hangman take the title off Kenny before Kenny goes into his Dream Match phase.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i think of the ghc title match being 4th in importance on destiny 2005 and while hangman vs whoever while omega vs danielson is the real main event isn’t as egregious as that it’s on the same continuum and i’d rather not see a world title presented that way, i think it ultimately harms the title as well as whoever holds it. i don’t like these narrative-brained takes because many factors go in to booking pro wrestling that other storytelling is not constrained by. the world title should not just be a prop to deliver satisfying conclusions to your stories imo

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 8, 2021

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Twitch chat and Bryan Alvarez is not a healthy combination.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Spermgod posted:

i think of the ghc title match being 4th in importance on destiny 2005 and while hangman vs whoever while omega vs danielson is the real main event isn’t as egregious as that it’s on the same continuum and i’d rather not see a world title presented that way, i think it ultimately harms the title as well as whoever holds it. i don’t like these narrative-brained takes because many factors go in to booking pro wrestling that other storytelling is not constrained by. the world title should not just be a prop to deliver satisfying conclusions to your stories imo

You can have more than one important match on a card. You can have matches happen across longer periods of time than a single event. It doesn't hurt the world title for other matches to also be important.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 8, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
AEW's world title is important because it has lengthy, protected, reigns and the wrestler holding the belt is expected to be "The Guy" and carry T.V. ratings by having great matches regularly. In fact despite what some people might argue even when a champ loses the belt they don't lose their aura of being someone massively important to the promotion.

It's not like WWE titles where holding them means something but are in danger of irrelevance because the titles switch easily and they book gold watch, joke, and repeat champions.

The TNT belt is far less protected but still has a lot of legitimacy because it's associated with great matches and open challenges. The guy holding the belt is clearly marked as a person who AEW wants to showcase.

I think the only blip champion was SCU holding the tag titles. Although, I think I remember liking them at the time, they were just overshadowed by the Hangman and Omega team.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 8, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Putting the inaugural title reign on the least interesting pairing from a three man act was a weird choice for a company pushing tag team wrestling as just as important as singles competition.

But then again, so was putting the titles on two singles guys from another stable and that run was very well received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I can see why Dave thinks they should extend Kenny’s reign a few months for Danielson and Punk programs, but I really don’t think he realizes how over Hangman is and how much he means to AEW’s audience.