Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cael posted:

Gun to everyone’s head: would you rather watch modern SNL or modern Simpsons?

That's easy, simpsons is only a half hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Cael posted:

Modern simpsons easy. It’s 22 minutes as opposed to an hour and a half

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Cael posted:

jokes on you bitch I'm ready to die

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm gonna say SNL, cause every now and then you get a robo chomo

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I watched this weeks SNL. Good. Lord.

How did his nose get more phallic?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/guy_freire/status/1445892549747609601?t=9kmlogT0x-28KW91e8xF7g&s=19

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Cael posted:

I grab the gun and fire

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Heads Up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I watched SNL last week to give critical support to james austin johnson

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Heath posted:

I grab the gun and fire

lol

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

i say swears online posted:

I watched SNL last week to give critical support to james austin johnson

Its funny that SNL spent years with a series of high profile actors doing absolutely dogshit trump and biden impressions and then hired someone who is perfect at them and put him in 70% of the skits in his very first episode

Source: like matt I have the sickness that compels me to watch SNL no matter how bad it gets

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I dunno how Matt suffers through every episode. I was over my parents' for Thanksgiving or something and we watched the Daniel Kaluuya episode and every sketch went on way too long so even the ones that might've had a good core to em sucked. I've seen a bunch of funny sketches on YouTube (most of them cut for time ones which says a lot) but it's a whole different ballgame watching a full episode.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Groovelord Neato posted:

I dunno how Matt suffers through every episode. I was over my parents' for Thanksgiving or something and we watched the Daniel Kaluuya episode and every sketch went on way too long so even the ones that might've had a good core to em sucked. I've seen a bunch of funny sketches on YouTube (most of them cut for time ones which says a lot) but it's a whole different ballgame watching a full episode.

Especially when he has such a low threshold for frustration

I used to feel more dismissive towards him about that trait but in one of the cushvlogs where he talks about his hosed up legs I feel a lot more sympathy for how limited his patience is. If I had to deal with numb and pained legs all the time I'd be irritable, too

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah I still very infrequently see SNL sketches because I have a lone friend who still watches it, and it really seems like such an easy problem to solve. Just write more and much much shorter sketches. Who cares if some of them are bad? I watched the new VHS movie last night and most of the shorts weren't very good, but because it's an anthology I knew another one was coming up soon and I might as well stick around. I can forgive them for being unfunny writers because that's a matter of talent, but I truly don't understand what their reason is for not identifying and fixing the length issue.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Its funny that SNL spent years with a series of high profile actors doing absolutely dogshit trump and biden impressions and then hired someone who is perfect at them and put him in 70% of the skits in his very first episode

Source: like matt I have the sickness that compels me to watch SNL no matter how bad it gets

i absolutely have the same condition. JAJ probably had the best debut episode of literally anyone; they never have the new people in so many sketches, let alone centerpiece in the cold open. i'm really happy for the guy. i liked the cumtown-esque Cars 4 sketch

Groovelord Neato posted:

my method is the avclub review posted a few hours after so i can pick and choose

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's only about 70 minutes long commercial-free on Hulu; I watch it on the treadmill late Sunday morning after church.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Chad Jihad posted:

I'm gonna say SNL, cause every now and then you get a robo chomo

yea 'simpsons is only a half hour' is easy but if the question is would I rather watch three modern simpsons in a row or one snl episode I'd pick the one snl easy, I have way better odds of at least getting the soothing balm of robo chomo or poo poo like the lifetime movie gameshow.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i pretty much like any beck bennett sketch where he plays a variation on "dude who hosed up and can't admit it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUzGrzsYqH4

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

i pretty much like any beck bennett sketch where he plays a variation on "dude who hosed up and can't admit it"

yea any time he's the main character it has I Think You Should Leave level 'the entire joke is just one awkward situation getting insanely more absurd' writing and that's more fun than any Simpsons poo poo has been.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
i haven't watched SNL in a decade but watched up to the cars sketch to support jaj too

didn't really care for his impressions. Larry the cable guy was really dire

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

papa horny michael posted:

didn't really care for his impressions. Larry the cable guy was really dire

That's how Larry the cable guy actually sounds though (which is also a fake accent so its like a copy of a copy)

The only reason I knew who he was before this was his pitch perfect trump impression though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's the only reason anyone knows him, yeah. anything to get baldwin's trump the gently caress off the stage

vvv if i were him i'd be praying to every diety possible that trump gives it a shot

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 7, 2021

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Wolfsheim posted:

That's how Larry the cable guy actually sounds though (which is also a fake accent so its like a copy of a copy)

The only reason I knew who he was before this was his pitch perfect trump impression though

He's perfectly positioned for Trump to run for president again.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Nothus posted:

He's perfectly positioned for Trump to run for president again.

kind of my assumption. lorne got him early to test him, bc of those extra long snl contacts

i know how larry the cable guy sounds. blue collar dvds would be on loop every house you went to in the south, until that guy with his puppets was around

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Heath posted:

I grab the gun and fire

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

papa horny michael posted:

kind of my assumption. lorne got him early to test him, bc of those extra long snl contacts

Even as a kid, I remember noticing and being amused at Tim Meadows being on the show for. so. long.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/mike-myers-monologue/n10973

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Wasn't robo chomo on madtv?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Ah poo poo no it wasn't, I take back my objection

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I literally just rewatched robo chomo because of this and gently caress it's still easily one of the funniest sketches

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that sketch has way way more dislikes than the average sketches they put up lol

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

the SNL pre-taped shorts are so much better than the long torturous live skits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSvNhxKJJyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je1NIf8GeeY

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Getting some laughs out of SNL or the Simpsons is easy if your tastes haven't fossilized yet or if you don't need fresh adrenochrome to cum.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao yeah these types of sketches are great. Beck and Kyle put out the best poo poo but it's like 3/4 of the Cut for Time sketches.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cael posted:

I haven't seen a whole episode of either in years, but I think I'd take three Simpsons over one SNL. I assume Simpsons doesn't, like, openly fawn over Robert Mueller?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErhaWVG0o1I

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh God, I watched almost 12 seconds of that.

So about the latest pod; these guys are cool, but mobchat makes me miss Mike Recine.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah this is worse than snl

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Half the time someone posts a plot summary in the GBS Simpsons thread I have to google it because they all sound like shitposts.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

snl is 90 minutes? jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I've never made it past that god drat announcer

hoooorAAtio SAAAAAAAANZZ!!!