Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

BananaNutkins posted:

I would love to definitively out his charity as scummy, but unfortunately they can hide behind excuses like "We don't even touch most of the money, it goes directly to charity." Until then, I have to presume innocence. His blog posts and interviews have outed him as a human being of questionable ethics, so it would not be surprising in the least. Joss Whedon is, after all, his master.

Well part of the issue is we don't know how much money they actually bring in because of their revenue recognition policy.

for context I have a master's degree in accounting and I'm the director of finance of a 501(c)(3) and I am saying they are definitely hiding things, and probably do not deserve their tax exempt status because at this point I think the main purpose of worldbuilders is to benefit Rothfuss, and any dollars they pass through along the way are mostly incidental.

I do think the first couple of years, when he was less of a has-been, they raised quite a bit of money and did pass it along to charities. But since then less so.

They actually have a whole section about vetting charities, and it's kind of hilariously hypocritical since they violate many of their own rules, as well having a big section on why "overheard isn't necessarily bad" but of course they are a "charity" that doesn't actually do anything other than pass through funds so all their overhead is effectively wasted dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Pay your taxes, Patrick.

Also, write the book.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The charity's entire purpose is to once a year cut a check to Heifer International.

After paying a half dozen salaries and six figure rent to the same person who founded the charity.

It's extremely reasonable to assume its scummy without them disclosing their entire financial details, intake and all.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I guess I was just worried I was being biased do to my intense dislike of Patrick. I'm glad other people have come to the same conclusion independently. Seems like a pretty good scam to pay your side chicks and, I don't know, a building with a bunch of massage tables and lube or whatever.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's easy to look at some of the people running around on God's Green and instinctively go easy on rothfuss because he's definitely not on the list of History's Greatest Monsters. his grifts are just enough so he can live an easy life of cheerios rather than gain excessive wealth, i haven't heard any stories of him really crossing the line like everyone's buddy vic, and so on

but he still for sure for sure sucks rear end

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
In his defense, he is constantly losing a ton of money because he's investing in geek/gamer startups, so he need some kind of steady income. Setting up a charity that would get a C ranking on those charity rank lists isn't really the worst thing in the world, and I wouldn't even assume he's paying his side chicks or abuse victims, probably just people in his friend group who needed jobs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BananaNutkins posted:

As much as I want to hate on it, the objective part of me thinks that it's one of the only ways to ethically make use of celebrity for the purpose of increasing charitable donations. I don't like Rothfuss and maybe there is something scummy going on (I think most of the staff are young women, which in any other situation I'd be like, sure, but...Rothfuss.)

Celebrities can and do work directly with actual charities all the time though. Creating a charity of your own to funnel money to the charities actually doing the work will always come across as questionable.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Oh, there are 31 posts in the thread, maybe a book preview dropped or something?

Oh, no, this is Rothfuss.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's reasonable these days to ensure that authors are not morally questionable before you go not reading the books they're not writing.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

BananaNutkins posted:

a charity to raise awareness of other charities

this sounds like one of those xzibit pimp my ride memes

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

pentyne posted:

I wouldn't even assume he's paying his side chicks or abuse victims, probably just people in his friend group who needed jobs.

You just reminded me of working for a small business owner who “hired” his baby mommas as “writers” for his blog sites so he could give them child support without his wife noticing.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That rules.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

You just reminded me of working for a small business owner who “hired” his baby mommas as “writers” for his blog sites so he could give them child support without his wife noticing.

Story time?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't think Tesla qualifies as a small business anymore.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I haven't watched it but Ol' Patty was a guest this week on Polygon's youtube boardgame series Overboard playing a game called Fiasco.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Was this game about Patrick Rothfuss’ career?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Fiasco is a roleplaying game about overconfident idiots and their amazingly stupid plans, so yeah, kinda?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Zing!

Write the book, Patrick.

I wonder if he physically tightens up whenever someone mentions the third book nowadays.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
Five more years and he'll pass Duke Nukem Forever

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
https://twitter.com/PatrickRothfuss/status/1442938556855427074

Write the book list, Patrick.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Sure can, Patrick! That’s what those of us who completed 5th grade English call ‘an outline’!

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
Silence

• No music
  • The other one
  • Man waiting to die

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I don't know, wasn't the draft finished 5 years ago according to you?

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008

Honestly, at this point, I'm going to go ahead and guess no, Patrick. No, you cannot.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

You can't, here's why:

• You never had much talent to begin with, and never developed what you did have b/c of your freakish and undeserved success
  • You lack work ethic
  • You don't ever really finish anything
  • You created way too many plot threads
  • You're high on the smell of your own farts
  • You've actively courted what celebrity you have and;
  • Are too much of a disappointment of a human to give it up;
  • If you ever do fart out the final chapter of your magnum opus you'll become a joke

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
In theory, sure, because there are plenty of competent writers that would anonymously write a book from an outline. In practice, no, because that sould require finishing an outline.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The book is an outline in three parts:

- an introduction of the premise
- three supporting points
- a conclusion

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the impatient, drank-whiskey sound of an editor waiting to die

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Man, it's been ten years since the last book (1st March 2011). He probably delivered it a year before that. So eleven years later and still at the outline stage huh.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I thought he already outlined the entire story.

Now he has to go back and...write the outline?

Hack fraud.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Writing a list still involves writing so no, Rothfuss can't do it because he's a lovely hack and a fraud.

OTOH, no matter how stupid Doors of Stone were to turn out it'd still probably sell a shitload of copies and have idiots rant and rave about how amazing and deep it is.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

OTOH, no matter how stupid Doors of Stone were to turn out it'd still probably sell a shitload of copies and have idiots rant and rave about how amazing and deep it is.

The worse it is the more idiots will laud it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

• Kvothe kills a king
  • It looks really cool
  • Cobblestones are irreplaceably shattered by magic
  • All the women want to do him!!
  • Except for Denna, the stupid whore (HEY EDITOR: how do I say she's a stupid whore in a sex-positive way??)
  • gently caress, what else did I say was gonna happen in this one

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Antivehicular posted:

• Kvothe kills a king
  • It looks really cool
  • Cobblestones are irreplaceably shattered by magic
  • All the women want to do him!!
  • Except for Denna, the stupid whore (HEY EDITOR: how do I say she's a stupid whore in a sex-positive way??)
  • gently caress, what else did I say was gonna happen in this one

I like to think that there is a chalk outline of the body that can't be scrubbed away.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
I think the only thing I would respect at this point would be if he went full Rothfuss and had Kvothe use his ninja/Faerie sex skills to gently caress his way to victory over the Dark Lord or whatever the gently caress the Final Boss is.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I thought he already outlined the entire story.

Now he has to go back and...write the outline?

Hack fraud.

I assume what he means there is that all he has is his original outline and he would like to just sell that, thanks

rothfuss delete the book

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Chicken Butt posted:

I think the only thing I would respect at this point would be if he went full Rothfuss and had Kvothe use his ninja/Faerie sex skills to gently caress his way to victory over the Dark Lord or whatever the gently caress the Final Boss is.

It turns out the Dark Lord is actually The Hottest Chick Ever, She Who Cannot Be Boned

and yeah, Kvothe bones her

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If he were to ever write the book I'm 100% certain that when Kvothe murders Denna it'll be for reasons that totally aren't because she rejects him.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I just started reading the first book for the first time. I have friends that are very excited about reading it. I'm twenty pages in and so far, this is not as good as wheel of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LionArcher posted:

I just started reading the first book for the first time. I have friends that are very excited about reading it. I'm twenty pages in and so far, this is not as good as wheel of time.

My advice: read thru the books before reading this thread. There is a reason why the first book hooked a lot of folks.

Then come back and complain with us.