Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The Gadfly posted:

All mods should just be torrent :filez:
Modding is supposed to be a hobby, and mods are meant to be freely shared and modified among the community.
I don't support these modders that do this, but I also don't get why you guys support Nexus's involvement.
The problem is that Nexus is trying to monetize modding and turn it into a commercial venture. They want to monopolize the source of where you can get mods.
gently caress that, decentralize it back into just sharing files p2p.
The Nexus has been monetizing mods for the 18'ish years it has been around. This isn't a new thing. Regardless of anyone opinion on that, the fact that keeping the Nexus up and running is people's job has meant that the Nexus is still around and is somewhat of a constant.
Any modding community needs a central repository. One that isn't going away any time soon. There are plenty of examples of sites that went down because the one random dude who maintained it stopped, or the company behind it decided to shut down the server and that took down the community around it with it. Torrents aren't a solution for that since that's still dependent of random people deciding to be seeders to keep files available.

The Nexus is still a lovely place that's responsible for enabling that "you peasant-users must worship us mod-authors" bullshit. But regardless of how bad of a dumpsterfire the place is, it's the place that we got.:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Soonmot posted:

huh there's only two lists that have ordinator listed in the gallery and one of them insults me for wanting to be a sneak thief, so I guess I'm using qwest.

Let's see if I get this right the first time. The instructions are already wonderful telling me to manually download four mods and linking to five.

lol already hung up since I'm not getting a registration email from vector plexus, which wabbajack wants access to

What's the other one, I want to read the description.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

The Gadfly posted:

All mods should just be torrent :filez:

Modding is supposed to be a hobby, and mods are meant to be freely shared and modified among the community.

I don't support these modders that do this, but I also don't get why you guys support Nexus's involvement.

The problem is that Nexus is trying to monetize modding and turn it into a commercial venture. They want to monopolize the source of where you can get mods.

gently caress that, decentralize it back into just sharing files p2p.

Nexus is a file hosting site that makes money in the exact same way every other file hosting site does, and has done so for literally decades. They’re not trying to do anything, hosting mods is and has been their business model for as long as they have had a business model.

It’s also the business model for some of the biggest and loudest assholes in the community, which is why people like, to use a completely random example, Arthmoor made a big dramatic exit and then didn’t actually dramatically exit (he’s even still posting over there, lol).

If Nexus couldn’t monetize, it wouldn’t exist. It was a hobby site until hosting costs became high enough the site owner had the choice of offsetting the expense via advertising or vanishing, and that was way, way, way before it was as big and as popular as it is now, with the sheer level of maintenance a site like that requires (aka, full time employees).

None of this has ever been secret, I don’t know why so many people behave as though it’s a sinister plot to ruin the hobby, it’s the main reason the hobby is as large as it is.

It’s like getting mad at Reddit for having premium memberships because the concept of posting would cease to exist if certain people didn’t grace the internet with their prose, rather than because it’s nesting layout is trash.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

What's the other one, I want to read the description.

Aldrnari

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dear god don't decentralize. Thats already a right pain in the rear end with Sims 4 mods where half the poo poo is locked behind a patreon paywall. Like going after nexus for wanting to monetize mods where you can still get the mods without paying, just at a slower speed, compared to people that flat out will not allow you to have a mod until you fork up cash.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Soonmot posted:

I like how there's a million mods in Qwest but still just the default warpaints. At least I had almost 900 hair styles to choose from and my orc lady is hot, purple, and has antlers.

There's a poo poo ton of new one's in QWEST, it's just under a different tab in Racemenu. There's tattoos for most parts of your body as well if you're running a character wearing skimpy armor.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Nexus would be fine without additional ways of monetization such as restricting their API for use only with premium accounts. File sharing services make their money primarily through ad revenue, which Nexus was already doing. They are just more aggressively monetizing now, and use a small percentage of the profits as an incentive for mod authors to try to restrict their own mods to their platform. This has encouraged the behavior of mod authors that you all are annoyed at.

It's just funny to me that we are cheerleading this monopoly via Nexus, as they incentivize mod authors to only put mods on one platform, rather than supporting an open source solution that doesn't rely on pay 4 convenience tactics. I guess we deserve nothing as a community if we're stupid enough to pick the closed-source monopoly solution over the decentralized, free, open source solution of torrents, and pretend that this will end up better for the end-user. Sure, some obscure mods might stop being seeded eventually, but this can easily be solved by web seeding of torrents. The solution already exists.

Having mods behind Patreon walls is a whole separate issue. This should be against the ToS of the game they're making mods for. It's not the fault of torrents that paywalls exist. If anything, torrenting is a way around paywalls that violate ToS.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I'm not cheerleading a monopoly (although, lol), I'm pointing out how and why Nexus is the way it is, and saying that I'm baffled that this seems to be some strange horror that people have only just noticed because it's doing something that it has always said it could do, but now they can't punish the modding community as easily whenever they get a bee up their rear end. The Nexus saw better return on investment in supporting things like Wabbajack (and making their own version, which they've made noises about for quite a while now), rather than the handful of prima donnas that are endlessly toxic both to users and to Nexus staff, and I'll take the first over the second if I'm choosing, particularly since this most recent flounce has led a number of people to replacing those authors' mods (Qwest ripped almost all, if not all, of Arthmoor's mods out of its list other than the Unofficial Patch, which despite how he behaves is not actually his, though he's repeatedly tried to tank it when he gets mad). Because, yeah, catering to that group has led to no good thing.

In any case, I remember a lot of things about the Morrowind modding scene fondly (mostly that Cathedral concept was far, far more embraced), but the decentralization isn't really one of them, and there's a reason Nexus both sprung up and outlived all of the other sites where you could find those mods. There is, or was, an entire website devoted to trying to recover Morrowind mods that fell off the internet due to modding sites dying (usually from inability to maintain the cost of hosting). P2P isn't a community, swapping between friends doesn't contribute to the hobby as a whole, and even if things went fully :filez:, you'd still...probably have a central site pointing to them all.

Which would eventually spring into a new Nexus, because it turns out people really like this particular format, and don't want to give it up.

I don't see why Nexus turning a profit is a problem. The people who run the site full time don't have endless hours to do both that and hold down another job, and it's not some strange, unusual thing for a website to have employees. They're a file hosting site with a usable interface designed to help people find mods as easily as possible while also showcasing new, popular mods that users might otherwise not notice. Most file hosting sites don't try to incentivize the people they're hosting files for, so it's really weird to be dismissive of Nexus doing so, regardless of how piddly a sum it might be (apparently Arthmoor lives off of it though?). Obviously they're not doing that out of the goodness of their hearts. Why should they? Because it's a hobby site?

Mod authors don't have to host their mods there. Plenty don't. This bunch chose and chooses to do so. A lot of them that flounced came right back, not because there aren't other options (they went to those), but because they also prefer the centralization, and because the general reaction to their leaving was "okay bye" and a number of people either looking for replacements or creating them. There's also the guy who got banned because he threatened to start uploading viruses in retaliation, so lol that particular crew can get hosed.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Nexus turning a profit is a problem because it pushes the hobby of modding from a focus of just sharing mods with the community, to a profit-driven endeavour, which the ToS of the game it's indirectly profiting from seeked to stop in the first place.

The sad part is, Nexus is just a file sharing site with a forum and a decent UI. This is not some revolutionary technology. Yet it seems there's some sort of weird tribalism around Nexus. There are already open source alternatives to file sharing, it's not that hard. These open source solutions can also be automated, web seeded, etc. Trackers, blogs, and forums can be made to point to torrents. Modlists can be made to automatically start downloading all of the necessary torrent files in whatever format desired in one-click, without closed source API authentication.

I get that there are market forces, and the vast majority of people never think about this poo poo, and we end up with boomers telling us that linux and open source is cancer. That doesn't mean that Microsoft's solution is better in the long term.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

No, Nexus is not revolutionary. It's reliable and convenient. For the vast majority of people, that's enough. For end-users there's yet to be a big reason to abandon the platform

Something like what you describe would require an enormous loss of goodwill and legitimacy on Nexus's part, something enough to trigger a mass reaction (sort of how revolutions don't tend to happen in stable countries where the status quo is at least "passable" for the average person). That has yet to happen, which is sort of the point.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Nexus is fine but i am miffed that i forgot my user account that had the life time premium on it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Gadfly posted:

I get that there are market forces, and the vast majority of people never think about this poo poo, and we end up with boomers telling us that linux and open source is cancer. That doesn't mean that Microsoft's solution is better in the long term.

What does this have to do with anything?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Nexus shifted from "I wonder how we can pay for maintenance of the site this year" to "I wonder how much can we increase the profits of the site this year" a while ago and I am simply not interested in (and can't fault anyone pushing back against) the latter. :shrug:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I'm not exactly fanatically in love with Nexus's business model (or of the idea of hobbyist support stuff having a business model) but they offer a mostly reliable, generally convenient service and any alternative would have to be at least as good at doing all the things that Nexus does as Nexus is for anyone to consider switching (absent, again, Nexus completely loving up their goodwill in the community).

Which, to be clear, is completely possible for a not-for-profit wholly-open-source torrent-driven site to do. There's nothing inherent to maintaining a searchable mod database that ties into third-party tools that couldn't be done with those technologies and economic models.

Possible, of course, doesn't mean there's the will for someone to put the time and effort into making it happen. It's all well and good to say that this is a perfect place for a pool, it's something else entirely to pick up a shovel.

And I, er, have a bad back.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

The Gadfly posted:

Nexus turning a profit is a problem because it pushes the hobby of modding from a focus of just sharing mods with the community, to a profit-driven endeavour, which the ToS of the game it's indirectly profiting from seeked to stop in the first place.

lol, no it doesn't.

You want to know who introduced the idea of paid mods as an actual thing that should happen to a wide, wide audience? Bethesda did. The group I'm talking about, however, has whined about wanting to be paid for their creations since time immemorial, nothing about the Nexus turning a profit changed that, and, in fact, that they get any money at all from the Nexus is largely a response to the endless demands for a cut. A cut from the Nexus, a cut from modlist creators, a cut from Youtubers...

Parlor modding is a loving cancer, largely for this reason, because it shifts all the focus from the community working to build neat things in a video game together to a bunch of individuals off in their own little corners that get angry and possessive if you so much as make a mod similar to theirs, that constantly threaten to take their ball and go home confident in the knowledge that they're the only one with a ball, and that feel entirely empowered to drive off anyone who dares challenge them in any way (lol, I got called a pirate for saying their stupid in-game ToS bullshit would piss people off).

A centralized file hosting site making money from hosting files has nothing to do with that, aside from giving a handful of egotists a bigger platform to behave as though they, and only they, are god's gift to modding.

edit: Actually, lemme just drop this random comment I found googling:

quote:

Mod author here. In this comment section are the words of multiple people who have never labored, in their free time, without pay, to create something. They have no idea how much time, effort, and personal sacrifice goes into creating mods. Every minute, every hour spent working on a mod is time not spent with friends and family, time not spent watching shows or movies, time not spent playing other games, and so on. It is a sacrifice creative people make to bring a dream into reality and then, out of the goodness of their own hearts, they share it with others. The way they regard us is disgraceful, disgusting, and the very definition of entitled. They should all be ashamed of themselves.

If this is how someone feels about modding, why the gently caress are they modding? My hobbies aren't things I view as "well I could have been doing something else", like I'm sacrificing my time on something I don't enjoy because of my pure altruistic soul wishing to bring joy to the unwashed masses. If I make something and share it, it's because I wanted to make that thing, and because I wanted to let other people enjoy it.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 7, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Any idea how I see my total armor rating outside of just adding everything together in the armor tab?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If you're in the armour tab in your inventory, it should show total armour (minus invisible modifiers) at the bottom.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

What does this have to do with anything?
Greetings fellow SH/SC poster :pcgaming: or at least I think I recognize you from there

You probably know exactly what I'm referencing, but I'm just illustrating how a proprietary solution can be adopted by most of the market, even though it actively works against the consumer's best interests and isn't the best solution out there. Kind of like what my opinion of Nexus is in the modding space.

kartikeya posted:

If this is how someone feels about modding, why the gently caress are they modding? My hobbies aren't things I view as "well I could have been doing something else", like I'm sacrificing my time on something I don't enjoy because of my pure altruistic soul wishing to bring joy to the unwashed masses. If I make something and share it, it's because I wanted to make that thing, and because I wanted to let other people enjoy it.
I'm not sure why they're modding unless they're doing it just for profit, or they did it for fun before, but decided that they hate dealing with users :shrug:

Anyway, I think I could support efforts to create an open source alternative TheSkyrimBay or whatever, but I don't know if I'd actually do it. I would probably end up having to do some shady stuff to get the project off the ground. I'd probably have to just call it simply a torrent tracker but claim that users are hosting the :filez: completely unrelated to the tracker site. And I am not familiar with the legality of everything with this and Bethesda ToS and such.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Gadfly posted:

er, does it? You can upload and download poo poo there for free. I do it all the time. It's very convenient. Their making a profit doesn't really affect my modding habits.

Bethesda opened the floodgates of paid modder bullshit, and rear end in a top hat single modders have been begging for it too. Arthmoor, for example, thinks he should be showered in money for it.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 8, 2021

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

er, does it? You can upload and download poo poo there for free. I do it all the time. It's very convenient. Their making a profit doesn't really affect my modding habits.
I am fine with the free upload and free download through browser. However, I am not fine with the fuckery around subscriptions, collections, and paywalling api access.

I guess their justification for this is that users using an api bypasses ads, and therefore they make no money on api users while having to pay server costs.

They could set up a torrent tracker for users that aren't paying a subscription for access and restrict these users to these to basically bypass the server costs for these users, but they don't offer this option.

Maybe you have no use for the api, so you don't really care about this part. I maybe wouldn't care either if I never used the api too, but I'm kind of a power user.

The other problem with Nexus is the part I mentioned before about incentivizing mod authors to not want to allow the community to freely share and modify their mods.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 8, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If you're in the armour tab in your inventory, it should show total armour (minus invisible modifiers) at the bottom.

Sometimes I don't see it until I highlight a piece of armor, so maybe make sure you do that.

Doesn't Github host files?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It was in the armor tab but I swear it wasn't there yesterday.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

moreHUD (I think it's this one) also adds an armor rating comparison when you just target armor items whether the armor's in your inventory or not.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Unrelated: Cities of the North - Falkreath is now out, looks like as of yesterday. nine-gear crow, wasn't this the last of the big non-Arthmoor city/town overhauls that was in the works?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Soonmot posted:

It was in the armor tab but I swear it wasn't there yesterday.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Sometimes I don't see it until I highlight a piece of armor, so maybe make sure you do that.

Yeah pretty sure if the piece of apparel the cursor is on doesn't add armor rating it doesn't show.

also if it bugs out for some reason you could always do player.getav damageresist

Burns
May 10, 2008

docbeard posted:

Unrelated: Cities of the North - Falkreath is now out, looks like as of yesterday. nine-gear crow, wasn't this the last of the big non-Arthmoor city/town overhauls that was in the works?

Thanks for the heads up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

docbeard posted:

Yes it is. The guy behind it says he’s now going to remake Dawnstar utilizing what he learned from making Morthal, Winterhold and Falkreath, but I think it’s fine as-sis.

There’s also a remake of the Great City of Winterhold in progress that looks pretty impressive so far but is gonna be a while yet coming out. I’m gonna wait till I see how it mixes with COTN Winterhold because I really like what COTN does with the Jarl’s lodging with that citadel overlooking the town.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That looks really good. Vanilla Skyrim cities are pretty samey and most of them a bit small.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rinkles posted:

That looks really good. Vanilla Skyrim cities are pretty samey and most of them a bit small.

It was also designed to try and match the version of Falkreath that shows up in ESO, so that’s pretty neat too.

Still waiting on patches for Helgen Reborn and JK’s Skyrim before I go anywhere near it in-game, but I can’t wait to wander through it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

docbeard posted:

The ETAC person is back too and updating, so not quite.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

The ETAC person is back too and updating, so not quite.

Nice! Their work was really good too. Hopefully they'll be able to better integrate it into the city and town mods that have cropped up over their hiatus, because I really like that "best of all worlds" feeling. It makes Skyrim seem larger and more expansive. Plus ETAC is the only town mod that touches Darkwater Crossing anymore in a significant way since Arthmoor ripped all his lovely town mods down in a huff. It also has Rorikstead covered too, which is nice because I think The Great Town of Rorikstead relies too much on reused Whiterun assets, so a subtler approach is nicer.

That said, TGC Rorikstead is also like hella old an not indicative of the mod author's style anymore, so I can also see it being remade like Winterhold is currently being.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

Nice! Their work was really good too. Hopefully they'll be able to better integrate it into the city and town mods that have cropped up over their hiatus, because I really like that "best of all worlds" feeling. It makes Skyrim seem larger and more expansive. Plus ETAC is the only town mod that touches Darkwater Crossing anymore in a significant way since Arthmoor ripped all his lovely town mods down in a huff. It also has Rorikstead covered too, which is nice because I think The Great Town of Rorikstead relies too much on reused Whiterun assets, so a subtler approach is nicer.

That said, TGC Rorikstead is also like hella old an not indicative of the mod author's style anymore, so I can also see it being remade like Winterhold is currently being.

If not them, I'm sure someone else will have a shot at city mod patches. I always loved their Darkwater Crossing, too, like it actually made Derkeethus feel like part of the settlement instead of tacked on.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Is there any mod that stops weapons from being unfavorited when you get disarmed?

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I've been using Serio's Hotkeys because it annoys the hell out of me that there's no easy way to hotkey a weapon in the left hand, and it more or less works for that too.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

News about the Anniversary edition, it's going to be a patch for the Special Edition and it's going to totally gently caress up modding. Turn steam updates to the game to 'on launch only', back up your exe and only launch through a mod manager

https://old.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/q6czcc/pc_sse_an_important_psa_regarding_skyrim/

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Helith posted:

News about the Anniversary edition, it's going to be a patch for the Special Edition and it's going to totally gently caress up modding. Turn steam updates to the game to 'on launch only', back up your exe and only launch through a mod manager

https://old.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/q6czcc/pc_sse_an_important_psa_regarding_skyrim/

Jesus, I setup Skyrim with true directional movement, dodge and some other stuff recently. Thanks for the heads up.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Helith posted:

Oof. Yeah, that sounds like Skyrim modding will be hosed for a while until things settle down.

I guess all the Creation Club content will function as DLC you have to buy. But has there been any details about what that "next gen" update they mentioned actually is?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Isn't the next-gen update a console feature?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Should SkyrimSE.exe and the launcher be enough, or should I backup the entire directory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm going to backup the entire folder and disable updates just in case.